Create Account

S70 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 06:08 AM by Matteo. Edited 2 times in total.)

0. ISFL Affiliate, 3 TPE

1. Trivia, 3 TPE

Verification: Jammin

3. History Repeating, 3 TPE

I've been fortunate to have had a long and successful career in Chicago so far, so there are a few highlights I can look back at and hope for a repeat, with the big two being winning the McBride and of course the Challenge Cup. While winning another McBride would be nice, I think those days are behind me, and even if they weren't I'd much rather making a run for another Challenge Cup. Winning it as a team with the locker room going too fast to read every game is so magical, definitely the pinnacle of not only the site itself but the whole SHL experience as well. To be able to share in this moment just one more time with all of these crazy, hilarious, amazing friends that I've gotten to know over the years in Chicago may be a lot to ask for given just how lucky I've already been to have had the career I've had, but it would just be the best way to bring it to the sunset.

6. Haiku, 2 TPE

I want to be good,
Please let me have one good year,
It has been so long.

7. Milestones, 3 TPE

Milestones link

17. Procrastinator, 2 TPE

I will say I'm surprised that New England was able to win the cup, especially after starting the series down 2-0, but before the series started I did call that it would go to game 7. Before this series the Wolfpack had only seven game series and Winnipeg had every series length but seven, so it was bound to happen. I always like an underdog (no pun intended) so I'm happy for the Wolfpack for bringing home a cup, although I do feel for Winnipeg, coming up short after finishing in the top two of the league in the regular season for the fourth season in a row.

3+3+3+2+3+2=16

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 08:58 PM by eddiesnothere. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Trivia Word: retriprocity
2. Grab Bag
a. I think when you look at a team that was able to get more balanced offense out of an entire line, a team is definitely going to be thinking of the possibility that the sweet right might end, but it's always in a team's best interst to continue what's worked, as opposed to shaking up a team just before their biggest stretch of the season.
b. Some players can be stopped, some players can't. Teams cannot simply leave their playbook to be dictated by one player. At the end of the game, the best player on the ice usually doesn't play more than 22 minutes a game. that leaves at least 38 minutes to win the game. You win those 38 minutes, whatever happens in those 22 minutes isn't going to matter as much.
c. Goalies obey the laws of physics: a goaltender that is hot tends to stay hot. For New England, ensuring that they can continue to rely on Karsikko to make the big plays in their own end, keeping them alive, then they should consider staying the course, and looking to keep offensive pressure on Montagne.
d. Sadly I can't say to the best of my knowledge, which team would get the better of the other in the best-of-seven series, due to circumstances out of my control that make my opinion one that does not fit the spirit of the question posed. In short, it happened, so my point's not valid.
3. History Repeating
Hai Nam Hoang's career is a short one so far, but it has already been filled with a good many events that prove his career will be a bright and promising one. Hoang got off to a hot start despite the Monarchs' lack of success, scoring his first point and first goal in consecutive games. These two games, both tough losses, were punctuated by Hoang getting his historic first tallies in the league. His success was celebrated in his home country, the first Vietnamese-born hockey player in the SHL got his first points early and went on to lodge a solid rookie season, with 21 goals and 46 points, finishing 5th in Monarchs' scoring. His achievements and his solid play have turned heads, as although he is not a contender for the Rookie of the Year title, he has established himself as yet another young star in the making for Minnesota.
5. Blood on the Ice
People are right to not count out wolves for this battle of woodland warriors, but I do have to give this battle to the bear. While speed is on the side of the danger-pupper, bears have them completely outclassed in strength. Their bulk has power, and many bears can deal serious damage with their claws and body, using their solid speed to close the distance on unsuspecting prey and cocksure predators. Their jaws are incredibly strong, and when they have you in their mouth, they will not let go even for their own sake. The battle between a wolf and a bear is not a fair one, as wolves are more effective predators in packs, able to overwhelm their opponents. Alone, the wolf may score a wound or too, but the bear is too strong, too large, and to vicious in its own right. I give this fight to the bear, by knockout, in five rounds.
6. Hopeful Haiku
Second time's the charm
we will be back to fight again
take our pound of flesh.
7. Milestones
Claimed 2, 2 TPE

[Image: TRVzgUB.png][Image: dEdEwDx.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2023, 05:09 AM by Katth. Edited 5 times in total.)

1. Trivia - 3 TPE
Katth

2. Grab bag - 1 TPE
d. Winnipeg should have won the final, because New England got in the final on sheer luck beating the Montreal Patriotes. New England should not even be there, but it is what it is. They had the sim gods on their shoulders looking over for them and Winnipeg is left to try again next year.

3. History repeating - 3 TPE
My current career is quite young, so there is not many things that have happened that I would love to see repeat itself, but in a previous life I used to play for the Calgary Dragons. With the Calgary Dragons I lifted the cup once and it was a breattaking series win over Tampa Bay in a 7 game series. During that game 7 I scored 2 goals (one of which was the game winning and series winning goal) and hit the post in the dying seconds to almost have scored a hattrick. The lifting of the cup I would like to repeat in Montreal with the Patriotes, because this is a hard working team that has been hurt in the post seasons far too often in the last few seasons. It would be the ultimate crown on a lot of peoples hard work and effort to make this team a cup winning team.

4. Dream series - 3 TPE
I do not think there is a single person or player I would really love to hoist the cup over and gloat in his face about it. I do not have any of this sort of rivalry with any other player on this site. I just want to hoist that damn thing again and it does not matter who we beat for it. It can be an easy series or a hard fought series, as long as we win the cup eventually. Winning the cup is the ultimate price and we are trying our best to achieve that, but so far without success. There is always that damn sim engine getting in the way of our dream and give us playoff hurt instead. I just can not name a single person or team I would really like to beat to win the cup, it does not matter as long as we win it.

5. Blood on the ice - 3 TPE
In the battle of the brands I have to go for a win for the wolfpack over the bear. For the wolfpack it is a team effort, they have speed and are ferocious. The bear however is solely relying on his strength and mass. Even though the beer is not slow by any means, the wolfs are faster and speed is in their advantage. For the wolfpack to bring down the bear they need everyone in the pack to work together because they lack the strength to bring down the bear easily. It will be a long fight and I believe because the wolfpack operates with multiple wolfs will eventually outlast the bear and tire him out and eventually make him give up. At that point the wolfpack will finish their kill and start munching on the precious flesh of the mighty bear that once was.

Wolfpack takes the win in a long lasting fight.

6. Haiku - 2 TPE
Montreal will lift the trophy
Biemans is a beast on the ice
Jeff Darr will be proud

7. Milestones - 1 TPE
Link

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 06:14 PM by Good_Ole_Kimmy. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Gungi
3/16

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku  (5 words min.)
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.
Score a lot of goals
Hopefully win a cup
Jolmi Koivu rules
5/16

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, History Repeating (150 words min.)
Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?
I think the high point of my time here on the Simulated Hockey League had to have come a few seasons ago on my player Noah Andros, a defenseman that was picked up from free agency my the Manhattan Rage. When Noah Andros played for the Manhattan Rage we ended up winning the cup in S52. IN S52 the only reason that Andros was picked up and added to the Rage was because I was friends with Luke, not because Andros was a good player that was not on a team. I think that winning another cup would definitely be something that I am striving for again, and is a realistic goal when you look at the team that is building on the Hamilton Steelhawks. This time however, I hope to be a more contributing member on the team rather than just the depth piece veteran dman that Andros was. I hope in the future than Jolmi Koivu can be a star on the Steelhawks for seasons to come. (169 words)
8/16

