Create Account

So long, SMJHL Career Recap and Presser

[ Grade it! ]

It’s been four seasons since Jonathan Lundberg started his career in the SMJHL. He began as an undrafted free agent with low expectations. The Kelowna Knights took a chance on the power forward even though the available information on him was very limited. He joined a Kelowna draft class that featured talented players such as Ivan Koroviev, Kristjan Vilhjalmsson, Nikolaus Scholz, Maria Maximova, and Tony Flow. In the S25 SHL draft, he was selected 18th overall by the Calgary Dragons. During that season his Kelowna teammates elected him to one of the alternate captain positions. In the following season he was named team captain. Then, in his final season, the team would be taken over by a new GM, and this change afforded him the opportunity to serve as the co-GM while still taking the ice as a player. Now let’s take a short look back at each season of his career in the juniors, then Jonathan Lundberg will give a statement and take questions.

Season 24:
Regular Season: 52gp, 1g, 5a, 6pts, -1
Playoffs: 5gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts, -5

S24 was Lundberg’s rookie season. He signed with Kelowna halfway through preseason. He didn't see the ice for the first time until the regular season. Kelowna’s depth kept him down on the fourth line to begin with, but he ended up played on the third line for the majority of the season. He would finish the season among the lowest minutes played on the team, and contributed the fewest points of any forward on the team. Even though he performed poorly during the season, his hard work didn’t go unnoticed. He was selected 18th overall in the SHL draft, a respectable draft position for a player who was undrafted in the SMJHL.

Season 25:
Regular Season:50gp, 13g, 17a, 30pts, +14
Playoffs: 17gp, 7g, 9a, 16pts, +3

Jonathan turned a corner in his second season. He switched his focus away from a grinding style, and became more skilled offensively. His teammates recognized his hard work and dedication to the team by naming him one of the alternate captains. He played most of the season on the second line, with some rotations up to the first line. While his performance was a major improvement, he was still just a middle tier player in the league. The Knights went on to win the Four Star Cup this season, largely due an extremely talented top line and depth added by trades made just before the trade deadline.

Season 26:
Regular Season:50gp, 13g, 32a, 45pts, +14
Playoffs: 16gp, 2g, 13a, 15pts, +1

Kelowna had many of their players called up to the SHL during the offseason. The team looked very different than it did when it won the Four Star Cup in the previous season. Lundberg was named team captain. He led the team on the top line, with fellow veteran Tony Flow, and the 2nd overall pick in the S26 SHL draft, Mainio Makinen. The team didn’t have the depth the S25 team did, but the top line was arguably the best line in the league, and goalie Bjornsson had an excellent season. Lundberg ended the season among the top scorers in the league, finishing 10th in points, 5th among centers. The team made it to the finals, but were overpowered by a very talented Halifax team.

Season 27:
Regular Season: 50gp, 18g, 37a, 55pts, +21
Playoffs: 13gp, 4g, 11a, 15pts, +7

Spending three seasons in the juniors isn’t that uncommon, but four is rare. Lundberg spent preseason in Calgary, trying to find a place to fit in among their lines. Ultimately, he was given a choice, and chose to go back down to Kelowna for one last season. This time, he returned as the co-GM. His final season ended up being his best individual season, but the Knights struggled to score consistently. He would end the season 4th in points, 2nd among centers. Even though they finished second in the West, Kelowna traded two of their better players for draft picks just before the trade deadline. They ended up beating Vancouver in the first round, but were eliminated in the second round by a much deeper Colorado team.

-------------------------------

“I want to begin by thanking everybody for being here today. I don’t want to take up too much of your time, so I’ll try to keep this short.

I’d like to thank the city of Kelowna, and all the wonderful fans that pack Prospera Place for every home game. Kelowna has been my home for four seasons, and I couldn’t have asked for a better place to spend that time. I had a lot of good times here as a Knight. Of course, we all remember S25. I would have liked to end my time here on a high note like that, but it just wasn't in the cards this season. I’m very proud of what we accomplished as a team during my time here. I also want to thank the Knights organization for taking a chance on me. Words can’t express how happy I am that I ended up in Kelowna. Even though my time here as a player is over, I will always be a Knight.

Next, I’d like to thank Calgary. I'm very grateful that they were willing to move up in the draft to select me. The Dragons have been paramount in my development as a player and as a person. I am certain that I wouldn’t be the player I am today without their help and guidance. Esa has been a class act from the moment I first spoke with him. He has gone out of his way to try to accommodate me, and to help me reach my full potential. I am particularly grateful that he let me return for one final season here in Kelowna. The Dragons are a top class organization, and I have a great deal of respect for them.

That said, I won’t be going back to join them just yet. I will remain here, in Kelowna, while exploring free agency this offseason. I would like to see what other opportunities are available to me in the SHL. I'll open this up to questions now.”

Quote:Originally posted by Ohtaay+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ohtaay)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What are you looking for in free agency?[/b]
"The think I'm most looking for in a team would be a group of players I enjoy spending my time with. I'd like to join some of my old Knights teammates, but they're all quite spread out now, so that's tough. I'd also like to go to a successful team, but that is not as important to me."

Quote:[i]Originally posted by Ohtaay+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ohtaay)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Any teams the peak early interest?[/b]
"There are a few teams I think I would like to play for. Edmonton, New England, and West Kendall would be places that come to mind right away. JRT and Koroviev are in Edmonton, Makinen is in New England, Maximova, Tony Flow, and Ales are in West Kendall, so I think these teams are appealing. I haven't given it a great deal of thought yet, because I don't want to get my hopes up for a team that isn't interested in me. We'll see what happens when free agency begins."

<!--QuoteBegin-Ohtaay@
Favorite season as a Knight?[/quote]
"Season 25 was great, but I think I enjoyed 24 more. We weren't as good, but the locker room atmosphere was unbelievable. We had a great rookie class with Koro, Scholz, Maxi, Flow, and Vil.. We all really bonded over the course of the season. I wish Scholz had been able to stick around for S25, but that's how it goes."

<!--QuoteBegin-Eggy216[/i]
Have you yet found love most true?[/quote]
[Image: 2rqztiq.png]

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

I'm going to miss updating you. Good luck with Calgary bud.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Nice writeup Rich, you are the definition of a Kelowna Knight.

What are you looking for in free agency?
Any teams the peak early interest?
Favorite season as a Knight?

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

this is cute

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM
Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Sad Ketchup -Present
S76 Ryan Jesster Trophy Winner

Feels like a weird end of an era. With Flow coming up I don't have anyone in Kelowna anymore. Undecided

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

finally joining the big boys eh

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Answered Ohtaay's questions.

Adam Prpich Portal Link

Cheers

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Glad to see you found success!

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Have you yet found love most true?

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

I'll leave this open for another day or two.

Adam Prpich Portal Link

bye

Glad I got to play with you this season! :-x

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page