Create Account

S77 Championship Week Due: Sunday, July 28th @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 09:20 PM by Grum.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification word: buo

+3 tpe

Code:
Written, 50 to 200+ words each. Short Prompts
2. Lasse Zeigler and Nathan Cormier each come into these finals tied for the most assists in these playoffs at 21. Who do you think will have more impact as a playmaker in this series?
3. Ivan Lacksamus is once again leading his team in points and has already tied Aaron Wilson’s record for career playoffs points at 242. While they are not the only one in New England to be producing points, do you think Texas should worry about Lacksamus who seems completely unaffected by their age?
4. Hodor and Seamus O'Slapahan have both been important parts of their teams offensive but they also have a noticeable lead in blocked shots in the playoffs. We know that one goal can change the game so each block is one puck on goal less to worry about, but can one person do it all or should the rest of their teams follow their example and start focusing more on blocking shots?
5. Olof Karsikko stands miles ahead of the league these playoffs in goals saved above average at 19.76 while Anthony Dionne is actually in the negatives at -0.90. Do you think Texas is at a major goalie disadvantage? Why or why not?
6. This time it is not one on one. Who will win in a fight between a group of renegades or pack of wolves? How does the fight go?
7. This time for J: Who you got? Who wins the Four Star Cup? Why?

3. Texas should 100% be worried about Ivan Lacksamus. Age is not really a factor when you have someone producing at that level and he is a very seasoned player when it comes to deep playoff runs. New England will no doubt be relying on him to be unaffected by the pressure and offer them very high level consistent play through the finals.

wc: 62 | + 1 tpe

4. I think the rest of the teams should just rely on O'Slapahan and Hodor to handle the shot blocking duties. Those two are some of the best at that job and it would be a bit detrimental to the overall offense of each team if they had other players too concerned with blocking shots. Its important to trust in your teammates to do their roles and you to do yours. That way everyone understands exactly what they need to be doing and having too many people looking to do the same thing can sometimes be bad, in this case too many people looking to block shots could result in more open players or teammates getting into each other's way

wc: 119 | + 2 tpe

Code:
11. Written, 50 to 200+ words. One Season Closer to Retirement

One season behind all of us. How did your player perform compared to your expectations? What do you expect from next season? Are you being hit by regression so hard that anything close to this season's performance would be a win in your books? Or maybe you are reaching your peak, in either of the leagues and hope to compete for some awards?

My player, Daniel Grumathan, had just an ok season for my expectations. He had weirdly an almost identical season to last in terms of just pure counting stats. 75 points, plus minus of 1, 34 shots blocked, and 145 hits. The reason I said this was just an ok season in terms of my expectations was that I was hoping my 75pt last season was a bit of a bump and I'd be able to bounce back to the 80's or even reach 90 points as I get closer to my peak. I had always intended this player to be a playmaker though and considering its the assist that has been fluctuating, I think the points overall are just a reflection of how good the buffalo stampede offense is compared to a few seasons back. Plus Buffalo had a really good season so nothing to really complain about. Next season i believe will be my "peak" season or just before it (I kind of forget how that works) so hopefully a small increase in numbers but I'm not peeved if we don't see that.

wc: 184 | + 3 tpe
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 09:36 PM by dogwoodmaple. Edited 2 times in total.)

ISFL PT +3

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
maple

Code:
One season behind all of us. How did your player perform compared to your expectations? What do you expect from next season? Are you being hit by regression so hard that anything close to this season's performance would be a win in your books? Or maybe you are reaching your peak, in either of the leagues and hope to compete for some awards?
I honestly exceeded expectations in a pretty significant way.  There's not a ton of gas left in the tank but I was able to get out there and really make an impact for us.  I have no illusions about how many more years I have, but one thing is for certain - I'm going to do everything I can to squeeze every last drop of ability out of this raggedly old body.  It seems like forever ago that I was a rookie and now I'm staring retirement directly in the face.  I know my awards days are behind me, but I came to terms with that a long time ago.  I'm just here to enjoy my last days as much as I can here in Edmonton and help us try and win some games.

2 TPE

8 TPE total

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

Code:

froggie

Code:

Aksel definitely isn't peaking, and his young gun days are far behind him, but he's also not anywhere close to being ready to hang up the skates. A lot of his friends from his draft class have let him know that they're retiring, planning to move onto the next phase of life and settle down or work in the front offices of the franchises that started as a contract and then became home, but Aksel's not quite there yet. He's sturdy and he can keep up with most of the opponents, so he's not dragging anyone down. When Lind announced his retirement, Aksel was shocked. He hadn't even noticed the Swede aging, shocked that someone who had been such a staple of the team was going to leave. But in his absence is room for a veteran presence on the team to keep the youth in line and provide some wisdom and stability to the locker room. Aksel is far from the best suited player for the job, but he'd like to give it a shot. As long as the team doesn't see him as an anchor, he'd like to stay and give them everything he's got. He's working within his limitations and hopes to give it his all next season and all the rest that follow.

Code:
12. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Old Reliable IIHF Analysis
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you and how much do you expect them to change this time?

Aksel is actually super excited to play out of position as defense for Norway this IIHF. He always has a blast with his countrymen and being able to switch it up it fun and exciting. He always hopes for gold, but is pleased however they do, and enjoys the break from the regular season and the chance to travel somewhere new.

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK
Verification word: HAHAHAHA

+1 TPE

Writing Prompts

For all written prompts you will gain 1 TPE for every 50 words written up to a 200 words / 4 TPE from single prompt.
Include at least prompt number, wordcount and TPE gained to each of your answers

Code:
2. Lasse Zeigler and Nathan Cormier each come into these finals tied for the most assists in these playoffs at 21. Who do you think will have more impact as a playmaker in this series?
3. Ivan Lacksamus is once again leading his team in points and has already tied Aaron Wilson’s record for career playoffs points at 242. While they are not the only one in New England to be producing points, do you think Texas should worry about Lacksamus who seems completely unaffected by their age?
4. Hodor and Seamus O'Slapahan have both been important parts of their teams offensive but they also have a noticeable lead in blocked shots in the playoffs. We know that one goal can change the game so each block is one puck on goal less to worry about, but can one person do it all or should the rest of their teams follow their example and start focusing more on blocking shots?
5. Olof Karsikko stands miles ahead of the league these playoffs in goals saved above average at 19.76 while Anthony Dionne is actually in the negatives at -0.90. Do you think Texas is at a major goalie disadvantage? Why or why not?
6. This time it is not one on one. Who will win in a fight between a group of renegades or pack of wolves? How does the fight go?
7. This time for J: Who you got? Who wins the Four Star Cup? Why?

5. Yes I think Texas has a slight goalie disadvantage this series. I mean the hot hand usually wins. We see it all the time. Some people have slumps and Dionne is having one hell of a slump. Now Texas can even the odds with solid defence and relentless offense so who knows. Just right now, straight goalie to goalie, hot hand wins.

62 Words +1 TPE

Code:

11. I think that Thomas Sawschuk performed slightly below my expectations regarding his own stats. He did have a 73 point season which is not something to sniff at just was below what I expected. I always expect him to be the best player to ever grace the ice and he did not meet that. I had to scroll like three pages on the stat sheet for him to show up in the point total! He did okay but I was hoping to see him take on a larger role in the New England lineup. Maybe that's me not paying attention to our team's current composition. I think with how Luke has set up the team and its dynasty, Thomas Sawschuk will only continue to play a larger role. Thomas is building up chemistry with his line mates and as that improves and the TPE gets higher, soon Thomas will write his name in the stars and his numbers in the rafters. That said, I don't expect to take any hardware home for personal stats. I mean we did win a Challenger's Cup so I really can not complain. Thomas has not regressed yet so we haven't reached peak Sawschuk. We may never reach peak Sawschuk. Thats the type of man he is. 

212 Words +4 TPE

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

GM Pass

Foil Up Boys

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max

Verification word: Sunday

3/8 TPE

Another season in the career of Lyle Odelein IV has gone by. This one was by far his best. Almost a PPG player, Odelein showed what he can do on the ice. He has a long way to go in his career, and he admittedly has a long way too go in his skills before he can make an impression in the SHL. He has yet to have any success in the playoffs, an area in his game he needs to vastly improve on. He is willing to put the work in and will do everything he can to become the best player he can be. And help his team win games and hopefully championships.

100 words - 2 TPE

5/8

Hodor and Seamus O'Slapahan have both been important parts of their teams offensive but they also have a noticeable lead in blocked shots in the playoffs. We know that one goal can change the game so each block is one puck on goal less to worry about, but can one person do it all or should the rest of their teams follow their example and start focusing more on blocking shots?

I personally love this prompt! I mean, my current player is Lyle Odelein IV, son of Lyle Odelein III, who holds in all time record for blocked shots, for the career (2798 blocked shots) and for a single season (S59 - 378 blocked shots). I don't know if Lyle Odelein III's record will hold forever, but it has been a whole. He blocked a whole lot of shots throughout his career as a New Orleans Specter, and it is any ones guess how many goals he actually prevented. Even if you figured a 10th of those blocked shots prevented a goal, that means over 300 goals did not happen. How many games, seasons could that have changed? So whenever I think about blocked shots, I think of game changing plays, a blocked shot I'd one of my all time favourite stays, one that I know is one of the most important and game changing stats.

250 words - 4 TPE

8/8 TPE

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Code:

bender

Code:

Code:

Bishop Van Apeldoorn exceeded most people's expectations. Bishop became the main starter for the Ottawa Highlanders this season and really stepped up in a big way. Bishop played 58 games throughout the regular season and managed to get 30 wins and 4 shutouts. But where Bishop shined the most was during the playoffs. Bishop was a major key to the Highlanders' run to the finals with 2 shutouts including one against the regular season champions, the Maine Timber. You couldn't ask for a better 2nd season from and undrafted goaltender and he only seems to be getting better as he gains more experience. Whether he gets an early call from Seattle or comes back to defend Ottawa's net for another season, You can expect big things from Bishop going forward.

(130 words)

Code:

Nice, +3 TPE

Code:

This is easily one of the more fair fights when it comes to this question. First, we need to analyze both sides of the conflict. The easiest to analyze would be the pack of wolves - wolves are the quintessential predator of their ecosystem, packing in aggression, agility, and hunting instinct. All three of these qualities are perfect for fighting, even when faced against humans. The difficult party to establish is the group of renegades. This is because of the very definition of "renegade," which in layman's terms means a traitor of some sort - which can range from a rough and tumble biker with an attitude problem to a CPA that reported a client to the IRS - it can be anything the person wants it to be. If I were to take a guess as to what people would consider a renegade in this scenario, it's a cowboy type that plays by his own rules and has a horse and a pistol. If we were to use that definition it would go to the group of renegades, since they can effectively take them out. That being said, there's too many possibilities as to the composition of that group to give a definitive answer. (202 words, +4 TPE)

Code:
9. Written, 50 to 200+ words. One Step Closer
After long last Minnesota managed to make their way to second round, but were not able to push further just yet. Since switching to FHM we have had multiple teams that have won the cup but there are still quite few teams that haven't been able to make it all the way. Baltimore, Calgary, Manhattan, Minnesota, Montreal, Tampa Bay and Toronto have not won the Challenge Cup during the FHM era, some have been close, but which one you think will be the next one to win and why do you pick them over the others?

I feel like the next new team to win the cup will be the Tampa Bay Barracuda. They are a very balanced team and while many may argue that Baltimore is a better choice, Tampa has been in this conversation more and more, so seeing them in the finals sooner should be expected. (53 words, +1 TPE)

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 10:28 PM by MyLittleHexx. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. TittySnacks, 1 Word, Potentially 3 tpe

2. I think Lasse Zeigler will be more impactful during the series. Nathan Cormier sounds like a name of some MMA fighter who has so much CTE that he only goes viral for talking about right wing talking points while huffing paint thinner. Plus with a name like Lasse, how do you not be the more impactful playmaker. 57 words, 1 tpe

3. Texas should be worried about Lackamus. He isn't lacking anywhere in his game right now, so they need to focus on shutting Lackamus down or outright injuring them. It's dirty hockey, but sometimes you have to do things if you want to win a championship. No matter the age, it will always be a battle in playoffs, and if you have someone producing at a good rate in playoffs, sometimes you need to clip the wings. Be afraid, be very afraid of Lackamus. You should be line matching him every shift and making sure to check when he steps on the ice so you can put a shadow on him. 110 words, 2 tpe

4. It is playoffs, everyone needs to be involved in every play, putting their body on the line every shift. If I'm the coach, I'm printing out the stats for shots blocked from the previous game, and highlighting the players with the most blocked shots. Tape that list on the board, and let the players walk in and look at it. Before the team heads out for the first period, I would simply tap the paper. If the players can't figure it out by that point, they get to take a seat next game in favour of a healthy scratch that is chomping at the bit to do anything they can for the team to win. Hockey is a team sport, one player can make a difference, but at the end of the day it is a team lifting a cup and a team celebrating a win. When the entire team is doing all they can, it makes it just that more easier to win. 164 words, 3 tpe

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

1. yes

2. Zeigler will end the season with the most assists on the postseason. This is purely due to the fact that he has a cooler name and that will be what carries hm to the title. Cormier is more so a fighter than a guy who will pass the puck so that will kill him.
3. Lackamus will be the key to any series New England is involved in for the foreseeable future. This king will be forever a league legend and should always be at the forefront of what the opposing team needs to think about during each and every playoff game which is crazy to say about this old man.
4. Blocked shots are the best way to iwn a playoff series outside of dropping the mits and going at it a few times a game. The one who is able to block the most shots here gives there tean a huge edge in the series and likely makes the difference between a win and a loss.
5. Karsiko is the greatest playoff performer of all time. Betting against him is dumb and people do it at their own risk and most of the time it does not apy out. There will have to be an act of god to make this not a series in which olfo is able to carry the team to victory by himself.
6. a fight against a pack of wolves is going to be a tough fight for anyone. The speed of these animals mixed with their likely larger size as a pack is goingto be the differentiator in this epic battle. A renegade will have a gun but its likely only a 6 shooter which limits their usefulness against the rapid wolves.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 10:48 PM by ZodiacEXE. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Submitted

ISFL Affiliate - 3 TPE

[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]
[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

Code:
Bababooey

+3 TPE

Code:
Yknow, this is a big debate topic. Not the whole "should the team start blocking shots around O'Slapahan and Hodor," but the value behind a good old fashioned shot block. It's similar to the discussion that surrounds hits--your ability to block a shot or to hit a puck carrier is tied to the fact your team doesn't have the puck. Some then posit that players who block a lot of shots are net negatives for the team. They only block shots because they aren't good enough to have it on their stick, stuff like that.

I disagree. Hodor and O'Slapahan clearly show that offensive prowess and shot blocking are not mutually exclusive concepts. Of course a 0 point player with 100 blocks is worse than a 50 point player with 0 blocks but that type of black-white binary thinking isn't how hockey works. Along the same vein, the stat heavy look ignores another major impact blocks (and hits) have: team morale. Bringing it all back to the topic of the finals, the act of top scoring players sacrificing their bodies for the challenge cup is a lightning rod for the rest of the team. IF that theory holds true, the team that feels greater inspired by their leader will also throw their bodies on the line to block shots and make life easier on their goalies.

In a very roundabout way, the rest of the team should start focusing on blocked shots--not because it is strong strategically, but because it shows full buy-in. It inspires strong play, and frankly it comes from good positioning. While you may argue that every being on the ice should already be fully inspired to play for the cup, the extra rush of engagement from a good block carries a lot of weight and can be a difference maker. Block shots, baby.

200+ words, 4 TPE

Code:
To be 100% honest here, expectations were fairly low. It's no real secret that Manhattan is still working itself out of the rebuilding stage and is firmly on the younger side of the league. Just getting into game action is all that Murdock could hope for. Plus he isn't exactly at the peak of his draft class, so there's no shame in not getting any RotY votes. A nice bonus upon expectations was the even strength contributions. Finishing 9th on the team in points? Could definitely be better, but to do so with only 4 powerplay points feels pretty good. Of course Murdock wouldn't mind scoring more on the powerplay, but being a positive influence is always nice. Plus, a TA/GA ratio >1.00 is great for a rookie! All in all, Murdock was able to score, was responsible with the puck, and played strong. Not much more to ask for!

100-150 words? At least 1 TPE so it dont matter

8 TPE total

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

1- Smokey +3 TPE

11- Leo Roze had his rookie season this year and it’s fair to say that he had a very good one when looking at what might have been expected from him. Team wise, Chicago finished 13th which is pretty good as many people were assuming they might be one of the worst teams this year but they played well. Leo only had 5 goals and 29 points but for a rookie defensive defenseman that’s not too bad. He would also finish in top 10 for blocks alongside his D partner Ho-Lee Smokes. He’d also be the only player on the team to finish with a positive plus/minus with 4 while #2 has -10. Leo had a great season once you look at anything besides point total and exceed expectations heavily. The question is if Leo is going to be able to maintain this? I think so as Chicago, and Leo himself, are young and going to be getting better every season. Leo already stands out on the defensive side of the game but maybe he grows into the offense side more as time goes on. His partner in Ho-Lee Smokes is only a year ahead of him and they both already are playing so well that they might become the best defensive pairing in the league pretty quickly. Whatever his future is, his rookie season will go down as a very good one when looking at everything that he was able to do.
243 words +4

12- The only correct IIHF prediction is Leo Roze will carry Latvia to a gold on the back of a 30 goal tournament. Book it. Seriously though, I think Latvia will keep pushing for a medal and maybe even win one this year. They’re always underdogs but the pairing of Roze - Tymer coming back from their QCC days will be scary for any team going up against them. Latvia, similarly to Chicago as mentioned before, is a team that people should be watching as a lot of their stars are just getting to the SHL and making an impact already. That impact will only get greater as seasons progress

108 words +2 TPE

[Image: Rn4Vt1E.png]

isfl pt 3 tpe

1. Trivia : allo

6 TPE

11. Shoyo Hinata is a aging player and it’s starting to show. Retirement is approaching. For the first time in 8 seasons, Shoyo was not a ppg player. He had 27 goals and 33 assists for a total of 60 points. He doesnt know what to expect for next season. Maybe 40 points.  It would be his worse season ever. But even if he is slowing down, Shoyo dont want to retire yet. He believe that he can still contribute to the team. Secretly he is aiming for team record in atlanta and for the hall of fame. Maybe if he keep going , he will be able to do it.

8 tpe

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest