Create Account

Witzel Calls it Quits Retirement

<div align="center">Witzel Calls it Quits

After a disappointing first round elimination to division rival, the Minnesota Chiefs, Witzel's chance at a second cup was put to rest as the Chiefs went on to win their second cup in franchise history. The Hawks and Chiefs have met in the playoffs four times in the past four seasons, with both teams recording a 2-2-0 record and most of their meetings occurring in the Eastern conference finals. Witzel had a lot to say regarding his retirement in this morning's press conference.

[Image: Crosby.jpg]
Former teammates, Witzel and Miller, meeting on the ice for the fourth time in four seasons against eachother.

"I've had a fairly dramatic career, on and off the ice here in the SHL, but I wouldn't change a thing. I have contemplated this decision ever since my final season in Minnesota, but I continuously pushed myself to play 'just one more', until now.

At the beginning of this season (S12), I informed GM Joe McKeil that this would be my final season in the SHL, and that my intentions were to retire a Steelhawk, in Hamilton. This decision was made regardless of our team's success this season, regardless of how well or poorly I played, S12 was my final year in this league.

Joe had the opportunity to ask me to waive my no trade clause, but he did not do so. He was aware of my intentions to remain and retire a Hawk, but had every chance to shop me around the league. Due to this, I have gained much respect for him, and would like to thank him for his work as the team's manager."

[Image: Mike-Richards-Press-Conference-Style.jpg]

Everywhere Witzel played, he seemed to draw large quantities of attention towards his team, whether it be the Steelhawks, or the Chiefs. His off ice antics initiated multiple rivalries with other players, and teams, something that he seemed to enjoy as a competitive player, and person.

Witzel won almost every award, and championship you could, at many different levels. His success can be rooted back all the way to junior when he won the Four Star Cup with the Firebirds, to his recent winning of the Challenge Cup with the Hamilton Steelhawks. Here is a list of his achievements including trophies, and team records...

Code:
NWJHL Trophies:
-S4 Four Star Cup Champions (Prince George Firebirds)
-S4 Jack Crasher Trophy Winner (Firebirds MVP)
-S4 Aaron Brown Trophy Winner (League MVP)
-S4 Peritus Trophy Winner (Award of Excellence)
-S4 Taldon Shepard Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)

IHF/Olympic Trophies:
-S6 IHF Team World Centre; Bronze Medal
- S7 IHF Team Canada Centre; Gold Medal
-S8 Team Canada Center; Silver Medal
-S10 Olympics Team Germany Centre; Silver Medal

SHL Trophies:
-S7 Sarmad Khan Trophy Winner (MVP awarded by the fans)
-S7 Ron Mexico Trophy Winner (Reg. Season MVP)
-S7 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner (Selke; best defensive forward)
-S11 Challenge Cup Champions (Hamilton Steelhawks)
-S11 Anton Razov Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)

Triple Crown:
1. NWJHL Four Star Cup; Prince George Firebirds
2. IHF Gold Medal; Team Canada
3. SHL Challenge Cup; Hamilton Steelhawks

[Image: 2007+NHL+Awards+Show+I4sGaFeqOMtl.jpg]

In his eight SHL seasons, Witzel spent five of those seasons with the team that drafted him, the Minnesota Chiefs, and three seasons with the Hamilton Steelhawks, whom he signed with in the S9 off-season. Witzel lead the Chiefs in points every season he played there, from S5-S9 and is still second in Chiefs all time points. The same can be said for Hamilton as Witzel lead the Steelhawks in points from S10-S12 as their captain.

Code:
Regular Season Statistics
S4 | Firebirds | GP: 40 | G: 19 | A:36 | P: 55 | +/-: +1 | FO: 51.72 | PIM: 95 | Hits: 65 |

S5 | Chiefs | GP: 44 | G: 6 | A: 11 | P: 17 | +/-: -27 | FO%: 45.80% | PIM: 57 | Hits: 52 |  
S6 | Chiefs | GP: 59 | G: 25 | A: 28 | P: 53 | +/-: +5 | FO%: 50.41% | PIM: 84 | Hits: 85 |  
S7 | Chiefs | GP: 50 | G: 18 | A: 39 | P: 57 | +/-: +20 | FO%: 53.56 | PIM: 83 | Hits: 73
S8 | Chiefs | GP: 59 | G: 20 | A: 30 | P: 50 | +/-: +12 | FO%: 54.03% | PIM: 66 | Hits: 68 |
S9 | Chiefs | GP: 50 | G: 28 | A: 29 | P: 57 | +/-: +15 | FO%: 52.34% | PIM: 76 | Hits: 135 |
S10 | Hawks | GP: 50 | G: 26 | A: 52 | P: 78 | +/-: +27 | FO%: 56.93% | PIM: 64 | Hits: 137 |
S11 | Hawks | GP: 50 | G: 23 | A: 43 | P: 66 | +/-: +8 | FO%: 55.52% | PIM: 58 | Hits: 147 |
S12 | Hawks | GP: 50 | G: 19 | A: 24 | P: 43 | +/-: +17 | FO%: 56.21% | PIM: 88 | Hits: 151 |

However, despite being a very flashy player in the regular season, Witzel was famous for his dominance in the post-season. He was nominated for the Razov in S6 (Chiefs), and finally won it in S11 with the Steelhawks for his best ever performance in the playoffs, and career for that matter if you consider his PPG ratio. Over eight seasons, Witzel is over a point per game when it matters most, which has also earned him a Challenge Cup in Hamilton.

Code:
Playoff Statistics
S4 | Firebirds | GP: 12 | G: 11 | A: 6 | P: 17 | +/-: +8 | PIM: | Hits:  |

S6 | Chiefs | GP: 17 | G: 6 | A: 16 | P: 22 | +/-: +11 | FO%: 51.47 | PIM: 23 | Hits: 28 |
S8 | Chiefs | GP: 12 | G: 2 | A: 7 | P: 9 | +/-: 0 | FO%: 59.30% | PIM: 12 | Hits: 22 |
S9 | Chiefs | GP: 7 | G: 2 | A: 7 | P: 9 | +/-: +4 | FO%: 49.69% | PIM: 10 | Hits: 15 |
S10 | Hawks | GP: 12 | G: 3 | A: 12 | P: 15 | +/-: +2 | FO%: 57.75% | PIM: 14 | Hits: 51 |
S11 | Hawks | GP: 15  | G: 12  | A: 17  | P: 29  | +/-: +11  | FO%: 58.95  | PIM: 28  | Hits: 61  |
S12 | Hawks | GP: 5  | G: 2  | A: 2  | P: 4  | +/-: -4  | FO%: 55.38  | PIM: 8  | Hits: 14  |

[Image: 14919-BAUER-live-main-default-imagedata.jpg]
Witzel and Martucci sharing the Challenge Cup together.

"S12 was the first time I had felt that the effects of my age. The league's competetiveness has escaped me and I am no longer the player I once was. With so many new, young, up and comers entering the league, I think it's time to pass the torch and let a player like Rehn Miller develop into my former role as the top line centre. It's difficult to admit, but my statistics in S12 showed that I am no longer one of the best in the game, and I can't accept that. This was the second seasons in eight years that I recorded just under a PPG and the 2nd time I did not record at least 50 points. Facing the Chiefs in the playoffs further proved this to me. As things got really nitty and gritty, I struggled to stay in it and my points reflected that. I do not want to be remembered like that, so retiring is the best option at this point in my career."

"I would like to thank all of my managers and teammates who played along my side from junior, to the SHL and international leagues, it has been fun. I believe the Steelhawks will continue to contend with the leave of myself as they have many centre's in the system, such as Winter, McKeil, Miller, and more. This team is still very young and dangerous, I hope they can continue to be a dominating force. With that, I would like to wish Lebacon, Winters, Grig, Cant, Swerin, Miller, Shultz, Mucyk, Tripp, Carlsson, Ekblad, Winter, McKeil, Andersson, Wissink, Martucci and Lindsay good luck in the future. The same goes for my former teammates, especially to Jackson Turska and the Chiefs."

P.S. I will not be re-creating and will be going inactive (likely asking Spangle to ban me).

I'm willing to answer any questions that people may have.

(send the money earned from this article to Joe's account)

Thanks.

[Image: puck_daddys_biggest_trades_of_.jpg]
</div>

Never played with Armia therefore whole career is irrelevant.

Also you gonna re-create?

[Image: ArmiaJr.png]

Always sad to see a legendary player walk away. All the best, man. Cheers

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Wadester+Mar 28 2013, 05:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wadester @ Mar 28 2013, 05:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Never played with Armia therefore whole career is irrelevant.

Also you gonna re-create?[/b]
Trifecta of awesome :( <3

And no, I will not (see last part).

<!--QuoteBegin-malcontentcapsfan@Mar 28 2013, 05:39 PM
Always sad to see a legendary player walk away. All the best, man. Cheers[/quote]
Thanks Schultzy, it was fun playing on the same team as you. Good luck as CO, get the Hawks another cup Smile Cheers Steelhawks

Great player, great career.

Good luck in life Cheers

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Wiiiittttzzz :( I'll miss you bud :(

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Good luck bud. But I know you'll be back Tongue

[Image: ArmiaJr.png]

Why are you leaving? :(

Future Hall of Famer without any doubt.

Was great to have to as teammate and captain of the Steelhawks.

I really wish you everything great in real life :wub:

Good luck some bouts in leafs section but u were the one who recruited moi haha

West Kendall

Bye Witz :( I honestly hope you re-create in the future, but good luck in life. You will be missed!

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus+Mar 28 2013, 05:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BasedMinkus @ Mar 28 2013, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great player, great career.

Good luck in life&nbsp; Cheers[/b]
You too bud. Best rivalry I had <3

Quote:Originally posted by JmanPens19@Mar 28 2013, 05:44 PM<br />Wiiiittttzzz :(&nbsp; I'll miss you bud :(
Same :( the league needs more members like you, sucks we didn't get to be teammates <_< <3

Quote:Originally posted by joecool37@Mar 28 2013, 05:46 PM<br />Future Hall of Famer without any doubt.

Was great to have to as teammate and captain of the Steelhawks.

I really wish you everything great in real life&nbsp; :wub:
Thanks for having me, playing in Hamilton was arguably the best time i've had on this site. GL with the team Joe Smile

Quote:Originally posted by ProdigyMcdavid@Mar 28 2013, 05:46 PM<br />Good luck some bouts in leafs section but u were the one who recruited moi haha
Ilike keep them leaf fans in line Wink

<!--QuoteBegin-Dion.OvOxO@Mar 28 2013, 05:48 PM
Bye Witz :( I honestly hope you re-create in the future, but good luck in life. You will be missed![/quote]
You too man, Leafs section was my fav part of this site :lol: keep speakin the truth Wink

bye Witzel
take care Cheers

When I first saw this, I thought next year could be a super-class. I am dissapointed, but I understand that it all comes from something.

What a career you had!

Cheers

[Image: MaU5eKD.png]
[Image: kECK2tc.png]

I never played with u but I can tell u were a great guy. Byee :(

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal