Create Account

a letter-type thing to future SMJHL players from a short-lived SHL Co-GM/bad player

this isn't like a "tips and tricks to be the best player of all time" article. I mean it kind of is. But it won't be made that way. I signed up for this site on the 21st of July 2016, as part of the famed S31 class, that largest recruiting class of all time. Or at least the largest draft of all time, I'm not sure how big S20 was. I came into this draft with the thinking that I would be able to climb the ranks purely off activity and be the number one goalie drafted. I'm sure some of you who just created players came in with this exact thinking as well. I'd like to tell you right now, it's REALLY not important to get on people's radars before the junior draft.

The GMs don't have time to talk to everyone they want to talk to, everyone that looks like a decent prospect at the moment. Be ready to be shocked with how low you go despite how hard you've worked in the week, or even month you've been in the league. You will be passed over for people that are recreating players, because no matter how hard of a worker you've shown yourself to be, the recreating players are sure things, and you are not. You might get bored, you might burn out. So whether you get drafted 3rd or 95th, it's not about the impression you make in the 2 weeks before the SMJHL draft. The job of the SMJHL GMs is to introduce you to the league, no matter where you are drafted. For those that recreate, the SMJHL is considered just a stepping stone, a period to develop. For you, new player, the SMJHL is going to be one of the most important parts of your fledgling career. You must learn whatever you can about how you need to develop, what stats are best, not just for your individual performance but for the team. You also need to take the time to get to know as many people as possible.

The people you meet in these 2 or so months, in your first year of SMJHL, will define where you get drafted and with what people you spend your career. If you like a certain person on the site, TALK TO THEM. Don't be afraid, this site isn't high school, you don't have to have a big dick to talk to the popular kids. This site is based on recruitment, people you look up to will help you, they probably won't be assholes to you. If they are, well tough luck, now you know who you don't want to play with. But, and while this isn't exactly super relevant to you right now, do not build expectations. Just because you're good friends with a GM doesn't mean they are forced to draft you. For instance, I was drafted by a team with 2 GMs I had barely talked to before the draft because I didn't consider myself a legitimate prospect for them, and honestly, I couldn't be happier. Short moral of the short story, for now, don't worry about your draft position in either draft. Ronnie Westbrook went from last round pick, 92nd overall in the SMJHL draft, to 15th in the SHL draft. And it wasn't off his activity and hard work. It was off being a person that people liked and people wanted on their team. Alex Light was around the 40th pick in the SHL draft and is now a top prospect on a West Kendall team with a strong future. The team that picks you is way more important than the number you get picked at. Try your best to get yourself into a position where you can decide which team picks you rather than the other way around. Talk to GMs, make friends.

Don't care about your SMJHL stats. This league has a very low TPE disparity, which means that the stats are a lot more random than in the SHL. if you have 1 point this season 20 games in as a 350 TPE player, yes, you have a problem that you need to fix. But often, if you have a low amount of points, it's just a product of bad luck, and it goes the same way the other way around. If you are an SMJHL god, don't be a gloating cunt, no one, especially not the SHL GMs, cares. SHL GMs draft based on personality and activity, not on points scored.

And finally, don't rush yourself. If you spend too much time on this site at the beginning, you will almost 100% chance get bored of this site. There are exceptions, but you really need to moderate how much time you spend on the site, try not to spend too much more time than is necessary. Try to sign in every day but don't make it your addiction, because you will most likely just burn out and end up giving up. I know, because I am someone who made this site my addiction and got bored. I'm still here not because I have a passion for this site, but because I am friends with my teammates and I think I owe them more than just leaving, Finally, make sure to have a good time and try not to let people get you down, it's a simulation hockey league, who gives a shit.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll be here to answer them.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

as a former longer term shl co-gm who is way better than you in every way conceivable i agree

Tongue

seriously nice article tho <3

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: insayne.gif]

you absolutely need a big dick to talk to the popular kids tf you saying

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Apr 5 2017, 09:20 AM
you absolutely need a big dick to talk to the popular kids tf you saying
you just need to convince people you have a big dick

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Two thumbs up, buddy.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Cheers 100% all of this. Well said, bud. And good luck to this season's draftees, who should all read this.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Apr 6 2017, 12:52 AM

you just need to convince people you have a big dick
This is the internet, if you can't just google a picture of a big dick and send it over unprompted as proof I'm not really sure what you're doing here

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Waters I thought you were inactive.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by Mr. Deplorable@Apr 5 2017, 10:41 AM
Waters I thought you were inactive.
did u even read the OP?

dis clearly isn't waters, someone else has taken over.. real waters still inactive af

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Honestly, if you just don't act like a giant douche, you'll be fine here.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Quote:Originally posted by r1c3bowl22@Apr 6 2017, 01:21 AM
Honestly, if you just don't act like a giant douche, you'll be fine here.
In fact, many who do act like giant douches get by just fine regardless.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

It helps having a big dick

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Apr 5 2017, 09:57 AM

In fact, many who do act like giant douches get by just fine regardless.
Yeahthat

Ya, they actually get a pretty good following

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Good shit Waters

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]