Create Account

S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me Due: October 9th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

PBE Affiliate Link

PBE PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Sven ignores the whistle, takes the puck from center ice over the blue line and laces a clapper top corner. The goalie was facing away with his helmet up, taking a sip of water when Sven blasted one past him. Naturally the opposing team was furious and mayhem ensued. The opposing defensemen that didn’t fall down was chasing Sven down the ice and tried to give him a mean hack with his stick, but Sven parried the attack with his own stick like a master swordsman. The two then dropped the gloves and Sven knocked him out with one swift uppercut. At this point, a scrum was slowly making its way down the ice with players tying each other up and the benches cleared. The goalie came out of his crease to attack Sven, but Sven simply skated away from him while taunting him. The ref skated up to Sven, furious and even he started swinging – catching Sven off guard. Right when the ref connected, Sven woke up from a weird dream.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

PBE Affiliation

"While I do respect the authority you have on the ice and how hard it is to do your job consistently and that mistakes are bound to happen, this is, sir, with all due respect, by far, the worst call I have ever seen in my life. There is no way in hell I tripped this man, anyone could have seen that. The fact that we are professionnal hockey players does not mean that we cannot sometimes fall on our own, without the use of any external force. This late in the game, have you considered that it is possible that the ice is simply in a suboptimal condition, leading to hazardous terrain for making such fast movements on skate? Please ponder this while I reluctantly accept my fate, which I know cannot be changed by arguing with you now as you must maintain your decision, and try to make better use of your whistle in the future so you don't repeat such unfortunate mistakes."

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Friedensreich Hundertwasser was growing excited. He was through on goal with only the goalie to beat. The dumbass on the Chicago Syndicate had tripped over his own skates and crumpled on the deck.
The whistle blew and the referee called out Hundertwasser for tripping sending him off the ice. Hundertwasser is a calculating cool headed player. He slated off without a protest but was internally seething.
He sat there brooding for the full penalty then cleared his head before jumping back onto the ice. That wasn't the end of it though. He will have his revenge.
Hundertwasser learned everything he could about the referee, where he is from, his likes, his dislikes and then proceeded to create a profile for this refs ideal partner on Facebook.
He slid into the referees DMs with this profile, a woman who loved nothing more than collecting hockey cards & had an affinity towards SHL referees.
He set up a date at a movie theatre which he'd rented out. He told the ref to meet him in screen 2. When the referee walked in the screen was replaying the player tripping over his own feet from multiple angles. Followed by an advert for a glasses company

[Image: Hockeymans.gif]
[Image: E8Qr7c5.gif]
Sigs by: Rum Ham, Orbiting Death x2, Enigmatic & Kyamprac

Player prompt, graphic task:

[Image: 8LRsx5H.png]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

Player Task:

Paul Binder is not very good at keeping his cool, so the dialogue would have gone something like this:

/whistle blows. Binder thinks there was a penalty behind the play and lets out a frustrated sigh. He turns around and sees the ref pointing right at him. A confused and bewildered look appears on his face as he throws his hands up in a confused motion.
Binder: ......WHAT????
Ref: 2 minutes for tripping!
Binder: ....../visibly confused looking around, the crowd absolutely raining boos down and "ref you suck" chants. Nah man come on this has got to be a joke!
Ref: /keeps pointing to Binder and then the box
Binder: Come on man I'm not going in there you've gotta be fucking joking me.
Ref: Clear as day, you tripped him!
Binder: Dude come the FUCK on I was like 10 feet away from him when he fell! Bro this is a joke man, joke of a call dude.

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

When faced with the decision of whether or not to fight the ref or fly to the penalty box, Melvin is going to pick the fight response every time. In a past life, he was known as a murder-moose, and therefore, he finds it absolutely absurd that the ref would ever think to call him on such a penalty. Especially when he has four legs and it is very hard to ice skate on hooves. Have you ever even tried? Melvin would pin the ref against the boards with his antlers, finding the gaps in between the pointiest bits and would essentially work to intimidate the ref into submission. While the coaches and managers for the team would try to pull him back and restrain the large quadruped, it would be the dulcet squawks coming from a friendly penguin that would finally bring Melvin down from the high he is facing. Only then, would Melvin back from the ref and slide himself into the penalty box. Shaking slightly, the ref would need to decide whether to call another penalty for Melvin's behavior.

[Image: 66168_s.gif]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Player Prompt

Dusty Rhodes is a bit of a hothead. Like a huge bit. And he seldom gets opportunities to showcase his offensive skills. So he's pissed. Like real pissed. So he gets in the face of the referee and starts going at him. Everyone knows Rhodes is a physical player so the basis of his argument is why the hell would he trip someone. He's more likely to cross check or just beat the crap out of the guy. But tripping? Come on that's some weak ass pussy shit and a weak ass call. He then proceeds to tell the ref about his lack of hockey skills which is why he's a referee and not a player and speculates that tripping is the kind of pussy shit a wannabe player turned ref would pull. The ref is getting seriously pissed about now and is almost on the verge of handing out a game misconduct. Rhodes just looks at him, shakes his head and skates away.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

It's funny because I remember when video reviews started becoming a more prevalent occurrence in hockey and I was fully on board with it. I mean why should we not strive for maximum accuracy? Then I encountered a very lengthy review in a game I attended, and then I understood the opposition some people had to it. It really just sucked the energy out of the game, and it got to a point where I didn't really care too much about the outcome of the call anymore and just wanted the game to continue.

I won't claim to have the solution to avoiding these long reviews or anything, because of course accuracy still matters, but I do think something should be done to avoid them. It would be great if they could use some sort of goal line technology to make reviews more automated, or maybe they could put a time limit on reviews before they just revert to the call on the ice. Either way, I do think we could stand to shorten reviews, at the very least.

179 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

Written Task: Are you going to fight with the ref? Or do you resign yourself to taking an undeserved penalty? Write some dialogue! Are you hot-headed or respectful? Is your player a veteran that has a long relationship with some of the leagues refs? Are they a young player that's not afraid to tell it like it is? IF YOU'RE A GOALIE: same question but different scenario: how do you talk to the ref about players hacking at you after the whistle? (150+ words)

This has actually happened to me twice in real hockey. The first time, it was a tryout game for a traveling rep team. The other player had the puck and was about 10 feet away from me with the puck on his stick. He tried to make a crossover turn and just totally wiped out. I grabbed the puck and broke out the other way when the whistle blows. The ref is calling a penalty so I am looking around to see who got called. And the ref points at me and says 2 minutes for tripping. I laughed and was like, you are kidding, he fell on his own, I didn't even touch him! But the ref said no you tripped him, 2 minutes. I am like this is ridiculous, but the ref says no way and I sit in the box. Obviously I am feeling a little miffed because I didn't do anything but the ref was convinced and I didn't want to get another penalty so I shut my mouth and just shook my head and served my 2 minutes. Later on in the game the ref skated by and says so yeah uhh the other player told me you never tripped him and I just laughed. The second time it happened was a little bit different. But it was such an egregiously bad call. So I get hit in the head by the other guys stick. The whistle blows and the ref is calling a penalty, damn right, that was a high stick should be called. But the ref points at me and says, 2 minutes for illegal equipment. Because the guy who high sticked me knocked one of the straps undone on the side of my helmet. SO I get a penalty because my strap is undone because the guy hit me with his stick. I was outraged and was actually screaming and cursing at the ref, it was a horrible call. SO I got an extra 10 minute misconduct.
If Grogu got called for a penalty he didn't do I think he would force choke the ref for sure.

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

I think that while it of course depends on the level of play, if the prestige of the league allows and even demands it then the more sensors and stuff they can pin on the players and gear to pinpoint these pretty clear cut infractions like offsides and also stuff like goal reviews, then it should be done, no question. As for the way it sometimes still takes so long to get an actual verdict from the referees watching the video replays, i think that as time goes on and they get more and more detailed feedback from the sensors and don’t have to rely so much purely on what it seen on the video replays, then it will start to go faster and the high level games will be better off for it for sure. Of course the old-school refereeing will still play a big part in lower level competitions as we can’t expect every league to be able to afford such sophisticated systems.

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

Currently, I think that video reviews in hockey are super inconsistent, and that is part of what makes them so frustrating when some of these calls go unnoticed. For example, I think the Avalanche had a game last season in the playoffs where one of their guys was offside on a goal, that was later reviewed after the other team asked the referees to take a look at it. It turned out that the Avalanche player was offside by an inch, but otherwise it was a good goal. I think that doing it for goals like this is kind of lame, I don't think you should be able to review a goal after the call on the ice when it comes to offsides. When it comes to goaltender interference, I just want to see some semblance of consistency in the calls. It seems like nobody knows what the rules for goaltender interference are, because they're called sometimes, and sometimes not called. Makes it frustrating to be a hockey fan when you don't know the rules because it seems like the referees don't know the rules.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

PBE Affiliate