Create Account

S77 PT #3: Humppaa Suomesta Due: Sunday, June 30th @ 11:59 PM PST

Written Option 1:

The beauty of the modern SHL is that players from all nations and peoples come together in the pursuit of frosty violence. So, assuming that Simo wants to pick a fight with somebody who doesn't speak English, Finnish or Swedish, the solution is obvious: outsource the instigation! The chances that he'll ever need to pick a fight against somebody who doesn't understand ANY language seems vanishingly slim, so the simplest way forward is just to go through a teammate and have them swiftly teach him the words for "I'm going to pound your face into hamburger meat you pansy". Or words to that effect. The exact details of the threat aren't important, just so long as the other player knows his future contains some tutelary dentistry at the hands of a Finn enraged by his team's failure to win more than a dozen games in a season. And by doing this, Simo feels it really brings the squad together - his teammates know that if a fight is needed, they can go to Simo for all their violent needs.

[Image: Skree.gif]
[Image: xSn0esi.png]

Written Option 1

Jaden gave in to the fan pressure and decided he needs to play a more aggressive, punishing game. He's set himself up as more of a finesse defenseman, but that is apparently not flash enough for the people who watch Calgary's games. It should go without saying that the most important thing in hockey is making sure the fans are happy and capitulating to their every whim.

So, attempting to rattle the star player in their next game, Jaden tries to lay some heavy hits ... only to bounce right off of the guy. As he tries to stop seeing stars, he wonders if he just ran into a brick wall. Seeing that this approach wasn't going to work, he starts chirping, only to find that the guy doesn't even understand what he's saying. Jaden would have to get creative.

During the first intermission, he goes to a local Kinko's and has signs made of the opponent's face on a giant poop emoji. As the clock winds down before the second period, he passes them out to fans in the front row to hold up throughout the game. There's no way he won't understand this!

[Image: ZIFmexT.png]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

trying to find time for that PT #shl

Stars Stars Stars

[Image: zFWWBfA.png]

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Written Option 2

The mix of cultures and backgrounds has easily been one of my favorite things about my time in the SHL. In our locker room in Texas, we have all walks of life in there and I have learned so much about them. As an American born and raised, the biggest culture aspect for me has been learning more from my many Canadian teammates. Being just south of Canada my whole life, I have of course always been familiar with Canada, but to hear more from those actually from there and has been eye opening. Everything from their culture, to their love of hockey, and even things like their politics has really made me gain some new perspective for my friends up north. It is always fun conversation in the locker room when we talk about American culture vs. Canadian culture; there are many similarities but certainly our differences as well! I think this has allowed us to bond as a team and play better on the ice.

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

There was much for Valerija Serapin to learn about other cultures in her hockey journey. Ok course playing in the heart of French Canada means being a part of a culture that is very different from  anything around. She has learned enough French to hold her own in conversation and often addresses the home crowd in French. Then there is what she from the bonds that mean the most to her, her teammates. From her Japanese teammates, she  picked up their food, including sushi and onigiri and other snacks. From the many Swedish friends, she picked up their pop music  and can be herd listening to such songs during a workout. The American and Canadian teammates have guided her through much of these city popular media. They have been just as interesting in her culture as she was in their own. They have made a hard adjustment period much easier.

Written Option 2:

Canada is a massive country. Hell bai, just getting off the rock feels like going to a different country. In a ways it is, there is a physical barrier of the fricken ocean in between yous, but also there's the language barrier. It's good to meet up because I always brings with me a case of live lobster ready for a cookup, and them bois out west always hooks us up with the barbeque and rhye.
It is interesting meeing them other nations folk. The proud folks down in the States have definitely rubbed off blind patriotism, and from them I learned how important they take being number 1. And if they can't beat you on the ice, they will try to beat you in the stands, or make fun of your manufacturing industry, or some other shenanigan like that. hay-lar-ious.
Them Euro folks also bring food, but honestly most of the time it's some kind of meat in bread. Not that I minds though, they are usually up for a good time, and each nation has their own vodka like drink, so they always bring enough.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Brayden Point took the advice of what must have been the SHL discord locker room (his teams would never suggest this unless it was an actual strategy) and now has a 20 in aggression and 20 in fighting. Brayden Point is lightning quick and would use his Detroit falcons calls on his team to distract the refs and do minor actions to tick off the all star in question subtle enough to be deemed an accident to the fans and hard enough to get under the skin of the all star. On top of taunting the player on all the goal scores by calling them out with the local curse words of the language (but not normal curse words but local taboo words like "you smell of elderberries" the forbidden curse words. Man am I glad this is a hypothetical as anyone who suggests this to my discord is not a friend of mine lol. Brayden Point would also be ok taking a penalty in this case as it would be worth it. Please keep in mind that he does not play this way and it is only for the purposes of answering this question for TPE  Wink

Falcons Hockey fan for life. I pack the heat and score the goals!   Barracuda

[Image: Point_Celly-13020730.gif] 

Hattricked:

Written Option 2: Each team in SHL has players from multiple nations and cultures. Even if the player gets to play in their home country they will be exposed to other cultures from their teammates and staff of the team. What your player has learned from their foreign team mates and or from culture of locals should they not be playing in their home country? Maybe they have been introduced to their new favorite foods or genres of music they weren’t familiar before? Or maybe they are now enjoying the football (either) with new enthusiasm as they have joined the bandwagon of their teammates? Or they finally got to understand why saunas are so great. Write how meeting people from other cultures has had positive impact on your player or to you as user who has had interactions with people around the world.

So many different cultures encompass the average SHL team, and the same applies to the Buffalo Stampede. Once IIHF season comes along everyone goes their own way, 4 going to Germany, 3 to both Latvia and the United States, 2 to Czechia, and finally 1 player goes to Finland, France, Great Britain, and Ireland. With 1 more player not having chosen an IIHF nation (yet). However this does not say anything, as multiple players are playing form a different nation than their nation of birth. Looking at nations of birth the biggest groups in Buffalo are both Germany and the United States both with 3 players each. For the rest there is no nation with multiple players, but a big European influence can be found with outside of the 3 Germans, there also being 1 Ukrainian, 1 Swiss, 1 Finnish, 1 Dutch, 1 Austrian, 1 Sweden, 1 British, and finally 1 Czech player on the Buffalo Stampede. Outside of Europe there is also some Asian influence with both Malaysia and Mongolia having 1 player on the Buffalo Stampede, and even a little bit of influence outside of the normal world, with 1 player coming from some completely different dimension. So let’s just say there is a nice mix of different cultures all coming together in the Buffalo Stampede squad.

[219 words]

[Image: FuriousChicken.gif]

pinli is very respectful of people and always wants to meet them where they're at! so yes pinli would hire a tutor well before the game to get enough cursory knowledge in the opposing player's language to be able to communicate the desire to fight. hockey fights may be old fashioned but if you're going to beat the breaks off a guy you might as well ask nicely, so that's what i do. i let them know that despite being 5 foot zero that this is my role on the team now, and if they'd kindly drop the gloves then i have a proper drubbing to give them! if they dont take the bait then i'd call them a coward and a snake right to their face! i believe at that point any reasonable SHL pro would have to fight me and defend their honour. afterwards (i win the fight easily) we'd shake hands and i'd thank them for their bravery. in the post game interview i talk about our kind exchange of words and competitive bout. all is well in the SHL and i have made a new friend.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=66a727b4&is=66a5d634&hm=ac...a86431c29&]

OPTION 2
Jaromir Jagrbomb lived a very disconnected life back home, as he was solely focusing on becoming a professional hockey player. This means that all of his exposure to American culture and English language came through followin hockey. So he was not aware of pretty much anything that happens in America outside of the hockey rink. As a European, he has faced a lot of culture shocks. The biggest thing for sure has been the American small talk culture. Jagrbomb does not understand why people ask him how he's doing but then are not at all interested to hear the answer. And when an acquaintance says "we should hang out / go for a beer sometime", they're very surprised when Jagrbomb then calls them the next week to suggest something to follow up with that plan. Why do people say things they don't mean? What do people ask when they then really want to know how the other person's doing? What do they ask if they really want to meet someone again? It would make everyone's lives easier to only say things when you really mean it.

[Image: sulov.gif]

1: This is a really simple process. First, I find the closest home fan to their opposing bench. I then quickly venmo them 250$ to taunt using google translate. Anything and everything goes. They also need to say everything in the accent of the opposing players nation. This is to really further piss him off. The fan will yell whatever he can to make him mad. He will also make it very well known that he was hired by me. This will make the player know who to come after. If this does not work. I will call my agent for some favors. My agent will hire someone in the country to kidnap his great aunt. We will then show him the pictures before the next period saying the ransom is to beat me in a fight. This is the only guaranteed way to get them to drop the mitts. If that does not work, I just sucker punch them anyway.

[Image: mattyj.png]

Written Option 2: Each team in SHL has players from multiple nations and cultures. Even if the player gets to play in their home country they will be exposed to other cultures from their teammates and staff of the team. What your player has learned from their foreign team mates and or from culture of locals should they not be playing in their home country? Maybe they have been introduced to their new favorite foods or genres of music they weren’t familiar before? Or maybe they are now enjoying the football (either) with new enthusiasm as they have joined the bandwagon of their teammates? Or they finally got to understand why saunas are so great. Write how meeting people from other cultures has had positive impact on your player or to you as user who has had interactions with people around the world.

Being as Alexandros Mograine is an isekai’d person from the world of Azeroth pretty much everyone is of different culture to him and everything is certainly a culture shock. Reborn in Canada he will have to use this as his reference for the culture changes between people but to be honest even amongst Canadians he sees new ways and habits from people from Quebec. Something in particular that has thrown him off with earths cultures is that people and animals play together in this SHL league. When he first played with his SHL team Chicago he was not prepared to have a moose, penguin and dog on the team most of all. Melvin Majestik-moose taught me how to hit the puck hard with their horns. Adelie du Pengu taught me how to shelter the puck and keep it warm in their feet and feathers. And finally Mat Smith the goodest boy taught me how to chase the puck and bring it back to our team. Thank you to these new cultures for teaching me to be a better hockey player.

-180 words

Written Option 2 (159 words):

First, Volta does not play in USA before the SMJHL. In fact, he’s Canadian. So, the first thing that he adapts is his fluidity in English and learn the American culture, since it’s different than Canada. With the American culture in place, Volta does now watch the NFL a lot since it’s American-based here. Also, he watched a lot of the MLS. Especially when Messi plays against the LA Galaxy. He even speaks a bit with Messi, which Volta is good at Spanish since it’s a bit like French. Then, Volta adapt his temperature to the Californian State. In fact, the Cold Canadian winter isn’t here in San Diego, California. So, all time tanning and make some new sports during summer, for example: baseball, American football, soccer and surfing. Overall, Volta really loves that cultural influence mix of American, Canadian and Mexican life, since California is close to West-Mexico (especially San Diego, one of the southeast cities in California).

[Image: VJEQ5Rl.png]

SHL PT

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]