Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 06:34 PM by Kalakar.)

My expansion team idea is Team Simmer Claim

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

Fileworker PT pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

I mean, do I really even need to say it? It's the [insert city] Sand Lions obviously. It's perfect because it works in so many ways. The Miami Sand Lions? Guess what there is sand on those beaches and lions are really cool so I'm sure they'd love to have one as their logo (irl they've already got a panther so I'm right). Another idea would be the Salt Lake City Sand Lions. That one just sounds cool and we could have brought back the 80s Jazz look and that 80s design that's on all those paper cups kind of looks like sand. The Arizona Sand Lions would be super dope because 1. Arizona is a desert (did somebody say sand?) and second they've got mountain lions out there! Sand and Lions, Sand Lions! The logo would be a super cool looking lion that's fading into sand kind of like the avengers movie when they get snapped. Super cool branding and super bummed they weren't auto-selected despite the fact I didn't apply.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

This one is super easy for me. If I was the GM of an expansion franchise there's no doubt I would bring a team back to Montreal. Montreal was relocated in the J and I think we deserve to have a team in this league. In addition to me being from Montreal, there are a ton of guys on this site who are from Montreal as well who I'm sure would love a team in Montreal and would play for one.

As for the name, I thought about this and what would really be appropriate for a team in Montreal? The Montreal Potholes. The city is known for pretty shitty road conditions. Potholes are synonymous with the city and would be a fitting name for a team here. Branding would definitely be around potholes and orange cones. You cannot go anywhere in Montreal and not see orange cones, so it would be perfectly fitting. Maybe have the jerseys make the players look like cones on the ice too. I think it would be perfect.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 05:34 PM by Tylar.)

My expansion idea would be to place the team in Stockholm. I know that going overseas seems like a bad idea for a North American based league, but it feels like the SHL has is almost every area of North America, and branching out to make its brand global seems like a good idea to me. I picked Stockholm because it is a major city and it is in Sweden where hockey is pretty popular. The name I would chose is the Stockholm Royals. I picked the Royals to play off the Swedish “Three Crowns”. The colors of the team would be blue and yellow. I feel like this would be a neat idea considering the location and the name have meaning to Sweden. I feel like a design around a crown or a king type logo would be perfect for the team.  To me I think it would be important to get the SHL brand to Europe as there is a heavy European influence already in the SHL. It would be neat to see an expansion team overseas. Hopefully one day it happens.

If I was to place a team in North America though it would likely be in the Mid-west like Wisconsin of Ohio.

Code:
210 words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM
Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Sad Ketchup -Present
S76 Ryan Jesster Trophy Winner

If I were to be given another chance at creating an expansion team, I would bring the team I created in the SMJHL up to the big leagues. The Boston Battalion would be the newest team to play in the SHL. Boston is a large hockey maker and the fact there are no teams in that city is wild. The Battalion sport the classic Bruins yellow, mixed with a dark blue to go along with a silver trim. The reason why I chose the name Battalion is that represents strength, unity and loyalty which I believe are three qualities you want to have the group of hockey players if you want to make a run at a title. The choice for Boston is obvious as it is a hockey rich city, in a state known for its hockey lore. I think that at some point a team needs to be put in Boston and the Battalion would be a great choice as a team to go there.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

In real life, I live in Salt Lake City. I'm going to go with the obvious choice and propose we put a fake hockey team where I live. Now I have to rationalize it. Salt Lake City is a place where people are very into snow and cold things because there's mountains and people like to slide down them. People who like the cold also probably like hockey, right? So this would probably be a good place to put a hockey team. People all across Utah would be fans as well as those weirdos that live in Wyoming and Idaho and such. That's a big opportunity for a fan base. Now let's come up with a name that is cool and alliterative and maybe has something to do with hockey. How about the Salt Lake Sharpshooters? That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Sure, it's a name that can apply to a lot of sports but in hockey you have to be a bit of a sharpshooter to get yourself some goals. In conclusion, let's make the Mormons happy and put a fake hockey team here.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 07:21 PM by Steve.)

[Image: uKpUW6r.png]

@hotdog your new expansion team should be the Holstein Hotdogs. Now I get why would we put a Simulation Hockey League team in a random town in Iowa. Well I am glad you asked. The only reason is it was the first town that starts with an H that came to mind. Now let's look and see if that will work. With a population of less than 1400 this might not be the best choice but damnit folks will travel to see the fighting hotdogs play some hockey. You know why I know this? This is because there is nothing to do in Iowa so of course people will drive an hour away to see a professional hockey team. Less than an hour away from Sioux City Iowa and less than 2 hours away from Omaha, Nebraska you just might see the hotdog fans make the commute to see some high octane hockey. Now you just need to have a cool logo with a hotdog in full hockey gear.

