Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea

[Image: 5WefiZL.png]

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2020, 02:04 PM by suavemente.)

[Image: 7nCqNkC.png]

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

Because timezones are fake and we already manage to travel to Alaska for games somehow, I do think we should have a team in Sweden, and I don't think Stockholm is a bad idea (probably my first choice). But people have already mentioned Stockholm so I'm going with my second choice. My expansion team idea is the Luleå Aurora. Luleå is way way up far north, and as such, is a great place to see the northern lights. The logo, which I attempted to design and then gave up on because it was taking me way too long for 3TPE, would incorporate both the L and the A (with the L heavily slanted to overlap with the left side of the A), and would feature a single ribbon of color to represent the aurora. The colors would be two different shades of blue-green, one darker to represent the sky, the other brighter to represent the lights. I know what you're thinking - wow, the northern lights are not super intimidating that you're naming a sports team after them - but I say, the idea is not necessarily to intimidate but to leave observers with an overwhelming sense of awe at the majesty of what they have witnessed. Also, the goal song would be Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

I would place my team in Montreal, because while it is overused, I think there is good history to Quebec as a whole. One man that would come to mind is George "Buzz" Beurling, who if you didn't know, was probably the most famous Canadian who ended up flying over to help with the British defence of Malta. He shot down 24 enemy aircraft over Malta, and he did it in the Supermarine Spitfire. So with respect to the contributions of Beurling, as well as the sacrifices of our military as a whole, the team name would be the Montreal Spitfires. It helps that it sounds badass. 

As for team colours, a blue, silver, and white combination would come to life, with a hint of red as well. No special meaning, just the scheme you would see on a Spitfire.

The main logo would simply be a Spitfire, with a secondary with likeness to the RAF 249 Squadron, who the Canadian flyers joined in Malta. They were one of the best Squadrons for the UK, and used the Spitfire alongside. 

Any team hype would include the engine starting, and the flying of the Spitfire as audio in some way. After a goal song it would take off, pregame you would hear it start up, that sort of thing.

If I were putting in a new expansion team I'd put it in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's a part of the country that doesn't have any team representation outside of the NBA. I think an SHL franchise could do well there. The team could be called the SLC Miners. This would be a play on all of the salt there and salt mining. AKA mining the salt of all the fans of other teams after they cry about how bad SLC just beat them. The logo would be a pick axe slamming into a salt flat. The goal song would be something insane like a Strapping Young Lad or Devin Townsend song. It would do everything it can to rebel and not be seen as a Mormon affiliated organization. They would have to sell that half alcohol beer, though. I think the color scheme would be some form of silver, blue and gold. This would help to bring more hockey out west and also give the people of SLC something fun to watch.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

I would like to take the simulation hockey league to a Canadian hockey market - My first choice would be St.John's, however, they currently have an SMJHL team. Honestly, since St. John's is taken, I'd probably expand into New Jersey. It's a big market not being taken advantage of at this time - I'd probably call them the Jersey Privateers.

As for the colours - they'd likely be somethin funky - im thinking something similar to the Atlanta Thrashers old uniforms - Burgundy as the main colour, with white, black, yellow and light blue as the lining / secondary. It'd look very regal and proper. The logo would likely be a collegiate font burgundy "N" with and yellow lining.

Putting a team in New Jersey would spark a lot of rivalries in the east - most notably vs Manhattan, New England and perhaps even Toronto.

Perhaps one day I can put my New Jersey plan into fruition - but that would definitely not be for quite some time.

If I were the GM of an expansion team, of course it would be in Portland, OR. I am incredibly biased, because I live in Portland, but it was previously the home to an SHL franchise, the Portland Admirals (now SF Pride). There aren't that many teams on the West Coast and it seems like an incredibly under served population.  Between, LA, San Francisco and Vancouver (Juniors) there's a pretty big gap along the western seaboard. Assuming I wouldn't be able to use the old Portland Admirals branding, I would name the team the Portland Pilots.  An homage to the bar pilots who navigate shipping vessels up and down the Columbia river. The colors would be Red, Black and Silver, to match the Portland Trailblazers, with whom they would share an arena, the Moda Center. Portland has a decently large hockey fan base, as well as just a fanatical sports fan base in general. I feel like a team here would get supported immediately.  There would be a natural rivalry with the California teams, considering Portlanders disdain for all things California, as well as the former Portland team now being the San Francisco Pride.

