Create Account

Jamacian hockey player

The SHL has a bunch of stories of players that have overcome different situations to be league players and stars. However, none is as different as SMJHLer, and Montreal Militia Defender Phil McRakin. Today we will have an in depth interview with Phil to talk about his upbringing and what brought this Jamaican born player to the SMJHL.

Host - “Jamaican Born, playing hockey? Please explain?”

Phil - “Well, My dad is Jamaican, My mom is from Canada. They met in Jamaica and got married there. I came along to long after. Shortly after i was born my dad became the Jamaican Ambassador to Canada. So i grew up a large portion of my life in Canada. We lived in Ottawa but we made plenty of visits to Montreal, My parents loved Montreal. My father took me to so many Militia games. It didn’t take me long to fall in love with the sport and the city. My father enrolled me into a bunch of hockey programs while we were in Ottawa.”

Host - “ Well that is different, how is it you claim to be Jamaican and not dual citizen seeing as how your mom was Canadian?”

Phil - “ My mom became a Jamaican Citizen shortly after they got married. I personally feel like its an honour to my father to identify with his country and the impact it can make in a sport like Hockey, it’s huge.”

Host - “ You missed the SMJHL Entry draft, how come?”

Phil - “ My paperwork was late. Being Jamaican, some paperwork was required for work permits and what not. So i missed but a few weeks. When Montreal came knocking it was just to good to pass up. The opportunity to play for the team that made me fall in love with the sport, just felt like fate.”

Host - “ Describe yourself. your Playing style.”

Phil - “ Offensive Defensman, not sure what more i can add. I want to be a puck moving Defensman who shoots the puck and scores, or at least gives the opportunity to his team to win.  As far as i’m concerned about myself, I just like to have fun. I grew up the son of an Ambassador, people think that means i’m proper, I’m like everyone else.”

Host - “ You seem to be having a hard time adjusting to the game? How come?”

Phil - “ It’s different from everything i’ve known. It’s Quicker than expected and it’s been hard to acclimate to the city. I live alone and i defiantly miss my family and friends. That said, i’m putting in extra time to catch up to my teammates. I’m confidant i can do it.”

Host - “ What are your goals this season?”

Phil - “ Right now it’s to keep getting better. I want to help this team as much as i can. I’ve been slow off the start but i’ll be fine. wouldn’t mind a couple dozen goals tho.”

Host - “ Tell us about your first point in the SMJHL, It must be pretty memorable.”

Phil - “ Oh ya it was. It was the first game of the season. We were going into the third withe score 1-1 in Kelowna. The Knights scored 30 seconds into the period take the lead and we were pissed about it. Luckily Kelowna took a penalty. At the end of the power play, i think there were a few more seconds left, Our Center, Derek Bohne won the face-off and the puck came right to me, I just looked up and saw Daniil i the circle and i fired a pass for the one timer and it worked. We still lost in a shootout but that point i will remember for a long time.” 

Host - “ What do you think playing in the SMJHL will do for Jamaica?”

Phil - “ I hope it inspires young people to find a way to take up the sport. I know people think it’s impossible but there is a story of a bobsled team from Jamaica, no one thought they could do it. I hope people see me and say it is possible and maybe one day we can have a Jamaican Hockey team, and a movie called Cool Skating!”

Host - “ With the SHL draft coming up do you see yourself getting drafted? If so who would you want to play with?”

Phil - “ I hope i get drafted, Obviously i got off to a bad start but i’ll get better. I hope to impress going forward and make a statement that a Jamaican can play the game. I hope a team from the south will draft me. No offense to the Northern teams but Texas and West Kendall are closer to Jamaica than say, Toronto or Winnipeg.”

Host - “ 2 points in 17 games and a -6, what are you looking to improve from here to the end of the season?”

Phil - “ Maybe a few goals, Get that -6 to 0 if possible. I want to be consistent at both ends of the ice so that is what i am focus on.”

Host - “ What are you looking forward to as far as games are concerned?”

Phil - “ Good question. I think our first game against Detroit. They are a really good team and i would like to see where we stack up against them. As well, Vancouver, also a top team that will test us. It’s always fun playing a defending Champion. In reality, every team we have not played against yet is something i look forward to. Obviously the pre season and the regular season are two very different things so i’m excited for the experience of playing in all these places, and playing them at home in Montreal where the fans are awesome. I don’t think the atmosphere can be any more electric than Montreal. I can’t wait to experience the playoffs there as well.” 

Host - "Speaking of Playoffs, as of now Montreal is in 5th meaningful gif the playoffs started today you would play Vancouver. How do you feel about a matchup like that?”

Phil - “ Well, we started the season 0-6-1, once we got Vrana back we are 7-2-1. I think we are a different team than the first 7 games and we should not be under estimated. I Can’t wait for the playoffs, where we can show what we are made of. "

Host - "Well, Phil McRakin, We thank you for your time and wish you an awesome rest of your rookie season. We are excited to see what kind of impact you will make from here on out."

[Image: 2ruHa7q.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Jamacian hockey player - by Austinr1628 - 11-16-2018, 08:54 AM