[Image: lazer2.png]

As one of the Swedes on the site I of course have to make my expansion pitch for a Swedish team. And with Stockholm being the capital, it would make the most sense.

The full team name would be the Stockholm Royal Guards. Why? Well, because Sweden is a monarchy and in Stockholm you will find the royal palace which is guarded at all times by the Swedish royal guard. It is one thing that stands out when you visit Stockholm. Our colors would be blue, white(blue and white are the main guard colors) with yellow as the accent color. The logo would be the profile of a guard wearing a pickelhaube helmet, just like the real guards wear. The logo would use more yellow/gold tones than the rest of the uniform. And finally, for the goal song, it would have to be a trumpet fanfare that the royal guard plays during the changing of the guard.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

So the cult actually has a member that is a whole entire franchise and I believe it would work well with this league.

The Montreal 96ers.

The 96th chosen member of the cult is in fact an entire franchise/organisation. 96ers mainly to rival the Phill76ers and they were the 96th team to be selected by the cults lord. It is only a basketball team so far but this would be great for SHL purely cause this league replaced a Montreal team with a shite crackhead wannabe seattle team and that is silly.

Overall they would probably be a pretty god damn good team that would be pretty good to see exist but I do not fancy being a GM in any of these leagues. Too much work.

They play in blue, black and white and whilst I do not have the logo on this laptop it is quite sexy. Perhaps one day they will join an ice hockey league. Time will tell.

[163 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Our expansion team idea will of course be on Mars. Igor has been itching for an SHL team on Mars, not to mention that Mars is expected to invade the SHL next season or so if they don't get a hockey team. Of course, the Tampa Bay Barracuda will be taken away to Mars and renamed the Martian Humans. More teams on Mars are expected, and I will propose the addition of one team at the geographic north pole of Mars. Of course, they will be tens of millions of kilometers away from almost every other SHL team, but it will be worth it. The team will be called something that I cannot type on my keyboard because it is in the Martian language. The colors are five different shades of ultraviolet that are invisible to humans, but visible to Martians. The goal song will be sung using frequencies that are inaudible to humans and the season calendar for the team will be based around the Martian calendar of 668 Martian days per year (687 Earth days), more than Earth's 365.

This will be inconvenient for humans, but I think this is the best way that the SHL can break into the interplanetary market. I'll let @hotdog have the honor of being the GM of this team if he so wants.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

If I had the choice to decide one of the new expansion teams I would go with Team Toast. It is a very straight forward name but you see back in the S10-S20 era, someone actually made a team Toast icon similar to the ones that we see in the smilies option right now.

The branding of the team would be easy. We would have nothing but lightly-toasted colours with our logo being that on a piece of toast with the word Toast written across it.

I believe this branding would make members want to be part of my team. With such a unique brand, how could you not? In the expansion draft I would have to aim for the members that most match up with my own qualities, just to ensure this would truly be a real Team Toast. I would draft all of the Berserkers to start despite protection lists or draft year exemptions. This innovative branding would start a new era in the SHL and give me the chance to prove that I am one of the best general managers.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

I don’t think there’s any point in the foreseeable future that I would be seen as a valid SHL GM. But if I had to choose one, I’d likely choose a larger mid-Atlantic city, largely avoiding the largest and most obvious options like D.C., New York City, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh (the latter only because I’m a Ravens fan and couldn’t in good conscience support a Pittsburgh team). That doesn’t leave a lot of options – especially since the likes of Baltimore and Buffalo are already taken – but would leave Rochester, NY as a viable alternative and a thorn in the side of my current SHL team, Buffalo. I think having an intense same-state rivalry would do decent things for the SHL, and since Buffalo is one of the SHL’s current most successful franchises, it’d have to suffer as the ‘little brother’ franchise before getting its revenge.

I’d call it the Rochester Freedom – a nod to the city’s extensive history in liberating and empowering those who could not previously fend for themselves. Indeed, the likes of Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass spent many of their most productive years in Rochester in spite of its ‘small’ name relative to the likes of Philadelphia or Washington, D.C.

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

the best expansion team branding in the shl would be if there became an official dunder mifflin team based out of scranton pennsylvania. the dunder mifflin salesmen would be an amazing branding. you could have michael scarn as the lead star player of the main branch of the company which also serves as their recreational hockey team. michael scarn would be the manager of the branch, direction traffic and managing all of the salesmen as they create sales and pass the ball to one another to try to score a big deal with their clients. you could have dwight schrute as your goalie because dwight has amazing reflexes and hand eye coordination as shown by his years of training in martial arts, and dwight can bring great energy out of the crease. scranton pennsylvania is kind of a small city compared to the larger markets in the shl but the fans of scranton are passionate and hearty people.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]