Create Account

S70 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 09:36 PM by Lime. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

lime

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?
c. Olof Karsikko has made 823 saves in these playoffs, nearly twice the number of saves made by Winnipeg's Rebecca Montagne. What can New England do to help their tendie out? Or should they settle on a strategy of allowing their goalie to face a high volume of low-danger shots to get in the zone and stay hot? Alternatively, how can they rattle Montagne?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. I think that Winnipeg is a really strong team with lots of talent and it is best to spread that talent out as much as possible because it is tough for the wolfpack to keep up pound for pound. They would have to get some lucky matchups to get an edge regardless of where the peg places its pieces on the board.

b. I think the easy answer is to just smack him in the back of the head with a stick but the more difficult and more real answer is to just smack him in the balls with the stick but its a tough target to hit when you're flying around on the ice.

c. Karsikko is going sikko mode and all you need to do is work on offense and let that guy eat all of the pucks for breakfast lunch and dinner. Montagne will crack under the pressure once she lets a few in and Karsikko is going stronk. No mind games will be necessary.

d. I think that the Winnipeg Bear persons should easily win this matchup, the wolfpack are tired coming off multiple 7 game series and their depth is lacking so their only strengths are their star players getting hot at the right time. Its scary to rely on things to just keep working out rather than having the experience and the patience of peg.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, History Repeating (150 words min.)
Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?

I hope that I can get a game 7 finals hattrick again. Ideally still with Buffalo as that would be a crazy way to end my career. Also because of the implication that I would be winning the cup based on that and I would get a second cup so that I don't look like a loser with only one cup when all of the cool people have like 2+ cups. I need tomen to buy a bunch of really good players and stack the deck because I probably am not gonna be able to do that without getting fed a ton and missing like 40 shots before the third one goes in. Its one of those things that will look good on paper but if you actually watch the game I was kinda floundering and getting carried hard. Regardless, 3 playoff goals are good for that stat padding and thats all I really got going on right now.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (150 words min.)
Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly.

After going 0-3 against the stupid steelhawks in the challenge cup finals I still have not had my vengeance on them. So I would like the steelhawks to git gud again just in time for buffalo to come back and cut them down and then head on through to the finals, even though we cant play them there anymore. It is always fun to match up against other s53ers that are still skating around so I think it would be cool to go up against sven svensson or jimmy wagner or one of those old farts that are still hanging on for another season. It would be a nice way to close out our careers and hopefully Buffalo takes the win because wagner has too many cups as it is and he doesnt need another. I guess this actually did happen this season though as we took the wolfpack to 7 with burlok sulfurgold and they eventually won it but he has too many cups now too and needs to spread the wealth.

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku  (5 words min.)
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.

It has been too long
The cup should be coming home
Before I go die

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

1 teep

Total: 16

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 02:33 PM by Z0REM. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Chill
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
- When your offense runs through one person it is much easier for the other team to target that individual player and shut down an entire offense. So I would say that WPG is much better this year than last year with the fact that multiple players posses high threat. Lets see if it does them any good.
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?
-The same way WPG got shut down last year. Put a few men on the guy and just keep him down with physicality and making NEW make sub optimal passes to him if they insist on going that route. It is not too hard to gun down one leader. If WPG adops PHI strategy from last season they should be able to come back and win this whole cup.
c. Olof Karsikko has made 823 saves in these playoffs, nearly twice the number of saves made by Winnipeg's Rebecca Montagne. What can New England do to help their tendie out? Or should they settle on a strategy of allowing their goalie to face a high volume of low-danger shots to get in the zone and stay hot? Alternatively, how can they rattle Montagne?
-New England already has a plan set in motion. If you look at their defense and offense the number of shot blocks have been insane. The whole point is that everyone gets together to put their body in front of the goal. This is a team sport and you have to put everything on the line for the cup. If the shot blocks continue on pace then its crazy to think just how many shots NEW has faced to get them this far. And where does that stop?
-Winnipeg should have it. They are overall stronger and took fewer games to get to this point. Their players should be hungry after failing to win the last two appearances but they have to contend with this New England team that has taken all their series to game 7 and just used pure GRIT to get them here.  It is going to get scrappy and I hope winnipeg can hang with the rest.

Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?
-I have had two players in this league and both players have won a cup with a team in the northeast. That being said, I had exactly one season with my last player where I went PPG and it was a great feeling to actually attain that in the sim. You watch as your player builds up the ability each season and you hope that eventually you will strike gold and get that legendary Point per game season where everything clicks. I was mostly inactive at the time, but was still following my player. Now as a defense player who is focusing on shot blocking and takeaways I will not have a  chance to reach that milestone with this guy, but my goals have changed. I want to block so many shots that my goalie can take a snooze in the middle of the game and come out winning. To do that I just need to bolster my defense skills and be ready to watch those numbers roll in.

5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (150 words min)
Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!
-A bear god is just a solitary thing. It could be huge, it could be ferocious, but it is alone. There is no one to watch its back. Last year it was an even match up, two giant creatures facing each other. This year it is no contest. I give this one to the wolves any day. The bear is just too big and too alone to handle an entire pack of wolves bearing down on it and overwhelming the poor god creature. It does not matter where you put this legion of animals to face the god, they will win. The bear needs space to fight and the more space you give the pack the more they will harry and harass the bear god until it just gives up and lays down to accept its fate. The only way the bear god wins is if the whole pack has to make a frontal assault, but then that would not be much of a fight. The wolfpack is stronger together. Aweoooooo!

Milestones 3 TPE https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3358015

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

1. Trivia +3 TPE

Verification: BeckGoesToHollywood

2a. Grab Bag +1 TPE

I think Winnipeg is stronger this year with the peak of the S62 class. Fantastic offense, defense, and goal. 250 some TPE more per player than other teams on average. But as we discussed, Winnipeg might be TOO strong to perform well in FHM. I feel like we just broke the game in a way where there are too many star players. 

2d. Grab Bag +1 TPE

Winnipeg should win because they are the vastly better team and honestly deserve this win more than New England. Has New England been the best team in the league for the past 6 seasons? But as FHM goes, New England takes the crown from the league king because FHM rewards teams with one superstar and punishes the team with amazing depth. 

3. History Repeating +3 TPE

For Marcel Beck, history has eluded him for the second season in a row. Winnipeg losing in the Finals for the second straight year is a gut punch to his aspirations to hold the cup. But he has confidence that his meeting with the cup is only delayed, confident in his team's ability to push further and further in the coming seasons. One thing he would like to see repeat is his name on an individual trophy at least once more. Beck won the Ryan Jesster trophy for best rookie in S63 and was nominated for other defensive awards in S68 and S69, but his trophy case is still lacking despite on ice success. If Beck can win a Bojo Biscuit trophy and get his hands on a cup, his case for Hall of Fame gets propelled from non-existent to there's-a-chance. He would love to see his face on a HOF trading card in the future. 

5. Blood on the Ice +3 TPE

If I completed this CW before the finals, I would have said Winnipeg would win this series 8 times out of 10. Winnipeg is the better team, has more depth, dominates in the regular season, etc. Heck, the Aurora were on a 30 win streak entering the second round. For some reason, though, FHM decided that it would be a great underdog story for New England to take the crown. Maybe it is just as you posited - maybe FHM relies more on the mascots of said team to determine the outcome. A bear, no matter how godly, probably doesn't stand a chance against a hungry pack of wolves. The fire of the Forge beat the heavenly bear last year and the numerous canines overpower the ursine beast once again. For the Aurora's sake, let's hope that the Tampa Bay Barracuda make the final next year because we know how fish fare against bears. 

7. Milestones +3 TPE

I'd be surprised if Beck doesn't get at least 3. He got like 8 last year.

14. WJC Analysis +3 TPE

I think SouthPaw will do a great job this year running the WJC tournament. I expect the powerhouses of USA and British Isles to come out strong once again in this tournament. I think we could see a real push from the newly formed Rhine Confederation (The remnants of domineering DACH). Some key teams underperformed last year like World and UCORCAL - I expect them to rebound this year and put up a good fight for a medal. As always, I am secretly rooting for North America to do well as that is my old stomping ground. The Scandinavian teams have been notably understaffed the past few years with a ton of random players assigned to Sweden and Finland. Norway is a part of World, but still not too many players represented. We need some more young Scandinavian stars to build up those bases. If I had to pick a winner? Maybe British Isles. 

