Create Account

An Interesting Year?

Code:
Not ready for grading yet. I'll probably wait for a few more questions.

Welp. Today marks a year since I joined the site. Ask me questions, I guess, or post and I'll talk about you. I'm bored on a tour bus in Finland, might as well start this now.

[Yes, I know pressers get half-pay. Not really doing it for the money. Just figured I'd get some interesting questions.]

Cheers

<a href='index.php?showuser=2638' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>TheDangaZone</a>

If you could change something from the past year on here, what would it be?

I would have tried to talk to more people when I first got onto the site. I was very isolated because I didn't really know how to interact with people unless I was forced into direct involvement with them (a locker room, a Discord, a job, etc). I probably would have done different things with my build too, haha. I would have liked a different few years in juniors for my player, even if I did win a Cup.

What do you look forward to and what are your plans for the next year?

I don't really know what I'm looking forward to as far as this site. Maybe my player getting marginally better, since that seems to be the trend right now. I'm pretty content with where I am as far as the jobs I have and everything. I'm not seeking anything right now. Personally/IRL, I'm looking forward to college! Heading off in a month. It's going to be crazy.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1358' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>jRuutu</a>

Where in Finland are you?

I was in Helsinki!

Any comments about Finland in general so far?

I only got to spend a day there, but it's very nice! I didn't get to see that much at all, but I don't know whether there just isn't that much to do in Helsinki or whether I just didn't spend enough time there.

How did you found about SHL?

As far as my presence online as a hockey fan, <a href='index.php?showuser=2101' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Jenny</a> practically raised me. She started posting about it on Twitter last summer, inviting us to join, and it seemed interesting, so I signed up.

One year is fairly short time, but is SHL any different now when comparing to the time when you joined?

I think it's gotten a bit tamer. I see people being marginally more civil to each other now than a year ago, which is interesting and pretty cool. I do say marginally, though, it hasn't changed that much. It also seems a little more organized, especially at the juniors level. Honestly, it all seems about the same. SHL gonna SHL. Things don't change much around here when looking at the big picture.

Any tips or advice for newer users on having an enjoyable time in SHL?

Don't fret so much about what older (or even just other) members of the site say or what they think of you. You'll have a lot more fun. That's something I wish I had known when I first joined, and something I still sometimes have trouble reconciling. I think if I had kept that in mind when I first joined and not listened to the opinions of other people, I'd be a more involved public forum presence on the site now instead of retreating to my LRs and assorted Discords. Get to know people and try not to be so self-conscious about whom you're talking to and what you or other people are doing. You'll enjoy yourself more.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1286' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-52'>r1c3bowl22</a>

How do you think your second year will differ from your first year?

For one, I know a lot more people now. Maybe I should rephrase that though; a lot more people know me now. By getting involved in so many odd jobs, I've gotten to know a lot of people on the site, and people have started to recognize my name. Almost all the new people entering the site nowadays at least tangentially know me as well, whether it be because I sent them their first message or just by virtue of being in the rookie Discords. That's a pretty big change considering that for most of my first year, I felt like a grain of salt in the sea among so many people. Otherwise? Idk, maybe I'll crack the secret to being a line goddess and Russia will win a thousand gold medals. That'd be cool.

If a new member asked you "who the heck is this r1c3bowl person?" what would you say?

He's someone who has held toooooooo many jobs on this site, someone who for some godforsaken reason loves ecology enough to pursue it as a career, and someone whose player has helped mine break out. Thanks for that, by the way. It's refreshing. Wink

<a href='index.php?showuser=2643' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>DannyMethane</a>

Who the neck is this r1c3bowl person?

Idk man, just some straggler who keeps wandering back into my locker room every so often after hanging with other teams.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2349' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>bozzz</a>

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a hotdog isn't a sandwich?

The weight of approximately 42 Cupcakes.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2644' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Loco</a>

what is ur favorite memory of ur first year on the site?

