Create Account

S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began

A funny thing happened at the LeGrande household last Saturday. While mowing the lawn, a big SUV pulled up to the house and a couple of suited men climbed out. Both wearing dark sunglasses, I thought I was having a flashback to some “Men in Black” movie. As they approached Mr. LeGrande, they looked intimidating to say the least. Then, they stopped walking towards him, took a stance and didn't say a word. Guy was wondering what the fudge are these guys doing and what the fudge to they want. Right when Guy was going to engage with them, the rear door opened and out popped a very young man. He trotted over to Guy with a smile and said, Mr. LeGrande, would you please give a short talk at the Jean Grey School for gifted youngsters? Shocked by all the tension and drama of the apparent body guards, Guy was relieved to here those words. Guy grew up at that school, being gifted at certain physical features only his hairdresser would know about. “ I would be honored” Guy relied, and they loaded back up and took off.

With a week to come up with something clever and interesting to say to a bunch of highly gifted youngsters isn't easy. Guy figured that they were interested in his hockey career and how I fit in with the general public. So that's a start, Guy could wing it as he ran down that topic path.

Well the day came and sure enough, the same “Men in Black” came knocking at the door. I guess they didn't think Guy could drive or forgot the way. Who knows, saved the gas money and had two wordless body guards taking him to deliver his amazing speech.

Guy wanted into the main hall, a bit nervous, to rattle off a bunch of something that might turn into something of a speech. As he walked in this massive room, there was a surprise waiting for him. That young man was the only one in the whole room. All he wanted Guy to do it show up and talk hockey. Well the stories were told and the kid was happy as can be. Even the suited men were laughing at some of the off color stories Guy was telling. I think the best part was when Guy told the young man that it's okay to be different, it's okay to not be like others. Be who you want to be and make the best life you can.

Guy was driven home by the suits, this time they wouldn't stop talking and asking questions about the SHL. Guy was glad for that event to be over but had a great time with only one person from a private school wanting to talk to him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began - by Steve - 07-28-2020, 01:00 PM