Create Account

Nick Brain talks Draftee Showcase, WJCs, future plans after Locker Cleanout

(I think word count is around 1450, didn't get an accurate check before applying the bold and italic tags.)

---

The mood was somber, yet strangely optimistic at the InGen Arena in Denver, Colorado today. The task at hand was the Colorado Raptors cleaning out their lockers, after falling in 6 games to the Detroit Falcons in the semifinals of the SMJHL playoffs. The somberness was due to the loss, the optimism, just like last year, was that there were signs that the Raptors could take the big step forward next year and claim the Four Star Cup.

One of those signs was the promising 3rd round pick, the British power forward Nick Brain. Nick was one of several Raptors who were on fire offensively during the two surprise series wins over Lethbridge and Anchorage, registering 5 goals and 4 assists in the 2 series. Nick benefited from a bump in ice time due to reshuffled lines, and the performance was a far cry from a rather underwhelming rookie season of 7 goals 6 assists in 50 games. However, Nick Brain, again like several of his teammates, didn't produce in the Falcons series, as the tough Detroit checkers dulled the sharp Raptors offense. Nick broke a six game pointless streak with a goal in the opening minutes of Game 6, but it wasn't nearly enough as the Raptors fell 6-2. Despite all this the winger impressed in the postseason and has been highly regarded as one to watch amongst the scouts, finishing near the Top 10 in the TPE Scouting System ratings on several occasions. We caught up to the rookie and discussed several topics with him, such as his hopes for next year, the upcoming SHL draft and draftee showcase series, the upcoming World Junior Championships, and his overall thoughts on the season that passed........

On his overall season performance: "I'm actually a bit disappointed with how things turned out. It was rough going for the whole year cause I was on the 4th line, learning the system, still learning how hockey in the top tier of North America works, I was far away from home. But I finally started to gel with the team, and then they give me a bigger role and I didn't play well against Detroit. I played well against Lethbridge and Anchorage, but I didn't play well against Detroit. They had a bit too much experience and were really well prepared for us. I wanted to do more, I wanted to be the hero, but it didn't pan out. But I'll be back next year, I'll work hard in training camp, and I'll get them back. This year was the learning experience I guess.......... and next year I show the J what I've learned."

On the Jean-Pierre Gay ejection: "That was bulls---. I don't care if I get fined by the league, that was bulls--- and they should know that. JP wasn't picking on the guy, thats what the instigator penalty is for. He started, the Detroit guy accepted, and JP gets ejected? Let us fight without any of the red tape and crap like that. That fight was fine, it ended in a draw, no one got hurt badly, we got a motivational boost to start things out, and then they eject JP. Its a farce. That was worse than the calls made on me in the prospect game. Just let us fight."

On his plans for next season: "I'm hoping I can stay here. The coaches have outlined a training plan for me, so I'll work hard over the offseason, talk to the trainers, and work hard on my game. I'll be working hard on defensive fundamentals, I felt that was one area of my game I need to improve on to be a top guy in the league.

......My goal for next season is to be somewhere on the Top 2 lines, and I want to make alternate captain, if we end up having a spot open. I'm a bit of a father figure to the rookies in a way, had a bunch of them over for Christmas dinner who didn't have family in the area, and I try to take care of them on the ice when things get rough. I like to think I'm a good leader and that people respect me, and I want to lead by example and take us to the Cup next year."

On the upcoming draft: "Several teams have reached out to me, asked about my plans and style and whatnot, if I'd be interested in coming to play for them. I'm sure they've had a bunch of scouts at our games watching guys like Scar [Michael Scarn] and Nuts [Knute Knurtsson] and Nastya [Anastasia O'Koivu] and all our other rookies too. My agent's said that I'm rated highly by most teams and could go early in the draft, which is great news. I'm looking forward to hearing my name called."

Special preferences for his future SHL team?: "I'll just be happy to get picked to be honest, but if I had to choose...... I'd say Calgary, simply to be close to my family back home. Edmonton too wouldn't be bad for that either. Being a part of the expansion teams could be really cool, I'm glad we've added more teams to show our sport on a bigger stage. Again though, it'd be an honour just to get picked."

On the SHL Draftee Showcase: "I did get invited to attend, and I'll be heading to Anaheim for the camp on a flight tomorrow, I'm going with Scar and Nuts, and I think Nastya and a couple of the Smebs will be coming along later. Its an exciting trip, and I'm looking forward to being coached by a legend in Anatoli Terrorov, I'm hoping to learn a lot from him and take Team World to victory."

On Team North America coach Dan Curry: "He's been talking a lot about me, and I'm kinda disappointed by it. People make fun of him for being a relic and an old fogie and all that, but I think hes got some good points sometimes, I enjoyed hearing him rant as a kid, and he was a very good coach in his day. He probably still will be in this series, hes certainly got talent to work with. But him picking on me for not being Canadian, whatever. I'm not a European coming in to take spots from a Canadian kid and I don't get why he thinks that way. I wasn't born here, but my mother was. I'm a Canadian citizen through her, and I'm here in America on a legal work visa. We had lawyers on it, I'm not breaking any laws, yet hes making me look like a thief. I got my spot in peewee, in bantam, because I EARNED it with my play. I didn't take a spot from someone that deserved it more than me. I wasn't brought in cause I was European, I would've stayed in Shrewsbury if my mom wanted me to. She wanted me to come to Canada to take the next step, and because she had a job down there. So we did it, I went to play hockey, I made every team I tried out for fairly, and now I'm in the J with coaches saying I belong here. Who am I stealing a spot from? Does he think the entire Team World doesn't deserve to be here too? Cause if he does hes just........wrong. So wrong."

On the World Junior Championships: "Still waiting to hear back on that. I'm really hoping to go to their camp after the Draftee Showcase and make the team. Last year I couldn't get paperwork going in time so I couldn't come in and play for the British Isles out of bantam. This year I've got my papers in order and I should be registered by the IIHF. I'm really eager to make the team with my countrymen, and we'll aim to bring gold back to our homes."

Rumours of a nationality change?: "I found out I was German recently through my father's side of the family, and when Cassius [Darrow] found out he wanted me to come play with him for the World Juniors. I was flattered by the offer, but I had to decline. I could represent Canada as well through my mother, but I was born in Shrewsbury, I was born in England, so I'll rep the British Isles team."

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Former Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger -  Aurora  Stars

Great article bro

[Image: YQkXo45.png]

Great write up, good luck!

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Great read! #Nuts

[Image: knute.jpg]

Great media!

[Image: hw6Eojc.png]

[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]