Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea

For a SHL expansion team I would turn my eye towards Europe. There's a lot of European players on this site and everything is mostly focussed on North-America. A European team would make sense to also appeal more to Europeans. If we look at Europe there a few nations that have a very decent hockey league and also compete very well internationally. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Finland and last but not least Russia. Even the KHL has expanded towards Asian countries, so why not have a European country in the SHL? I actually thought really hard about writing an application for this particular expansion, but due to lack of time to write a proper pitch/plan I did not. I would have pitched a European team 100%.

I have a few ideas in mind and here's some of them:
  • Paris Musketiers
  • Rome Gladiators
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Amsterdam Smokers
  • Munich Hefe Weizens
  • Dublin Leprechauns
  • Edingburgh Single Malts
  • Vienna Sachertorten

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 10:03 AM by charlieconway.)

Quote:Written task (150 words min.): If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, what would your new team be? Where would you place it? What's the team name? Why there? Why that name? Describe your branding, goal song, colors, etc.

[Image: F8aj9FU.jpg]

I was initially planning to submit an application for expansion GM. Looking at who got the job and who didn't, I'm glad, in retrospect, that I didn't bother.

My plan was to go with Montreal as the location (surprise surprise) and Voyageurs as the team name.
The voyageurs were fur traders from 18th and 19th century. Mainly French Canadians, they traversed wild routes along the St. Lawrence River and Hudson Bay. Sort of folklore figures in Canada, though I'm not sure how widespread that knowledge is.

For the colors, I was looking for some that were reminiscent of the Canadiens' red, white and blue, but not a direct copy. I noticed that Burgundy/Claret isn't a color used yet in the SHL, and I've always been partial to the melding of burgundy/wine and a less saturated blue ever since I laid eyes on the Venetian Wine outfit dye setup in Assassin's Creed 2.

The logo would have been: a version or variation of this for the primary, and then a thin, serif V and M for the secondary logo. The above image is a mockup of the colors and MV idea.

I still like the colors and the idea of the team, but it was telling how relieved I was when I decided not to submit an application, despite wanting to bring an SHL team to Montreal since the day I joined the site. ■

[233 words]

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: SAwful.gif]

[Image: 4NkSjIm.png]  ||  [Image: 7bttGDC.png]

Armada  ||  Uk  ||  Wolfpack

Being a Devils fan I can’t think of any better place to expand to than New Jersey. Forget Newark though, this team is playing in Hoboken. I would still use the state name though and the team would be the Freedom… the New Jersey Freedom.

I love the Devils and Rangers rivalry so why not bring that to the SHL? Placing the team in Hoboken brings them even closer to Manhattan where the two teams will quickly come to hate each other. Hoboken has much less crime than certain areas of NJ and has become a bit of a party town where money flows like water. I chose the name Freedom because of the state motto, Liberty and Prosperity (Freedom being a synonym of liberty). The jerseys would be mostly blue with some red and white, with an image of the Statue of Liberty with eagle wings spread out behind her. Certainly sounds like a Rangers jersey scheme, but it would be way cooler. The goal song would be Song 2, but covered by New Jersey’s own, My Chemical Romance.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Renegades  Citadelles Citadelles Renegades  Stars Blizzard Canada 
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 11:37 AM by Count Chocula.)

[Image: XZ36ziH.png]

[Image: cZ5wS4F.png]

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

I think there’s a ton of good options for an expansion team but I think the tri-state area could use a few more teams to be honest. Total bias as I’m from New Jersey and a Devils fan. I think you could place the team in NJ or even another team near NYC like Long Island, similar to the Islanders. Not to mention Philly would even be a great choice. This would be awesome because no matter where you decide to put the team out of the multitude of options, there will be an instant rivalry with Manhattan and it’ll create some great excitement for the league. Nothing is better than a heated rivalry especially when your heated rival plays super close to you. The arena is filled with different chants for each team because the distance is so minimal. I don’t think we could go wrong with another tri-state team expansion.

[Image: xvPjYUR.png]
syndicate Outlaws Switzerland

This PT was fuck'n made for me.

The obvious choice for an expansion team is the PHOENIX SCREAMIN' CACTI. A team that has been near and dear to my heart for the last 5 years, that I've always memed about bringing to the SHL but never applied for expansion for. It's got the best fuck'n branding, a cactus with a fuckin hockey stick and a fuckin helmet, which is dope. I've always thought that Arizona/Phoenix is a great hockey market, and I wish someone in the SHL would take the chance to bring it there. Maybe next expansion I will have to apply for an expansion GM job so I can finally bring the fuckin' cacti some hardware like they deserve.