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (150 words min)
Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!
If a big strong bear god and a bunch of smart wolves were to fight, it's hard to say who would win. The bear god would be really powerful, and might be able to overpower the wolves with its strength and magical abilities. But the wolves are smart and work together as a pack, so they could use their teamwork and hunting skills to take down the bear god. It's possible that the bear god might be too strong for the wolves to handle, or the wolves might be able to outmaneuver the bear god and bring it down. An important factor that also needs to be considered is where they are fighting. If the wolves are fighting in the bear gods domain (Winnipeg(Hell)) then I would say the wolves have no chance because it would be too cold for them. It really depends on the specific abilities and strengths of each creature. But ultimately, it's all just speculation and we'll never really know what would happen in a fight between a bear god and a wolf pack. (178 words)
11/16

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Thread +3
14/16

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?
In my opinion the best thing this season in the Simulation Hockey League playoffs is that the Hamilton Steelhawks not only made it into the playoffs, but we also took them to six games! To me this is a clear sign of improvement over the last couple seasons where we would either not make the playoffs, or just get wrecked. I also am happy with my players production, he was third on the Steelhawks in points for the entire team. Hopefully next season Hamilton will be able to make a deep run, and Jolmi Koivu will score more goals while doing it. (102 words)
16/16

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

CW pass

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2023, 11:52 AM by hockeyfan. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: hockeyfan

Code:
Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?

There are a few different things that happened to my former player, defenseman Harvey Danger, that I hope happens to my new player, defenseman Ace Lightning. First, playing on an SMJHL team for two seasons with decent playoff performance has already happened for both players, but an SMJHL championship alludes me. I would like that to happen first. But for Danger, he was on the SHL All-Rookie Team in his first season, and as a defenseman, that's pretty good. I think that is attainable, especially after a full four seasons in the SMJHL. Danger played on a Texas team which did not have much success in the playoffs, but Danger had great offensive success in the regular season, which I hope continues for Lightning. In order for this to happen for my new player, I am going to need to be on a strong team, which is what Toronto should be once all of the prospects graduate to stardom. Also I need to hit the gym. (166)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (150 words min.)
Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly.

The Newfoundland Berserkers have been the thorn in the side of the Nevada Battleborn for at least the last two seasons, so they are a natural rival to me. We just came out of a hard fought 7 game series where Newfoundland was up 3 games to 1 before Nevada came back to force a game 7 that went down to the final period. Unfortunately, Newfoundland won that and went on to sweep Maine in the final to win the championship. I would love to get my hands on the Berserkers next season to show them that we are for real and should be feared! It would be huge for the club, because Newfoundland has been used as a measuring stick since I've been here, and once we finally slay the beast it would do so much for the team in general. I would also love to score a few goals against fellow North Stars prospect Rhett Carpet to keep him honest! (162)

Code:
S71 Milestones - +3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3357590

Code:
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.

I hope to score goals
Many, many, real good goals
Highlight reel goals.

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

I was very surprised by New England winning, mainly because I haven't paid attention to the SHL in the least. Wasn't Philadelphia or Montreal or even Winnipeg supposed to win? Has New England ever won? It is pretty cool when new teams win, because it gives hope to everybody else. Seattle sweeping through the first two rounds only to lose in 5 games to Winnipeg was pretty crazy, wasn't it? I didn't even realize New England won every single series in 7 games. Was this the greatest clutch performance in league history? Amazing. I am hopeful next season is just as fun and exciting, because I liked it! (108)

This should all equal 16 TPE.

Code 1. 3tpe verification: stick

Code 3. 3tpe The best thing to happen in my career so far just occurred. I won the four star cup! This was the culmination of my junior career, and wow what a way to go out. The chances of me getting another with this player is, well zero, as I am graduating to the big league. As this is my first player, it is quite the feeling to be able to pull that off knowing you can be around for years and multiple players and just never get the chance to win it all. The next quest will of course be winning the challenge cup. The best way to go about this is just focusing on doing the best you can. Get that tpe, update, and hope it all comes together with everyone else at the same time to make and then get through the playoffs. And a little bit of luck, as that is a big thing in hockey. 158 words

Code 5. 3tpe This has to be the closest finals fight. A lot comes down to how many wolves is this pack, and how 'god' is this bear. To make it any sort of fight, you have to make the bear killable, or what is the point. Type of bear has to be polar as it is Winnipeg it is cold. Plus that makes it the most dangerous bear. Next is how many wolves are in this pack? This is pretty much where we determine the winner and loser. In my mind a polar bear could probably beat 3-5 wolves depending on their size and hunger level. According to google wolf pack sizes vary from 2 to 15, so average that to 7. I believe 7 wolves beat the polar bear, although they will suffer some losses. If you make the bear glowing that could help it out possibly blinding some of the wolfpack, but I can't see it turning the tide enough to win the fight. 164 words

Code 6. 2tpe
Lester Oiduser
Moving up to the big league
Challenge cup time

Code 7. +3 TPE - Milestones

Code 17. 2tpe It seems like every season the tried and true Winnipeg team faces some fresh new upstart and loses. This season had the same formula. Maybe it would be been nice for them to win one after all these seasons of dominating near the top with their core. Unfortunately for them that is not how hockey works. Especially sim hockey. Just for a change of pace I would have liked to see them win it, it can get disheartening being a top contender for so long and always coming up that little bit short. The craziest part of New Englands run was the fact that every series went 7 games. That is a lot of hockey. 115 words

16 TPE total

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 01:09 PM by lilstifler. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Verification word: lilstifler

Code:

Definitely one of the best things that's happened is debuting at some level. There are two more levels where I can make my debut, both of which are at the senior level. One of them is the adult level of the SHL and the other is the IIHF championship, in which the debut will definitely have to wait until at least the next season. Hopefully the debut at these levels will turn out to be positive and there will be no negatives or trauma, which I'm quite afraid of because I don't want to get seriously injured. I'm definitely ready to make my debut at these levels and I hope it works out in good conscience. Two more seasons at the junior level and then you have to take a step up. I can definitely predict that it won't be easy, but with my attitude and work force, I can achieve a lot, and I also need to improve my performance in the juniors, because I was born as a leader. [171 words]

Code:

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones +3

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! How far do you realistically expect to go this year? What nations do you want to match up against, and which do you dread? What are your expectations for your player?

How I like to predict different outcomes. To be honest, I haven't been able to follow the IIHF lineups quite a bit, but I think that even without it, I will be able to make predictions, because I saw new trends last season, which definitely show the direction of the future. Let's start with the teams that will definitely fight for medals. I think it goes without saying that the national teams of Finland, Sweden and Canada are once again the ones who are called to be the winners of the main trophy. Some unforeseen cases will happen, but one of these teams will definitely be in the TOP3, if not all of them. And if we talk about the last ones, the Latvian national team, the small surprise of the last tournament, will certainly fight for survival, but we can also expect a miracle. The Russian national team will definitely join this team, and France will also try to surprise. In addition, the USA will be forced to climb out of the big hole in which they have fallen. (180 words)

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?
c. Olof Karsikko has made 823 saves in these playoffs, nearly twice the number of saves made by Winnipeg's Rebecca Montagne. What can New England do to help their tendie out? Or should they settle on a strategy of allowing their goalie to face a high volume of low-danger shots to get in the zone and stay hot? Alternatively, how can they rattle Montagne?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. In my opinion, even one strong inning can set the overall tone of a team. And that's why I believe that Winnipeg is definitely stronger with such a whole shift, and not just one forward who pulls the rest. Now, if one is not playing the best game, then each subsequent one can pull the previous one forward, which definitely gives an advantage. (63 words)

b. I think that the main thing for such leaders is not to allow them to shoot at the goal and to press more. Then they immediately start to worry because they cannot do what they are used to doing. It is difficult to stop such leaders, but it is definitely worth thinking about the defensive game in order to do so. (61 words)

c. Blocking shots can definitely help. However, to be honest, you shouldn't go overboard with blocking all shots, as this can endanger visibility. If we are talking about the opponent's goalkeeper, then visibility must be covered. The game in front of goal is not easy, but it is necessary. You can't live without it. (53 words)

d. I haven't followed this championship closely enough to be able to make a prediction, but I definitely want to say that both teams can win the championship title. The key is to play your game and make your opponent make mistakes. I can only wish that both teams play beautiful hockey in a way that will be something to remember. (60 words)

