Create Account

How Hamilton's Off-Season has went so far

2x Draft Media

Last season the Hamilton Steelhawks surprised many people when they recorded a 27-18-5 record in S48, which had them finish 2nd in the East. All this came about after many of their stars announced they would be retiring at the end of the season. After having 7 players score over 30 points in the season, Hamilton went into the playoffs confident that this would be the last season in their playoff window, so they needed to perform well. They got matched up with the reigning Champion Cup winners in the West Kendall Platoon, so it would be no easy task. After losing the first three games, Hamilton finally won one game, but only to be eliminated by West Kendall the very next game. A disappointing end to a surprising season. What deepened the sting even more is the losing of many of their stars. It was officially rebuild time in Hamilton.

Call-Ups & Re-Signings
Flash-forward to current day, and there have been many moves by the Hamilton brass that looks into making this rebuild a relatively quick one. The first actions of the GM were to extend the player's that needed it. These players included Sulak O'Hritea, Dale Miller, Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova, Zivan Zidek, Angelo Odjick, Yuri Boyka Jr., Aaron Wilson, and Finn Kruger. All deals were 1 year deals except for that of Aaron Wilson. Aaron secured a three year deal worth $9 mil for a $3 mil AAV. After the extensions came the long-awaited call ups. Aaron Wilson and Dale Miller of the reigning 4 Star Cup Champion Vancouver Whalers were called up, along with Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova from the Montreal Militia. Wilson, an elite playmaker, put up a stat-line of 15 goals and 28 assists for a total of 43 points in 50 games, while also being a +21 on the season. He also put up 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points in 19 playoff games. Miller, a pure goal scorer put up 18 goals and 16 assists for 34 points in 50 games, and a +18. In 19 playoff games, Miller put up 10 goals and 12 assists. Good for 22 points, second only to Aaron Wilson (story of my life :p). O'Koivu-Volkova, a solid hybrid goalie, registered himself a .897 save percentage and a goals against average of 2.47, both stats have him at 3rd in the league behind Tibuk Soonika and Kasperi Braulin.

Send-Downs
The Steelhawks sent down 5 players to the SMJHL this season for them to fine tune their game before making the big transition to the SHL. Hamilton sent 1 player drafted in S47 down to Detorit in Savoli Tankovic. Tankovic, recently acquire via trade, had a great season for Detroit last season; posting 17 goals and 25 assists for 42 points. The only S48 draft pick selected for the Steelhawks, Gabriel Johnson of the Anchorage Armada, had a... season(?) I guess? He had solid offensive production with 26 points, although 11 of those points came on the powerplay. I recently sat in an interview where the Hamilton GM was asked his thoughts on the performance of his recent 2nd Overall player. He was quoted saying "Absolutely f*****g disappointed." After that answer, he instantly walked out of the interview room, punching the door on his way out. Newly drafted prospects Jagger Fouquette and Skao Anazibf of the Detroit Falcons were also sent down as neither are quite ready for SHL competition yet. Jagger Fouquette posted a solid 16 goal and 16 assist split in S48 for a total of 32 points, for those of you that can't do basic math. Fouquette wasn't far behind a prospect I haven't mentioned yet in Hugh Jazz, for top SMJHL rookie. Anazibf also had a very solid season as a rookie; putting up 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points. Moving onto Hugh Jazz, who was recently acquired by the Lethbridge Lions from the Montreal Militia, is the most likely pick for Rookie of the Year in the SMJHL after putting up 18 goals and 20 assists for 38 points. 

Although Hamilton's roster doesn't seem to bright at the current moment, the future is absolutely bright with these 5 top prospects who should all be ready for Hamilton action within the next season or two. 

The Offer Sheet heard 'Round the Site
The first ever offer sheet offered and accepted in the league. Right as the window opened to talk to free agents, 2 of Jax's teammates from Vancouver, as well as a few members of Hamilton management all contacted the former 1st Overall RFA defenseman in hopes of convincing him to join them. It was an extremely tough decision to make, but Jax made his choice. He would join Hamilton on a 3 year contact. Making $15 million in the first season, and $2 million in the 2 season following, Jax looks to be a staple for the Steelhawks in these upcoming seasons as he develops into the 1st Overall player everyone expects him to become. Last season Duggan put up 4 goals and 22 assists for 26 points, while also posting a +19. In the playoffs, Jax put up 4 goals and 11 assists for 15 points in the playoffs, while also playing some games as a 2nd line right wing. 

Conclusion
The Hamilton Steelhawks have a bright future ahead of them, even if this upcoming season looks a little murky. With 4 prospects making the jump to the big league team, and 5 prospects that won't be far behind, it's easy to be excited for the future of Steelhawks hockey. The GM has shown he's willing to go balls to the wall for this team. The players are ready to play their ass off. Let's get this season rolling. 

Quote:Ready to be graded. 985 words

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

Fuck yea, good read mills, I'm excited to trounce the eastern teams

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Quote:Gabriel Johnson of the Anchorage Armada, had a... season(?) I guess? He had solid offensive production with 26 points, although 11 of those points came on the powerplay

you forgot to mention -23  Starwars

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

oof

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

08-03-2019, 10:19 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Fuck yea, good read mills, I'm excited to trounce the eastern teams
Omegalul

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

08-03-2019, 10:28 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
08-03-2019, 10:19 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Fuck yea, good read mills, I'm excited to trounce the eastern teams
Omegalul

I SAID TROUNCE FINN, TROUNCE I SAY

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]