Create Account

Chiefs Preview

Another season down, and another season coming up. After a Season 13 which saw the Edmonton Blizzard take home the championship, the off season went into full swing as teams looked to free agency and the junior draft to improve their teams in needed areas.

Today we will be focusing on the Minnesota Chiefs, a team that lost in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Manhattan Rage in five games.

Last season, Minnesota welcomed in a new GM in Kurtis Hunter, former player for the Chiefs. Fan favorites Emma Watson and Ja'far Dar were lost in the off season through free agency and a trade, respectively.

The Chiefs were able to bolster their aging defense by adding Teemu Nurmi from West Kendall and Braden Carlzner from Edmonton.

The draft was a rather quiet one for the Chiefs, who were without a first round pick. Minnesota and their management were able to make quality picks with what they had. The Chiefs drafted forwards Katsu, Bouchard, Lokt, and Meister. The Chiefs also selected goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.

Now we will take an in depth look at the key Minnesota players for season 14, with comments on each player from Chiefs captain, Jackson Turska.

FORWARDS

Nick Fisher
[Image: 8467370.jpg]

Becoming a household name in the city of Minnesota, Nick Fisher has solidified himself as one of the leagues top scorers year to year. In season 13, Fisher led the Chiefs in points with 47. A great shot and the ability to find his linemates has proven successful for Fisher since his entrance into the league, and he has led the deep scoring threat in Minnesota for the past few seasons. Fisher is headed into the final year of his contract with the Chiefs, and his future is uncertain at the moment. If Fisher can keep up what he has been doing in Minnesota for multiple seasons, it will definitely make for an interesting off season for the winger.

"Fisher, although quiet, has been a great leader for the Chiefs since the day he stepped foot in the locker room. He is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen, both on and off the ice. Fisher is the kind of teammate that everyone hopes to have, and it is my hope that him and I can celebrate even more championships together." said Turska.

Rashad Thomas
[Image: 1490.jpg]

A fresh face that came to Minnesota this off season was winger Rashad Thomas. Playing last season with the Toronto North Stars, Thomas put up a respectable 29 points while also putting up 112 hits. Thomas possesses the skill set to become one of the leagues best overall forwards. With the ability to score partnered with the ability to hit, Thomas is on the verge of a breakout season. With his two way style of play, it would not be a surprise to see Thomas compete for the Chiefs scoring title, while also punishing opponents along the boards.

"I think I speak for everyone in Minnesota when I say how excited we are to have Rashad here. Having played against him before, I know how tough of a competitor he is, and I know that the way he plays will sit well with the fans and the team. Thomas is the kind of guy that a GM hopes to have a full team of." said Turska.

Daisuke Katsu
[Image: 8460541.jpg]

The next forward on the list is Daisuke Katsu, Minnesota's first selection at the 16th pick in round two. Katsu is grinder who led the NWJHL with an incredible 143 hits in season 13. While he may be able to grind out hits, Katsu possesses good scoring ability as shown by putting up 15 points. Katsu no doubt will have to work hard to become a well recognized player in the league, but he has the potential to become one of the best grinders in the SHL.

"Taking Katsu where we did was a steal, in my opinion. I feel that this team already has a lot of high point producers, but lacks the physicality that some other teams have. Drafting a guy like Katsu and picking up a guy like Thomas instantly changes that. I was able to watch the kid play a couple times with my alumni Knights, and damn does he play hard. I am glad that we drafted Katsu, because I know that one day everyone will remember the name." said Turska.

Alicia Keys
[Image: 4fdf48ca6569f639cfdc6a4718798483.jpeg]

Alicia Keys is a winger who has yet to be able to really make an impact on the league. But this year is looking different. After a disappointing season in the SHL, Keys has completely changed her mindset and is ready to take the next step. With only two points in season 13, management and the city of Minnesota was not sure how Keys would respond in the off season. But she did respond, by working. Keys has been working on all aspects of her game, and has looks of becoming a crucial depth scorer for the Chiefs this season. She enters the final year of her contract, so this year will prove whether or not she is serious about staying in Minnesota.

"Keys is great girl to have on the ice. We don't see her in our locker room-we are still working on getting those to be co-ed. However, I have seen a complete change of character from Keys, and this season is going to be a good one for her. I think she will climb up the scoring leaders this season, and I hope she shows why we should keep her here in Minnesota." Said Turska.

Reggie Williams
[Image: 8469544.jpg]

Always one of the most skilled and talented forwards in the league, Reggie Williams knows that he needs to excel in the offensive zone for the Chiefs to be successful. Always known for his scoring ability, Williams is coming off a season in which he put up 40 points-good for second on the team. Williams was also second on the Chiefs with 137 hits. Williams was also critical in the faceoff dot, where he posted an amazing 56%. Being able to score, while also being a skilled forward in the defensive zone has given Williams a very storied career. Look for him to once again compete for the top scoring honors for the Chiefs.

"We have been incredibly lucky to have Williams in Minnesota. He has proven season after season that he will score, he will assist, he will win faceoffs, and he will hit. He is an incredible talent, and a true superstar in the league. Great locker room guy who shows his leadership through his play and his quiet demeanor. Going to be a superstar for as long as he stays in the league." said Turska.

DEFENSE

Braden Carlzner
[Image: 8474151.jpg]

An off season addition for the Chiefs was defenseman Braden Carlzner. The young defenseman played his season 13 in Edmonton, where he put up 14 points and 54 hits to go along with 24 shot blocks. Carlzner is a very talented defender who has great scoring abilities tailored with the ability to shut down forwards. This combination has gotten Carlzner to where he is now, and he is sure to thrive in the defenseman-rich Minnesota. Expect an even higher points count and more hits and shot blocks this season from Carlzner.

"When I heard the news that Carlzner was coming here to Minnesota, I told Hunter that he did a great job. Seeing Carlzner play on the other blue line for a few seasons, it is clear to me that he is one of the most talented young defensemen in the SHL. His patience with the puck and ability to just hassle forwards was enough for me to know that we were really getting someone special in Carl. If he keeps working at it like he is, he'll be one of the top defenseman in the league without a doubt." said Turska.

Jackson Turska
[Image: 8470607.jpg]

Longtime captain Jackson Turska recently signed a deal that would keep him in Minnesota through season 21. Although point production stayed up, Turska's hits and shot blocks were down. It looked as if the veteran defenseman had finally started to slow down a bit. Turska noted to us that he did feel a little slower last season, especially in the playoffs. "I didn't feel as fresh in the legs as I did earlier in my career." Turska said. "But I am going to work hard this off season, and show the league that I still have plenty left in the tank.

Commenting on Turska, longtime defensive partner Sean Stevenson had this to say, "Turska sucks."

Sean Stevenson
[Image: 8470600.jpg]

Sean Stevenson may not be the most popular name around the league, but fans and teammates in Minnesota sure as hell know him. Stevenson has become one of the predominant figures in Minnesota hockey, largely in part to his physical defensive style and ability to shut down opposing offenses. Although known for his defense, Stevenson put up 26 points and added 86 hits and 47 shot blocks. Not flashy, Stevenson won't always get his name in the headlines, but will always find a way into the box score. Whether it's assisting on a goal, or getting the momentum swinging hit, Stevenson has consistently been a key player for the Chiefs.

"Stevenson is the most underrated player in the league. I've said it for years, and I'll still say it now. I don't think I would be the player I am today without him. Whenever I misplay a puck or take a bad angle, he is always there to pick me up. I can tell you that without Stevenson playing defense for us, we would not have won 2 cups. The guy is a horse who just won't quit on a play. I look forward to playing with Stevenson for many years to come." Said Turska.

Jon Doran
[Image: 8470613.jpg]

Always reliable, Jon Doran plays as fine of defense as anyone in the league. With a very smart style of play, Doran often finds himself taking one for the team or laying someone out. Never one to score, Doran had 11 points last season-all on assists. The Chiefs don't mind that, though. Doran's teammates know that when he comes on the ice, opposing teams will have a very hard time lighting the lamp. Doran has become a veteran of the league, and a legend in a Chiefs jersey.

"Doran and I go way back. We have been playing together on the Chiefs since the year they entered the league. It has truly been an honor to play with a guy who knows so much about the game and what a takes to be a shutdown defender. He has an incredible hockey sense and every night just impresses me with his play. Him and I have played in every single game in Chiefs history, and I hope that competition continues...unless something tragic were to happen to him...but really I can't wait to continue to learn from Doran as we play beyond this season in Minnesota" said Turska.

Teemu Nurmi
[Image: 8474578.jpg]

Another newly acquired Chief this off season was Teemu Nurmi. Coming off a career year in West Kendall where Nurmi put up 30 points, 101 hits, and 69 shot blocks, Nurmi hopes to have the same success in Minnesota. Nurmi is an excellent scorer with great hands, which correlates into his ability to score from the blue line. He is able to find his forwards down low, and is able to target opposing forwards down the boards. Blocking shots is the young defender's specialty. Nurmi is never one to back down when someone winds up for a howitzer, and will bleed for his team until the final horn sounds. A warrior on the ice, Nurmi will fit in perfectly with the tradition of Minnesota hockey.

"Like Carlzner, when I heard that Nurmi was going to be a Chief, I smiled and said to myself, 'my god...I'm the worst defenseman on this team.' We have so many great overall defenseman, and Nurmi is exactly that. He will do whatever it takes for his team to win. Whether he is putting up multiple point games or just blocking every shot coming his way, the whole arena can feel his presence on the ice. I'm an extremely excited to see what Nurmi brings to our blue line, where no one will want to cross his path." said Turska.

We caught up with Nurmi coming out of a bar. When asked if he was excited to be a Chief, he resonded, "Fuck you Chiefs."

Benoit Fortescue
[Image: 8471769.jpg]

Fortescue was a late season addition to the Chiefs in season 13, as he started the season in West Kendall. Fortescue was a brick wall on defense, finishing top ten in both hits and shot blocks. With his large stature, Fortescue strikes fear into his opponents as soon as they jump on for their shift and see who is ahead. Fortescue has good offensive ability, finishing last season with 7 goals and 24 points. Fortescue completes the Chiefs defense that already has so much balance and depth. He is sure to be in the top ten for his defensive stats once again with the chances that will arise in Minnesota.

"Fortescue was a guy that I didn't know much about...until I saw him on the ice. The dude looks like he's 7'2 on skates and I just did not want any part of him. As soon as he showed up in Minnesota, I was relieved that I wouldn't have to play against him. He is going to fit in very well with these defensive pairings that we have here, and I believe that he will have even more success playing here in Minnesota. We are fortunate enough to have Fortescue and this incredible defense here in Minnesota." said Turska.

GOALIES

Brandon Sawyer
[Image: 8471239.jpg]

The backbone of the Chiefs since his first game in Minnesota, Brandon Sawyer will once again be counted on heavily in season 14. Sawyer has always understood his role for the Chiefs, and his unreal playoff performances show just that. He is a playoff MVP winner, and is constantly at the top of the league statistics wise. Sawyer finished last season with a 25-16-3 record, .913 save percentage, and a 2.22 goals against average. Still working to be the best, Sawyer will be ready to make another run at the cup. His time in a Chiefs jersey may be running down, but he and his teammates know how much it would mean to get his name on the trophy one last time.

"What is there to be said about Sawyer anymore...the guy is unbelievable. Every season, just as you think it might be the year he finally takes a dip, he comes out and amazes again. We have put so much pressure on Sawyer since the day he came to Minnesota, and never once has he complained or cracked under the pressure. It'll be a sad day in Minnesota when Sawyer finally hangs up the skates, but I don't think he'll be forgotten in this city anytime soon." said Turska.

Sergei Bobrovsky
[Image: 8475683.jpg]

Sergei Bobrovsky is a newly drafted goalie from the Montreal Impact. Bobrovsky was drafted with the 30th pick in the third round of the SHL draft. In a draft where every pick was crucial, some feel that Bobrovsky could be a steal. If he continues to work on his overall game, this kid has a bright future ahead of him in the SHL.

"Getting Bobrovsky where we did was great for us. With the news that Sawyer may be retiring soon, we're going to need someone to fill the void. I truly believe that Bobrovsky could be that guy. Like any rookie, it will take some time to get used to the SHL, but he seems like the kind of guy who is a quick learner, and I can't wait for him to step into a bigger role as we see him grow.

That's it for tonight's coverage of the Minnesota Chiefs. Here's to a great season 14 and many more to come! Cheers

Roughly 2,654 words and 13 player pictures.

Yea I think the chiefs can make it far with their depth and don't worry about keys she gonna go ham this season

Doubt is a dream killer

good luck Chiefs Cheers

Looking forward to play the 6th consecutive season a playeroff series against you guys :D

Ilike Great work!

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Hell ya she is Sarm!

Thanks Joe, good luck to you guys too. Always love the Steelhawks Chiefs playoff matchups!

Thanks Toast!

Minnie's D is stacked

[Image: kesler.gif]
[Image: vgIymom.png]

Btw its like u found the ugliest alicia keys photo n put it on here shame on u :(

Doubt is a dream killer

Great article!

Chiefs Ilike

Sorry Sarm. :(

Thanks guys, appreciate it!