17. Procrastinator Special +2 TPE

I want to first congratulate the Wolfpack on a win no matter how sad and salty I am that my Aurora didn't claim their cup yet. I would say these playoffs were generally vanilla, except NEW winning over WPG. One stat line and series that was absolutely bonkers was the BAP/ATL to start the first round in the east. ATL was sooooo unlucky in the first three games then rallied for a reverse sweep to advance. It would have been the upset of the century if BAP was able to sweep them because BAP had like a 150 PDO and a 30% Corsi. Still would have preferred Winnipeg win so everything would be right in the world. 

19/16

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post. (3TPE)

Verification: flubber

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply put you don’t you buckle in for the ride and hope to hell he has an injury. When a player is playing like that it is only an act of god that can truly shut him do- Oh wait New England just won. Well never mind I guess just go ahead and do that.
(55 words)

I am totally behind the ball here and shame on me for it. If you asked me this before the finals I would have had it down as a slam dunk that Winnipeg was going to be a Champion again. But those plucky wolves did it didn’t they? Slow clap.
(50 words)

I have been so super lucky so far in my career I have had the fortune to be surrounded by a great locker room and a great mentor in Sea Jebus. With Sea Jebus now moving on up to the major leagues it is time for a new rookie goalie to come in and I get the chance to become the knowledgeable mentor to help shape and guide the new crop of goalies coming to Kelowna. Really all I can hope for is that I can be as good a mentor for those that come after me that Sea Jebus did for myself as a pup. S72 is coming and I think it is going to be a great year full of change and turn over but like every year it is completely up in the air who is going to come out ahead and win it all. Lets go Knights!!
(151 Words)

6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku (5 words min.)
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.

A Season behind
Three fifty build in the past
Lets go Kelowna

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

S70 Milestones

15. Written, 3 TPE, Teams Can Be Rivers Now? (150 words min.)
Since Team Rhine is now a thing in the Juniors wing of the IIHF, name a geographical feature, such as a river, mountain, plateau, or your mother, that should be the next to have a team! Why does this feature deserve a team, like the Rhine? How good would this team be? Would you transfer to it?

Well if the Rhine can be a thing I think we should at the very least include South Pacific Nations or as I am going to call them South PaN! South PaN would include players from a number or nations including Australia, New Zealand, French Polynesian, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Island and the various other islands that make up the South Pacific ocean. While each nation maybe small putting forward their best players together could make for a formidable team. I would love to see the numerous traditions that these countries have represented within the team including the Haka, jerseys designed like tattoos, celebrating Australia’s history as a penal colony by taking an excessive amount of penalties, and maybe include the warm breezy atmosphere of Bora Bora. I think the arena would be adorned with so much culture and a unique atmosphere that it is almost a shame that no one has thought of this until this very write up!
(159 words)

Total: 16 TPE

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 04:10 PM by Bfine. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Sota

4. Honestly I think we’re rivals with all 4 teams in our division at this point. Seattle is the one we probably have the least animosity to except for the fact that at their peak they kept knocking us out of the playoffs. Edmonton we have the rivalry with HFFO being their GM and a former SFP draft pick before he was traded there for myself. Calgary was always the least liked team in our division from a personnel standpoint and now that Boom is over there we don’t like Calgary due to the fact that our best forward now plays for our rival. Our biggest rival however is Los Angeles. Both cat teams naturally makes them our rival but they also like to insist that they’re the better team, and thankfully in the playoffs we’ve proven them wrong more often than not. Los Angeles is definitely the team I want to keep playing in the playoffs.

6. All I Want For Me
Is To Not Be Such A Bust
But Alas Im Shit

7. Milestones +3

14. When looking at the IIHF I expect a lot of the teams that were strong last season to have another good run. Canada, Sweden, and Finland look to be the dominant 3 teams heading into the tournament and I expect them to be the three teams that take home medals. When looking at the groups, Group A is certainly more difficult, with Canada, Finland, Japan, Germany, Czechia, and the USA all in the same group, whereas group B has Sweden, Switzerland, and Great Britain. Ultimately I think Canada, Finland, Germany, and Japan make the playoffs out of A and Sweden, Switzerland, Great Britain, and Russia make it out of B. For the bronze medal game, I have Finland beating Switzerland, and for the gold medal I have Canada repeating over Sweden. Overall it should be a good tournament, even though I don’t expect Japan to make much noise outside of the group stage.