I don't know if I have a standout favorite, since I've had some good times on this site. I do have some moments that immediately come to mind, though. Funnily enough, even though I've both won a Four Star Cup and gotten drafted 1st overall, the first moment that came to mind was actually the second? third? time I recorded a podcast with <a href='index.php?showuser=2327' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-69'>ztevans</a>. Primarily because the entire time, I couldn't stop laughing. We were needling each other about the dumbest things on that episode, more so than the other two we recorded together. I've gotten no greater pleasure on this site than provoking him into saying "I fucking hate you" on air to me, lmao. I think I'm the only guest on his podcast that has had the honor of receiving legitimate verbal vitriol from him. :lol:

<a href='index.php?showuser=2327' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-69'>ztevans</a>

Why didn't Zach Evans just go the fuck away after Volks killed him in game 5 of the S30 Halifax-Detroit series?

He did. For like, four seasons. Or did you forget our rookie wager?

<a href='index.php?showuser=30' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>HabsFanFromOntario</a>

How much do you love your rookies?

They know how much I love them, I tell them as much on a daily basis. They crack me up all the time. Nothing better than popping in every so often and seeing the weird shit they get to talking about in the rookie Discord. And of course, they have fantastic music taste; kind of hard not to love them. It's awesome every season to see the rookies we help out grow, get used to each other, and then go off and do big things on the site without us.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1546' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Slappydoodle</a>

In Finland right now, where's next?

Well, I've been in Russia since yesterday! We're heading out tonight though, next stop is Tallinn, Estonia tomorrow.

How many more seasons does Ole Slappy have in him?

He needs to have about 15 more in him, because Volkova absolutely refuses to play without her captain. Take the Elyk route and just never leave us, please.

Is Volkova ready to be an elite forward in this league? Ultimately are you building a sniper or more of an all-around skater?

The first answer is absolutely not. She's playing at a marginally lower scrub level this season, which is cool, but she's not even close to elite, and at this point, I don't know if she'll ever be. I wanted to build a physical sniper, but somehow that build produced a tiny playmaker. I don't really know what's going on anymore.

Ready for school yet?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhno. I mean, I'm really excited for my classes (I enroll tomorrow) and my music housing. But I don't think it's really hit me yet that I'm actually moving.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2280' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>daBenchwarmer</a>

Why didn't Kaisey go away when you knocked him the fuck out during that SHL game?

I don't know. But it was pretty fucking awesome.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1322' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>mpc</a>

Is being Russia's GM still fun/exciting?

To be honest, it's gotten more stressful every season. I always feel weird being Head considering that I'm one of the newest members of the team and surrounded by veterans who probably expect more success than we've had. I know our roster has the talent to be continual contenders, but the fact that I've just never found the secret to making it work concerns me almost every tournament when I'm tinkering with lines. I do love being "Mother Russia," though. I'm proud of my team and I'm proud to lead it.

If you had to rank the jobs you've had, from most fun to least fun, what would that ranking be?

I assume you mean on the site. I haven't had that many major jobs, just a lot of minor ones.

1. Rookie Mentor (Head)
2. Russian Federation Head
3. PT Grader
4. Fantasy Manager
5. SMJHL Awards Committee member

When are you becoming a FA?

Technically, as of right now? End of this season. Realistically? Only in your wildest fantasies, bud. You couldn't pay me enough to leave West Kendall voluntarily.

In traditional presser fashion, talk about me plz.

Clards... Do you know how weird it is to see you as a GM now? [I wasn't around for your last runs, so I don't know how different this'll be.] :lol: In all seriousness, I'm happy for you. It'll be interesting to see what you do with the team. You were the person who gave me my first (and so far, only) shot at management, and that's something I still appreciate quite a bit. You know you get a lot of shit on this site, including some from me occasionally, but you're a good member of this site and a great friend.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2241' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>NYRangers3061</a>

How do you feel about Starfox winning the "Best Raiders Dog" vote?

I love it. He is my precious boy and I'm glad other people can recognize that. I'm very proud of him.

Can Russia win a medal in IIHF next season?

I know our roster is strong enough to do it. Just a matter of playing with lines to figure out how to get it done. I sincerely hope so. I have a lot of faith in our team.

How are you liking the rookie mentor job?

Do you mean the job in general or the position as head? Because I've been holding a job as a mentor for 3 or 4 seasons now. That being said, I love it. It's my favorite thing about being on the site nowadays. I feel like I actually get to make a difference and help in my own little way. I'm probably not going to apply to any GM positions anymore, since I wouldn't be good at it, but this is the next best thing. This is the part of GM'ing that I think I am good at, interacting with and helping rookies. As far as becoming head, literally nothing's changed. I do the same share of work I did before, and I haven't had to sign a paycheck yet since the season hasn't ended. I've done nothing differently since the transition. Don't know whether that means I was doing my job right before or that I'm doing it wrong now :lol:

<a href='index.php?showuser=2509' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-62'>Crossfit Jesus</a>

How many shots of vodka do you take a day?

Funnily enough, around when you posted this, I was taking a shot of Russian vodka in St. Petersburg. The actual answer is "not enough."

What's the most memorable memory you have from the last year of being on the site?

Answered above!

What separates the Russian National Team from the other federations?

I'd like to think that what separates us is how close we are compared to other federations. We all get along very, very well, and we like to have fun. We have a locker room and a Discord that are decently active throughout the season, not just the offseason. There's a lot to be said about Russian pride on this team, even when we might not be playing that well.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2646' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Sleepy</a>

hi pris, ily.

hi bb, ily2.

What's been your favorite part of the SHL? Least favorite?

My favorite has probably been the people that I've met. Obviously, I've gotten to know many people around these parts, but there have been a select few who have really become some of my closest friends over the course of the past year. It's great to talk to all different types of people around here. Never a dull moment.

Least favorite has been following my player. Up until this past season, my player was bad enough that I basically just stopped looking at the index. It really isn't fun after a while when your player is literally useless. I've also gotten a LOT of shit for it over the past year, so. /shrug
She's doing a lot better now. Broke 30 points this season when she had never even had 20 in the past. Hopefully the next year is more fun than this one as far as her performance.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1245' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>ThatDamnWalrus</a>

Change your tag back to Southern Belle pls. ty.

Maybe when Buffalo manages to win a championship. Have fun with that one.

<a href='index.php?showuser=2652' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Candrews</a>

If a train is travelling south bound at 50 mph,and another one is travelling north at 73 mph, how do I get me damn roommate to stop setting off the smoke detector?

You don't, you just cry internally and stay out of the dorm as much as possible.

[Up to this point, all questions were answered while I was in Russia. No longer the case, I'm headed to Germany right now. So these might be outdated, lol.]

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

If you could change something from the past year on here what would it be?

What do you look forward to and what are your plans for the next year?

Hope this helps Smile

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Where in Finland are you?

Any comments about Finland in general so far?

How did you found about SHL?

One year is fairly short time, but is SHL any different now when comparing to the time when you joined?

Any tips or advice for newer users on having a enjoyable time in SHL?

How do you think your second year will differ from your first year?

If a new member asked you "Who the heck is this r1c3bowl person" what would you say?

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Who the neck is this r1c3bowl person?

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]

Interview How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a hotdog isn't a sandwich?

what is ur favorite memory of ur first year on the site?

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Why didn't Zach Evans just go the fuck away after Volks killed him in game five of the S30 Halifax-Detroit series?

Zach Evans | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

How much do you love your rookies? :wub:

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

In Finland right now, where's next?

How many more seasons does Ole Slappy have in him?

Is Volkova ready to be an elite forward in this league? Ultimately are you building a sniper or more of a all round skater?

Ready for school yet?

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Why didn't Kaisey go away when you knocked him the fuck out during that SHL game?

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Is being Russia's GM still fun/exciting?

If you had to rank the jobs you've had, from most fun to least fun, what would that tanking be?

When are you becoming a FA? Ninja

In traditional presser fashion, talk about me plz Smile

How do you feel about Starfox winning the "Best Raiders Dog" vote? Wink

Can Russia win a medal in IIHF next season?

How are you liking the rookie mentoring job?

Smile raiders

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jul 7 2017, 08:41 PM

When are you becoming a FA? Ninja

Yeah c, I love ya and all, but you can back that shit right the fuck up and stick it on top of your gigantic phallic symbol / team logo.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Quote:Originally posted by NYRangers3061@Jul 7 2017, 05:46 PM
How do you feel about Starfox winning the "Best Raiders Dog" vote? Wink
Yeahthat

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat