Create Account

S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began

For Joorgustraad, he and his cousin Joln did a school tour of Gothenburg, Sweden as a way for kids to learn about the wonders of physical activity. Both being prime specimens, both talked about how both determination and exercise were vital to become the best players they could be. Afterwards, the kids would usually bring up the fact that Joln was a complete scrub, but fortunately for them, Joln was a pacifist off the rink, and usually just shows the kids his Challenge Cup ring to shut them up. Then, the cousins would take the kids to their local rink, and do hockey drills. Joorgustraad would do skills drills with a group, while Joln would put the other group through physicality training, performing hits and checks to the kids until they could stand upright afterwards (although he would usually give up on them after 5 attempts). The kids get a cool photo and autograph, and their parents come to pick them up/issue a restraining order.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

ISFL PT

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

Even in the bright lights and the big city of Vancouver, William Hartmann hasn't forgotten where he came from. In the offseason after S54, in which the Whalers struggled their way to just 11 wins, he returned to Switzerland to speak to kids at the middle school that he attended. As one of the more famous alumni of the school, his presence was eagerly anticipated. Hartmann started off the talk by telling a story about moving away to North America to play in the SMJHL after his stint for EHC Kloten of the Swiss League. He spoke about having to adjust to the new circumstances of living on his own in Vancouver and playing for a team that went all over the country from Anchorage to Carolina, and playing for a team in the midst of a rebuild. Finally, Hartmann spoke of the hard work that went into becoming a first-round pick of the SHL's Edmonton Blizzard and his continued journey to lead the Whalers back to playoff contention, and the importance of perservering through difficult circumstances such as, say, playing for a team that put up the joint fourth-worst record in SMJHL history, as well as rewarding times like being a mentor for the rookie classes as they came in.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I'm not super comfortable in front of people but that's mostly because I'm a small town guy who has stayed out of the limelight so far in my brief career. After graduating from the Swedish juniors national team they decided to have me give a speech to the all of the guys trying out for the team. My spiel is the typical rah rah speech about how if you work hard and keep your nose clean you can do anything. I go into the details about how the game is different and what it means to me to play for my country and other hockey related questions. They asked me what Wagstrom is like and how playing for the Outlaws is like, how is the weather in Anaheim? How it feels to be a 4 Star Cup Champion and how I have handled struggling at the SHL level. Very tough questions but basically just that I haven't gotten to reach my full potential and I'm still working very hard. Maybe the next Wagstrom is one of you!

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Noah's speech would be pretty boilerplate, nothing out of the ordinary for a hockey player. He was never a great speaker and especially not when it came to talking in front of big crowds. Nonetheless, he would be more than willing to step up to the plate and give a speech to the youth of his hometown. His speech would certainly hit on the big points of setting your mind on a goal and committing yourself to achieving that goal. Lots of talk about setting the bar high and shooting for the stars, not letting anything get in your way or stop you. But he'd also be realistic in saying that not everyone is going to be able to achieve their goals, and that you can't let that bring you down. He'd let the kids know that sometimes they need to dust themselves off and re-assess, maybe set some new goals as time goes on. But never get discouraged.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

Not long after the Simulation Hockey League Awards Ceremony in New Orleans, Elizabeth Doyle made her way home, in Galway, Ireland, in order to rest a bit before the international tournament. The ceremony was a great night for her, as she won the rookie of the year and to her surprise, both goalies awards for the previous season. Her phone was buzzing with congratulations from old teammates or other players. In all these notifications, she noticed a message from her primairy school asking if she could come give a speech to the kids about her recent success and her path to achieve it. She agreed.
The speech focused mainly on the dedication and sacrifice she had to make to achieve this level of play. It’s not an easy life to be a professional athlete, but she managed to do it. She wanted to make sure the kids understood that it’s an hard path, but wherever you put your heart, you can achieve something great.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

If I were to be invited back to my elementary school, I would definitely talk about all of the things that I have learned since graduating the 6th grade. I think the first thing that I would talk about would be how much they should value their parents and their ability to live with their family for free. I think this can help them avoid the struggles of having arguments with their parents that could potentially lead to long lasting fallouts that hurt their futures. I also think I would touch on the cliche dangers of the party scene that everybody glorifies. Even though they probably get a lot of talks, I would show them how being a professional athlete has led me to see how empty and dangerous the material world that we are told to pursue really is. That at the end of the day, there is only one thing that gives life and that is that Jesus Christ died on the cross.