16/16
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 10:23 PM by Wheels. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:
Bender (3 Points)

Code:
Philip Fry, a dedicated hockey player, yearned to reclaim the championship's glory. He remembered the exhilaration of lifting the coveted trophy high above his head, the taste of victory lingering in his memory. Determination coursed through his veins as he trained tirelessly, honing his skills and pushing his limits.

Fry's desire to win burned like an unquenchable flame. Early mornings and late nights were spent on the ice, perfecting his shots and sharpening his agility. He studied the game, analyzing strategies, and seeking ways to elevate his team's performance.

Through setbacks and challenges, Fry remained undeterred. He drew inspiration from past triumphs, using them as fuel to propel him forward. The vision of his teammates celebrating in unison, united by their shared victory, fueled his relentless pursuit.

Every practice, every drill is infused with an unyielding hunger for success. He instilled his unwavering dedication into his teammates, fostering a bond that transcended the game itself.
(155 words)(3 points)

Code:
Deep within the mystical forest, a glowing bear god named Lumos reigned supreme. His radiant fur emanated a powerful luminescence that guided lost souls and brought harmony to the land. One fateful night, an ancient prophecy foretold a battle between Lumos and a mighty wolfpack led by Fenrir, the Alpha Wolf.

Lumos possessed the ability to summon celestial flames, creating fiery shields and scorching blasts. His roars echoed with divine power, disorienting his enemies. As the wolfpack lunged, Lumos unleashed a torrent of blinding light, scattering them into confusion.

Fenrir's pack was no ordinary adversary. Each wolf possessed extraordinary strength and agility. They howled in unison, creating a chilling resonance that shook the ground. Their leader, Fenrir, had the power to control the elements, summoning gusts of wind and freezing temperatures with a flick of his paw.

As the epic clash continued, Lumos fought valiantly, weaving through the onslaught with grace. His flaming claws sliced through the air, repelling the wolfpack's assaults. Fenrir, undeterred, conjured a tempest, but Lumos summoned a barrier of radiant energy, shielding himself from the icy assault.

Ultimately, Lumos' divine might proved indomitable. He unleashed a blinding wave of celestial fire, engulfing the wolfpack in an awe-inspiring display. Fenrir, the last to fall, yielded to the bear god's overwhelming power.

With the wolfpack defeated, Lumos stood triumphant, his radiant form illuminating the forest once more. The land celebrated the victory, and tales of Lumos' epic battle echoed throughout the ages, reminding all of the glorious fight between the glowing bear god and the mighty wolfpack.
(259 Words) (3 Points)

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku
Defensemen Phil Fry
Movin' up to the big time
Challenge cup time
(2 points)

Code:
Milestones (3 Points)

Code:
In the realm of ice and thunder, the Newfoundland Berserkers skated their way to the Four Star Cup championship. Their ferocity on the rink was unmatched, their blades slicing through the frosty air with precision. Led by Captain Lester Oiduser, their thunderous shots echoed through the stadium, while our goalie guarded their net like an impenetrable fortress. The team's unity was their strength, their passes seamless as they outmaneuvered their opponents. With a final powerful slapshot from Fry, the crowd erupted in thunderous cheers as the Newfoundland Berserkers claimed victory, hoisting the Four Star Cup high, forever etching their names in icy glory.
(103 words)(2 points)

