Create Account

Steele relieved to have first game behind him

Whalers Steele The Game in the 3rd

[Image: hartford-whalers-geoff-sanderson-219-the...7601-p.jpg]

The Vancouver Whalers played their first game with new comer Shanye Steele playing on the first pairing on the blue line, and if this first game is a sign of things to come the Whalers should be feeling a bit better about there chances in moving deeper in the playoffs.

The Whalers shut down the mighty Detroit Falcons to a single goal, handing them there second regulation loss of the season.

Steele was given ample time and did not disappoint.

Steele was on the ice for no goals against, and started the play for the Whalers final goal.

"I was super excited, I had a lot of jitters, it was hard to focus right away I was a bit too pumped up. But I got into a rhythme and got to stick to my game. Really it was all thanks to the coach, he allowed me to play a ton of minutes and that let me get into a groove.." - Shanye

Steele played 5:32 on the penalty kill, killing of all the time he was once the ice for. Penalty kill was a big factor in this game, the Whalers gave up five powerplays to the Falcons dangerous power play unit but they were only able to cash in once with the man advantage.

Steele's stat line was rounded out with a shot two hits and a blocked shots, and played 26:42 of ice time, almost a fifth of which was on the penalty kill.

"I learned a lot from that game, I'm going to work on my skating a lot more, some endurance and puck control to try to really smooth out my game right now. I'm still a bit choppy but I'm happy with my first game, only because we won." - Steele

"This was a huge game for us, we know the falcons are the top team in our league and if we want to be the best team we need to be able to beat them. I think this showed us that, hey, we can beat these guys. But it's a long season, this is only one game, and this is only the regular season, so we're all taking this with a grain of salt. We need to just look forward and keep building." - Steele

The Whalers record their 14th win of the season and maintain their eight point lead over the second play Prince George Firebirds.

Valentine was asked for a quote after the game about playing with Steele.

"Slut." - Valentine

Steele was asked for a quote after the game about playing with Valentine.

"He moves the puck well, he's a smooth skater, he makes the game easy. I pass him the puck and he can move it and do good things with it. I'm feeling a bit more confident with the puck on my stick made a few confident passes and carried the puck with a bit more authority, but still when I'm in doubt I can pass it out to Valentine and feel good about that." - Steele

The Vancouver Whalers play their next game as the second part of a back to back with the Falcons. Vancouver will look to use tomorrow's game as a chance to even up with the Falcons in the standings.

543 Word - 1 Image

That sounds just like me!

Payment:

Word Count: 553
Professionalism/Thoroughness: 9/10
Interest: 9/10
Form: 8.5/10

Payment: 300k

Comments: Good read Cheers couple minor grammatical errors but good job Smile

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers