Create Account

S47 Draft Picks & Their SMJHL Teams
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM by Nerio.)

1505 words, double draft media

Pretty much exactly what I did after last draft, here is a breakdown of how each SMJHL team was represented in the recent SHL Entry Draft, along with some thoughts about how the draft picks might suggest how these teams will perform during the next SMJHL season (I generally assume that all of the prospects that were drafted are staying down for at least one more season). One addition this time around is comparing each team’s draft representation for S47 with S46, and seeing if there are any additional insights there.

Here is a high level TL;DR for anyone who doesn’t want to look at it team by team.

Total Players Drafted
Whalers 8
Scarecrows 7
Outlaws 6
Falcons 6
Lions 6
Raptors 5
raiders 5
Armada 3
Knights 3
Militia 1

Round 1 Picks
Whalers 4
Scarecrows 3
Outlaws 2
Armada 2
Raptors 2
Falcons 1
Knights 1
Lions 1
raiders 0
Militia 0

And now, broken down by each team...

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws 3rd Place 25-19-6

3 syndicate Corey Kennedy
16 Wolfpack Slap McShotty
18 Stampede Lallo Selman
19 syndicate Martijn Westbroek
31 Panthers Seemu Telanne
34 syndicate Gunnar Petrov

Anaheim had six players drafted this time around, with solid representation in the front half of the draft. Last season showed a marked improvement for the outlaws, and last seasons draft suggested they had solid players that might result in them improving during the franchise’s sophomore season, which definitely occurred with their 3rd place finish. This time around is no different, and assuming these S47 players stay down, you can expect Anaheim to nicely fill the gaps left behind by any of their S46 players being called up. Chicago also may be looking to pick up on some chemistry by sniping two Anaheim teammates within the first two rounds.

Armada Anchorage Armada 4th Place 26-21-3

6 Platoon Tony Ford
9 Wolfpack Eko van Otter
39 pride Spencer MacLean

Anchorage only had three of their players drafted, tied for the 2nd least out of the junior teams. This is also similar to the S46 draft and might be another case of quality over quantity here, with two out of their three players being picked in the top ten. With having at least two seasons in a row with low draft representation, Anchorage may still be relatively vet heavy, and will have to figure out what to do if that core ends up being called up to their SHL teams.

Raptors Colorado Raptors 10th Place 18-26-6

7 Blizzard Julio Tokolosh
14 Barracuda Akashi SixNine
29 Jets Juulius Smonk
43 Steelhawks Jake Peralta
60 Stars Ja'Aj Coitus-Wagg

Colorado had a fairly average showing in the draft, finishing middle of the pack in both total number of players drafted and players drafted in the first round. Last season was a bit of a disappointment in Colorado, but staying consistent with growing their young talent may end up paying dividends for them soon.

Falcons Detroit Falcons 9th Place 22-24-4

5 Barracuda Espen Knutsen Jr.
24 Barracuda Miikka Salo
25 Wolfpack Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz
32 Stampede Josh Driver
33 Blizzard Savoli Tankovic
40 Stampede Wibbly McButternutz

Detroit is in a similar situation when compared to Colorado. They had one more player drafted with 6, and one less player drafted early on with only one first round pick. They also had a pretty disappointing season recently, after finishing 1st in the prior season and falling just short in the Four Star Cup. Detroit’s representation in the S46 was fairly low in comparison to other teams, so it’s good to see they have acquired some young talent, at least enough to rise up on this list. Perhaps these players will help fill the gaps in Detroit next season, and get them back up in the standings.

raiders Halifax Raiders 7th Place 23-21-6

20 pride Jaguar Johnson
21 Wolfpack Joseph Laraque
41 Dragons Esa Parmborg
51 syndicate Ender Zavala
53 Renegades Josef Kubinec

Halifax had five players represented in this season draft, and while they did not have any first rounders, it is slightly misleading due to Esa Parmborg being a SHL GM. One would imagine Esa and those delicious chicken parms would have gone early in the draft had it been an option. Halifax continues to have weird seasons with giant winning and losing streaks (I haven’t done one for this season yet, but check out how they trended in the previous season). It’ll be interesting to see if this draft class will be able to fill the gaps left behind by their call ups.  

Knights Kelowna Knights 1st Place 32-13-5

2 Barracuda Gunnar Soderberg
36 pride Vadim Malichov
38 Renegades Alexander Andersson-Grande

Kelowna didn’t have a lot of representation this draft with only three players. Gunnar Soderberg was definitely a huge pick for Tampa, and I’m going to give Alexander Andersson-Grande my sleeper pick. Goalies are often under appreciated when it comes to draft time, but I don’t think you’ll find a goalie who had a better season, with a 10-1-1 record last season, a .905 save percentage, and a 1.81 GAA. Texas has done good things for my fantasy when I get their goalies, so I can see myself going for that in the future too. After such an amazing regular season and being just short of the Four Star Cup win, Kelowna has their work cut out for them to keep that up.

Lions Lethbridge Lions 5th Place 26-21-3

13 Barracuda Austin Roenick
26 Panthers Thomas Bathory
28 Stars Harry Carpet
30 Blizzard Boruvka Banananak
37 Panthers Jay Boom'Boom
42 syndicate Jules L'Eclair

Lethbridge had decent representation this draft with six players and a single first rounder. They had the top picked goalie too with Harry Carpet getting picked up 28th overall. Carpet had a pretty solid season too, so definitely makes sense that he was snagged early, by goalie standards. Thomas Bathory was also picked up possibly out of order due to being a co-GM. Overall it continues to look promising for the Lions, especially after the huge jump in the standings they made last season.

Militia Montreal Militia 6th Place 24-21-5

23 Blizzard Marc Hagan

Not a ton to say about Montreal, just one pick halfway through the second round. Hagan is one of the top TPE earners in this class, and has a pretty fat wallet so definitely a good pick up by the Blizzard. They finished middle of the road last season, but with only one player in this draft class that SHL GMs saw worthy of a draft pick, Montreal may be lacking young talent that can step up into top roles if they lose too many of their vets next season.

Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows 2nd Place 31-18-1

4 pride Filip Zadina
10 Specters Charlie Serpe
12 Jets Noah Gallagher
22 Stampede Nicolaj Muller
44 Stars Mattie Brunton
49 Wolfpack Boris Poroshenko
67 syndicate Isaac Yamada

St. Louis had the 2nd best representation this draft with seven players total and nearly half of them all in the first round with three. St. Louis continues to have excellent draft representation, even after winning the Four Star Cup year over year. Something must be in the water there because they’re churning out young talent season over season while maintaining excellent form in the regular season and more importantly, the playoffs. As someone who has been knocked out of the playoffs in both of my seasons, once early and once as late as actually possible, this is the team I think will be the scariest next season, and their draft representation matches up with that.

Whalers Vancouver Whalers 8th Place 23-21-6

1 Jets Jax Duggan
8 Barracuda Cullen Gray
11 Steelhawks Sami Raanta
15 Panthers Theo Morgan
17 Steelhawks Aaron Wilson
27 Steelhawks Dale Miller
35 syndicate Joe Ackroyd
45 Chiefs Igor Volkov

Vancouver is the team I’d consider “won” the draft, at least from the junior side of things. They had eight players drafted, with four of them coming in the first round, and the number one overall pick to boot. The most out of every team in all categories. Hamilton might be looking for some chemistry here too, with three of their picks coming from Vancouver. Vancouver’s most recent season saw them fall in the standings, but with this abundance of young talent being developed, I expect that may change next season, especially if they don’t lose too many vets.

__

It’s a tall task to follow the S46 record breaking draft class, but after looking through all these players and seeing how they’ve developed, S47 definitely stood tall to that task. Several of them are already flirting with that 350 TPE cap, and there’s no doubt there will be many more in the coming weeks. I’m looking forward to the next draft too, to continue to observe the ebbs and flows of SMJHL draft representation.

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

5 players picked in top 20
Ilike

Good read

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

The reason Anchorage, imo, won the SMJHL draft last year, is that BOTH of their players drafted in the 1st 3 rounds went inside the top 10. Vancouver's 3rd round pick in the SMJHL draft dropped to 35th. They had quantity over quality, and although they had some good late round picks, most of their top picks were picked up in FA. E V O was the only player picked in the third round or below in the SMJHL draft to go in the top 10, and one of 3 to go in the first round. He was the steal of the SMJHL draft.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Lions

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

How bout them whalers

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019, 02:03 PM by hotdog.)

04-14-2019, 07:58 PMFordyford Wrote:  E V O was the only player picked in the third round or below in the SMJHL draft to go in the top 10, and one of 3 to go in the first round. He was the steal of the SMJHL draft.

when your teammate,,,, is also,,,, your homie  Heart Blush Heart

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway