Create Account

The SHL Goalie Logjam Explained: Message to HO
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 04:23 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

09-23-2020, 03:42 PMZoone16 Wrote: The main issue which you are not addressing is that no one wants to be a backup. That in itself creates a positional logjam.  And no goalie will want to be a goalie if they're playing 25 games a season. It's frankly not worth the tpe & time & shl money investment.
Side note: if you think i'm going inactive on BAP you're smoking some good stuff.

Well right now barely anyone has to be a back-up because there is no logjam.

And with the suggestions I quoted plus maybe some other stuff we could make the back-up position a lot more viable, creating actual battles for spots between the posts within teams. This could gives us a lot more situations like one where a young player enters the squad at 700 TPE, playing the minimum number of back-up games, but then he keeps developing and demanding more and more games if the GM doesn't want him to go to FA and try to get a starter spot elsewhere. At the same time it would give the starter some extra motivation to keep pushing because he sure as hell doesn't want to give up any of his starts. This could lead to a bunch of interesting player and roster management decisions. Do you go for two goalies who battle it out, risking some drama but also potentially getting two very valuable assets out of it and giving you the chance to play the hot hand in the playoffs, or do you stick to one starter, avoid the drama but take greater risks in terms of cold streaks and inactivity/leaving? Do younger goalies prefer to be patient and wait it out as a back-up at their team or try to jump shit early on to prove themselves as a starter elsewhere, maybe on a weaker team? There's a bunch of stuff like that that we could see open up with changes to the system.

09-23-2020, 03:42 PMhonkerrs Wrote:
09-23-2020, 03:34 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: The real issue here is the other point that honkerss touched upon, that goalies do not matter (enough) in FHM. This is what we need to take a look at, be it through changes to the goalie update scale or other measures. Also I am a huge proponent of making the backup position or 1A/1B splits more viable, which could be achieved by charlies suggestion of a separate goalie cap and more mandatory back-up games.

Appreciate the write up RED but thinking we can fix goalies in FHM isn't the solution because they only have so many stats and it doesn't matter much anyways. My main argument for the logjam, and why I set the tiers of teams as I did, is that there will be more than enough 800-1200 TPE goalies to go around for any team to pick up whether they go IA or whatever happens. I've done FHM tests where even in extreme cases 2k TPE goalies on JUNIOR teams have marginal effects so fixing the scale won't help unfortunately. Smart teams aren't going to care what your TPE is past the 1000 range and that is honestly being pretty generous to stay positive when I made that assumption

Thanks for doing the research on this, if this is the case then I absolutely agree that we need to look into this and consider changes. It's just different from the "logjam" argument that has kinda started this discussion and that a lot of people are still making.
I for one think that this could still be absolutely solveable within our current system, be it through the update scale or other measures. Goalies already operate on a separate (and easier) update scale, there is no reason we couldn't work on a fix through that scale. If the difference between lower TPE and higher TPE goalies isn't big enough, wouldn't it be a very simple solution to make the scale harsher? If 1000 TPE goalies are too strong compared to 1500-2000 TPE goalies, couldn't we fix that with a scale that makes it a bit harder to actually be an above-average SHL goaltender than seems to be the case nowadays?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The SHL Goalie Logjam: Message to HO - by RomanesEuntDomus - 09-23-2020, 04:07 PM