17. I honestly am surprised since I had New England losing in round 1 to Buffalo, so I certainly did not expect them to win the cup by any means. I had Winnipeg winning it all and I thought for sure this was going to be the year they do it. Montreal losing early was another surprise but maybe that’s just par for the course for them since they went out early last season too. Nothing really surprising happened in the West, and the biggest upset of all may honestly have been in the finals, but credit to New England for coming out on top.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

In this FHM Meta, having a crushing forward line is usually best. Multiple players hit over 2 ppg for the first time in SHL history, and Rashford was one of them. At that point, a player scoring 2 points per game typically means you get at least a goal or two from that stacked line per game, and as long as the remaining lines get another one or two and your defense isn’t hot garbage, you should win more games than you lose. In a 7-game series that isn’t the most reliable outcome, but likely the best strategy any GM will be able to implement.

You simply don’t shut down a given player anymore. In the FHM8 meta, the goal is to have a more potent offense than your opponent. Winning 7-5 is commonplace nowadays, and low-scoring games are typically a thing of the past. With the Aurora’s offence, they simply need to outgun Svoboda with their own star players in order to take the series.

New England seems to be embracing the current climate well - even if your goaltender faces a lot of shots, your offence simply puts up more shots and outscores the opponents. Karsikko has gotten them this far, and I still have nightmares about that goaltender myself from the SFP days of my previous player - New England should stay with what is working, which is a run and gun style that is rewarding.

I would have said Winnipeg due to them being in the final again, but honestly after writing answers for these prompts I have to say the Wolfpack. They play the meta better in the fact that they aim for a run and gun offence as opposed to a tighter defensive system. Defence appears to be dead in the FHM8 system, and so the team that employs offensive tactics the best will win out, and that looks like New England right now.

My former player, Nicolae Antonescu, had a very good career that I was proud of. His rookie season he was thrust into a starting role as a goalie and turned it into a respectable campaign for what was assumed to be a heavily rebuilding Pride, and that earned him a Jesster nomination for best rookie in Season 58. With my new player, a forward Ignacio Garza, I am now looking to enter my rookie season with a rebuilding Pride once again. With the recent departure of boom to become CGY GM, Garza might get a good look at a high amount of minutes, and I am hoping to impress in the first season once again. I’ve made sure to update Garza with some more offensive flair in anticipation of jumping into a larger role on an SHL team, and most of my unbanking went towards shooting skills, player intelligence, and physical speed and strength. Hopefully that translates into a campaign that can make an impact for the Pride, who are adding more and more talented uncapped players by the season.

Emerging skater
Defense isn’t cutting it
Unbanked in offense

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3358003 (3 TPE claimed from milestones)

14. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! How far do you realistically expect to go this year? What nations do you want to match up against, and which do you dread? What are your expectations for your player?

Ireland should be making a big jump in results this year. They have a whopping 11 players uncapping with their S68 builds for this IIHF tournament, and so should receive a comparatively massive boost compared to other nations. This is still a very young squad however, so they will likely need to grow their young core a couple of seasons more before they enter their medal-competing window. Look for Ireland to get closer games, better results and fancy stats overall, but they are in a tough group that they will be battling for a playoff spot. At this point, it is difficult to imagine the Canadian and American teams from being great, as they have a larger pool of high-quality players, Finland and Sweden are quite stacked as well, with a large amount of players in their prime at the moment. I would look for any of those 4 to make up the three medals.

17. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator! Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

Congratulations to the Wolfpack! I was happy to be genuinely surprised at the result of the playoffs, including the final. While many of the other matchups were predictable, New England had a couple of key upsets in the later rounds that I don’t think a lot of people expected. At this point, Winnipeg seems downright cursed to be great but not to win the Challenge Cup. Outside of the Wolfpack’s last couple of playoff rounds, what was disappointing about the season was the predictability again. It’s much easier to look at the beginning of the season and be relatively confident in who is going to make the playoffs, in what order, and how those rounds are going to go. I find the only real shakeups to brackets come in the last couple of rounds. I also wasn’t happy that offense seemingly exploded even more, with multiple players shattering 2 PPG and almost 1/5th of the skaters in the league earning a PPG. Offense is oversaturated at the moment, in my opinion.

Total of 16 TPE claimed

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Quote:dracula

4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (170 words)

Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly.

Quote:The obvious answer is Derek Martin. Of course, we’re in the same conference, so it won’t be for the Cup. We’ve been strong teammates in Carolina but now head up to help two up-and-coming SHL teams. The pick that LAP used for Martin was originally a TEX pick, so in some alternate universe, we might still be teammates. Instead, we now become rivals like Gretzky and Messier getting split up. Or more like Lecavlier and St. Louis. Or a comparison where one of them is awesome and the other one is me. Roberto Luongo and Eddie Lack?!

But there are so many great friends in the S68 class and the Ireland IIHF, all of whom would require suspending a friendship for 4-7 games. Give me Bergmark and BAP; Aleman in the ATL; or Hargreaves with SFP. All these teams and names are going to be lighting up the league a few seasons from now. At least Minaj is the only one I have to deal with in the Central Division.

5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (179 words)

Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

Quote:Are we sure the bear is a god? It’s a constellation, but I’m not sure that necessarily implies god status. The big bear constellation Ursa Major was said to be created from the nymph Callisto, so a failure minor deity. Winnipeg’s bear constellation is much more bearlike and perhaps more powerful because of it. But this is all a bit of a moot point, because if there’s one thing gods fear it's…

Fenrir. He a big wolf. Born from a god and a giantess, he a real big, powerful wolf. In fact, he is the father of all wolfs, so clear the one who would be leading a New England Wolfpack. Their logo sure looks like Fenrir to me. And what does Fenrir do? Oh, just kill Odin, possibly the most powerful god of them all, during Ragnarok (the event, not the MCU movie). If Fenrir can take down that dude, he can certainly take down a god-bear, especially with the entire wolfpack at his back.

Does that mean NEW’s victory signals Ragnarok is in motion? It just might.

Quote:Stepping up to Tex
Pass one thousand, getting more
Moving past the first

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total. Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Quote:+3 TPE - S70 SMJHL Milestones

15. Written, 3 TPE, Teams Can Be Rivers Now? (179 words)

Since Team Rhine is now a thing in the Juniors wing of the IIHF, name a geographical feature, such as a river, mountain, plateau, or your mother, that should be the next to have a team! Why does this feature deserve a team, like the Rhine? How good would this team be? Would you transfer to it?

Quote:As the originator of The Rhine federation, I feel eminently qualified to answer this (though I would like to point out that the British Isles have long been a team, and that islands are of course a geographical feature). But let’s dig a little bit deeper, pun intended, for our next federation: please welcome to the WJC… The Amurian Plate!

Dig out your geology textbook, turn to the section on plate tectonics, and still probably find zero information on this. A minor tectonic plate at the edge of the Eurasian plate, the Amurian is slowly turning counterclockwise and was named for the Amur river. This river is called the Heilong Jiang in Chinese, which translates to Black Dragon River, so Black Dragons is a great nickname for this new team.

So what countries are included here? China, both Koreas, Japan, Mongolia, and parts of Russia. Can players from these teams get along? No idea! We’ll either be ushering in a new era of cooperation between these countries or creating a giant, unnecessary mess that could lead to nuclear war.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2023, 09:19 AM by 3lewsers. Edited 2 times in total.)

ISFL Affiliate PT +3

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below.
Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

beetlejuice +3

Code:

Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the
second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.

Dwayne Gretzky better
Or he will retire quickly
Sooner than later

Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the
person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones +1

Code:

Since Team Rhine is now a thing in the Juniors wing of the IIHF, name a geographical feature, such as a river, mountain, plateau, or your
mother, that should be the next to have a team! Why does this feature deserve a team, like the Rhine? How good would this team be? Would you transfer to it?

The Grand Canyon should have its own hockey team. They would be called the Canyon Crushers and their mascot would be a giant boulder with a hockey stick. As everyone knows, the Grand Canyon is a huge tourist attraction, so the team could play games in the middle of the canyon, with fans watching from the surrounding cliffs. The thin air at the high elevation of the Grand Canyon could give the team a unique home-ice advantage, as visiting teams struggle to catch their breath. Their uniforms would incorporate the colors and patterns of the canyon's rock formations, making for some pretty spectacular jersey designs. The arena would be built into the side of the canyon, with the players entering the rink via zipline or bungee jump. The team's tagline would be "Our goals are as big as the canyon itself!"