[Image: dakiller11.gif]
somebody please make me a sig

Unlike many of his compatriots that would end up going back to schools in the United States, Canada or Europe where hockey was considered a major sport, Rex would have to return to his home town of London in the United Kingdom. He wasn't exactly sure why they had invited him back seeing as they certainly didn't play or care about hockey there. Maybe it was because he was one of the few students who hadn't turned to a life of crime or teen pregnancy so this is what he focused on in his speech. He spoke primarily about how even he a below average student could go on to produce great things just by being determined and persistent and that while it seems like youth will go on forever and there will be no responsibilities eventually adulthood would come calling for most of them. He felt inspired by his own speech and wished there had been someone to give a speech like that when he had been younger, however most of the kids didn't look like they cared at all.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

So, for Jesse Seppanen's speech to the young children in his faraway town of Espoo, Finalnd, he stressed the importance of working hard - Seppanen was a late round pick of the SMJHL Draft, and eventually grew into a 2nd round pick of the SHL Draft. But, Seppanen hasn't made it all of the wya to the top yet. He stressed that continually working hard outweighs the best talents in the world - there have been very talented and highly toughted SHL Players that has walked through the SMJHL door with hype all over them that turned out to be nothing but busts. It happens in every sport - that's why Seppanen stresses the importance of hard work and doing all of the small things right - people notice that. Other than that, Seppanen talked about what life was like in Maine, with fishing, and playing in the SMJHL as a whole. He talked about his draft experience and what happened there before he bid adu to the kids and went on his way back to training camp.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Everyone in the school is laughing uncontrollably after the last hilarious anecdote told by Pepperoni

"Look kids, I'm going to need to take a step back and be a little inspirational for a second. Life is a lot like hockey. You live for the moments you can wheel, snipe and celly but there's so much more that goes into it than that. In order to make the show I needed to work my butt off on the ice, in the rink and yes, even in school. Your teachers are like my coach and they're trying to get the absolute best out of you, even if they seem like big meanies sometimes. Right Mr. Kennedy?"

everyone looks back to the well-known hard nosed teacher and giggles

"As much as I like putting half-claps top-shelf, I also need to get pucks in deep and work hard in the corners. Without being a well-rounded player, I will have no success. You might like Gym class, math or maybe science but you need to work on all your skills if you're going to become well-rounded like Tony Pepperoni!"

The school nods their head in agreement, it appears Tony has really gotten through to these kids

"Now who wants to hear about the time Jean-Paul Boivin ate way too many chicken wings on the team bus?"

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

"Well kids, you see as my father once said, if you want to be the best you have to eat the best. Unfortunately that is why my father now struggles with morbid obesity. You see, when you are a professional athlete often times your food intake is increased due to the sheer amount of energy exerted during a game or practice session, but after your career winds down, often times the professional athletes food in-take does not wind down with their career and that is why I am here. I am Conor Tanner with the Edmonton Blizzard and I am here to talk to you about the importance of healthy food intake as the main defense mechanism your body has against type one diabetes. The habits need to start young, because it is very easy to get into a routine of unhealthy eating, such as fast food and sweets on the daily. As I always tell my father now, I eat clean so I can play mean."

