Create Account

S57 mPT #2 - the hall of fame where is it

There's plenty of factors to choose from when considering the location for the SHL hall of fame; historical relevance, hockey culture, tourism, accessibility. However, the only fair way to pick a location, and the entire criteria for my decision, is equidistance from the 18 cities in the SHL. That's right, all the important factors that go into the decision are thrown out, strictly for average location. And with an average latitude, longitude of 40.95265, -93.4456, the great honor of hosting the SHL hall of fame goes to Union, Iowa - basically an empty field about 50 miles south of Des Moines. Cleary this approach was a resounding success, as I couldn't think of a more exciting, hockey-relevant, desired hotspot than Des Moines. As a side note, it turns out when you pick the average location of 18 teams spread out across 2 continents, you end up in almost the exact middle, who would've thought. 

[Image: unknown.png]

To make it a little more interesting, if we do the same thing as above, but make it a weighted average based on each cities population, our new geographical center shifts slightly southwest to 39.43817, -95.0854846. This now puts us about 45 miles northwest of Kansas City. While that's still not exactly a place ripe with SHL, or even hockey history, I think it's a better compromise than the first way. So in this strict location-based decision, we're building the Hall in KC.

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

Messages In This Thread
RE: S57 mPT #2 - the hall of fame where is it - by juke - 12-13-2020, 05:24 PM