Their pre-game warmup would involve hiking down into the canyon and back up again, to really get the blood flowing. And they would have a tradition of throwing a puck off the edge of the canyon at the start of each game, just for fun.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

ISFL Affiliate PT

+3 TPE

Task 1:
Trivia codeword: Hope

+3 TPE 

Task 3

For Sir Devoir, what I absolutely would want to happen again is his playoff performance in these past Playoffs versus the Atlanta Inferno. He managed to keep Atlanta at one just goal for two straight games and then have a shutout behind the net in the third game as the Platoon won 1-0. Yes, the Platoon would then get reverse swept, but unfortunately us getting a 3-0 lead on the back of Devoirs performances that I want to talk about. He got an incredible 100 goalie rating in three straight games, and this performance plus actually winning the series is what I would want to absolutely happen.

Now admittedly it would be very difficult for Devoir to repeat this performance, but I think he has a shot for at least a good Playoffs performance now that the Platoon are getting some call-ups in this upcoming season. So while hoping for a performance just like the one I saw in the first three games of the playoffs is a lot to ask, I have a feeling that a good Playoff performance will be on the horizon for Devoir.

+3 TPE

Task 5 

For the reason why I think the Wolfpack would end up defeating the bear, let's look to the wilds of real life. In the wild, team play is a big thing for many carnivores of any place. Look at African wild dogs or hyenas. They hunt by overwhelming any prey they can get with numbers and overwhelming viciousness. So depending on the size of the Wolfpack, I'd argue that they would just use strength in numbers to overwhelm the single bear god and bring him down, probably at the cost of a few of thier numbers. So I say that the Wolfpack would have 10 numbers amoung them and would all attack the bear all at once.

The bear god would fight hard, throwing wolves around and managing to take a few of them down. But the wolves teamwork would manage to attack the bears weak point despite their best efforts and they would fall to the Wolfpack, who would proceed to keep attacking them long after their gone.

+3 TPE

Task 7:
Milestones Link

+2 TPE 

Task 8:
[Image: Polish_20230510_151139289.png]
+3 TPE

3+3+3+3+2+3 = 17 which we can hopefully round down to 16

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 03:40 PM by Accka. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
-mayo

- https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3358039

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 11:34 AM by DarkCanuck29. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
When this current core of the Dragons was just coming into their own and starting to take on the mantle from legends like Esa Parmborg, Duncan Mackenzie had his greatest offensive season of all time. He caught fire in the back half of the year and decided that he was going to score on more than 25% of his shots. Zip, bing, bang, boom, everything went into the net. His longtime linemate and fellow S61 Draft Pick Grogu Mandosson set him up like he was dishing out pizzas. Grogu set the Calgary Dragons Record for most assists in a season. But for Duncan Mackenzie, his target was set. He wanted to reach 50 goals in a single season, something that no other Dragon had ever accomplished. Even the legends like Ryan Jesster never reached such lofty heights. But as the season wound down, he sat on the edge of glory. 49 Goals and only one game to go. The first period went by with no luck. The second past the same way, a post keeping him from the milestone. The entire crowd was on edge. No-one cared about the score. The Dragons had been eliminated from playoff contention a week before. Only one thing mattered. The coach kept throwing Mackenzie on the ice, double and triple shifting him. With time winding down, Grogu caught the puck at center and whipped it across the ice, catching the Powerful Mackenzie fully in stride. Mackenzie went straight through the waiting defenceman, laying him out with a reverse hit. He powered down on the goaltender and unleashed a massive wrist shot. The net rippled! 50 Goals in one season! The crowd went nuts. It was a special moment for Mackenzie. One he will probably never see again, but that he will always be grateful for.

Code:
As a member of the Calgary Dragons, the team I love to face in the playoffs is the Edmonton Blizzard. Each time we face off in the Battle of Alberta, we have an epic fight. But winning it is just so special. Each time it rolls around, the Locker Room lights up with people getting excited. We see everyone from rookies and prospects to old retired folks come back out and join in the shenanigans. This season, the Dragons and Blizzard faced off in the first round. Duncan Mackenzie really stepped up, not only putting up 3 points in the 5 game series, but more importantly putting on an outrageous shutdown display. His commitment on both sides of the puck was an excellent example to his teammates. The other star of the series was Evan Winter. The veteran Dragon Defenceman showed why he is still at the top of his game and a vital part of the Dragons roster.

Code:
Just Freaking Win It
It Is Time To Get The Cup
My Soul Is Ready

Code:

+3 TPE Milestone Claim 

IIHF

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE, Home Turf (150 words min.)
Rotating host countries is expensive and politically challenging. Local governments have to maintain sufficient arenas to host an event that comes around once a decade and popular sentiment is changing against olympic-style sports in general. We may have to pick a permanent home for the IIHF! Naturally, this should be your country, so state your case as to why your country is the best candidate to permanently host IIHF!

