Create Account

Rajalsson: Hall Deserves Praise

<div align="center">[Image: Sportsnet+logo+2011.png]
Steelhawks GM Ben Hall Deserves Praise Despite Horrid Season
[Image: chris-pronger.jpg]
Written By: Christian Rajalsson</div>

Hamilton Steelhawks rookie Noro Wozy stares out onto the rink from Section 209 in the Copps Coliseum, in anticipation for tonight's home game against the New England Wolfpack. Regardless of his performance in the SHL during his rookie season, Wozy is still adamant about the season and proud of his performance.

"I was welcomed properly to the team." He said. "The team and organization was extremely welcoming and patient with the route I was taking to develop and transition my game to the SHL level. I don't really know if I would have gotten the same amount of patience from another organization, and I won't know."

Wozy is one of the many cases in the curious case that is the Hamilton Steelhawks. Last season, they barely missed out on the playoffs, but rumors of a divide in the locker room saw key pieces in Ludwig Koch Schroder and Jon Ross depart the team, placing immense speculation on current Steelhawks General Manager Ben "Hallsy" Hall: did he know what he was doing?

It's no doubt that the Steelhawks this season are nowhere near playoff, never mind Challenge Cup, contention. With a record of 13-25-3, to say the Steelhawks this season is a disaster, is putting it lightly. However, the Steelhawks have had moral victories, rather than actual victories on the ice. Case in point? The emergence of Isaac Kaiser, Luke Atmey finding his stride as an elite winger, Ben Dover's ability to fill in the gap left by Ludwig Koch Schroder and more. Everyone stepped up this season to fill in the gaps left by Ross and Koch Schroder.

Let's start off with the most surprising case, Isaac Kaiser. Known only for his agitation abilities, hits and leadership, Kaiser made the jump to center this season after the Steelhawks placed emphasis on developing top prospect Robert Phelps' game in the SMJHL, insisting that they were not going to rush Phelps into the big leagues. And while Kaiser at times has struggled at center, overall he's been a welcome versatile player who can play tough minutes on both the power play, penalty kill and still be good for 20-25 points.

"Something clicked." Kaiser said. "I don't know what it was, but I just felt like I was back at home. Playing center's been a great experience for me so far, and I guess I'd like to continue playing center if I can have this amount of success."

"Kaiser's been a great addition to the team." Hall said. "I know he wants to test the free agent market, but I'd be more than happy to have him back on the team. He's not only been a force for us on the ice, but he's been a great guy off of it. He's definitely cleaned up his act since Portland, and has matured into a proper SHL player."

Luke Atmey has gone from a 30-35 point player to 8th in the league for goals and 14th in the league for points. With 44 points, the winger easily has the biggest point total on the Steelhawks. His breakout has meant a forthcoming bright future for the Steelhawks as Atmey is only 21 years old. Can Atmey keep this up?

"He's a top notch winger for us." Hall said. "Easily one of the best in the league. Atmey will definitely be one of our core players for years to come. Just having a young guy who can play hard minutes and consistently put the puck into the back of the net is always a welcome guy on the Steelhawks."

All the while, the emergence of these players can be contributed to who else but Ben Hall. The magician himself, turning a bottom 6 winger into a 20 point middle 6 center, and a 30 point winger into a top end scorer. Hall deserves only praise, despite what the Steelhawks record says. Everything about the team says "success is coming", it's just the fanbase will have to be patient.

"Our major priority right now is just to transition from the rebuilding stage by compiling young and talented players, into a playoff stage and finally into championship contention." Hall said. "It's how rebuilds work, and it's how this rebuild is going to work. Sure losing Ludwig and Jon hurt the team and set us back a couple of years, and we may not be able to replace them short term, but long term we'll be able to come back from this no problem."

Only time will tell.

-------------------------

I lost a bet.
[Image: pv3xpYr.png]

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by daBenchwarmer - 07-08-2017, 12:57 PM
[No subject] - by TheWoZy - 07-08-2017, 01:12 PM
[No subject] - by daBenchwarmer - 07-08-2017, 01:13 PM
[No subject] - by Candrews - 07-08-2017, 01:59 PM