Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 Analysis of 1st Gen picks in the 1st 2 Rds of the S66 SMJHL Dra
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 05:13 PM by Opera_Phantom. Edited 1 time in total.)

As a new user of this site, and first time sim sport participant, I thought it would be neat to dig in and analyze how some of my fellow first gens drafted in the most recent SMJHL draft are doing and whether or not they are living up to their potential. This list only covers those players selected in the first two rounds due to time, but there are certainly many more first gens who are making waves in the league.  With that disclaimer out of the way, let’s begin:

R1 P4 (4)  Kelowna select LW Jacques Hammer   Knights
Jacques has been one of the bright spots of a Kelowna Team that is having a pretty poor year. They are third on the team in points with 25, and seventh in the league in shot percentage converting 23.4% of his shots. They are also the second leading hitter on the team with 107 hits. Hammer is truly the force that Kelowna thought he would be, and should be one of the top players in the SMJHL in a few years.

R1 P5 (5) Great Falls select LW Bobby McGinnis  Grizzlies
McGinnis is in a very similar situation as the LW picked just before him. Both McGinnis and Hammer are on bad teams, but are finding success. McGinnis has 39 points for the Grizzlies and has also chipped in with a team leading 93 hits. I expect a rivalry between McGinnis and Hammer to emerge in the coming years, and many pundits will debate which of the two should have gone first. Regardless, the other 12 teams in the league would be lucky to have either of them as they both look to be staples of the SMJHL

R2 P2 (16) Anchorage select LD Sean Davies  Armada
The next first gen off the board, Sean Davies, went 11 picks after McGinnis to the Anchorage Armada. A defensive defenseman in the truest sense, Davies is third on the team with 80 blocked shots, and 4th on the team with 36 takeaways. The Armada likely expect him to join first over all pick D. Jobin and form one of the leagues elite defensive duos. It remains to be seen if Davies will make it there, but so far early signs show he has the chance to be a premier defender in the league.

R2 P3 (17) Kelowna select LD Jon Bell  Knights
Joining fellow first gen Jacques Hammer in Kelowna is LD Jon Bell. A solid all around player, Bell has picked up 66 blocked shots good for third on the Knights. Bell also has 12 points and 26 takeaways. While neither of these are top marks on the team, they are both very solid and highlight his two-way game. It also bears repeating that Kelowna are bottom of the table this year, so most players on the Knights are not putting up stellar numbers. As time goes on, Bell could develop into a solid defenseman for the Knights, and help lead them to relevance with the help of fellow first gen Jacques Hammer.

R2 P7 (21) Detroit select C Bohdan Jarovsky Falcons
First gen center Bohdan Jarovsky finds themself playing left wing for the low to middle of the pack Detroit Falcons, but he has been very successful there. His 19 goals lead the team, and when tacking on assists he is tied for second in points with 36. He’s also third on the team with 132 hits. Jarovsky is truly a multi-dimensional player, and he should find much success with Detroit going forward.

R2 P8 (22) Maine select RW Daniel Swift Timber
The last player I am taking a look at today is RW Daniel Swift who was selected by the Maine Timber. The Timber are a solid middle of the road team this season, and Swift is fitting in nicely with their team. He has 46 points good for 4th on the team. 30 of those points are assists, showing that Swift is definitely a competent distributer of the puck. He has also chipped in as a physical presence with 80 hits this season. If Swift continues to round out his game as a defender and further improves his offensive prowess, he could keep SMJHL defenses shaking in their boots for the next few years.

All in all, the players I have looked at today all seem worthy of their selections. First gen players are always a bit more risky than proven commodities like regens, but the individuals above have paid off so far. They are all putting up solid numbers for their team, and I look forward to seeing how they fare next season after a full year of growth in the league

Good idea and an even better write up! Thanks for taking time to shine a light on the first-gens!! Cheers

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

Great draft this year guys!

Don't do too well I will have some problems with you Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

@"Runningman434" APPROVED! +5 TPE