France. It is France. That is enough. No, you anglaphonies need more eh? Fine. We are the centre of culture for the world. There is no country as great as France for the arts, for love and what is hockey but the perfect balance of art and love. Violence, speed, aggression these are all aspects of love. The deft movement of a stick. A no look, backhand spin-o-rama pass. An around the world glove save. These are all art. Hosting the IIHF in France would forever cement Hockey as the greatest sport in the world. Bigger than Rugby. Bigger than Cricket. Bigger than soccer. Imagine, the World Cup being relegated to a second tier event because everyone is in Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Cannes or Dieppe to watch International Titans Japan and Great Britain compete for IIHF supremecy.  The cafes of Paris packed with spectators. The Louvre closed so the workers could watch France win gold. It is the future of hockey.

Procrastinators (it's not your fault this time!)

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

The playoffs were not what I expected this year. Although I expected Calgary to destroy Edmonton in the first round, I really expected them to at least challenge Seattle. A four game sweep really feels unfair based on the level of play the team was at. But that is the way the playoffs go. Luck is part of it, momentum is part of it and Seattle is an amazing team that fully deserved the win. That being said, I thought that they would not make it past Winnipeg. I figured that Winnipeg would take the whole thing. Great for New England though. They fully deserve the cup and I am happy for their success.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 11:49 PM by Slappydoodle. Edited 10 times in total.)

1. Trivia
Scrotum puckering

Code:

252 words

My previous player, defenseman Otis B. Driftwood of the Calgary Dragons , accomplished my favorite SHL moment,. winning the season 50 Challenge Cup Championship. To be fair, he did not accomplish this task alone. He had the greatest bunch of teammates and knuckleheads ever assembled to help carry the load.

I am currently on my third player in the SHL. My first, West Kendall Platoon center Slappy McDoodle, made it to the finals twice and had many deep playoff runs. He could never get over the final hurdle though .

Otis was my second player but the first wherein I actually knew what I was doing in building him. I had a clear vision of what I wanted to accomplish with the player, both on a personal level and as a part of the team.

Otis actually did win a cup in his rookie year and that was great. However, Driftwood was only a role player seeing limited minutes on that club. I very much wanted to help deliver a cup to Calgary and not simply be along for the ride .

By season 50, Otis was an alternate captain, the defensive leader and one of the three most important players on the team along with Kata Vilde in goal and the great Mike Izzy. Being able to really contribute in a meaningful way to getting GM Esa another cup and helping my teammates fulfill their ambitions in hoisting the Challenge Cup was the best moment I've had on this site in eight long years

Spring dawning, rebirth
Pucks hit the back of the net
Raptors raise the cup

Code:

152 words

I think the Gowanus Canal deserves a team . For those who do not know, the Gowanus Canal is a 1.8-mile-long canal in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, on the westernmost portion of Long Island. By the 1990s, it was recognized as one of the most polluted bodies of water in the United States. Due to high levels of pathogens and low levels of oxygen, it is generally considered unable to support life beyond the microscopic. One form of life it does support is the gonorrhea virus.

I therefore would like to suggest the Gowanus Gonorrheas be a thing. They could use a close up of a venereal wart for a logo. I believe this would speak to the general toughness and resiliency of New York City and it's denizens.

Please join me in this cause. Let's fight the good fight for social and environmental justice. Thank you and good night.

Milestones+2 https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3358074

Code:
13. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
-The S70 Challenge Cup series
-The S70 Four Star Cup series
-An S70 IIHF preview
-A Breakdown of how your favorite hockey team’s trade deadline might go!
1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 8 minutes or 4 TPE for 10 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 10 Minutes or 4 TPE for 15 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

https://m.soundcloud.com/mesbonk/big-sla...-season-70

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Penguin 

(3 TPE)

Overall Pengu had had a surprisingly good career. Historically I've always played players who were more roleplayers or took the jobs no one else wanted because I've never really cared about my player and typically would just rather see other people happy. That's why I even designed and created Pengu with the idea of him being a stay at home defenseman. I wanted him to support the team and the goalie. I didn't need stats, I didn't need points. Despite that Pengu has stepped up and blown me away despite that and it all culminated in a season where he led all defensemen in scoring and won the defensive player of the year award. It was an absolutely magical season where it seemed like he couldn't be stopped as he slapped in puck after puck from the blue line while also putting up respectable defensive numbers. He was top ten in almost every category and played a huge role on the team's success overall. That really meant more to me than I expected and it was a truly exciting time that I would absolutely love to see repeated before the penguin retires. (191 words) 

(6 TPE)

Code:

a. I think it is fantastic overall for Winnipeg to have a bit more of a varied attack this season. I think any time you have to rely on just one player to get you points on the board, it makes for a bad time regardless of who you are. A really talented player might be able to slip past a badel team by himself, but a more balanced approach like what Winnipeg has now should help them against the good teams like the Wolfpack going into the finals! (88 words)

b. As I mentioned with Winnipeg, it is hard to run an offense through a single person and beat good teams. Somehow though Svoboda has been pulling it off and despite having debatably the hardest path to the finals and have beaten really quality teams, which makes Svoboda look unstoppable. Winnipeg has played good defense all season though and I think if they can mark Svoboda with one of their top guys and bracket him when he gets close to the goal, they might actually slow him down and could have a shot at stopping him. (95 words)

c. I've recently gotten into watching hockey and if there is anything I've learned in limited viewing, it's that it doesn't matter how good your goalie is, you never want to see them getting a high volume of shots. There are too many things that could go wrong that aren't in control of the goalie. Wild bounces and the like that can cause a stray puck to slip just in. The more shots the more likely it is. I feel like if the Wolfpack want to win this cup, they have to find a way to give their goalie some relief. (100 words)

d. I feel like I have to pull for Winnipeg here. They were the best team all season long while the Wolfpack just barely slipped into the playoffs. They've risen to the task don't get me wrong and have knocked off absolute titans like Philadelphia, but I feel like at some point teams have to stop choking and finally put an end to the Wolfpack. It would be incredible to see them slip out of another seven game series though! (79 words)

(10 TPE)

If I could beat any one team in a playoff series. It absolutely would have to be Seattle. Don't get me wrong. I love Seattle, I love a ton of their players and have good rapport with them. In fact the user behind their goalie, Willie Miller, is one of my favorite people in all of sim leagues. That said I would absolutely kill to finally get over the hump that is the Seattle Argonauts. As a member of the Syndicate, Seattle has been our gate keeper. Unfortunately we didn't even get a shot at them this season, but three seasons in a row we met Willie Miller and the Argonauts in the playoffs and three seasons in a row they sent us home packing. I don't know what his grudge against Chicago is, but Willie really has our number and has put up elite games against us. Some of his best have been put towards our eliminations. I feel like if we ever got past Seattle, we would have a good shot at the cup. Unfortunately I doubt Willie ever let's that happen. (184 words)

(13 TPE)

Pengu's Milestones

(16 TPE)

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819596167843151906/843586092388057098/De_pengu_logo_2.png[/img]

Task 1 Trivia: Dusty Code word - (should be) 3 tpe

2. (Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.)

I believe that having your best line on the ice for that 1st line is the most important as with your other lines you really just need guys to give that 1st line a breather. Let's be honest you want the best guys to be spending most the time on the ice, I just feel spreading them out might give others more rest and in turn you would see a more tired left winger maybe compared to the center. need all of them resting together and gaining that chemistry as a unit! Winnipeg stays a strong team

Well the only way to do so Is If you can't stop him gotta outscore him man. You just need to put your best fire power out there and make It work. There's just some dudes who have so much talent at their disposal that It's like impossible to stop them. my suggestion would be to hit him out of the game haha. If that doesn't work go back to just trying to score

I think just taking those shots gets your goalie in the groove. Allows him to face those shots where less and less are unexpected you know? So I definitely believe If he makes the saves and your unit does well scoring enough. That's where you just fall back and pray the goalie holds their own in the net as much as possible as both teams are top in the championship for a reason!

I personally would be Winnipeg, as I think of them as a strong team really, but this would be dumb to say now as the playoffs have finished and the New England team showed their resilience and won. So call me a bad better on who wins haha. Though I still would of bet on winnipeg before I knew the results for sure.

^ - 4 TPE

Task 7 Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3358087 - 3 TPE

total: 10 tpe

[Image: Dusty_new_sig_with_the_pride.png]

J HO CW pass

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]