Create Account

Season 45 Retrospective for Collin Gibbles

-Season 45 in the Rearview Mirror-

With the Finals of both the SHL and SMJHL underway, Collin Gibbles has decided to take a look back at their inaugural season in the SHL system and what it has meant to them. While Gibble's dreams of winning a Cup with Anaheim have been dashed for this season; he is hoping to return next season as a dominant force for the Outlaws.

"I think we have a good young core that can easily make strong pushes in the next few post-seasons as long as we focus on winning. We have most of the pieces needed to really make a splash in Juniors if we work as a team. I hope I can help bring Anaheim it's first Four Star Cup before I am called up." - Collin "Professor" Gibbles

Draftee Showcase:

Shortly after declaring his entry into the SMJHL, Gibbles was on his way to the preseason talent showcase to prove he belonged in this league. Gibbles was assigned to the Stingrays squad and quickly took to the new environment. Gibbles has always been known to take control of the ice he is playing on, and this showcase was no exception. Gibbles ended the Showcase tied for 9th in points with 43 and leading the Showcase in Assists with 36 in 36 games. Gibbles lead his squad in scoring while boasting a 1.18 P/20. The Stingrays would not make it past the 2nd round in the playoffs. This did not deter Gibbles as he looked towards the impending SMJHL Entry Draft. With news of 2 more expansion franchises being awarded to Anaheim and Lethbridge, Gibbles was sure he would be drafted in the first two rounds.

"I think my work in the showcase stood for itself. I did what I do best as make my teammates shine and racking up the assists. It's a shame we didn't go farther in the playoffs but it was a definite learning experience and I hope to make some good bonds with my new teammates after the draft. I think my play-making ability will put me in in either the 1st or 2nd round." -Collin Gibbles(Following the Stingrays elimination from the Showcase Playoffs)

Gibbles was determined to make whatever team drafted him into a winner. He had a few good interviews with the SMJHL GM's and was eagerly awaiting the draft day with his family. Would he go to a proven contender, a rebuild, or perhaps even a new franchise with a clean slate. Each opportunity had it's pros and cons but excited Gibbles nonetheless. Only fate would know what trajectory his career would take.

The Outlaws Gain a New Rider:

As Gibbles waited at home with the draft board ticking down through the end of the first round he began to wonder if he would fall past anyone's predictions. No team had taken him by the end of the first round and he was starting to wonder how he could have made a bigger impact. Surely he was a key piece in any team's future. The second round began and by the time Anaheim was on the clock with pick #20; Gibbles was sure he was dropping to the 3 round.

Suddenly the phone rang as the words began to flash across the draft broadcast. He was being taken at #20 overall by the Anaheim Outlaws. He was estatic and began thanking his new GM over the phone for the opportunity he was being given. Gibbles began booking his flight and packing his bags to make the cross country flight to his new home in California. Determined to make his mark on the league, he began training the day he arrived in town. Not wanting to waste his chance, he quickly began bonding with his new teammates in preparation for the upcoming season. Gibbles seemed to throw himself fully into making this new team something to remember.

"I think we have a real chance to make something special here in Anaheim. I'd like to thank GM Dangles and Co-GM Harvey Danger for giving me this chance and believing in what I can offer the franchise. I'm going to put in the work to show them they picked the right guy. My new teammates are great so far and we are starting to develop some real chemistry after our team retreat to Vegas." -Gibbles(One week after landing in Anaheim)
  Gibbles would have a decent preseason with the Outlaws. He would go on to find a scoring touch; notching 12 goals and 11 assists during the teams preseason. He played most of the time on the second line and seemed to be settling into his new role well. He was itching for the season to start as the big day slowly approached. After talking with his GM he was set to begin his pro career.

Anaheim's First Posse:

Gibbles began his inaugural season on the Outlaws with a big showing, taking an early lead in rookie scoring across the league. This effort would not go unnoticed by the Anaheim GM as he was moved to the first line halfway throughout the season. He had found some great chemistry with a newly acquired Derek Bohne. Along with Bohne, Hiro Fujikawa would round out the BFG Line that Anaheim had assembled. The BFG Line would continue to rack up the points past the halfway point into the final 3rd of the season. Gibbles was leading the league in rookie scoring and having the time of his life. Sadly the good times would not last as his production would slow down as they reached the playoffs. No one could figure out what was causing this slowdown in production as the team finished 8th in the standings following a messy last few games. Gibbles fell to a tie for 7th in rookie scoring and felt like he had let the scoring title slip out of his hands. He decided to steel his nerves and focus on his game for the impending playoffs. Anaheim was not predicted to make it past the first round in their match-up against Halifax.

Having been relegated to the second line Gibbles seemed snake-bitten in his first playoffs only scoring 1 assist in 5 games. Halifax seemed to have his number as the Anaheim Outlaws would be eliminated in 5 games. Taking the early elimination in stride; Gibbles turned to the weight room to train and prepare for the future. With the SHL draft quickly approaching; Gibbles wanted to be prepared to make himself stand out to the drafting teams.

We are fast approaching draft day for the SHL and Gibbles had a short comment he wished to provide the media. We wish him the best going forward and hope to follow his career for many years.

"I want to make an impact for whatever team drafts me. I am expecting to still be in Anaheim next season unless my new team really needs my skills. I want to be a franchise player. I want to be someone the fans know and connect with. I want to be synonymous with whoever drafts me for years to come."

Grant Nugent ~ GR Gazette ~

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  Grizzlies  

Messages In This Thread
Season 45 Retrospective for Collin Gibbles - by SpartanGibbles - 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM