Create Account

GoB's Thread about Writing

Hey everyone. Long time no see. You look nice today. Did you do something different with your hair? Oh, hi there. I recognize you; looks like you lost some weight, big guy. Nice work!

*clears throat*

Now that introductions are out of the way - and to some of you, none of this is new information - I wanted to mention that for the past 5+ years, I've been pursuing a career as a novelist. I've finished two novels so far, and am about 70% done with my third. I've also written a few children's books, and some short stories. I thought I might throw a thread up on this site in case anyone is interested, has any questions/comments/etc, and see how it goes.

My first announcement is that for the first time since 2016, I'm uploading a new short story to Amazon. It's in the review process at the moment and won't be available for a few days, but as part of the new release, I want to run a freesale on one of my short stories. The question is: do I run a freesale on the new short, or one of the other ones? Anyone have any thoughts? I'm leaning toward either the new on, or What Happened Next. The new one is heady sci-fi, WHN is like a crazy gory anime-esque action thing (new story, Birdsong, is not on my page yet as it's being processed, as I mentioned). Here's a link to my page if people want to peruse and request something different.

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Emerson/e/B0...scns_share

Very cool, glad to see you're still writing and it's going well! Thanks for the update!

Both the stories sound interesting! If you have a following it may be good to promote the new story with a free sale but I have no idea how this industry works.

In the sandwich industry it'd be like running a special on a new kind of sandwich, which is an industry I know well..

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z4RVSP

Some sort of promotion coming soon, but check out the brief synopsis if you're interested.

In honor of Star Wars Day tomorrow, my new sci-fi short story BIRDSONG will be available for FREE on Tuesday, May 4th! Please check it out, share the link, etc etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z4RVSP

It's live and free

85% finished with the first draft of novel #3. Then I'll pass it off to a beta reader, and while I wait for feedback, I'll do a second draft of novel #2.

Got feedback on my third novel today. Super excited about this one - feedback was excellent. Been working on edits most of the day so far and almost finished polishing this one up. Imagine a gritty, 97 minute R-rated dystopian action movie with chase sequences.

I got an offer of representation from a literary agent today....!

06-22-2021, 12:42 PMGifter of Bikes Wrote: I got an offer of representation from a literary agent today....!

Hell yeah! That's awesome

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

06-22-2021, 12:42 PMGifter of Bikes Wrote: I got an offer of representation from a literary agent today....!
That's awesome! Congrats!

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Thank you both. I sent her a handful of questions, so hopefully it goes well.

HI GOB long time no see, My old Seattle Riot Homie. I used to love reading those dark stories of yours, I wish you all the best with your career as a novelist Smile

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

06-22-2021, 02:16 PMTML99 Wrote: HI GOB long time no see, My old Seattle Riot Homie. I used to love reading those dark stories of yours, I wish you all the best with your career as a novelist Smile

OH hey dude! Thanks!

This one is the first book of a chapter book series. I generally describe it as Magic Tree House meets Young Indiana Jones with a female lead. That said, if the agent relationship works out, maybe I can get some attention for my three finished novel-length manuscripts.

So I asked the agent 5 questions and never heard back. Back to the drawing board there, unfortunately. I've also started my 4th novel, a fantasy heist tale, but at some point I'll need to send out a bunch of queries again. Hopefully I can get something into the world [and your hands!] by 2024 lol. Publishing is a slow-ass industry.

Wednesday is another Twitter pitch event. I will be pitching Nightrunner for the first time. It's a wild, frenetic post-apocalyptic heist book from the perspective of the getaway driver. Here is one of the pitches I'll be tweeting on the 28th. If you are on twitter, please consider RTing any of my pitches that you like! My handle is @penningemerson.

All Stranger wants is to be left alone with his drugs, fast cars, & (rarely) fast women. Everything changes when he's injected with a toxin by a reclusive billionaire who will give him the antidote - if Stranger is the wheelman for a series of international heists