Create Account

Pre-Draft Interview with Kjell Eide

Although this was a frustrating season for the Prince George Firebirds, there were some notable bright spots on the roster. One was the quiet Eide, who obviously believes in leading by example: with solid stats for a rookie center, he was an important piece in the Firebirds’ limited post-season success. With the SHL draft on the horizon, we caught up with Eide to talk about his season, and where he sees himself going next.

1. How was your first season in the SMJHL overall?
Aside from the losses, it was good. I like my team, I like the locker room. We all push each other to be better. When things were tough, Mac was always there to be supportive. It was just a great experience, even with the losses.

2. Explain to me your thoughts when you joined the league, and needed to sign with a team?
I was not expecting the amount of interest I got! But I was grateful for it. It made the decision tough, but I knew going in I wanted a place where I could make my mark and be a leader on and off the ice. That was important to me.

3. Why did you pick Prince George?
The only way to improve is to put yourself in difficult situations. The Firebirds offered me top minutes immediately. I knew it would be tough, as a rookie, and as a Free Agent, but I think I did the best I could. Certainly by the end of the season, my statistics were better.

4. Do you regret the decision, after finishing dead last in the league?
No, not at all. As I’ve said, I knew what I was getting into. Regardless of the standings, I enjoyed my season immensely. Moving forward I know things will improve.

5. What are some of the positives about your team?
The people, and our future. Next season we will have some new blood, and we will be the veteran presence. It is only going to get better.

6. Any negatives?
Our lack of depth, obviously. It was a big reason for our struggles. Hopefully next season will have a much better win record. None of us like to lose, after all.

7. Talk to me about your captain, Bennett Jones.
Joner is a very good friend of mine. He had an incredible leap in production about midway through the season, and was a great example for everyone on the team. To see him finish second in scoring was very important to me. He was also a great support off the ice, and always managed to find good things in our game, even when we lost. I’m happy to play with him on my wing.

8. How about assistant Michael McFadden?
McFadden really stepped up for us at the end of the year. We all saw how frustrated he was early on, getting pulled so much. It wasn’t easy. On the front lines, you try your best to play defensively, to help our your team, but we didn’t have enough on the back end to support him. He improved a lot, though, and it showed. I’m happy to have him as part of the leadership group.

9. Kylo Ren retired surprisingly, can you talk to me about why he did that, and the impact it had on the Firebirds?
It was frustrating. I understand his reasons, but it upset a lot of long term plans. Hopefully he succeeds moving forward, though.

10. Who are some of the other young players Prince George has in it's system right now?
Monkey and Saint Jericho have great potential on our blueline. Next season will be good for them.

11. Do you feel management in Prince George is doing a good job, despite the bad season?
Yes. As I said, this was a rebuild year, and Mac kept us excited despite the difficult season. We’ve all been looking towards the future since the start.

12. Who do you feel are the best candidates for 1st overall in the SHL draft this year?
Stevenson is obviously a big name, just because of the points he put up. Very good, both in general and as a defenseman. But I also think Joner should be talked about more. When he scored, we managed to win games. Much less of a liability than an offensive defenseman as well. And McFadden always has a chance, if you needed a goalie. But a goalie first pick is so rare.

13. On your team, who do you think deserves to go the highest, or will be in the highest demand?
McFadden will be in demand, because a good goalie is always in demand. And as I said, Joner should be an option for first pick. I think any team would be happy to have him.

14. Talk to me about your short, but impressive playoff run.
No one wants to go out that fast, but I’m still very proud. There was always the fear of being swept, and I think we proved that we have what it takes to win the Cup next season. No one could have guessed that we would push for a game seven. I had a little production, and held my own in the face-off circle. Just the experience will be useful moving forward.

15. If you could have won that final game, do you think you would have a legit shot at the Four Star Cup?
I do. I think we proved that by the end of the season, we were not just a losing team. We always put up points, too, even when losing. Once the defensive side of our game clicked, it is not a stretch to think we had a chance. Pushing the Mammoths to a full series, no one expected that. Not even in the locker room! Every game, seeing the results of our hard work pay off--it was a good feeling. It was hard to see it come to an end, but the better team won. Next year, the better team will be us.