[Image: hudson.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2020, 05:08 PM by JURT.)

[Image: S-A-N-2-2.png]

[Image: lespoils.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2020, 05:12 PM by PremierBromanov.)

The city most deserving of a team is the greatest city in the midwest: Grand Rapids, Michigan. Detroit has a juniors team (kinda silly tbh, should be SHL), obviously Chicago has one. Who lies betwixt those cities? two and a half hours either direction. You guessed it, Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids already hosts an AHL team called the Griffins, with some decent playoff success in past years and a strong fanbase that just loves to watch hockey. Now, GR isn't as storied as either cities, but they represent areas of Michigan that are often neglected by the east side. Namely, the lovely beaches, beach towns, but also the strong Craft beer scene in GR. It makes sense, more than any other city in the US, that our team be called The Brewers. It's not an original name, as I've seen it on many professional and amateur teams. But it sings true. Grand Rapids and west michigan is famous for, if anything, great beer. Founders, New Holland, Bells, Atwater, Brewery Vivant, Greyline, Harmony, GRBC, Elk Brewing, Perrin...I digress. Nothing represents the spirit of the working class of Grand Rapids -- the men and women who create and serve beer throughout our wonderful city -- better than The Brewers.

The logo is a bearded man with a beer soaked bible in one hand and a pretzel in the other.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

If I got the Eastern team, I would go with the Philadelphia Rowdies. The moniker to me fits the city, a noted blue-collar city with people on the wild side of things, a crowd for any event that isn't always agreeable, and is not likely to be told what to do and thus would get Rowdy. Colour scheme would be grey and tan, since those colours don't see a lot of use in the SHL, and the logo would be a scarred guy with two fists up ready to fight.

For the Western team, I'd roll with the resurrection of the Seattle Riot, but if that was a no-go for both city and name, I'd try the Kansas City Pioneers. I believe Missouri was an important location in the various explorations of America so lets go with that. Colours would be black and brown for variety, and the logo would be an explorer-looking guy using a hockey stick as a walking stick, wearing furs, and looking out over the horizon with his hand shading over his eyes.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Former Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger -  Aurora  Stars

[Image: fyXXr6Y.png]

the honohlulu fineapples

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

ISFL Welfare (Username: Thor)

[Image: Thor-Hockey_2.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 05:01 PM by Brandon.)

Original Artwork

[Image: 6XbXRUy.png]

[Image: A9I3sRp.png]

[Image: Gw5HrvH.png]

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Team: Ann Arbor Anchovies

Why Ann Arbor? Well I think Michigan could use some more hockey teams. They are basically Canada and Michigan itself is slacking in the SHL. We need more hockey to appease the fans up north. Ann Arbor is a nice place and we'll get lots of attention from folks from the University of Michigan. A football and basketball school can add a hockey program that could act as a feeder to the Anchovies. 

Why Anchovies? First off, it has a nice ring. Alliteration is a wonderful thing in sports teams and really makes it fun to say. Plus, anchovies are an animal that could work as a great logo if someone were to design that. 

Logo: Three giant anchovies with a hockey puck and the team name in the middle.

Colors: Blue and Black. The ocean is blue, so the Anchovies get some jerseys to match. The black will make them intimidating if the mascot is not intimidating enough.

Goal Song: We will have Spongebob's alarm clock (horn), followed by an abridged Spongebob theme song.

[Image: cNHA4sa.png]

If I were a GM of an expansion franchise, I would first surround myself with the best developers around and build a state of the art facility in a downtown location and have various transportation methods accessible to all wanting to come and have an experience of a lifetime. Indoor parking of coarse, subway system and bus terminal inside the facility as well so no body will have to face the outdoor elements.

Of coarse when we speak of hockey there is but one city that comes to mind for myself, and that is Montreal. This is the mecca of hockey going back to the very first days where hockey was played outdoors by people who also had a paying job to compensate their earnings as a hockey pay alone was not enough. With all the hometown legends that were produced by this hockey market I would then name the team, the Montreal Legends.

Team colors would consist of Red (to represent its nation Canada), Blue (to represent our province Quebec) and Gold (to represent the legends of the past). As for a goal song, I would have a crowd chant recording of my favorite hockey song ever," Nananaaaana Nananaaaana hey hey hey good bye..."

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]