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Quote:Given your player's incredible success blossoming into an SHL superstar and a local hero, your old school has invited you back to give a very special talk to the current youth; they know how respected you are in the community and they know how much it would mean to those kids to hear from you in person. So during the offseason, at the beginning of the school year, you travel back to your hometown and visit the primary school/middle school/high school/university that you attended and give a speech to inspire the youth.

Written Option B (150 words min.): Provide an excerpt of your speech - either from the main portion or the Q&A that follows.

Adam: Alright, listen up kids. This is going to be tough to hear, but it's something that you need to know before you get out in the real world. And please, let this stay between you, the audience, and me, the speaker. Life is shit. I spent my entire career working toward a future in the SHL, went from being drafted in the late second round of the S49 SMJHL entry draft to going first overall in the S50 SHL draft. I’ve put in tons of hours at the gym, working on my shot, fitness, strength, skating, hitting, passing, you name it. I’ve broken my back to improve my ability to play the game of hockey, and where has it gotten me? One goal and four assists in twelve games. A minus 9 rating on the season.
I know what you’re thinking: you must not be getting minutes on the ice. Wrong. I’m averaging over twenty minutes a game, including nearly three minutes on the power play. My coaches are giving me the chance to succeed, my teammate are doing their best to put me in a position to score, and guess what’s happening? Shit all.

Teacher: Mr. Barron, please watch your language. These kids are young.

Adam: What’s happening? Doodoo all. I can’t hit the gosh darn net with any of my funky shots, and the silly see-you-enn-tees in the media have nothing better to do than fork me in my bottom. So just give up now, because it doesn’t---

Teacher: OK everyone, let’s have a round of applause for Mr. Barron, and then get ready for nap time. ■

[273 words]

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Going into my sorry back in speech, I would be woefully under-prepared. Assuming that I would write it the night before, I made a key mistake and went out to the pub instead, leaving me hungover and grasping for something to say as I wait for my turn.

I come up with the idea of talking about being careful of the man, and learning who on trust and not to trust. As I begin to say it, I can notice the eyes of the faculty staring me down, they don't appear to like the message. I will push through, knowing sowing seeds of distrust is important should these students ever come into contact with a shadow organization pulling the strings like I have seen. I'll shift gears midway through, trying to get the teachers off my back to start extolling the virtues of hard work and perseverance towards your goals to make them happen, and not to let those haters get you down. It must work if a nutjob like me can make it to the SHL.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

Jaska Seppala is very proud of being a Finnish soon to be superstar. He considers it to be an extreme honor and is very humbled to be given the opportunity to speak in front of his old school. Because of this, he took a lot of time in preparing his speech so that he did not stand up in front of all these kids just to stumble through it. The speech was basically how determined he was to make a name for himself, how long he practiced day in and day out to achieve his goals of playing in the SHL and that anybody can really do it. He did not get there because of some special gift, he got there because he wanted it. Who knows, maybe he did inspire someone and maybe there is the next Jaska Seppala in the crowd. His only hope is that someone took that to heart and will work even harder to achieve their dream.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Bradley Barkov is not a fiery orator. His style of leadership is usually one of example. When visiting his old hometown in Finland during the off-season, he was invited to give a speech at his old school. While usually this would be an uncomfortable task, this particular speech doesnt really make him nervous because its just a frank talk with kids not much younger then him. The speech will be less focused on the particulars of hockey, and more toward the general attitude and work effort it took for him to achieve his goals thus far. He'll talk about all the times he doubted he had what it took, and about the people you need around you to support you to erase that doubt. Afterwards he plans to hold a mini hockey instructional camp for young youth players at the local hockey rink he practiced at his whole childhood, focusing on the basics of skating and beginner puck handling fundamentals. Barkov wants to give back to the community that he grew up in and to everyone who supported his dream.

[Image: vDWeWJB.png]
Sig By Carpy48
Selected #14 Overall to the Colorado Raptors
Selected #9 Overall to the Calgary Dragons
Finland Dragons Raptors
[Image: zdXC6eb.png][Image: 8b7dmkE.png]