Create Account

Official NBA Thread

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Feb 13 2013, 03:21 AM

Kyrie Irving

Do you even know Rudy Gay or are you trolling?

Quote:Originally posted by Wheelz@Feb 12 2013, 09:38 PM
Is there a more clutch player than Rudy Gay?

KD35 tbh

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Snappy@Feb 13 2013, 08:15 AM

KD35 tbh

Nah. Rudy still takes it.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/2/29/28...ffs-4th-quarter

If you scroll down to "Final minute since 2006 (click column header to sort)" about 1/3 of the page down (you can ctrl+f that)

You will notice that Gay has the highest FG% in the NBA in that scenario at
44.6% - 25/56 FG (1st)
38.1% - 8/21 3FG (5th)

He is also 4th in the final 24seconds at 39% 16/41 FG, behind Roy, Allen, and DWill (slightly further down the page)

It's too bad FTA were not included in that dataset.. very important IMO

That link is just 11 month old data so it is still pretty relevant. Rudy has also hit tonnes of game winner throughout his career and already two in 6 games with the raptors.

God Cam you are ridiculous lol

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Feb 13 2013, 11:13 AM
God Cam you are ridiculous lol

Why? I made a point and backed it up with facts.

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttHBHC7BqTk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttHBHC7BqTk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_glkRhfGAk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_glkRhfGAk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdvZuJZNvkc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdvZuJZNvkc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

Quote:Originally posted by Wheelz@Feb 13 2013, 11:11 AM

Nah. Rudy still takes it.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/2/29/28...ffs-4th-quarter

If you scroll down to "Final minute since 2006 (click column header to sort)" about 1/3 of the page down (you can ctrl+f that)

You will notice that Gay has the highest FG% in the NBA in that scenario at
44.6% - 25/56 FG (1st)
38.1% - 8/21 3FG (5th)

He is also 4th in the final 24seconds at 39% 16/41 FG, behind Roy, Allen, and DWill (slightly further down the page)

It's too bad FTA were not included in that dataset.. very important IMO

That link is just 11 month old data so it is still pretty relevant. Rudy has also hit tonnes of game winner throughout his career and already two in 6 games with the raptors.

Fuck stats. KD is the most clutch player in the game.

Quote:Originally posted by Wheelz@Feb 13 2013, 05:07 AM

Do you even know Rudy Gay or are you trolling?

no, i am only from Canada who's favorite team is the raptors, I surely couldn't know who Rudy Gay is.

Via espn insider from last year.

Quote:As part of a national obsession with the construct of a basketball closer, we idolize players who take over games in crunch time and put their teams on their backs with the game on the line. This is the act of the basketball hero, saving the day one contested jumper at a time.

We want our superstars to display a flair for the dramatic. We want them to take that shot, even if it isn't the smart basketball play. We want them to be a basketball version of Mariano Rivera, taking the ball in close-and-late situations and delivering on the big stage.

Well, there's no such thing as a basketball version of Mariano Rivera. No star sits on the bench for three quarters and checks into the game in the final minutes to close the door. This is why the closer adaptation might be problematic for basketball, a sport that demands the best players to play in all four quarters.

Nonetheless, we praise our stars who try to be the idyllic Rivera and dominate the ball when "it matters most." Thanks to NBA.com's new stats tool, we can see who uses his team's possessions the most during clutch situations.

So, who really takes over during crunch time?

If we're being true to the role of a closer in baseball, we're looking for the player who takes matters into his own hands and increases his usage the most with the game on the line. To measure this, we'll call upon the usage rate statistic, which calculates how often a player uses a team's possession while on the floor either by field goal attempt, free throw attempt or turnover. And how do we define when the game is on the line? For these purposes, we'll adopt NBA.com's definition of clutch situations: when the score margin is within five points in the final five minutes of the game.

Who takes the ball and raises his usage rate the most in clutch situations? You might be surprised. Let's take a look:

Taking over in crunch time
Largest increase in usage rate in clutch situations compared to overall usage rate (minimum 50 minutes of clutch play).

Player FG% ClutchFG% USG% ClutchUSG% Diff%
Kyrie Irving .468 .544 (31-57) 27.9 47.2 +19.3
Carmelo Anthony .425 .365 (31-85) 31.2 47.2 +16.0
Chris Paul .484 .449 (40-89) 23.7 35.5 +11.8
Jarrett Jack .456 .431 (22-51) 23.0 34.7 +11.6
Kevin Durant .503 .406 (43-106) 30.5 41.5 +10.9
Kyle Lowry .417 .357 (15-42) 21.7 31.4 +9.7
John Wall .422 .211 (8-38) 24.6 33.8 +9.1
Monta Ellis .434 .452 (28-62) 28.5 36.7 +8.2
Derrick Rose .436 .292 (14-48) 30.5 38.5 +8.1
D.J. Augustin .376 .393 (11-28) 20.5 27.3 +6.8
Holy smokes, Kyrie Andrew Irving. It's a shame he's been shut down, because the kid has wasted no time to assert himself on the big stage. The 20-year-old rookie leads the NBA in added usage in clutch situations. He normally uses "just" 27.9 percent of his team's possessions, but when the going gets tough, Irving gets going. In clutch situations, Irving raises his usage rate to 47.2 percent, which is tied for the highest in the NBA along with Carmelo Anthony. And he's not just chucking up shots like Anthony; Irving has made just as many crunch-time shots as Anthony in 28 fewer attempts.

Armed with a college title and a stainless closer reputation, Anthony hasn't lived up to the hype in clutch situations this season. Shooting just 36.5 percent this season compared to the league average of 41.3 percent, Anthony has put up more duds (like Sunday against the Heat) than heroics (like two Sundays ago against the Chicago Bulls). But that probably won't change his sterling rep around the league.

What's also interesting is that Irving has often been called the next Chris Paul, who finds himself as the third guy on this list. You'll notice that the list is dominated by point guards, which makes sense given that teams usually become extremely risk-averse in crucial situations and crack down on passing the ball around. But Paul has developed a reputation for his "rope-a-dope" routine, saving his energy over the course of the game, then knocking teams out in the closing minutes. The numbers here support that intuition.

Kevin Durant joins Anthony as the only non-point guards on the list, trailing Jarrett Jack (yes, Jarrett Jack) in added usage in crunch time. Durant's shooting percentage drops off considerably compared to the rest of the game, but he's actually been electric in his smaller sample of game-winning shots this season.

Not on the list? Kobe Bryant, LeBron James or Dwyane Wade. Although Bryant holds the reputation as an clutch assassin -- or ball hog, depending on whom you ask -- he ranks just outside the top 10 at 15th in added usage in clutch time. James sees his usage rate rise by 3.2 percent from 31.4 percent to 34.5 percent in clutch situations, while Wade raises it by only 1.2 percent to 32.2 percent, which goes against the conventional wisdom.

So if Irving, Anthony and Paul are the closest things to a basketball closer, then who's the closest thing to a starting pitcher? To measure this, we'll take the opposite approach and see who disappears in crunch-time usage. The answer: one of Paul's opponents on Monday.

Starting but not finishing
Largest decrease in usage rate in clutch situations compared to overall usage rate (minimum 50 minutes of clutch play).

Player FG% ClutchFG% USG% ClutchUSG% Diff%
James Harden .484 .273 (3-11) 21.3 6.5 -14.8
Amare Stoudemire .477 .333 (6-18) 24.8 13.6 -11.2
Antawn Jamison .412 .276 (8-29) 25.9 14.9 -11.0
Nicolas Batum .454 .381 (8-21) 20.5 11.8 -8.7
Iman Shumpert .395 .500 (7-14) 18.5 10.0 -8.5
Brendan Haywood .528 .500 (2-4) 12.9 4.5 -8.4
Tristan Thompson .438 .667 (6-9) 18.9 10.5 -8.4
Kenyon Martin .436 .500 (3-6) 14.2 6.3 -7.9
James Johnson .443 .222 (2-9) 19.7 11.9 -7.8
DeMar DeRozan .420 .333 (11-33) 25.3 17.6 -7.6
James Harden's disappearance in crunch time is stunning. Harden, Durant and Russell Westbrook have shared the court for 134 minutes together in crunch time, but Harden, who is normally one of the Thunder's go-to scorers, has barely gotten a shot off down the stretch. Remarkably, Harden has attempted only 11 field goals in clutch time this season compared to Durant's 106 shots and Westbrook's 78 shots. By only using 6.5 percent of the team's possessions in crunch time, Harden essentially goes from being a third wheel to a spare tire.

You'll also see Stoudemire's name near the top of the list along with other big men. Anthony is the most ball-dominant wing player in the league, and it shouldn't be a surprise to see his teammates Stoudemire and Iman Shumpert finding themselves in the dark. Antawn Jamison and Tristan Thompson also find themselves left out down the stretch, but they'll gladly do that if Irving keeps up his scorching 54.4 percent shooting percentage.

Who else fades down the stretch? Dwight Howard, as you might suspect, just missed the top 10, checking in at 13th place. The embattled center has watched his overall usage rate dip from 26.1 percent to just 18.7 percent, fueling the perception that he can't be depended on in clutch situations. Given his abysmal free throw numbers and a propensity to turn the ball over, it might be best that the Orlando Magic put the ball in someone else's hands in critical situations.

When it comes to clutch performance, there's plenty more to dissect; this is just the tip of the iceberg. But if we're searching for the actual closer who dominates the ball in crunch time, we know who fits the bill -- and who doesn't.

Also for this season, Irving has 3 game winners in 41 games (which would average to 6 game winners this season) and has the highest game winning shot percentage. Rudy Gay has 2 in 48 games (which averages to 3 game winners in an 82 game season)

So yes, Kyrie Irving is more clutch. Watch more non-raptor games, then come talk basketball.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Feb 13 2013, 01:26 PM

no, i am only from Canada who's favorite team is the raptors, I surely couldn't know who Rudy Gay is.

Via espn insider from last year.

Also for this season, Irving has 3 game winners in 41 games (which would average to 6 game winners this season) and has the highest game winning shot percentage. Rudy Gay has 2 in 48 games (which averages to 3 game winners in an 82 game season)

So yes, Kyrie Irving is more clutch. Watch more non-raptor games, then come talk basketball.

Why did you just ignore the stats I posted?

Anyways that just shows the usage of players late in games. That doesn't necessarily make a player clutch. That is incredibly flawed. On the first list it has Kyle Lowry very high. He's somewhat good in clutch situations but he is not even close to being one of the top guys. On the second list (didnt really read) but it has DeMar DeRozan on it and he's one of the least clutch players I've ever seen.

Those two alone just blow my mind.

But comparing game winners with Irving and Gay is unfair. Kyrie is their only great player and obviously would get all the opportunity in late game situations. Rudy played on Memphis with ZDolph, Gasol, and MC. Now Gay has finally been able to be a go-to guy and he has excelled.

I also watch plenty of basketball. Probably more basketball than hockey. I've personally seen both Kyrie and Gay take over games in the late 4th.

who knew cam was a bigger raptors homer than leafs homer

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Feb 13 2013, 12:25 PM
this. When stats support his claim, he uses it. When they dispute it, he comes up with an excuse.

You obviously do not watch a lot of basketball because regardless of who is on your team, one guy on the team takes the last shot. Lebron takes the last shot 98% of the time even with Wade on the team.

Kyrie Irving is more clutch the Rudy Gay, and the stats prove that. He was the most clutch last season, and the most clutch this season

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Feb 13 2013, 03:25 PM

How is it being a homer when I'm right? I posted stats and evidence. I also said Lowry and DD are not even CLOSE to even be in the consideration of most clutch player. If I was a homer I'd say the opposite or ridiculous comments without backing them up. But ok. Whatever.

Quote:Originally posted by Wheelz@Feb 13 2013, 12:30 PM

How is it being a homer when I'm right? I posted stats and evidence. I also said Lowry and DD are not even CLOSE to even be in the consideration of most clutch player. If I was a homer I'd say the opposite or ridiculous comments without backing them up. But ok. Whatever.

umm I posted stats proving you were wrong. Is Gay clutch? Yes. Is he the most clutch? no.

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Feb 13 2013, 03:32 PM

umm I posted stats proving you were wrong. Is Gay clutch? Yes. Is he the most clutch? no.

I posted more relevant stats and those proved me right. When DEMAR FRICKIN DEROZAN is included in most clutch players on your list then it's clearly flawed :lol:

This is coming from a big DD fan.

But whatever. You'll come up with some LOLOLOL homer response and others will back you up because that is how this site works. Peace bruh. Not even gonna bother.

Quote:Originally posted by Wheelz@Feb 13 2013, 12:36 PM

I posted more relevant stats and those proved me right. When DEMAR FRICKIN DEROZAN is included in most clutch players on your list then it's clearly flawed&nbsp; :lol:

This is coming from a big DD fan.

But whatever. You'll come up with some LOLOLOL homer response and others will back you up because that is how this site works. Peace bruh. Not even gonna bother.

like you said, you did not read the second part and just say DD's name on it. Read that part, come back and apologize to me because you were wrong.

Kyrie Irving having the most game winners and the highest game winning shot percentage is more relevant than anything you posted.

#winning