Create Account

New user thoughts

Now that I have spent a few days working on my player and getting to know people in the simulation hockey League I feel like I now have a better idea of what is expected of a player here so I have decided to do a new media stating my impressions on this league. Do not take anything i saw here as "destructive criticism", because i know very well i still do not have the full picture yet, but maybe my new player bias could help in avoiding or changing some stuff that makes the experience harder.

As some of you might know this is sim league stuff is pretty new to me. As a non- North American it was in late 2019 that I have discovered these type of leagues, when I created a player in the international simulation football League. I honestly believe that there is nothing like this currently in Europe so it was a big surprise for me when I discovered that there are thousands of people in simulation games just like this one. To make it even funnier I have met my fair share of American people during my life and none of them told me about these setups.

So, to get a few more bucks (and maybe raise my draft stock) i have decided to tell you about my first impressions about the league, in no particular order. And since the setup here is fairly similar to the ISFL, that is what i will mainly be using as a baseline.

1) Player Creation is nicely done. While i have no idea about what stats do in the sim, i think the creation part is fairly simple. Obviously i requested some feedback on discord to a couple users, but in the end, it was all pretty straight forward. And after checking the excel documents with the archetype pros and cons, everything is very clear on what i should focus on, which is good.

2) I am not really a big fan of the "free agency" process if you sign up after the draft, but i understand the appeal of that. Instead of you being picked on waivers by some team you might not know anyone in, you get to choose, so you can come into the game and play alongside your friends/acquaintances if you want to.

3) Bank stuff looks great. While i still did not use it a lot yet, the fact that you do not nee to rely on an excel sheet is great. I am Head Banker in the ISFL and i love the job to be honest, but having a portal for all the purchases makes it easier on the user base. No idea how banking works on the "inside" though, but it is probably easier for bankers to track stuff using the portal, not sheets.

4) One negative i can find is that tasks are not shared by SHL and SMJHL. It makes it unnecessarily hard on new players to track what they can and can't do for TPE. Is the TPE distribution different for both tasks? If not, why not use the same threads, with different prompts clearly stated? Even if the TPE rewards are different, just put them on the same thread. I am on discord and the bot posts every task, but then i get to the forum and some are not for rookies.

5) Media and tasks, rookie tasks in this case, do they take a lot to get graded? I have no idea if it is common for media to be sitting ungraded for a week, if there is a specific day where graders do all the grading, but from my experience as a PPT member, the quicker, the better. People do things in game and want to see the result as soon as possible, to be able to buy stuff or even because they just want to see their bank account grow.

6) I like the twitter rules. I really do. Only 3 posts, with mandatory #shlhockey tag (makes sense), plus 3 interactions a week and you make enough money to be able to buy weekly training for +3. Seems very reasonable and it is a very easy way for casual earners to at least get TPE in a way that they can really help their team.

For now, that is all i can remember.

Again, just a few thoughts from a new user here, mainly for the media money, so i don't want to rub people the wrong way.

And thank you for all the welcomes.

Messages In This Thread
New user thoughts - by Opera_Phantom - 06-30-2021, 09:18 AM
RE: New user thoughts - by ACapitalChicago - 06-30-2021, 10:03 AM
RE: New user thoughts - by Opera_Phantom - 06-30-2021, 10:08 AM
RE: New user thoughts - by Segi - 06-30-2021, 11:38 AM
RE: New user thoughts - by DrunkenTeddy - 06-30-2021, 12:20 PM
RE: New user thoughts - by golden_apricot - 06-30-2021, 12:26 PM
RE: New user thoughts - by fishy - 06-30-2021, 04:13 PM
RE: New user thoughts - by Opera_Phantom - 06-30-2021, 05:07 PM
RE: New user thoughts - by Kyamprac - 06-30-2021, 10:53 PM
RE: New user thoughts - by Opera_Phantom - 07-01-2021, 06:02 AM