Create Account

Has Parity Improved: An Analysis of the FHM Era of the SHL

05-22-2023, 09:07 AMhonkerrs Wrote: GMing comes down to basically 3 things you have to be good at....scouting, trading, and tactics.

1) Scouting you can't really teach and if you really need help on how to talk to another human being you probably shouldn't be a GM
2) Trading.  If you really need someone to tell you by now that anything after the first couple picks in the 2nd in the 20 team era are almost completely useless then I don't know what to say.  Too many GMs are giving away retention or saving people from cap hell for pennies.  If your excuse is "well someone else would do it", then it's probably not a great idea, esp for a useless pick.  I'd rather lose a player in FA then give retention and help another team to get a useless pick....esp for the teams who can't even scout well. Maybe the solution here is to get rid of retention contracts would be a start.  But the rest you can't really stop stupid sadly
3) Tactics.  People will claim theres a meta but its really just a copy cat league, just like the NHL.  I truly believe theres a lot more metas to be discovered , just no one has found it yet or has the guts to try things (mostly cause we can't test but even then people didn't really).  I really like there is no testing now but until FHM gets rid of being able to see teams tactics , people just gonna copy as we've seen already.  Maybe to inspire teams more , HO can allow GMs and their team the ability to fully re design their TPE builds once or twice each season.  It's either that or people get builds assigned randomly to them each off season and GMs have to figure out how to make it work.  No, not archetypes, those would just create a meta too (and good luck finding a balancing committee) please no one suggest this for the 100th time...

Luke's right though, there are far too many teams tanking and then tanking with bad decisions on top of it.  Maybe a way to incentivize making playoffs would help too...NHL teams are incentivized cause they make a lot of money if they do make it in...here we got nothing

I think everybody knows that these are 3 key factors to gming but this did not answer my question whatsoever

[Image: izzy.PNG]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has Parity Improved: An Analysis of the FHM Era of the SHL - by aleks - 05-22-2023, 02:05 PM