Create Account

S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began

Before heading up to Winnipeg to begin Season 55 of the SHL, rookie netminder Strom Chamberlain was invited back to his old high school in St. Louis, MO to speak to the student body about achieving their dreams.  Here is an excerpt from his monologue.

Quote:...I couldn't afford to go to an Ivy league school, or even one of the Big Ten schools with decent hockey programs.  In college, I was good as a Goaltender and even made All American my sophomore year.  Like most college players, I had big dreams of playing in the SHL, but while others received calls from team scouts and started setting up contracts through agents...my phone remained silent.  I won't sugarcoat for you the feeling of absolute anguish that I went through by the time my senior year happened and seeing teammates of mine get calls for the SHL draft, or playing overseas in IIHF...getting paid to play the sport they love while I remained here, my only fallback plan was the education and degree I was going to receive in the spring.  I didn't give up though.  I was able to play a couple years on local teams, however, I had become complacent knowing that as each year passed I would never make the dream happen....until it did...

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began - by Chevy - 07-27-2020, 09:27 AM