Create Account

S73 Championship Week

SMJHL GM PASS

[Image: gLIi4AC.png]
[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 06:16 PM by The__Y-man__100.)

(3tpe) Trivia: yeet

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 10:24 PM by oknom. Edited 3 times in total.)

CW Trivia: Dunk
+3 TPE

Grab Bag
+4 TPE

A.) I guess I am most impressed by the Edmonton Blizzard, but both teams are obviously in a great spot. The Edmonton forwards are playing at another level so much so that its elevating the play of the Edmonton D and goaltending to be top tier as well. If you had any of the top line in fantasy this year, congrats on your extra TPE!
WC: 64

B.) I’d definitely want to be the veteran team over the team trying to prove it for the first time. It doesn’t seem to happen so much in SHL, but how many NHL Stanley Cup runner-ups have had their story ruined in the finals? Nashville, San Jose, Montreal, and even Dallas all lost in the finals to another team who had been there before. 
WC: 63

C.) I’d also give the edge to most impressive path to the cup to Edmonton. Winnipeg was the team to get over the hump last year, but they had taken Edmonton out historically to reach the finals several times. Not only that, they reloaded with some huge pieces last offseason to go for the repeat.
WC: 54

D.) My pick is the Edmonton Blizzard to win, and definitely not because the finals are already over. I think the offense and top two lines push Edmonton just a bit over Philly in a close one. The East is certainly going to be tough next year, so I don’t know if Philly will be back. But I expect to see Edmonton and Winnipeg to both be pushing for another trip to the finals.
WC: 73

IIHF Teammates is Teammates
+3 TPE
For the S73 WJC, looks like team Rhine is up to three Falcons this year. Oddly enough, poor old Mephistopheles Morgonstjärna got left off the roster last year. Now, Morgonstjärna joins Dunkler Sowerwine and Prince Marius on team Rhine to represent Detroit with pride. The Falcon D-men will probably still be sitting on the 3rd line, because team Rhine is absolutely stacked with 425 TPE D-men. Marius will probably slot in on the 2nd line, as Rhine is somewhat light on forwards. Team Rhine’s silver medal squad graduated quite a bit of talent from its first line. Marius and Sowerwine will have some chemistry from playing on Detroit’s first line together, however Morgonstjärna should also see some chemistry with Marius due to spending time on the first powerplay unit together. If I were giving advice to these Sophomore Falcons on how to best fit in on the new team Rhine, I would tell them to listen to the veterans. Like I mentioned earlier, team Rhine is sporting a refreshed group of defensemen at the 425 level. Morgonstjärna and Sowerwine are the only non-425 defensemen making the roster. So just listen to the vets and things will go fine.
WC: 198

3+3+4 TPE = 10 total (claim 8)

[Image: 88pk1Hz.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 07:49 PM by Thunfish. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW Trivia (3 TPE)
Portimonense

10. IIHF Analysis (3 TPE)
It's funny you mention that because I don't play for any national team. Well, I suppose you could count the youth's World team since I am a part of that (having been reminded about that via seven or so notifications about it) but that's a momentary thing. I'm not entirely sure how things will be from there on since I haven't put much thought into who I'd represent internationally yet.

Genuinely speaking, I've thought about playing for Switzerland since I promised to do that at some point a while back. Truth be told, I don't know about other places at all either - Finland was perfectly fine the one time I played with them for some youth thing and I imagine other places aren't particularly bad. France might be fun too, right?

11. Teammates is Teammates (3 TPE)
That is something I actually did not think about, funnily enough. I doubt I'm that set up with anyone to take some sort of partnership to the next level or anything. I guess I will see about that whenever I cross that road but I totally would be fine regarding the idea of working with teammates internationally. Alas, nobody said anything about whether I wanted to go play with them or anything so... yeah.

I think chemistry could carry over between SHL and international play on itself since you're kinda used to the people at any rate but there's a different feel to it that you can't really ignore whenever you are playing on the latter. I mean sure, you could say it's basically the same thing but it feels oddly special. It's probably why international play is even still a thing, the novelty and the feel.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

1. TRIVIA: Verification word: stick

2.b. Since I have never won the big cup (I did win the J one), I see myself more on the youngster side of things. That firs t time energy, that extra excitement, the nerves. Hopefully they have some veteran presence in there to help calm them, but that is where I would want to be. Nothing like your first time. 60 words

2.d. Edmonton Wins. I don't think it will be easy, but they have that youthful exuberance that I think will pull them through. Justin Time has been playing at a MVP caliber all season, and has kept it up through the playoffs and I believe that he could be the difference in the series. 54 words

4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)

The Blizzard did what every team building is trying to do. At least they should be trying it. You get two or three great, top earning players from around three consecutive drafts, they all stay active and hold each other accountable for multiple seasons, they build chemistry over their weaker seasons while all getting stronger together, and then they all peak in the same window and you have your chance at the cup for many seasons as a group. Once you already have a strong main crew that worked up together, attracting the secondary parts to your team through free agency gets much easier. Everybody wants to win, so why wouldn't they pick a super strong team where they have less pressure as they aren't the main guys? Seems easy enough until you realize you need draft or trade for a couple top earners for a few seasons in a row as this is much easier said than done. 161 words

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]

Code:
CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each
correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below.
Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit.
Post your verification word in your CW post.
Ivy

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup
related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer
must be 50+ words.

a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the
return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists,
and tell me what about them impresses you the most!

b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are
sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be
- the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry
youngsters taking their first shot at glory?

c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here,
while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well.
Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup
final, and why?

d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?
a. I am so impressed by Edmonton's goal differential this season. Leading the league in itself is impressive, but to have a +207 goal differential for an entire season is insanely good. Obviously, this shows that Edmonton has an incredible ability to not only score, but also keep the puck out of their own net. It really is no wonder that this team is in the finals with a goal differential like this. (72 words)

c. While both teams path to success was impressive, I would have to give the edge to Edmonton and their path. We have all seen just how dominant Winnipeg has been year after year in the SHL, to the point where many just expect that they will once again be in the finals. So, for Edmonton to take down their powerhouse rival to punch their ticket has to be an incredible feeling, and that is why I am giving the edge to them. (82 words)

Code:
Code:

5. Written, 3 TPE, No Time for Caution (150 words min)

Pick the finalist you think is going to win, and describe what that team
needs to do to overcome their opponent and take home the cup. The Forge
had the stronger offense in the playoffs, while the Blizzard had the
stronger defense. Will those trends hold? Will Justin Time carry
Edmtonton to victory?
I am going with the Edmonton Blizzard to win the championship this season. This is the definition of an all-around team. As their incredible goal differential from the season shows, this is a team that can score at will, while also stonewalling opposing offenses. What I really like about this team is their depth scoring ability. While so often we see maybe one player on an SHL team having 100+ points, the Edmonton Blizzard had three players this season with 110+ points. Even their fourth, fifth, and sixth scorers would be top scorers on many teams! I think in the playoffs, and particularly the finals, it is extremely important for a championship team to have three lines that can all score, and Edmonton certainly has that. Aside from the offense, Edmonton has a good defensive unit and their blue line should remain strong throughout the finals. And last, but certainly not least, is the incredible play of their goaltender Justin Time. Time has had an amazing season and playoffs, and I anticipate that will remain the case in the finals. (180 words)

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

CW Pass

[Image: Svatos2.png?ex=660626ee&is=65f3b1ee&hm=4...height=350] [Image: sig.png?ex=660330ca&is=65f0bbca&hm=574bd...9bdc77fda&]

CW Trivia verifcation: Stone

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

SHL/SMJHL Finals

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Dex

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. For me, the Philadelphia Forge being able to maintain this competitiveness 4 seasons after what one would call their peak is particularly impressive. They were able to keep the key players on their team and the are clearly very active and excited to be playing for Philly. As easy as it sounds, this isn't an easy feat and a sign of a great organization. (64 words)
b. You definitely want to be the younger core in this case. Despite the veteran status and experience, the Blizzard are ultimately the better team on paper and they have the players to back it up. No amount of experience can top shear ability to play and I think this shows in their regular season where the blizzard were the best +/- team in the league. (64 words)
c. I would say the Forge have had the more surprising run to the final as we always expect the top team in the regular season (president trophy curse aside) to make it to the final because at the end of the day, in the course of a 66 game season, they showed that they were the top team and people should be expecting them to make it. (67 words)
d. Hands down, no argument, I would put my money on the Edmonton Blizzard. I am a stats guy and the stats say they had the best +/- team in the league, the second and third best scorer in the league, and the better goaltender. Unless they completely mess up some tactics, the cup is the Blizzard's to lose. (57 words)

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

I honestly believe that the Patriotes tore it down way too early and way too quickly. I am not too sure what their locker room is like, but I have sat through a few rebuilds and I can certainly say that when you throw all of your key players out in one offseason, your locker room dies a little and it's hard to come back. I understand that the best returns would be now, but I don't think that's how it should have been gone about so in terms of what the Winnipeg Aurora and New England Wolfpack can learn, they should think about who their key players are, who to keep, and who to trade. At the end of the day, it's a business and you have to do what is best for your team not only in the short term, but in the long term as well. A quick rebuild looks enticing at first, but the execution should be a long term thing in my opinion. (168 words)

8/8 TPE

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

1. CW TRIVIA

Verification Word: Bonk

a. Seeing the Philadelphia Forge up top has been a treat. They’ve really played good team hockey all season I think. Didn’t have any guys reach the top of the league leaderboards stats wise, but they still managed to finish high up in the season standings and power their way through to the finals.

53 Words: 1 TPE

b. Definitely leaning towards the Philadelphia Forge on this one. They’ve been there before. They know what it takes. And I think that experience is going to be tough for the Blizzard’s youngsters to overcome.

However if they meet again in the finals, I can definitely see Edmonton taking it as their youngsters will be a little bit less young and the gap between them will be a little bit less.

70 Words: 1 TPE

c. Again, I’m going to have to say the Philadelphia Forge. The New England Wolfpack with leading scorer Ivan Lacksamus and elite goalie Olof Karsikko, were really strong this season. So to knock off the top team in the league en route to the finals is going to help swing momentum their way, I believe.

On the flip side, the Winnipeg Aurora were tough. But not as tough. I think Edmonton was still the favourite to win that series.

78 Words: 1 TPE

d. Well as I’m posting this just after the finals, I know the answer. But I’ll post who I initially thought would win. The Philadelphia Forge. I had thought their experience level would out play the dynamic offence of the Edmonton Blizzard. I had assumed they’d find a way to solve Justin Time and hold Edmonton’s offence off long enough to finish the job. Sadly, it was not the case.

69 Words: 1 TPE

4. I think it definitely starts by scouting well. If you have an active locker room who is willing to put in the effort and stick around, everything else is secondary. Whether it’s through the draft, free agency, or by trade, you have to put in the work to find people who are active and updating regularly. They also managed to have a very young team so everyone coming together at the same time definitely widens their window in comparison to some other teams with aging vets.

For other teams, definitely start by scouting rookies. Have conversations with them. Have conversations with their teammates. Have conversations with their GMs. Have conversations with their moms. But do whatever you have to do to find good, active players for your squad. If you can start there, you’ve got a good foundation to build off of. After that, you can start plugging the holes with anything else you might need.

156 Words: 3 TPE

[Image: JUSSI-MUTOU-SPOTLIGHT-450-X336.gif?ex=66...d3ba51b19&]
[Image: 29XRi31.png]
[Image: eL4cCu1.jpg]

GM Pass

Js gm cw pass

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
COOPER

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 01:21 AM by PapaSorin. Edited 3 times in total.)

1) Poopybunghole

6) [Image: photostudio-1699852742616.jpg]

8) [Image: photostudio-1699849984814.jpg]

[Image: photostudio-1720667986458.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023, 12:59 AM by Gordon Bombay. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. allo
3tpe
a)The Edmonton blizzard impress me the most. Shoyo was drafted by the team and they did not have that trajectory at all. I am impress that they managed to build a good team after a few season of struggle. It’s fun to see new team in the finals, it prove that the league is healthy
b) I would rather be the veteran team, because that is what the Atlanta inferno is right now. I am happy to see that team can have a long term success. I would like for us to beat Philly and return to the finals.  I hope that shoyo is able to win one last time before his retirement.

5tpe
8. [Image: Nouveau_projet.png?ex=6569665d&is=6556f1...d9077f4a2&]
8tpe

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest