Create Account

The SHL Goalie Logjam Explained: Message to HO

09-23-2020, 03:34 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-23-2020, 02:43 PMcharlieconway Wrote: Mandate at least 12 games a season for backups. Also, consider having them on their own contract tier system, so we don't get to the twisted (and IMO inevitable) point where teams will be hurt for having a high TPE starter.

Yeahthat

We should definitely have something prepared for a potential goalie logjam but let's not get too aheard of ourselves either. Right now this concerns exactly one player who has done a lot to alienate various people around the league in the past. I would argue that there would absolutely be room to fit him insomewhere, it's the willingness to make room for him that is missing around the league. And while I don't really have any issues with him personally I think it's fine that this situation exists, that there actually are consequences for once regarding bad personal conduct. It's somewhat unfair that it hits one guy now when so many people have gotten away with similar or worse stuff in the past, but I for one don't think we need to overhaul a huge part of the league because of one insular case.

I quoted charlieconway because I think his suggestions are the ones that would actually do the most to fix potential problem without going for a complete overhaul. The OP brought up some good points too as did fisherr but honestly, I don't think the situation is as bad as a lot of people make it sound right now. It's not that unusual that there are more Goalies in the pipeline somewhere than we will eventually have room for, the same is true for Skaters after all but during their journey through juniors we are bound to lose some people. We couldn't fit in all those Skaters either if they all stayec active. But it's good that we actually have more people in juniors now than we will need later at the SHL level, it's a reserve, a buffer that the league needs to not run into shortages.

When looking at honkerss list I don't quite draw the same conclusion as him, because this is what I see:

Teams that have exactly one active goalie (who could, as good as he is, retire or go inactive or ask for a trade at any second, leaving them goalieless):

8/18

BAP
NEW
MIN
TEX
WPG
ATL
NOLA
SEA

Teams in a good spot, with one goalie and one other in the pipeline:

6/18

TOR
LAP
MAN
CGY
HAM
TBB

Teams with an actual logjam (3 or more):

4/18

BUF
SFP
EDM
CHI

This isn't a league-wide logjam.

Almost half the league only has one goalie and only four teams have what could be described as a surplus, but even some of them still have time to marinate some of their goalies in juniors. It could well be that those numbers will change soon with more people coming from juniors but so far this hasn't happened. I would argue that the raw numbers aren't the problem here and that stuff like a goalie-to-skater change isn't really necessary. Although, while I don't like it from an immersion standpoint, it also doesn't really hurt anyone so I probably wouldn't be completely against it either.

The real issue here is the other point that honkerss touched upon, that goalies do not matter (enough) in FHM. This is what we need to take a look at, be it through changes to the goalie update scale or other measures. Also I am a huge proponent of making the backup position or 1A/1B splits more viable, which could be achieved by charlies suggestion of a separate goalie cap and more mandatory back-up games.

The main issue which you are not addressing is that no one wants to be a backup. That in itself creates a positional logjam. And no goalie will want to be a goalie if they're playing 25 games a season. It's frankly not worth the tpe & time & shl money investment.
Side note: if you think i'm going inactive on BAP you're smoking some good stuff.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The SHL Goalie Logjam: Message to HO - by Zoone16 - 09-23-2020, 03:42 PM