Create Account

S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began

Okay, so I've been in Anchorage for a season now and played in the WJC and got drafted to the SHL. Two weeks ago my comprehensive school, Kämmenniemi, back in Tampere reached out to my agent and wanted me to go out and chat with some kids. Of course, I can't say no to that opportunity to speak to some kids. When I arrived, I brought a bag full of signed pucks, t shirts, and a few sticks to give out to kids. Being that this was my first public speaking since I kind of "made it", I was really nervous, even though it was just to a bunch of kids. I feel like they're even harder to talk to sometimes, especially kids under 10.

My speech actually went well, I threw in some decent jokes about playing hockey, threw some pucks around to the kids, gave some t shirts out, took pictures. It turns out those kids are much more apt to listening when they actually get something in return. There was one kid in particular, Jaspa, who seemed really shy when we were talking, even more shy than most Finnish kids are. I made it a point to go over and talk to him and see what his deal is. It turns out he loves playing hockey, but his older brother makes fun of him for playing. So I made sure I gave him a stick, a puck, t shirt, and told him it doesn't matter what his brother thinks. Brothers will be brothers, and if you keep practicing every day, you'll prove him wrong some day. I called my Dad afterwards, who played for the Tampere LIIGA team, and got the Jaspa, and his family tickets to the game the next day where I would show them around and give them the VIP tour.

I know it's only one kid, but sometimes that one kid needs more attention than anybody else and it will make a huge difference in his life. Only time will tell, but I told Jaspa to write me letters and keep in contact. I hope to see him on the ice in 10 years in the SHL.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Messages In This Thread
RE: S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began - by Wearingabear - 07-30-2020, 10:23 AM