Create Account

S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza

6. Team History
I know history isn't everyone's favorite thing to discuss, but a team's past can really define its identity, what its known for and who they are in the present. Tell us about your team's past! Have there been any franchise defining moments that are integral to your team or even SHL history? Conversely, is there some interesting tidbit that not many around the league know?

Back when I joined the site, the Kelowna Knights were truculent. This was a physical team that fought but still played with enough skill to trade chances. It had legendary, famous, and infamous players don her green and gold. But THE franchise defining moment was winning 3 straight 4 Star Cups to open the S40s. They are the first team on the site to do it. To me, that is huge. Even if it has been so long since then. Now, Kelowna is still feisty but they were the lowest hitting team in the league. Also the least penalized. Kelowna is a hard working team now that excels at stealing the puck off of the other team. (117 words)

12. On the Radar
Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a journalist covering the prospects of the S73 SHL draft class. What do possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it comes to potentially drafting your player?

Pre-Draft Outlook: Brooklyn Physt 5'11" 162lbs Defense.

Exerpt from a pre SMJHL Scouting report: "Brooklyn is a smooth skating, left handed defender with explosive speed. Relishes in the freedom to bring the puck into the offensive zone, utilizing her strong puck handling before either dishing smart passes or rifling her own shots.

Solid play in her own zone with both the drive and understanding that it will need to be improved before making the show.

Strong and pugnacious. It should come as no surprise that the daughter of Bruising blue liner Richard Physt has a mean streak that has played a hand in her ability to out compete young men.

Her final year she scored 26 goals and 59 assists in 58 games for the Kitchener Kings. Teams won’t want to wait long to pick up this young offensive powerhouse to help run their power play."

These things have proven to hold true for Brooklyn who is a smooth and strong skater who loves to bring the puck out of her own zone. Possesses high hockey IQ to remain positionally sound. She is not afraid to be physical but prefers to use her speed, positioning, and active stick to take the puck off the opposition. Her 28 points in her rookie season in the SMJHL were 4th amongst rookie defensemen. Cresting 100 shot blocks and hits show an all round game that has been able to be translated to the SMJHL and bodes well for the future. The +/- suffered due top being tasked with shouldering the load for minutes. Being asked as a rookie to lead the team in Ice time speaks volumes toward her work ethic, maturity, and leadership skills. Management trusts her highly both to handle the pressure and come up big when it matters most. For the most part well disciplined but willing to fight, having collected 1 fight this season. With Brooklyn you are getting a future top pairing defenceman who will be a workhorse logging minutes, strong in her own zone, with a strong offensive upside. Should be a challenger in the future for the Scott Stevens and a key piece for future championship aspiring teams.
(362 words)

13. Superstitious
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SMJHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your player believe in them? Why or why not?

I don’t think I have ever heard of that kind of superstition in the SHL. I’ve been here since S38 and the only things I can think of are that certain people in certain discords have their own personal superstitions. That said, I am a Mariner by trade and we are a superstitious lot. I just remembered 1 SHL superstition that has transcended STHS and into FHM. NEVER EVER change your attributes when your player is playing well. The number of people who swear by this has astounded me in each of my 33 full seasons. (117 words)

14. R&R
It's almost officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make it past the first round of the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. Tell us how you're spending your time this offseason, whether it be with family or friends.

Brooklyn is probably going to spend time enjoying her summer in ways she usually does. Working out at the outdoor home gym that her father made. Swimming in Lake Simcoe and sun tanning on the beach. Keeping and riding horses on their ranch as well as throwing haybales. Time for sure will be spent in and around Kelowna with the team. British Columbia has some of the most beautiful natural environments for someone to explore. Talk about team bonding opportunities. Of them, hiking and camping are fantastic ways to relax and get away from all the noise of where she might be drafted to and at what spot. Who is in the running for a smart, fast offensive defenseman with a knack for picking players pockets. Time will tell. (129 Words)

16. Goals
Although your career may still be in its early stages, it's still a great time to think about the future. What are some goals you have for your career, or some personal goals for the site? Are you striving for a HOF induction? Getting a site job?

Both the space before the SMJHL Draft and through your rookie year, culminating in the SHL Draft make for a wonderful and exciting time. Most players are looking ahead to how they want their player to play, where they want their player to play, how they are hoping to do. For me, i'd love to finally have a Hall of Fame player. To do that, gotta get more frequent award nominations as well as winning the Challenge Cup finally. Its a thing I have yet to do in what will be 6 years this November. As always for myself, I strive to have my players play the style of game I thought about having them play. For Richard Physt it was this Big, Mean, Physical, Defensive Defenseman designed to shut down the opposing team and allow the rest of his team to do the scoring largely. Brooklyn is kind of the opposite. More flashy and offensively inclined, while using positioning and an active stick to strip people of the puck. (170 Words)

17. Feedback
For recreates, how was doing this new version of CW compared to the old one? Was the experience better, or worse? How were the PT changes? For first gens, you can also talk about your experiences with PTs in general too this season!

I have to be honest. One of my most favorite tasks from the old Champion's Week style PT here was the four series narrative blurbs. You could do up to 4 at 50 words a pop per TPE. They felt just immensely attractive because the threshold for word count was such a low and inviting bar. (50 odd words)

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Messages In This Thread
S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Pyro182 - 08-29-2023, 07:25 AM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Fluw - 08-29-2023, 08:09 AM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by MrPresident - 08-29-2023, 09:46 AM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Rtpc31 - 08-29-2023, 11:06 AM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by CloudRobot - 08-29-2023, 04:25 PM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Leafs4ever - 08-29-2023, 11:00 PM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Saucetonia - 08-30-2023, 02:54 PM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by Tylar - 08-30-2023, 07:55 PM
RE: S72 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza - by karey - 08-30-2023, 09:53 PM