Create Account

S73 Championship Week

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Coffee

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!

The thing that impresses me the most about the Philadelphia Forge is their rugged handsomeness and their ability to constantly display said rugged handsomeness on the ice. You have probably heard people talk about jawline per 60, tight buns per game, and other fancy stats. Philly hands down runs the league in every one of those metrics. It is almost unbelievable when you think about it.
(66)

Code:
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?

The Philadelphia Forge had the more impressive victory hands down. Prior to even facing the Wolfpack, the Forge had to run through the overall much stronger East. The Wolfpack were the best team in the whole league and were led by the league’s most dangerous offensive threat. Lacksamus alone is a threat that could derail a post season run.
(59)

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

The Philadelphia Forge are able to keep being one of the top teams in the league because of the cohesiveness of the locker room. It is no coincidence that Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. From the General Manager to the almost auto retired because of lack of TPE player, the Forge have each other’s backs on everything whether it is SHL related or not. The locker room is always buzzing no matter the time of day because of members living on almost every continent. The GM team has made wise drafting decisions and, looping back to the locker room atmosphere, created an environment where draftees want to earn more and retired players with proven track records want to return to. Of course, Philadelphia can keep it up. They keep making good choices and maximizing every move that they make. I do not think there is much to be learned from Philadelphia. Most teams are probably trying to do the same things. It is just that Philly rules and does it better.
(173)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

lols

GM PASS

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Chill

4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?

EDM had a great strategy. A few seasons ago they were in the bottom of the league as they sold assets and looked to do a complete overhaul and rebuild of their team. From there they made some really smart draft decisions and trades to move around aging pieces and bide their time to rebuild. I think it really came down to their drafting decisions. They received a ton of active players in the S65-67 draft and were able to entice other active players to their roster while they were in FA. I do not know much of the behind the scenes actions of EDM but from an outside perspective each season they were getting progressively better in tactics and overall player ability. I think it's when they took Elric from the New England Wolfpack that their roster really came together and started contenting as each successive season beyond 70 saw them markedly improving.

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
Edmonton of course. I bet on them in the beginning of the season to win the cup and they came back and did not betray my expectations by making it all the way to the finals. I did really want it to be a slugout between New England and Edmonton, but alas the sim gods had another plan to bring the Forge back for their every other season assault on the Cup. I think Edmonton has reached a prime that will be hard to dethrone as the new de facto number 1 in the West and we will be seeing a lot of them going forward.

b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
There is something to be said of veterans seeing this an something that is a reality and therefore are coming at it with the strength of memory. As a veteran myself I know what it takes to ride to the cup as New England did it in 28 games. Each one was a battle and while we won the cup it was tiring. Yet to be able to challenge the cup again is the dream. THe youngsters might be hungry but that means they could make mistakes, you need veterans to temper a team.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

1.  Trivia Codeword: GLIZZY

[Image: McGriddy10.gif]
Credit to @KaleSalad, @Ragnar, @ValorX77, @sulovilen, and @enigmatic for my Sigs

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 11:23 AM by karlssens. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
verification code = karl

Code:
B. While it's cool to be the beat up veteran proving to everyone you still got it, there's no matching the thrill and excitement of your first challenge cup experience as an individual, let alone an entire team of young players. Win or lose it's an awesome experience and with a young core you plan, or at least hope, to return again. And if you win then you may just be that next dynasty you knocked out earlier in the playoffs.
C. Knocking out the reigning champion and repeat finalist appearance in the Winnipeg Aurora is no easy feat and it was certainly an impressive win for the Blizzard, but I give the edge to the Philadelphia Forge on this one. Both teams managed to finish the regular season with 50 wins and were 2 and 3 respectively in the overall standings, but the Forge are old and on the decline and I don't think many, if anyone, pegged them to beat the #1 seed in the New England Wolfpack.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Oddly enough I was a member of the S49 Blizzard when they won their last challenge cup. I remained with them right through to the end of the S64 season just as the new gm kicked off a full scale rebuild and teared it right down to the floorboards (minus my old veteran ass). We've seen many of rebuilds succeed, just like this current iteration of the Blizzard, and we've seen many fail and have to repeat the cycle. While there certainly is a degree of luck I think the biggest takeaway is the leadership needs to commit to the plan and convince everyone to buy in. Blowing it up and drafting high is great, but there is a long period between when a player is drafted and when they are effective in this league, there are no Bedards. You need to draft good users who are willing to grind it out in mediocrity for several, sometimes many, seasons which ain't always fun. I think the best way to overcome that is to build a enjoyable and friendly environment for users beyond the sim to keep them from remembering their team just isn't quite there yet, until they are!

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

PBE CW Affiliate

3 TPE

SHL/SMJHL Finals

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

Verification word: regret

6 TPE

IIHF

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

So Isaac plays for the Swiss thanks to Aneeq and 2 seasons ago we just missed out on a bronze and then we got fucking rekt into oblivion last season so the way I see it is the only way is up. I would absolutely love to win a gold medal with the swiss cause it is the only 1 i am missing for not just the triple cup but winning everything. I won majors/minors and WJC so its the only 1 I am missing which bloody sucks so I am hoping soon we can improve and be a true force to win just 1 gold medal. It would mean a lot to Aneeq and hopefully we can conquer the better teams at least once.

It would be lovely to see this happen but baby steps. Lets get to the quarter finals again and consistently before running to the gold medal conversations. Progress is nice to see though.

[159 words]

9 TPE of so the 8 TPE is gotten Smile

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
verification: coffee

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?
I will have to dive into my memory a little bit here, as I don’t remember the exact moves that Edmonton made while rebuilding since I think that was around a year ago now. But from what I recall they blew it up entirely and were really horrendously bad. They spent a few seasons at the bottom of the standings while stockpiling assets. Those players stuck together and stayed active, earning well, and they started dragging themselves out of that hole. They’ve been at or around the apex of their strength the last few seasons but just couldn’t get out of the conference. This year they’ve finally done it and moved on to the finals. Now that they are peaking, the question becomes how long can they make it last. Some teams spend a few seasons at the top but then age out because they have no trade chips to extend the window. The best teams manage their assets wisely and keep themselves in contention consistently. We will see where Edmonton goes from here.

Quote:12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?
I actually missed nearly the entire series, I’ve long felt like the fanfare of the finals is non existent and thought we need some kind of presence on the forums to drive that engagement. Otherwise teams who are out usually just stop paying attention and hibernate in their discord servers. But on topic, it looks like Edmonton got the job done, good for them. If not already, you can officially call their rebuild a success at this point. It turned out to be an incredibly close, back and forth series with a lot of entertaining looking high score games. You can’t ask for much better than game 7 coming down to the wire in a 1 goal game. It appears that Philadelphia’s high flying offense just couldn’t completely crack Edmonton’s strong defense, which is really commendable to Edmonton because Philly’s offense scored at will these playoffs.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

cup

Quote:10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

Ireland was rather disappointed with their showing on home ice last time around. Coming off the surprise gold, they were ramped to repeat in their own barn, but Germany ran roughshod over everyone and left the Irish sitting outside the medal games entirely. There have been a couple significant shakeups in the season since, including a reshuffle at the top of the fed and a few players lost to transfers or inactivity.

Still, the roster remains on the climb as a whole, with the S68 and younger players continuing to build to their prime. Offensive powerhouse Mads McBride returns to lead an attack with upcoming Hargreaves among the target men. More stringent defense is gong to be the main factor in returning to the podium. Special teams should continue to be a strength of the squad, so we’ll push the power play to give us the edge. It’s a bright future in Ireland still and this season should get us back into the medals.

Quote:12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Edmonton excelled by having two dominate top lines, with 6 players going over a PPG during the playoffs. 14 of 15 skaters scored during the postseason and every single one of them had *at least* 6 assists. They only scored fewer than three goals in two playoff games, and were only shut out one of those times.
Now Philadelphia wasn’t too far behind on any of those stats but fell just short on every single metric, which perfectly coincides with a 7 game series that ultimately turned against them. They were slightly less effective on both the offense (365 goals vs EDM’s 395) and defense (212 goals against vs EDM’s 188). PHI did have a better PP conversion percentage, but tallied just 69 PP goals vs EDM’s 78. We can easily see why games during the finals continued the season-long record of high scoring contests.

But Philadelphia’s real mistake was, apparently, having home ice advantage. In a full seven game final series, NOBODY won a home game. Contrast that to Winnipeg’s home ice dominance last season. They say in a seven game series that you aren’t in trouble until you lose at home, and Philadelphia got behind that eight ball right out of the gate. But to have both teams lose every game at home feels potentially unprecedent, until you remember the kind of shenanigans FHM loves to play. A couple different coin flips and we have a different champion.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

1. CW - hollo

Rage Falcons Latvia Latvia Falcons Rage
[Image: HOlloway.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 06:28 PM by Ohtaay.)

1. Trivia
verification: oats

3 tpe

Code:
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

A) The blizzard, its hard to ignore their offence. They have been scoring at a crazy rate, and it has not slowed down at all. As they enter the finals it will be important for them to keep their high calibre offence firing on all cyclinders. It will be hard for the forge to match their offence. Edmonton also has very strong goaltending which can help them steal a game or two as they enter the finals. 60 words

D) Much like my above point, I think the blizzard will win. Their young core is at the top of the tpe leaderboards and the coaching team there has done a great job of optimizing their lines to play strong hockey. The forge will have to rely on the sim giving them some luck but I dont know if it will be enough to beat the blizzard. 60+

2 tpe

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

Both teams got to this spot in a very different fashion. The forge has many rough seasons to start, but continued to build off strong draft classes and strong connection to the teammates, and the users behind the skaters. They had users on their team who were constantly top earners, which allowed them to have long careers. With these long careers, it gave them time to retool and develop thier new draft picks to start filling holes. By the time they started getting old, their loyal skaters returned to the team with their skaters. This allowed them to stay in the competitive window with little downside. However, Montreal traded picks to get high end talent. This allowed them to get to the top of the rankings quick, but also lead to their downfall as their skaters didnt stay at the top for as long, and they didnt have picks or prospects to replace their old users. Which has now lead to them selling off completely and rebuilding,
165+
3 tpe

8 total tpe

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 07:56 PM by Hungy Fella. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Trivia:
Apples

Code:

Brad

Code:

a) The Edmonton Blizzard are back in the finals after a prolonged absence, and it's particularly impressive considering how dominant the Winnipeg Aurora has been for a long time. There's a major mental block overcoming something like that, and major kudos should be given to the Blizzard for that fact, and doing so decidedly. (53 words)

b) I would rather be the veteran team. Yes, you would still need to be diligent in your preparation, but you've been there before. You can manage not only your nerves, but your expectations as well. Once you've done something once, it will feel much easier to do it, even if it's just as hard, or even harder to do. (59 words)

c) The more impressive of the two has to be the Edmonton Blizzard. They played against an opponent that had much more experience and expectations and rose to the occasion ten fold. Not only did they win the series, they won it decidedly in five games. While the Wolfpack is a worthy opponent, the win over the Aurora was much more impressive. (61 words)

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

For this round of SHL finals, the Edmonton Blizzard triumphed over the Philadelphia Forge in 7 games. It was an evenly matched series, with a good amount of blowouts and close games going to both. What really sets Edmonton over Philadelphia is the fact that Edmonton players are hitting their strides around now, while there is more variance with Philadelphia currently. Philadelphia's lower end is decidedly lower end, and their defense is still very young in comparison. With that said, it seems like every other position seems evenly matched, especially at goalie between BASE PACK and Justin Time headlining for both teams. (102 words)

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 11:20 PM by domffl.)

1. Comma

c. Well, it should be pretty obvious that the luckiest team to enter the finals is the Blizzard. To go toe to toe with the Aurora and come out on top can only mean one thing: fluke. So, I want to say it's the "more impressive" feat, but we know that it wasn't really something that was earned, y'know? It just sorta happened. The Forge, on the other hand, beat the best team in the east to make it to the finals. So that has my vote for the most impressive road to the finals. 
d. To be completely honest with you, this is a tough choice. The Forge have the better team (I think, I honestly haven't looked. I'm just saying this for the bit to get the TPE), but the rng FHM lords are obviously on the Blizzard's payroll. So this should be a classic battle of whether it's better to be good or lucky. One thing about luck: it runs out. Meanwhile the Forge actually played well. So I guess I've got Philly winning, however much it might pain me to admit it. But what do I know, I don't even know what "icing" is. 

3. Simply put, there are 99/100 realities where the Winny Lights is in the Finals again. But we just happen to be living in the darkest timeline. Each and every player on the Winnipeg team has begun to grow their goatees. Some pull it off better than others. But as far as what The Lights can learn from the Forge and the Patriotes? How to grease the hands of virtual rng pixies. There are certain FHM tendencies that just can't be explained. One of those is: Winnipeg losing. I don't know how it happens. On paper, it shouldn't. But TPE is a myth and the game only like players with names that have more vowels than consonants in their name. Don't fact check me on that. So, is there something to learn here from this finals matchup? Yes. Anything is possible, even when it seems exceptionally improbable. Like Winnipeg not winning the cup.

[Image: jwpshl.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023, 12:00 AM by DigDoug11. Edited 6 times in total.)

Code:

Code:

1 - Smokes

3- TPE

Code:

Code:

A
it's hard to pick between these two teams, they both are strong teams, but since i have to pick one of them, I'll pick the Blizzard.  Each season since I've been a part of the league, they have always been contenders for the cup, not to say that the forge hasn't been, but the blizzard has always been more impressive across the board.

B
I always have to root for the underdogs, with that being the Blizzards, even though they aren't much of an underdog, it's true that they haven't been to the finals in a while, they still are a heck of a team with tons of potential, and they definitely proved that this whole season, i mean Afterall they did end of up winning :D

C
The Blizzard were more impressive.  Aurora have been a powerful team for the past few seasons and they were the champs last season. I honestly was a little shocked to see that they had beaten them in the playoffs, but they have definitely proven themselves to be stronger team out of all the teams in the playoffs

D
Even though im doing this after this team has already won, my money was on the Blizzard.  They have always been a team that stands out to me, visually and numbers wise.  Especially with a player like Evan Winter, Evan has been a top performer for the past couple of season so this one was a no brainer.

4-TPE

Code:

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

WOW! looks like the Edmonton Blizzard won the cup! They were the team i believed would be going all the way this season, even though aurora wasn't going to go down without a good fight, the Blizzard held their ground and brought the cup home this season. there were a few reasons that lead to this outcome. one being Evan winters, Evan has been a great player for many seasons while being in the top of the league for points and goals this season. the second reason why they were successful was because of their goalie Justin time leading the league in shutouts this season with 8 of them.

2-TPE

[Image: captainLahey.png?width=1000&height=606]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png][Image: tCcIWQC.png][Image: 9pUocRs.png]