Create Account

Wes Wells Press Conference

1209 Words
FIRST ARTICLE BONUS!!!

Here is your chance to talk to Wesley Wells, the newest member of the Winnipeg Jets and current winger on the Montreal Militia!

Question 1: How many more years do you see yourself spending in the juniors?

Hmm... Well, I would probably say two or three more, including this current season. I think that leaves adequate time for my game to develop to the SHL ready level. I expect to hit the TPE cap sometime next season, so I want to be slightly over it by the time I get called up. However, if the Winnipeg Jets needed me to go up at any time before that, I would certainly be ready to answer the bell, and bring my scoring ability to the SHL. But for now, like I said, I feel I am much more useful providing goals for the Militia and working toward the goal of ultimately being a star for the Jets!

Question 2: Which franchise do you fear the most in the SMJHL and why?

I have always had nerves of steel and I cannot really say I fear another franchise right now. I respect all the franchises, obviously, but playing against a certain one never really gets to me. I know that every time the Montreal Militia hit the ices, we bring out star power. We have top forwards such as Raven Silverwing, Shane Gagner and Dane Rowe. Add in the prospects such as myself, Johnny Watson and the bruiser Xavier Laine and that makes for a balanced attack. Plus, we have maybe the best goalie the league has seen in Matt Lewis-Flood.

But for the sake of the question, the team that gets me most amped to play against is Colorado. They, well, you know what happened last season... So every time we play them, you better believe we are looking to avenge our loss!

Question 3: How do you feel you will perform this season?

Well, I expect to score some goals. My game is pretty much modeled after New York Rangers forward Chris Kreider, so I expect a stat line similar to those he always seems to put up. Passing really isn't my strong suit, not because I don't want to, but because I haven't reached a level of finesse yet. It will get there, but for now, my shot is my first priority. We have so many capable playmakers on the Militia, so if I focus on putting the puck in net, it takes a bit of pressure off those who are solid on other parts of the ice from having to score. All in all, I expect the team to achieve great things, and I hope to see all of you in the Four Star Cup again this season, thanks to all our efforts on the ice!

Question 4: What do you think of the Montreal rebrand?

I had just been finishing up skating drills that day, and I was wearing a Montreal Impact practice shirt. Then we all heard the announcement on TSN, that our team would be changing its name, logo and colors. Gone was the blue and silver, in was the dark red and beige. At first, I didn't know what to think. This team was so new to me anyway, so I didn't really think of all the history behind the Impact name. So it didn't take me that long to like the Militia name, especially when our wonderful team of designers worked so hard on the logo and uniforms. We were the Montreal Impact and we always were driven to be the best. Expect NOTHING to change now that we are the Militia. We may look different from the outside, but we are the same hard working franchise who's only goal is to win hockey games!

Question 5: Where is your mind at in regards to developing in the minors? Do you prefer it? Or would you rather see SHL time immediately?

To echo my answer to Johnny Cahill's question, I see myself in the Junior League for two or three more seasons, including this one. My mind is right where it should be. Focused on getting better. I have some training time that I didn't spend yet, so expect me to be at the gym double time this week. Now that the season is afoot, I need to make sure I am at the top of my game and that I am training to be the best player I can be!
For the second part, I do prefer staying in the SMJHL right now. The Jets are in a rebuilding phase at the moment, so I would rather be seasoned and ready when I eventually get called up, hopefully when the rebuild plan is coming to fruition.
I look forward to seeing quality SHL time eventually, but for now I am focused on two things; improving my personal game, and helping the Montreal Militia to the cup!

Question 6: What are some of your goals this season on the Montreal Militia?

The Montreal Militia is a great team for me to play for. They are a team that is committed to winning and that suits me perfectly. I'll start off with team goals. I would like it if we shattered our own points record for the third straight year, but the odds of that are pretty slim, seeing as how we didn't leave much room for regular season improvement last season. So then there's the other thing. The Four Star Cup. I am fully committed to bringing the Cup to Montreal, I feel we deserve it. We are such a hard working collective unit that I feel that would be an apt reward!

As for my personal goals, I want to score some. Goals. Literal goals. Like I had said earlier, that is the strongest asset that I bring to the table as a member of the Militia. Setting my own personal points record would also be some nice icing on the cake!

Question 7: Is there an area of your game you're looking to improve before the playoffs this year?

Sure there is! I've told myself, until my stats are maxed out, there is always room for improvement. My cousin Matt Lewis-Flood and I seem to work by the same mantra, he is just better at applying it than I am. But this season I woke up, and I have decided to make training the most important priority! Other things will come easier if I just work at them.
As far as any specific traits that I am looking to improve, certainly defense. I am an attack first forward, but I want to learn to hold my own at the other end. Chris Kreider can go hunt down opposing forwards and lay the hits on them, so that's what I want to do. If I can help my team on the defensive end of the ice as well as the offensive end, well that would be just awesome!

I also want my shot to be even more lethal! :D

Well, thanks to everyone who asked questions. Look forward to seeing you guys at the Militia games or at the Jets games, or maybe even both!

Cheers!

Hey Wes!

How many more years do you see yourself spending in the juniors?

Which franchise do you fear the most in the SMJHL and why?

[Image: cahill.png]

How do you feel you will perform this season?
What did you think of the Montreal rebrand?

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Where is your mind at in regards to developing in the minors? Do you prefer it? Or would you rather see SHL time immediately?

What are some of your goals this season on the Montreal Militia?

Is there an area of your game you're looking to improve before the playoffs this year?

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]

Working on updating this rn

Fully updated!

Looks good bro! Cheers

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]