16 Points

1. Trivia

coffee

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
i think it is much better that the aurora were able to spread out their scoring this season. their offense running through rashford made them much more easier to stop (one man teams can only go so far) so a much more balanced attack makes them a harder team to beat.
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?
you shut svoboda down by trying to take him off of his game by any means necessary. i don't care if you trip him, punch him, call him as many mean names as you can, whatever. throw him off of his game and the wolfpack won't be able to back him up. make him sad and he'll stink - simple as.
c. Olof Karsikko has made 823 saves in these playoffs, nearly twice the number of saves made by Winnipeg's Rebecca Montagne. What can New England do to help their tendie out? Or should they settle on a strategy of allowing their goalie to face a high volume of low-danger shots to get in the zone and stay hot? Alternatively, how can they rattle Montagne?
yes, olof karsikko has been going karsicko mode but new england needs to start shutting the shots down. karsikko can only play so well before he starts getting fatigued from all of those shots he's facing so the defense needs to start clamping down. as for rattling montagne they just need to get pucks on net. same argument applies - try to tire her out.
i think new england wins. the aurora might have a much more balanced attack and more playoff experience having made the finals last year but i still don't think they have IT. i think the wolfpack have IT (and by IT i mean a stronger team), therefore i think they will win the series.

i am going back all the way to mitchell van der heijden's career. and i think you will all know what i am talking about. we're not talking about all of the cup wins. we're talking about my s60 season when i scored 49 goals, 99 points, and won both the awards committee and people's most valuable player awards. that season was the best of his career, and the 49 goals, believe it or not, were an SHL record at the time which is absurd when you consider how much scoring has grown across the league since then, only 10 seasons ago! it would be awesome to have a season with regazzoni where he sets the SHL record for goals in a season, so all i would have to do is shoot the puck. a lot. like the most a player has ever done in a season. then i'd have a decent chance.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (150 words min.)
Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly.

i am not going to talk about my beloved simulation major junior league franchise the anchorage armada here. i want to talk about hamilton, because i am getting called up to play for the steelhawks next season. and i think it would be a dream for us to be able to beat the new orleans specters in the challenge cup finals (well, for me at least). why, might you ask? didn't you win a cup with the specters against the steelhawks no less? yes, yes i did. but i think it would be nice to turn the tables in this situation and give the specters a taste of their own medicine by scoring an overtime winner to end their season and give the steelhawks another cup and another banner to hang from the rafters. it would be very very fun for me to be able to do this. i can't see us making the finals next season but sometime down the road, i think we'd all love to beat the specters in the finals.

Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

i'll start off by saying that i don't like this prompt but i think milestones will be a massive letdown this season so i want to get my 16 tpe in. anyways to the actual stuff - i think the fight would obviously be fought in an open grassy knoll in the woods with a shit ton of protective measures for all of the spectators willing to pay $50 and bet on whether or not a bear would beat a group of wolves. there would be no rules because why would there be rules? nature does not have rules. the fact that you even think there would be rules is absurd and i think you're dumb for that. but this isn't a contest. last year, the bear should have won but got burned by a fucking metal forge because it doesn't have balls. so the wolves will tear the bear to shreds. if you can't beat a literal forge, you don't deserve to win this. plain and simple.

16. Written, 3 TPE, Home Turf (150 words min.)
Rotating host countries is expensive and politically challenging. Local governments have to maintain sufficient arenas to host an event that comes around once a decade and popular sentiment is changing against olympic-style sports in general. We may have to pick a permanent home for the IIHF! Naturally, this should be your country, so state your case as to why your country is the best candidate to permanently host IIHF!

switzerland would be a dream host for the IIHF world championships. sure, you have the US, canada, finland, and sweden. but fuck em. switzerland is so much better. here are the reasons why
1. switzerland has hosted numerous international sporting events including the world cup and the winter olympics. we have experience.
2. switzerland is a beautiful and safe country with lots of stuff for you to do when you're not playing in the world championships. lots of chatelets, sexy mountains, and fondue for all.
3. we have the facilities. switzerland is known for having a great domestic hockey league with state of the art arenas that are constantly kept up to date because they get use. it's easy to see why, with a bunch of elite arenas. that switzerland should be the permanent home of the international ice hockey federation's world championships. give us it please we'll pay you a bunch of money for it (it's the FIFA way and fifa is, of course, based in switzerland)

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2023, 05:36 PM by golden_apricot. Edited 1 time in total.)

