Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

ISFL affiliate

Prompt 1 

When Fox McCloud calls Jimmy Wagner into his office this week, Wags is more than ready. A creative mind at heart, Wagner has constantly looked to push for innovation in the game of hockey. One of the fastest and most dynamic athletes to grace the fastest sport, Wagner has spent the last decade pushing the metagame of the sport with his speed and vision. Jimmy is immediately on board with plans to once again change the SHL, this time with elevation and lobbed pucks. We've started to see pucks played over the goal from the trapezoid, and high clears out of the zone have been a staple of modern hockey, and Jimmy begins laying out a system that includes high outlet passes resembling something seen in the ISFL to beat the oppressive forechecks in the SHL combined with some aerial passes and shots resembling that of baseball or basketball for capitalizing on 2v1 breakouts.

155 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Prompt 1: As I am too lazy to check from the rulebook and it would take most of the fun from the writing I think I will ignore all the legalities and have team start to set up the rig to roof of the arena. It will have several rails that allow player to be moved above ice so they are not technically on the ice thus no penalty for too many men. I'd say that three set of rails starting from Texas bench going to both ends of the rink so they can help around in both offence and defense. They would personally only have to move their stick around while moving in such position that they should be able to reach the ice and assistant coaches would control their movement above ice from the stands. This trick would likely be fixed after the game so it should be saved for some important game 7 or match in cup finals.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

HOCKEY PROMPT

I do think trick plays are being done in hockey in general, but the sport does give some limitations. One example I have is the alley-hoop play where the defense in their own end just send the puck high up in the air making it tough to see for the opposition that are not expecting this type of play. The forwards know that this play is coming and is instead focusing on building up enough speed to break away from the staggered defense and pick up the puck when it falls down back on the ice in the offensive zone. They do not even try to follow the puck in the air during this play because they know where it will fall. Another type of trick play is the amount of variations the Zorro-goal (technique from floorball) allows the team to have, either faking a goal behind the net and moving in the opposite direction, passing to another player in the opposite flow of the play, lobbing it in front of the net etc.

One of the main limitations hockey has when it comes to these trick plays is the relatively small playing surface and the amount of possessional rules like offside and icing that limit the way players can act on the surface. If there would be more space and less rules on where the players and the puck can be during a play, I think we would see a lot more of trick plays being utilized.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

Kenneth Lind (S78-)

Tomas Lind (S57-S78)

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

creative prompt

The ideas have always been good for me, and now I have the honour of realizing any of them. I think the coaches would have to accept that the process of preparing a team for which special would not be too smooth and fast. It would take some time to prepare the team. If we're precise, it's definitely in my plans to teach the team how to skate beautifully. Or simply, we could play hockey with the elements of the figure skating that would surprise the opponent, and at the same time the spectators would also like it. The main weapon of the goalkeepers would be acrobatics, for who doesn't like it when the goalie catches the puck in his glove in a beautiful leap. It's all very beautiful, but it certainly would take at least a year to turn this show into reality. And I suppose there would be more ideas in my head.

Toms Zīle - young talanted latvian goalie

Creative Prompt

I would bring my skates to a blacksmith and he would plate them in gold so I would be all shiny in the ice. I would also go and see my engineer friend who would strap tiny rockets at the back of my skates that would activate when pressing on a button with my heel. When i'd go on a breakaway, i would activate the tiny rockets and it would look like fire is coming out of my gold plated skates. I would also start to wear a quality wig with an insane flow. Kaapo has short hair so it isn't flamboyant, but a Jagr like mullet ? That would get people talking for sure. If you combine it with the gold plated skates, that is an awesome combo. I still feel like there's something missing to have a proper highlight reel moment, so after I score, it would be insane to have the team mascot jump on the ice from the rafters and come and celebrate with me. That would be a good way to get people talking and would make a nice highlight reel.

185 words

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

While the one power has formally been banned in the SMJHL, there are ways to use it without anybody knowing. Being literally the only male channeler in the entire world possibly but Rand could do literally whatever he wanted without fear of repercussions. The plan was simply, heat the ice under the opposing players skates to make them be trying to slog through an abysmal slush type ice while simultaneously using the one power to freeze the ice under our teams skates. So far this season, it seems to be going very well, with the zerks off to an absolutely commanding first place season, Rand yet again on pace for a point per game, Mikko Rashford setting up to be the all time SMJHL point leader for defensemen, and Vic Denizova just still be absolutely horrifically garbage even while we blatantly cheat. So yeah, the play I'd draw up is really just convincing Ham to let me cheat when we need to.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

The trick play that the coaches and I have schemed up involves three things.

1) A standard, NHL-regulation hockey puck
2) An unsuspecting opposing goalie
3) 500g of mayonnaise, in packet form

The plan is as follows.

First, one of the players gets into a fight. Not a big one, just a fight. Maybe you're a little chippy all game, maybe it's a single big hit. Whatever the reason, fight.

Next, while there's a distraction, the centre snaps his stick "accidentally" and "in frustration".

The new stick he's given has mayonnaise packets hidden underneath the tape on the stick itself.

Now, all you have to do is wait for the centre to get a pass down low and boom - explosive, messy surprise that will surely allow the puck into the net.

Will it get caught? Maybe, who knows.

Will it have the media talking about it for years? Yes.

(154, prompt 1)

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

The Montreal Patriotes sent mangement and the top line of players to a secret, underground research facility in northern Quebec to develop the perfect play. With them went a team of elite hockey scientists, ballet choreographers, physicists, a 2 Michelin star chef, and a cardboard cutout of Kevin Bieksa. Hours and countless cases of beer later, their hard work paid off. 

forged in the crucible of the worlds only NHL-sized ice sheet inside a wind tunnel, the Montreal Patriotes created the ultimate hockey play to shock and astound, disgust and excite, and certainly to piss off Torts: the Latvian Luge.

Leading Goal-Scorer Kriss Darzins gets the puck, and then Roderic Banes and Zdenko Beranek, the strongest and fastest forwards, link up behind him. they put their sticks together, and each grab hold of the makeshift bar. Darzins sits down on the sticks. Banes and Beranek propel Darzins down the ice like pushing a bobsleigh, violating basic physics and dazzling the competition with their teamwork. 

In the event that Darzins fails to score a high-speed goal off of this insane rush, Banes and Beranek simply send him directly into the goalie like a Latvian curling rock, and then poke for rebounds.

[Image: banes.png]

Hockey prompt:

I don’t have much opportunity to actually watch the NHL or any other hockey league apart from the occasional olympic tourney. But from what I manage to follow from the internet highlights and media, I think that from a fan’s point of view you can never have enough trick plays. Clever and inventive plays that find a new and often also skillful way of doing something are always good for publicity and can be a great way to draw more new fans to the sport, not to mention wowing and invigorating the existing fanbase. Although it could sometimes turn out quite the opposite as well, if you reminisce back to for instance that time when that team (I forget the exact team and coach), started to basically stop the play behind their own net for extended periods of time just to run down the clock. I mean that was kind of a trick play as well, if you look at it from a coaching perspective… But in general, I think the more trick plays, the better! I think a big reason why you don’t see much trickery in the NHL though, is simply the largeness of the stage and the fear of overwhelming ridicule when your attempt might fail.

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

Affiliation ISFL

As a goalie, it's not often you get to try and be a part of a trick play. What can you possibly do? You can't skate with the puck in your glove, you can't skate past the red line, and even goalies with the best puck handling skills aren't going to be able to weave around even the worst of skaters. So what's left? Well, while players aren't allowed to use a goaltender's unique stick, goalies are allowed to use a player's stick. Usually you'll see this when a goalie's stick breaks or is pushed far away from them in the middle of the play. So, in theory, a goalie could "lose" their stick, be given a player stick by a player on the ice, and then that player can go grab a spare from the bench. But how does that help? Wouldn't pulling the goalie for a sixth skater be more advantageous? 3 versus 3 overtime comes to mind. In overtime, if a team pulls their goalie, and ends up losing via an empty net goal, the team does not receive the "loser point". So it's dangerous to try and get an extra attacker. However, if the goalie were to instead use a player stick, they could assist in a 4 on 3 breakout and try to catch the other team off guard. You often see the attacking team intentionally leave the other team's zone in overtime to quickly regroup, and that's where I see this trick play being attempted.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: YZjkK9Q.png]

Quote:Written Task: We've all seen the lacrosse goals, the attempts to flick the puck over the back of the net and in-- but these are few and far between. It might even be a stretch to call those things "trick plays." The only actual trick play I can think of off the top of my head is Ted Nolan pulling one over on Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics. That said, you almost never see this kind of thing happen in the NHL. Why not? Is there a lack of creativity in the game? Is it just too complicated without enough payoff? Why do you think we don't see much of this coaching style in hockey, and would you like to see more of it? (150+ words).

I think the biggest reason is that there's a high amount of priority placed on the safest play. Let's use an example. If you have a player screaming in alone on a breakaway, do you go for a trick shot with a high chance of being spectacular on the small chance that it works, or do you go with the tried and true forehand backhand deke? Sure, you love to see creative goals and they make great highlight reel fodder but it’s hard to swallow the heat you’d get as a player if you squandered a chance to even the game all for a chance to get fancy.

I think it comes down somewhat to culture. Hockey is a very conservative sport in its behavior and expectations of players. There isn’t a huge appetite for flamboyance and drama on the individual level. I do genuinely think this hurts hockey’s potential for entertainment, and on a strategic level this restricted kind of thinking may be keeping coaches back from finding ingenious solutions to tried and tested situations with little to no chance of succeeding.

As an example to end this prompt, consider the following: I remember Patrick Roy was a big instigator in changing head coaches’ mentality of when to pull the goalie. You had this guy that would empty his net with three or four minutes left in the third, with the norm being a minute and change. Why? Because it’s common to run out of time when trying to even the game up. Pull the goalie early, and you at least give yourself some leeway when it comes to the clicking clock. It’s fine if the other team scores on you; they could very well have anyway. But at least you lessen the chance of the attack petering out due to the buzzer sounding. That is something of a trick shot in that it’s a creative deviation from the norm, and one I think that has a lot of merit.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

WSBL Affiliate

[Image: crunksig2.png]