Create Account

SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2023, 11:38 AM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

It’s time for another SMJHL News hour, with everyone’s favourite host Spidey! We got a less busy one this week then the previous week but still plenty to talk about and report. Let’s get things started with the latest moves in the SMJHL.

Transactions:
Some how I missed this one last week but the Vancouver Whalers have signed Ryan “Quinoa” Quintana – Green. Mr. Quinoa is a medium sized 6ft 200lbs two way defender. He is talented in the offensive department with a great pass and a good shot all while being good in the defensive department as he understands plays unfolding around him and reacts quickly to it. Coming to us from Florida and making up ground in lost training time quickly. It could be another great rookie steal from the Vancouver Whalers.

This week Nevada Battleborn “Hail Satan” um excuse me that just kind of slipped out. Brought in another undrafted rookie defenseman. Brock Samson! A little Ironic the Devil loving Nevada brought in the Biblical hero Samson, but hey who am I to judge what goes on in Sin City. And just like his biblical counter part Samson is a monster of a man who defends his territory, 6’5” at 218 lbs. Samson is a solid all around two way forward able to both defend well for a rookie and provide an all around offensive game.

Finally the Regina Elk said they wanted in on the undrafted free agents, and made an offer one undrafted star could not refuse. Bringing in left defense and future star, BOHO BISCUIT! Boho billed as a 6’2” 230lbs defender will make life difficult for most forward. He is a two way talent but leans heavier on the defensive side of the game. A good shot, and solid pass is nothing to ignore. But he really excels in his own end.

It appears there are still a few more undrafted free agents trying to find a home so we could see more action in the next few days as the season moves forward. We will keep a close eye on the following prospects and where they may end up:

David Anderson – Left Defense
Joshua Sjodin – Left Wing
And perhaps a possible return of Johnny Shuffleboard or a close family member.

PUNISHMENTS:

No league punishments this week. EVERYONE GETS A GOLD STAR! Keep up the hard work and keep it classy.

Well other then the punishing beat down of Vancouver Whalers in their 12 – 2 loss against the Carolina Kraken, and as the provincial rivals of the Kelowna Knights this reporter is taking an unbiased moment to reflect on how good of a game this turned out to be.

Vancouver came out of the gates with the first goal of the game 23 seconds in. All was looking good in V-town. The crowds were cheering, the streets flooded with chants of Whalers, Whalers, Whalers. Champagne started to pour, and city council was planning the parade route and just purchased fireworks for the 13th Four Star Cup Celebration. 13 second later it all came crashing down.

Carolina scored 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9, 9 unanswered goals! In 24 minutes, *double checks notes*…yep that is correct. Vancouver finally managed to *heh heh heh* save face by scoring one more goal. Before the Kraken finished the game with 3 more for good measure before coast the final half of the third period.

Derek Martin feasted on beluga as he scored 4 goals and 2 assists, with a 73% face off winning percentage!

This was the widest goal difference so far this season!

Like I said completely unbiased news reporting here. Moving on…

BIGGEST SHOCK OF THE WEEK!

Sorry Vancouver, not to beat a dead horse, but Vancouver who was sitting comfortable in a playoff spot in the first 12 games have crashed back to reality and loss 5 straight games putting them in the middle of the pack. Each loss was a tough blowout. When they finally picked up a win it was also a blowout. I do hope that is a turning point for the Whalers.

CONGRATS:
Derek Martin, the man has been on a tear this week. With his efforts he has climbed to the top of the goal scoring race with, oh my god, 18 goals and leading the point race with 32 points through 19 games! This guy is a monster having a monster season. Currently 4 goals up on his next closes competition (2 of 4 chasing him are his teammates!) By the way, he is doing this incredible feat and he is NOT leading in the shots or shooting percentage category!

Secondly to Tummy Hurts, splitting starts as a goalie is never easy. Its hard to find a grove and be consistent. Yet Tummy Hurts has been killing it! 8 games played and leads the league in GAA 1.62, save percentage 0.936% and second in goals saved above average 8.45! Another monster season so far and a big reason the Berserkers are doing so well this year.

AND SORRY:

To the Vancouver Whalers, I didn’t start this by singling you out this week, it kind of happened while writing this. This team does have the capabilities to perform at a much higher capacity then we have seen. They have an amazing core of rookies coming in right now, unfortunately having a lot of young players can cause large ebbs and flows in how you work as a team. I see big things coming for this team (that is a tough pill to swallow) and I am sure greatness will be there in the future.

DAMN we are closing in on 1/3 of the way through the season, and we are starting to get a feeling of those making the playoffs this year:

Cup Contenders:
Main Timber
Newfoundland Berserkers

Playoff Bound:
Nevada Battleborn
Carolina Kraken
Colorado Raptors
Great Falls Grizzlies
Detroit Falcons

Playoff Cusp:
Vancouver Whalers
Kelowna Knights

Fighting For A Spot:
Yukon Malamutes
Anchorage Armada

Outside Looking In:
Regina Elks
Quebec City Citadelles
St. Louis Scarecrows

There is still a lot of season left, anything can and will happen and we will keep you up to date on all the important happenings going on in the league. Like Vancouver Whalers loosing.

Oh and before I forget for good measure, The Maine Timber suck. Unbiased reporter Spidey signing off.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Messages In This Thread
SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2 - by spidey - 04-04-2023, 11:29 AM
RE: SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2 - by Whikadoodle - 04-04-2023, 11:42 AM
RE: SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2 - by HabsFanFromOntario - 04-04-2023, 12:53 PM
RE: SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2 - by mee - 04-08-2023, 11:24 PM
RE: SMJHL NEWS HOURS #2 - by Wally - 04-09-2023, 07:53 AM