+3 TPE - milesstones

Trivia: cum (3)

2a. The Strength of the Aroura came mainly from one player yet again, it just happened that most of these points came after a tactical change that was performed when others in the league were out performing the Winnipeg players. It does not make them a stronger team, rather it suggests they might still have the same weakness.
b. You don’t shut down anyone on the wolfpack. If you get this team on their heels they will always standup and make a come back. Do not go to game 7 with these guys or else they will find a way to win the series and you will be sent home sad and crying. We learned that the hard way and so will Winnipeg.
c. No need to help out the goalie. Let him stand on his head and go Karsicko mode. It has worked to this point and he does not seem to be fatigued so this is a great thing for the ability of the wolfpack to take the series. If they did make a change to shut down Winnipeg it might be taking a page from the Forge book.
d. New England wins this one. Winnipeg is overrated in a weak ass Western Conference. The team is untested and honestly mentally weak top to bottom. They are kings of the choke and I expect noting different to occur this series. It might go to seven similar to the last three wolfpack series and they are experienced so they will take it.
(over 50 words each, 4 tpe)

3. Nothing good has happned yet in this players career to be fair. But that being said it has only been two seasons and all of those were in the minor leagues so its not that big of a deal right now. In the future it would be cool to win a bunch of cups similar to what my last player did. Since that was really the only thing I accomplished on that player doing it again would be a cool thing to see happen. Additionally I made the all star team in my last season in the SHL prior to retirement which was a nice thing to happen. It would be great for that to happen again but I am not holding out for something that level to occur. Beig on the Forge is somewhat helping the cause as of now with the team scoring at an incredible pace but that might not continue into the future. (155 words, 3 tpe)

5. The bear god is an overrated entity that does not do anything good for society and is worthless. Now a Wolfpack is something that can care for an ecosystem by keeping forager numbers in check as they are a predator. So what would you rather have? A useless god who does nothing or a pack of wolves whos sole purpose is to keep the number of deer down to allow for the growth of other things in the greater ecosystem. Personally I am going to take the wolfpack. Also have you seen wolf teeth? Way sharper than the fake teeth on a bear god that may not even be able to make contact and touch things because fuck me if I know how gods actually work. This seems like a no brain choice and the only people picking the Aurora must be brain dead. Wolves take this series and this battle in 7. (153 words, 3 tpe)

17. I could not be more happy for the wolfpack to win this cup. From a team building standpoint I am not a fan of the load up and hold out for a window boom bust team building style that seems to be what happened a bit in Winnipeg. Also Luke winning a cup building a team he was more or less forced into managing is peak comedy. The style it occurred in also was huge for the league as a whole showing parity at its finest two seasons in a row, with the top TPE team losing out to a team with much lower TPE. Great for the league. (107 words, 2 TPE)
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 02:34 PM by NorwegianDemon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

norway

Code:

Code:

You live and died by your best players. You want them to be better than the others team best players and play them together against the other team best line will mean they will have the control over the series. The main downside is the pressure that will be put on them might be too much.

56 words

Code:

The first thing would be to play less game, New England has already played seven more games, which is a whole series, more than Winnipeg during these playoffs. But, considering New England got to the final this way, I don’t think they should change anything about the way they play and hope that their goaltender can carry them for another four to seven games.

64 words

Code:

I would absolutely love to play in another final and win another championship. Unfortunately, these days, we can’t get past the second round which is starting to get quite annoying. It happened a couple of years ago with my current player. Our team has been close to the top of the league for a couple of seasons before we finally made it to a final. We had to start by learning how to lose and what kinds of levels of effort we would need to give to finally made it thought. We also need a bit of luck, which I feel is something every championship team needs and get even if they will try to make you believe otherwise. We are still one of the top teams in the league as of this season and I think we have good enough players to be able to win another championship, hopefully, we can get a bit more luck going our way next season.

