Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 How is Yukon Looking
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 07:32 PM by CptSquall. Edited 3 times in total.)

The malamutes went into the draft with a rebuilding mindset, but I’d be lying if I said we weren’t a little hopeful going into the season. During the preseason we went 3-4, putting us 9th in the league and completely tied up in our division with 6 points each, this was looking to be a competitive division. 

We’re now almost through week 1 of the regular season, 16 games in Yukon went 6-10. This record has us sitting at 10th in the league, but still 2nd in our division. We’re 4 points ahead of 3rd and 7 points behind 1st. We’re about to hit the quarter mark of the season with our next game, so let’s look at some ways this team can create a race for 1st and more importantly avoid 3rd place. 

I’ll start by looking at myself, I would say my first 16 games have been subpar. I have 1 goal and 3 assists, 29 hits and I’m 1-1 in fights as well as a 66 overall game rating. I’m looking to take some steps forward in my training in my shooting and offensive read. 

The biggest thing to work on for this team is the penalty kill, we’re sitting second last in the league at 69% (nice). It’s hard to say exactly what should be done to solve this issue, it could be a result of a younger team that needs to grow together, or that the lines need to be switched around. The clear thing is that something should be done if we would like to close the gap to 1st place, this team is young and hungry. 

There are some bright spots on the high-end side of the team, Don Aven and Ray Alexander are both sitting at 7 goals in 16 games. With a small step either of these shooters could make it into the top echelon of SMJHL goal scorers. The Malamutes are 7th in the league for goals for per game, so this step would help the team get into the top end of the league for goals. Don leads the Malamutes with 11 assists and 18 points, with the young core around him growing every week, it’s not unrealistic to see Don jumping up in the leaderboards by the end of the season. 

In the physicality department Ray Alexander leads the team with 40 hits, I sit 5th on the team with 29 so i’m looking at training my physicality to jump up in the team. Ray is a small step from becoming one of the top scorers and checkers in the league. Currently we are 7th in the league in hits for per game, so this jump would really make us a force to reckon with. This malamutes team has the goals in sight.  Will we do what we need to in order to reach those goals?

When it comes to defence, Yukon is 4th in the league for goals against per game. Putting them right near the top, part of this is the “dog” in the players, as they will not give up.  Our team leader is Edvin Kalberg with 38 shots blocked, 7 off of the leaderboard. In other words if Kalberg can make a defensive step forward, which they’ve shown they can, and the rest of the team can follow suit, this may end up as one of the best defensive teams in the league.

679 words

[Image: latrielle.png]
Sig. Graphic made by Ragnar

@"Josh Latreille" your Deep Dive falls a little short on the word count. Please add an extra paragraph or so and tag me when done, so i can give you the TPE.

@Opera_Phantom Hey there! Thank you so much for taking a look, my deep dive is actually 549 words, Im not sure if I read the rules wrong or if the site glitched my word count but I will add an extra paragraph to be sure!

[Image: latrielle.png]
Sig. Graphic made by Ragnar
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 07:34 PM by CptSquall.)

Approved, +5 TPE to @Josh Latreille as your word count now crosses 500.

@Opera_Phantom for vision that I have reviewed it.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]