Create Account

GMing in the SHL: An Investigation (Part 2)

05-25-2022, 01:43 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
05-25-2022, 01:26 PMbrickwall35 Wrote: Shortening the season sounds like a horrendous idea. All your doing is inflating seasons and I would 100% enjoy the league less because of it. GMs already feel overwhelmed (at least some do), and forcing a shorter season isn't going to magically make the feel less overwhelmed. 

I understand where you're coming from, but if I wanted a sim league where I barely had to do anything, I'd go join some other league that already does that.

No disrespect, but reducing your workload by half shouldnt mean "barely any work", else we wouldnt be talking about how much work it normally is.

I really do think GMs are simultaneously wanting shorter seasons AND more time to do work. You guys, the call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE. Make the work less worth it and it wont need to be done (and on the other hand, if you rebuild you wont have to sit on your hands as long)
I'm too lazy to reply to multiple posts so I'll do it all here.

I don't think a 4 week season would solve any issues, yes more time is always nice but as a current GM a 4 week season sounds like hell. It's too crunched to be able to effectively plan long-term. HO set up an 8 week season (Just extended to 9 to try and help drive engagement on WJC/IIHF) and I think thats a perfect timeline in regards to being able to GM effectively.

In regards to testing, yes it still happens but, at least on SFP, not on that high of a level. We (toast) ran 20 tests at the start of the season, and would run about 10/20 if anything needed changing during a slump. In the playoffs, he only ran those same 10/20 tests if games weren't going well to see if a fix was needed (probably happened 3 or 4 times in our last playoff run). So roughly 50/60 tests and we made it to game 7 of the West Finals. Testing may still be an issue but at least in our experience we aren't running 500 tests per playoff round.

Finally GM chat. I didn't want to GM again in large part due to GM chat and my experience last time. Yes there are still people in there I would rather not speak with, but good news you don't really have to if you don't want to. It's a much better environment, I'm sure in large part driven by WBF working on fixing what he knew was a problem in there (Also don't compliment stinky HO too much PB). 

Does the league still have problems? Sure. Every sim league does. But with a new sim engine on the way and a new commish at the helm I can honestly say things are at least trending in the right direction. Out of the big 4 two of them are really struggling this year, so it's finally looking like new blood will be at the top, at least for this season. 

I do always appreciate your thoughts PB and I truly hope you are still enjoying life and your time away (That new farm looks badass)

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Messages In This Thread
RE: GMing in the SHL: An Investigation (Part 2) - by Bfine - 05-27-2022, 08:59 AM