Once they were a team in the PHL, a league ran by Wasty way back in the day, and I had to leave due to life being too busy but I will always miss the prospect of a Phoenix team within the SHL.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Knowing that my home state of Vermont will never get a professional team for the rest of the existence of north american professional sports, it would've been cool to at least think of a branding idea for a fake hockey league. I'm not creative enough for good branding ideas, but the name would probably be focused around either lake champlain, the green mountains, a winter theme, or cows, and the color scheme would be some sort of combination of green, white, and blue. The concessions would only sell Ben and Jerry's, maple syrup, and cheese, and the goal song would've been something by phish. But knowing that we already have a new england and now maine team, and also that vermont would be a very boring choice for most people, I think I would've tried to come up with either a Philly or New Jersey team to strengthen the Atlantic division and form a new rivalry with manhattan, or one of the nation's capitals of Ottawa/DC. For the west, location is an easy choice, and I would bring the Maui Tiger Sharks to the league. Travel would be annoying to figure out, but I think Hawaii would attract a decent amount of free agents.

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

http://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/i...ntry211208

[Image: giphy.gif]

I've always thought the Vegas Flamingos would be a fun team to make, you can go with some crazy bright colors and make it all flashy. Now that there's a Juniors team there I'm not sure it works as well. So I'm not entirely sure what my #1 option would be. I like the idea of a Montreal team, or a Pittsburgh team in the east, for the west maybe Portland, though it would feel odd to being Portland back and not be the admirals. That branding was really nice, I always liked it. So I suppose my west picks would be Vegas Flamingos and Portland Admirals, then in the east maybe Pittsburgh Patriots, I don't really have an idea for Montreal, you could bring back the Militia, though I think something different would be nice. I'd have to do more research on that one. My number one would be Vegas Flamingos though.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 12:49 PM by Blastmeaway.)

Silesia Black Eagles
[Image: 27858805_1584933478239121_126510982888890130_n.png]

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

If I would ever have an expansion team ( HO would need to be REALLY dumb to let me have one to be honest), it would 99% be in Montreal. I feel like Montreal deserves to get a team back since they moved the Militia to Carolina. Hockey is one of the characteristic of that city. It's a massive cultural aspect of the region. For me, the first city that comes to mind when i think of hockey is Montreal, not Tampa Bay or West Kendall. Anyways, my branding would probably be the Montreal Metros. Nokazoa made a logo and jerseys for that branding, and I thought it looked amazing. The colors are orange and either a dark blue or purple. It's not a color scheme used by any other teams in the SHL, and it would bring a little bit of diversity. If I had to make a team in the West, I would maybe go with something like Portland or Seattle, simply because there's not really any teams in the northwest of the USA. Or we could force Vancouver to move so that an SHL team can be made there. I don't have a clue what the branding would be though.

202 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

If I were an expansion team GM, the concept for my team would actually be a concept I've used before in a past expansion process. The team I wanted to use was the Ottawa Lumberjacks. The logo that I had originally used in the pitch was not the final concept but a very rough piece. It was essentially the zig zag logo, the bearded man smoking a cigarette, but was recoloured to fit the lumberjack style. In terms of why I wanted to use that name in conjunction with Ottawa is that Ottawa does have a history in logging. Our CFL football team is the Redblacks and their mascot is a lumberjack so it kind of goes hand in hand with the current city branding. In terms of jerseys and colour schemes, the team was going to be a red and black team with some striping going on. I'd imagine the home jersey would be black and red while the third jersey would have red being more dominate.

Code:
168 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Alright so my backup expansion idea was based off of JSS's Montreal Olympiens concept he posted awhile back. It would have been a blue/orange team, but I would have likely reworked his logo to be Zeus throwing a lightning bolt with the blade of a hockey stick at the opposite end. My secondary logo would have been a trident, which is not only symbolic of one of the other Greek gods (Poseidon), but also is a metaphorical reference for the three branches of the St. Lawrence river that create the island of Montreal. The concept of branding the team based on the pantheon of Greek gods obvioulsy projected a very powerful image, but I also liked the way the gods themselves represented the way a team functions. Every god has a certain set of things in the world they preside over and focus on, and it's much the same with a hockey team where each player has a role and place on the team and you can only keep things running when everyone is completing their part.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

So as someone who applied for expansion I will just use some of my initial ideas. I had 2 ideas, one for the east and one for the west, to hopefully give me a better shot at one of them being good enough to be picked. The east I 100% wanted the team in Atlanta. I was leaning toward Archangels for the branding but also gave backup options as I wanted something in that warrior like style. I also gave options for Argonauts (funny considering the new Seattle team) and Legionaries both of which were nice for the style I wanted. The color scheme I wanted was kind of an homage to the Thrashers while also being unique. I had the Thrasher blue but the main color was UCLA gold and the accents were white and silver. The second team out west was based in Salt Lake City but was called the Utah Sidewinders because using Salt Lake in front was just a mouth full. I wanted a bad ass snake logo with the colors being like the Calgary Flame's throwback colors with the deep yellow and bright red with black and white to accent them and make them pop. Lots more ideas but don't want a 400 words PT so this is the TLDR.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]