16. Talk to me about yourself, and where you see yourself getting drafted, and what kind of player you see yourself becoming?
As a player, my value comes from my all around game. I like to score, I like to create offense. But I also know that as a centreman, I have a lot of responsibility to play a 200ft game. I want to be someone my team can rely on. I think I showed that this season, with my face-off wins, and with my backchecks. I know I have the potential to be an important part of any roster, and although I might not be the flashiest player in the draft, I hope teams can see the strengths I bring to my team. I also would like to stay for at least another year in the SMJHL. I want another shot at the Cup, and more time to develop my game. I know I am not ready for the big leagues yet, and I am okay with that. But I think I am a good pick-up in terms of the future. You can build your future around me.

17. What would you say are your biggest strengths right now?
My face-offs, I think, and my playmaking. I finished the season with 31 points, and 21 of those were assists. Considering our losing record, I think I put up good numbers for a centreman. I was in the top ten in rookie points. I don’t think anyone should underestimate me.

18. If you could change one thing about your first pro season, what would it be?
Obviously I would have liked to win more games. Who wouldn’t? But that wasn’t in the cards this year. That’s fine. I suppose then that I would have liked more veterans on the team. That would have helped us get more goals. Maybe a veteran goalie presence. McFadden was left out to dry a lot by our team, and he didn’t deserve that. If he had been a little more sheltered his rookie year, that would have been nice.

19. What do you look forward to the most from the SHL?
I am excited to meet new people, and learn from them. There is still a lot I don’t know about the league, and I love learning new things. I also am looking forward to testing myself against them. It would be nice to have at least a small impact when I am finally called up. I don’t expect to be a superstar right away, of course not. But I want to prove that I belong here.

20. Finally, what are the biggest reasons why an SHL team should draft you?
Aside from the things I can bring on the ice, I have plenty I can contribute off ice as well. I understand hockey from a statistical perspective, and am hoping to improve statistical analysis for my teams. I think there is a lot of untapped potential in analyzing games via stats, and it is another way to figure out the areas players need to improve in order to create a well rounded team.

21. Are there any players from other teams who you consider rivals?
Ha, not particularly. I don’t like comparing myself to other players. That is for the GMs to do. If my team isn’t effective, then it doesn’t matter how good I am. You know? Obviously it’s important to compete, but I don’t particularly look at any one player and say, you are my rival, I have to beat you. That’s not how I think.

22. Anything specific you're looking forward to on draft day?
Just meeting new people, talking to different people. There are so many people in the league I haven’t met, and obviously big events are a great way to establish contact. I think the draft will be fun. I missed the SMJHL draft, so this will be my first here. I’m looking for to it.

23. Who are you looking forward to hanging out with at the draft?
It will be good to see Mia Landvik. She’s Norwegian too, you know, and I don’t get to talk to anyone in Norwegian here. It will be good to catch up. One day we’ll play internationally together too, I’m sure.

24. What are your plans for the off-season?
I am going home for a bit, before the draft. Now that our playoffs are done, I want to visit home, visit my family. But I will probably come back early to prepare for the draft, and the upcoming season. Part of being in the SHL is proving my commitment to my team, and my team right now is Prince George. I don’t want them to feel like my being drafted changes my position as a leader in that locker room.

25. With the draft approaching so quickly, there has been a lot of talk about who might be drafted where in the order. Have you been following along with coverage like that or are you trying to steer clear of it?
I try not to read too much. Everyone will have their own opinion, and at this point there is nothing else I can do. I showed how I play this season, my work ethic, what I can bring to a team. If someone has a bad opinion about me, there is nothing more I can do at this point. And if they have a good opinion of me, um, thank you, but the only thing that matters is the draft, and then helping Prince George go farther in the playoffs next season.

26. The choice to come over and play your junior league years in North America was a big one - do you feel like you made the right call?
As much as I miss home sometimes, I do think it was the right choice. The level of compete here is so much higher--with players from all over the world, the best players from all over the world, you learn so much more. You get so much better. I don’t think there was any other choice, if I wanted to improve my skill.

[words: 2037]

:-x

Are there any players from other teams who you consider rivals?

Anything specific you're looking forward to on draft day?

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Who are you looking forward to hanging out with at the draft?

What are your plans for the off-season?

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

updated o:-)

With the draft approaching so quickly, there has been a lot of talk about who might be drafted where in the order. Have you been following along with coverage like that or are you trying to steer clear of it?

The choice to come over and play your junior league years in North America was a big one - do you feel like you made the right call?

done and ready for grading yall