Create Account

Adding Transparency to Hiring Process

07-24-2019, 11:14 PMgrok Wrote:
07-24-2019, 10:50 PMiRockstar Wrote: But as part of the process, of being an HO, you're confided in to pick the best candidate, correct. And I am not going out there and saying you're not doing so, based on your decisions, you are always picking the best one, but on WHAT information. If you're not willing to follow-up and you're not willing to really get down to the nitty gritty and if one measly 4-5 question questionnaire determines whether I get a position or not, there is way too much left in the dark unless someone asks me otherwise. And sure, people could take the initiative to message you after they apply, or do something to follow-up on their own, but quite honestly that's not the point, again revolving back to IRL, we're not expected to follow-up with an interview, they follow-up with us.

I just think there needs to be more that goes into the process, outside of the actual application it's all chatter behind closed doors between whoever is apart of HO, or even in other positions, whoever decides who gets whatever position is being applied for. And again, this isn't a knock at you, or anyone else at not doing their job "right" or whatever, I just feel like it isn't being done... effectively? For lack of a better word, and I am not saying that in a harsh way, I just can't seem to find a better/suitable word for what I am trying to say, lol.

I'm most interested in the idea that we are "unwilling to follow up" here. The issue is not that we are unwilling to follow up. The issue is that we only follow up when we need to. For every job opening there is at least one application that takes the "measly 4-5 question" application form and goes above and beyond, answering the questions appropriately and in depth, with great insight into not only the league but the team they're applying for. There are truly great applications every single time we post a job hiring.

We are perfectly prepared to follow up with candidates. I said it before; when a hiring decision gets very hard or very close, we'll reach out with additional questions or to open dialogue with two more more candidates still in the running. I love when I get to do that, and get in the weeds with someone about what they really want to do with a team. The issue is that the application is a filter, and usually it filters down to one. We are almost always able to quickly identify which candidate is the best choice and go with them. And results show. Using this system for hiring, only two SMJHL GMs were dismissed in the last ten seasons. We're hiring quality candidates and, at least as of late, willing to let hires go when it is clear they are wrong for the team.

I'm actually very curious about which ways HO should act like a business and which they should not act like a business in. It seems to be something you go into here. That we should act like a business and reach out to every individual who applies, but we also should be transparent about our hiring process. If we were really acting like a business, we would safeguard our hiring process as though our livelihoods depended on it. It's terrible business to reveal HR processes to non-HR, non-executive people, even if they're in your own organization. If I was a HR rep, I would never offer to tell someone why we passed on them as a candidate. But I don't think we are a business, which is why I'm extending my open door to people who feel they didn't get a fair shake, or who want some additional information about their candidacy compared to the eventual hire.

I really do want people to understand why we make the decisions we do, but there has to be a compromise that we cannot reveal information about the application process that creates risk for individuals. We just can't weather the idea of giving a retrospective to every candidate, especially those who didn't ask for one and don't want to know. And we just don't have the time to do individual interviews for every candidate for every position, especially when in the last week and a half we've put up three positions, run the lottery, prepared our state of the union, opened up a press conference, continued working our initiatives for S50, hired a brand new commissioner, began draft scheduling, supported the recruiting team, and maintained the day-to-day operations of the league during playoffs. 

That's why I'm honestly begging y'all, just talk to us before you try and light us up on the site. Please. We will answer and help you as much as we can.
This is a great response and all, but what are we supposed to do with all these pitchforks and torches we just bought? Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adding Transparency to Hiring Process - by Winter is Coming - 07-24-2019, 11:27 PM