Create Account

S69 PT #5: Everyone's a Critic February 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Hockey Prompt

I think that social media presence is a lever that the league HAS to be better at pulling in an effort to bring the younger generations in to hockey. As much as I might not be a personal fan of it, nor utilize it, there's no debating it's grip over the youth. Without consistent exposure at a cultural level, there could be real trouble for hockey as time goes on. This, coupled with hockey's general inaccessibility (ex: the cost of entry into the sport as a young athlete, the commitment needed from a family in order to play competitively, the media deals being made by the NHL with RSN's and blackouts, etc) , could lead to it truly becoming a second (third?) tier sport in terms of popularity and support. With that said, engagement in more popular culture and social media exposure is just one of the things the league should really utilize to make sure the things I mentioned don't become a reality.

[Image: downer.gif]

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]

PBE Affiliate

PBE Affiliate

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

Code:
Written Task

After a bad game, Patricija tends to let her emotions get the best of her- especially online. Growing up in the social media era, it's common for her to check her statistics after every game played and peruse over the comments made online. Normally, this isn't such a big deal, as even in a below average performance she carries a high confidence level that lets her brush off common trolls. However, after something like a 7-1 loss, it's likely there would be so much feedback online that she would feel as if she had no choice but to respond to the criticism, especially levied at her teammates. Even more so than her own reputation, she hates to see people online say bad things about her teammates. More than once has she been reprimanded by team staff for using less than polite terms with fans online. Generally, a poor performance does encourage her to step her game up in the next contest, however, getting the words out online after a tough loss is one of the quickest ways she can think of to bounce back while under pressure.

187 words

Lemo is usually the first to admit when he's been playing below par and doesn't shy away from criticism when it's warranted. But he also tries not to let other people's opinions get under his skin too much. He is first and foremost his own biggest critic and only takes advice from those he trusts to know better, like his coaches for instance. He realizes that delving too deep into everything that is published on social media can have a detrimental effect on your mental health and make you question yourself and others way more than necessary and that can lead to needless locker room rifts based on outside effects and that is something he tries to avoid himself and also tries to sometimes warn his teammates about. To focus on the team and their shared goals instead of looking for approval from outside elements that can sometimes be based on completely other, and non-pertinent aspects.

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

After losing in a blowout game I am not that bothered about what journalists or social media says. It is what my team and coaches say what is important. We have to deal with this internally and fix any problems we have that way too. Maybe we had a rough schedule and it was an end of a back to back game or we had a couple injuries who knows. If we were full strength and lost like that we need to make some line changes or same motivational wake up calls and some extra training drills. Nothing what the media says should have any influence on that. I personally have nothing with social media so I am not even able to read any of it. Ofcourse the opinion of our fans matter, but they also know we are giving it all every day and we will deliver next game. As we should do.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Hockey Prompt:

I am not super active on social media, but when I do hop on there, hockey’s presence is super lackluster. We all know what hockey interviews are like. The get the pucks in deep type answers sort of carry over to social media. Outside of a handful of players there is not much personality at all. I do not think this is the fault of the players. Guys like Brad Marchand are hilarious on social media and having players roast fans should be the norm. The problem, in my opinion, in the NHL itself. They play it safe in absolutely every facet of the game. They already know that they are the least popular of the big sports (in the states) and do not want to rock the boat and risk even more fans leaving. To solve this, the league just needs to let players be themselves. Hockey players are weird, goalies especially. Let the players be the weird little guys they are and they will get memed to hell like Bryz did forever ago. Once you get some Manning face mask level of memes out there people will be talking about the sport and the game grows.

(198)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Sometimes the on ice results don’t match the level of effort that we put in as players. Even with all of our trying, the puck can just take bad bounces and put you in a place where you are down four or five goals in quick succession. And while it’s fairly easy as a team to collect ourselves and move on to the next game when something like that happens, its not always the way the media wants to handle a bad game. However, I’m not really one to spend time worrying about what is said in the media. Good or bad, I’m much more concerned with how my teammates are feeling about our effort and level of intensity. During the season, i don’t spend time on twitter or reading hockey articles. Instead, I focus on trying to be the best player I can and let the outside world and journalists write what they are going to write. There’s not much else I can do that is productive.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

ISFL PT

Alex takes pride in his ability to maintain his composure during difficult situations both on and off ice. He would accept the responsibility of his poor individual play in addition to the overall team play. In my mind, the reporter isnt on the team or in the locker room so his opinion means nothing to him. Let the people blow hot air all they want as the only opinions he cares about are his teammates and coaches. Fronting the blunt of the criticism will roll off his back like a duck in water so he doesnt mind facing off with angry reporters. The absolute last thing he checks is his twitter account to see the fair weather fans blasting him or his team. The vast majority of the criticism from these type of people is uneducated and asinine so Alex views these bits of criticism with zero concern. Quebec City takes those dumb remarks from so called important reporters sometimes gets posted in the locker room which only provides additional motivation!

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

We’ve all been there in hockey, when a night just isn’t yours and the puck seems to have a microchip that directs it in the back of your net and there isn’t much you can do about it. You just have to take it in, learn what you can and move onto the next game.

Journalists, on the other hand, seem to want to make a big deal out of the one single game. ‘’What about the time we plastered them 6-0’’? That does not count apparently, and even if you’re on top, one game is a sign of things to come apparently. That’s a load of crap if you ask Martin, and he’s not been shied to say it during the post-match press conference. Journalists, especially the crappy ones, need to keep in check. So do the twitter bozos who call for trades or criticize you for everything you do. That said, the best way to get back at them is to have all this negative attention roll off your back, get back on the saddle and get some more dubs.

(182 words)

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

isfl Affiliate +

Quote:
Citadelles

I feel hockey's social media culture can be described as lively and engaged, with a strong emphasis on community and fandom. Fans, players, coaches, and media personalities all participate in online conversations, sharing opinions, news, and memes. Hockey's social media culture is also known for its humor and wit. Memes and jokes related to the sport tend to be shared and celebrated the most, and players are known to engage in playful banter with each other and with fans. Brad Marchand is a perfect example of this. When he was at the All star game he was having a lot of fun on twitter roasting Toronto broadcaster Steve Dangle. The tweets went viral and not only did brad Marchand following increase, but so did Steve! It's not just roasting that gets views and attention, but also one liners. Look at Mr. Tortorella, the Philadelphia Flyers most popular player on that team doesn't even play ice hockey! The coach is the most popular guy on that team!

Fans love seeing that the players and coaches are just regular people, rather than the "get pucks deep" comments, we always love to see personality to feel more engaged.

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Melvin has a tarried history with the media already. He has definitely been in the forefront of some negative attention, and he would like to make sure that it is not repeated. While previously hotheaded, Melvin has learned that he has to tone things down or else he continues to get the ire from everyone. Looking at what Melvin can do, he typically tries to keep that level head and focus on any positives that are coming through, as opposed to the negative attention. He often finds himself confiding in Adelie de Pengu as one of his most trusted friends, and has worked over the years to find a therapist whom he trusts and can confide in as well. While not many know that the moose seeks the help of a healthcare professional often for the welfare of his brain, Melvin is feeling more assured and more importantly, how important it is for everyone to know that he too struggles and needs help

[Image: 66168_s.gif]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 11:30 AM by Benpachi. Edited 1 time in total.)

Player Prompt:

Whenever a game goes south for the Montreal Patriotes, Roderic Banes tends to take it pretty personally, and usually quite badly. He's a passionate player, and feels things very strongly. So whenever the team has a rough loss, he always steps up to answer to the fans and media, then goes into his usual post-loss ritual.

After any particularly bad loss, Roddy will go home, eat five to eleven hot dogs, put on a Studio Ghibli movie and drink tea until he believes in love and happiness again. Then he'll hit the hay early, get some quality snooze time, and be back at the gym in the morning to get back at it. Losing sucks, and it's his least-favourite part of the business, but it happens. After any loss, there's always the opportunity to bounce back, and turn a negative into a positive. On to the next game, full of hot dogs and renewed optimism!

[Image: banes.png]