162 words

Code:

S70 Milestones 3 TPE

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE, Home Turf (150 words min.)
Rotating host countries is expensive and politically challenging. Local governments have to maintain sufficient arenas to host an event that comes around once a decade and popular sentiment is changing against olympic-style sports in general. We may have to pick a permanent home for the IIHF! Naturally, this should be your country, so state your case as to why your country is the best candidate to permanently host IIHF!

I think Norway would be the best country to permanently host the IIHF tournament in the future. The first reason is that Norway has not traditionally been a hockey market. This mean that holding the tournament in this country could have huge benefits to the popularity of the sports in the country which will help create new fans who could benefit the sport as a whole. The second reason is that Norway, being a Nordic country, as a generally cold climate which means he could be equipped to hold outdoor games during the tournament if it is something that the IIHF wants to explore in the future. The third reason is that Norway is a country that has a lot to offer in terms of entertainment and outdoors activities which means teams will have plenty of options to occupy their off day and it will be the same for the families of the players who decide to accompany them which will give them things to do other than watching games.

170 words

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

There was definitely one massive surprise during this year’s playoffs and it’s the New England Wolfpack performance. I don’t think anyone expected them to make it to the finals and they ended up winning the championship by playing the highest number of games you can (28) during the playoffs. I’m really happy to see that we have a new team winning the title. Outside of New England’s performance, the playoffs when close to what I expected, in the west, we got the same two teams again, Seattle and Winnipeg, playing the conference, while in the east, all the expected team made it out of the first round.

107 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

GM CW pass

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
 [Image: 5tu6.png] [Image: bdzv.jpeg]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 01:47 PM by Keven. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

math

Code:

At a certain point, a team can't really find success from every single player on the ice. Having a reliable top line is much more important than finding increased scoring from multiple lines. If your superstar players can consistently put up big points, having a deep roster can get you further, but won't have as much of an effect on the team as the top players putting up insane numbers of points.

Code:

To shut down Svoboda, all you have to do is shout things on the ice about how much better team Japan is than team Czechia. Everyone who knows Petr knows that any mention of the IIHF is his weakness and will send him into a spiral that will completely take his mind off the game.

Code:

Sometimes it feels like the more shots a goalie faces, the hotter they get. I see nothing wrong with keeping the strategy going of allowing a high volume of lower quality shots to keep the goalie playing well and prepared for those higher quality shots. On the other side, since Montagne hasn't faced as many shots, if NEW can generate a high volume of shots themselves, they might be able to rattle her.

Code:

I think Winnipeg wins this series. They've spent four consecutive seasons at the very top of the league and their roster is a tier above everyone else's. Of course this doesn't always lead to a championship win, but NEW has taken every series to 7 games so far while WPG has dealt with these playoffs with much more ease so far.

Code:

One of the best things that happened in my career was winning the Four Star Cup in S58 with the Quebec City Citadelles. The playoffs are a very special time of any season, and reaching the cup finals and winning was a feeling unlike any other. I have not yet been able to replicate that success in the SHL, with 8 first round exits, 2 second round exits, and 2 third round exits so far. Now that my player is deep into regression, I'll have to rely on the strength of my team as a whole to give me a chance at success once more. Even just reaching the cup finals once, win or lose, would be something to look forward to at the SHL level and would be a nice way to remember and re-create the success that QCC had in S58. The Challenge Cup is the only major award missing from my resume so I'm very eager for playoff success to happen again.

Code:

We want to win games
Regression makes that tougher
Our team is so old

Code:

+3 https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3357984

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

Similar to how most seasons are in FHM, the top 4 teams are often easy to predict. I wasn't really expecting NEW to win the cup though, as they've now become the lowest seeded team to win the championship in the FHM era. They were 6th in the regular season, and no team lower than 5th had won the cup at least since before S53. On one hand, it's very exciting to see the relative underdog win the cup again, but on the other hand, I feel bad for Winnipeg who has been one of the top two teams for four seasons in a row and hasn't won the cup in any of those four seasons.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate