Create Account

S76 Championship Week Due: Thursday, May 23th @ 11:59 PM PST

1: Chickenwing - 1.5-3 TPE

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. Looking at save percentage and goals against average it seems that Beau Kavanagh has the upper hand over Justin Time. Do you think they do or are those numbers misleading?
I think the numbers might be a bit misleading, as both of them are great goalies. While Baltimore has less goals against it is obvious by looking at the standings that the top teams in the western conference were more goal-happy then those in the Eastern conference. On top of this the Baltimore Platoon also had a bigger gap to the Philadelphia Forge, than the San Francisco Pride had on the Los Angeles Panthers (or even the Texas Renegades for that matter) showing that the Western conference at the very top was a bit more close during the regular season.
100 words - 1 TPE

e. Which one would win a fight, a lion or an eagle? How would it go?
If both are fully grown, the lion would likely win a fight, however the eagle can fly, but it can only do this for about 4-6 hours normally at least. If we assume there are no other food sources and/or safe areas for the eagle to land and rest, the eagles best bet would be hit and run tactics and hope the lion does not either catch the eagle and/or is strong enough to survive the hit and run assault. Because of this I would say the lion has this one.

91 words – 1 TPE

Total TPE for task 2: 2 TPE

3. Written, 3 TPE, Long Time Coming (150 words min.)
Both teams were competent in early S60s but ultimately didn’t end up winning the cup leading both into a rebuild shortly after. Now they are back at the top, looking to end long cup droughts. Making it to the finals isn’t easy and so both teams will want to make this one count. But there can be only one Challenge Cup Champion, leaving the other team to look ahead to next season.For which of the teams you think it is more important to win now and which is in better position to get back to the finals in the future? Why?

I am going to be fair I do not know too much about the Baltimore Platoon rebuild, but I do know that the San Francisco Pride had quite a lot of early picks during the draft I was in, and the draft after it if I remember correctly. Because of this I am going to assume the Baltimore Platoon has a bit older of a team and because of this is might be more important for them to win the cup, as they have fewer seasons at the top left compared to the San Francisco Pride. However I do think both teams are still in a great position to come back for many seasons after this current one, and I would not be surprised to see either of these teams back for another cup attempt next season. Especially as they have not reached their peak yet, and will be even better in future seasons. But of course the play-offs is always a bit tricky to predict.

166 words

3 TPE

Total: 6.5-8 TPE

[Image: FuriousChicken.gif]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

coffee

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
c. Willow Söderberg-Snooks has 7 goals, 18 points, 18 takeaways and no giveaways, is that enough to make them best defenceman in finals? Who would you pick instead?

That stat line is absolutely enough to earn the title of best defenseman throughout the playoffs. You could argue that a defenseman putting up 18 points in the playoffs would be enough to earn the title. Add in incredibly solid defensive play is just icing on the cake. You can not ask for much more from a defender.
(58)

Code:

A lion would easily defeat an eagle in a fight. Despite being excellent hunters, an eagle simply is not big enough to take down a lion. It might be able to do a little bit of damage to the lion through some hit and run tactics but all it will take for the eagle to lose is a single swipe from the lion.
(63)

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

I would like to see the playoff structure changed to make the playoff experience a bit more interesting. Teams are getting bored of playing the same opponent almost every single season. Rivalries are good but we need variety as well to keep the rivalry special. I know it probably would not be possible, but it would be fun to have 1 through 8 play or even harder to organize 1 through 16. This is a sim league so we could in theory make the playoffs work any way we want. Playing one through sixteen would offer a great deal of variety every season. By mixing up the conferences straight away in the playoffs it would allow for a much more interesting dynamic and create even more rivalries. We do not get to play the other conference much as it is. This structure would also make it more difficult for teams that rolled through a rebuilding division potentially.
(157)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
- ye

a. Neither of the teams have been relying on one or two superstar forwards to do all their goal scoring in playoffs, but if you had to pick a player you expect to carry their team to cup who would it be?
- if i had to put all of my eggs into one basket this shl playoffs, i would rely on san francisco's victor hargreeves to get the job done and carry my team across the finish line. after honing his skills in buffalo, hargreeves has taken his game to another level in san fran. (53 words)
b. Looking at save percentage and goals against average it seems that Beau Kavanagh has the upper hand over Justin Time. Do you think they do or are those numbers misleading?
- i dont think the goaltender stats are misleading at all, i think kavanaugh has had the better playoff run. however, i believe that the pride just has more offensive firepower making it so the slight difference in goaltending numbers wont matter too much as the pride can outscore any goaltending problems they might encounter. (54 words)

Both teams were competent in early S60s but ultimately didn’t end up winning the cup leading both into a rebuild shortly after. Now they are back at the top, looking to end long cup droughts. Making it to the finals isn’t easy and so both teams will want to make this one count. But there can be only one Challenge Cup Champion, leaving the other team to look ahead to next season.For which of the teams you think - - it is more important to win now and which is in better position to get back to the finals in the future? Why?
while i think that both the san francisco pride and the baltimore platoon are in desperate need of a championship win and some success in the playoffs to have something to show for their efforts, I believe it is much more important for the san francisco pride to win the challenge cup this season. ever since the fiasco with wally happened way back in the mid-season 30s causing the team to collapse and be relocated from portland to san francisco, the pride have been a team that has not seen much success and has even been a running joke in the league. finally getting over that hump after all this time and winning a challenge cup would completely reshape the narrative around the franchise forever. on the other hand, the platoon, while exiting a rebuild, have had many years of success and cup wins in their past. they are not as desperate for a championship win. (156 words)

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Verification word - gaming

10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)

Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you and how much you expect them to change this time?

I'm back at it again with Team Norden, except this time I'm actually on the team too and not just general managing. Last season I kind of choked the tactics and almost ruined the whole tournament despite having the highest TPE team in the WJC, but this time I have Naomi to prevent any such tactical malpractice. I'm excited to actually have my own player on the team with me, last season I think I was with team ICE and just kind of checked the index every few days to see how I was doing. This time I'm actually a part of it! I think the big scary teams from last season are still gonna be big scary teams, although Norden got nerfed by having to draft Norden-eligible players with ICE. The USA teams are still beefy, gonna have to look out for them (even though we beat both of them in the medal rounds last year.) I still have very high hopes for another gold medal to keep the threepeat alive. 

11. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)

Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

My decision to choose Sweden was fairly straightforward. I have no real alliances to Sweden or anything, I have no family from there, never been there, don't really have any connection. I just really like the song "Dota" by Basshunter. That song is an absolute banger, and it's the reason why outside of English, Swedish is the language I know the most words in. It also wasn't a factor at the time but it is fun that my GM in Nevada is also the fed head for Sweden. My reasoning is pretty arbitrary, just a good song and Sweden seems like a cool place.

dope

5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

With the current playoff structure you get the most nailbiting rivalries to happen within the divisions. But let's look at some other playoff scenarios that could be implemented within the Simulation Hockey League.

Let's look at the most outlandish one first and foremost. The Conference winners pick their opponents. Yep, I said it. I know, it's outlandish, but imagine the drama this could create in a a school ground style epic tournament. It would only work for the first round, as after that it needs to establish some some of pattern. Unless, you implemented a series of conditions, much like tiebreakers work currently. I.e. Most goals scored, best goal differential, most regulation goals, most OT goals, etc, etc until you determine who would be the top seed. Of course, in our age of parity in the SHL, this seems immedietely thrown out the window.

Now let's look at the next best option. A true conference 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 playoff scenario. Which I am in favor of. This of course comes with set backs. But who has time to explain those? Not me.

f. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

e. Is this seriously a question being asked? Well, let's figure this out. Who would win an eagle or a lion? It's a draw. It really is, there are so many factors that lead into this. It's not like a buffalo or a lion. Or a falcon vs an eagle. These are two predators who are highly territorial . The eagle may have the birds eye view, but we've all seen house cats take down small birds too. I guess what i'm saying is it's a toss up. Who ate their wheaties that day?

f. At the end of the day, it's gonna come down to who plays in the corners better, who lets up less neutral zone turnovers, who is able to command the puck possession better. I think San Francisco might edge out the platoon in this highly anticipated match up. Much like the NHL, we're looking at two teams who haven't won in forever.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Code:

Code:

Nika

Code:

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you and how much you expect them to change this time?

Latvia is in a tough group and has been unable to make it out of the group stages in the last couple of tournaments. It will once again be a tall order for Latvia to climb their way up the standings enough to make it to the knockout stage, but Latvia still has a puncher's chance. While Latvia's future looks strong with a lot of young players starting to gain more and more TPE, this will still be a tough ask for Latvia who will be underdogs in most of their games. Jarrod Lakemore is in the prime of his career and one of the strongest forwards in the league and will be looked towards to lead the attack for Latvia. The depth for Latvia however doesn't match what some of the stronger nations like Canada or Sweden can put on the ice. Still, Lakemore has proven himself to be one of the best two way forwards in the SHL and there's no reason that can't translate into similar production in the IIHF. (178 words)

Code:

Code:
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

Originally Jarrod Lakemore represented the United Kingdom. This is my first player and I didn't know anyone in the SHL so I simply made my player from Liverpool, England because I am a fan of Liverpool (sadge). I didn't make a lot of friends early on, and those that I did make I never really talked to about IIHF representation as most were more focused on SMJHL/SHL things. I considered switching to Ireland where a lot of my fellow S68 members were, but ultimately decided on Latvia because they were the only nation to reach out to me. I hadn't had much interaction within UK and thought it would be cool to be part of a Latvia team that was looking to build something. (128 words)

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

1. Trivia 3 TPE
tarte

2. Grab bag 3 TPE
b. Beau Kavanagh is a real young stud netminder but if I need to win a series now gimme Justin Time. I don't care about the numbers, Justin is a multiple McBride winner and won recently the Challenge cup. Beau will get there one day but right now Time is the big guy in net.

d. Both teams didn't have an easy path but Baltimore had it easier. Even though San Francisco pretty much had a first round bye, you could say there matchup against Los Angeles was the real final. I'm pretty sure most people predicted Baltimore to win the East, it was a lot harder to predict who would come out of the West.

f. Like I mention above I had Baltimore winning it all as the West was so unpredictable. I'll stick with that even though San Francisco is on an impressive run. I will be honest, I didn't think they would emulate their regulation season success and lose to LAP. The Pride doesn't have the best playoffs resume, I fear they will fall short again.

11. Home country 2 TPE
Henri Losanov is my 3rd player, I now know the best strategy when it comes to choose your IIHF country. As I didn't plan to max earn TPE, countries like Canada, USA and Sweden weren't really an option. These teams are full of talent and would not have make their roster. I went with France this time around as the GM look active in the transfer market and even though it's a small nation, it is full of well known and like users. I've been with Russia and Switzerland in the past, I'd rather try something new than go back there this time around.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]

1. Trivia
Verification Word: Specters

2. Pick Up To 4

a.
I would expect Viktor Hargreeves to bring their outstanding offensive talent to the finals. They led the league in goals and points in the regular season which should translate to the finals round. I know if I was the coach, I would have them on the ice for every big moment possible. They just know how to score and should be able to turn it up a notch for the finals.  [71]

b.
Of course those numbers are misleading, at least a bit. Kavanagh Is a great goalie who had an impressive regular season. I just feel like the experience is not there yet for them. Meanwhile, Justin Time is a seasoned vet who has been consistent from the start. I feel like the Time has the experience needed to win big games, and frankly, these are all big games now. [68]

d.
Simply looking at how many games both teams played up to the finals, you can see that the San Francisco Pride were able to beat their opponents more efficiently in less games. The Pride totaled 11 games played before the finals, with one of the series being a sweep. The Platoon on the other hand, played 18 games leading up to the finals. I would say the Pride are slightly more rested and have an edge. [76]

Congratulations to the San Francisco Pride for winning the Challenge Cup in 5 games! The Pride have been a dominant offensive team all season long and have shown that they are the best. Beating out the top seeded Baltimore Platoon is no easy task, but the Pride did so in 5 games. Now that the games are over we can look back an analyze what went right, and what went wrong. I would say that the main thing to look at is how many shots were generated. Baltimore was only able to outshoot San Francisco once, in the one game they won in a shootout. The Pride were firing on all cylinders and were able to convert their chances more.  [120]

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

1. shwoop

2d. This one seems pretty cut and dry to me. San Francisco had the tougher road to the finals having to play last season's champion, Los Angeles in a tough seven game series followed by perennial playoff powerhouse in Winnipeg. Baltimore's toughest test was Philadelphia which also took 7 games, but their other series were against clearly lesser teams. (60 words)

2e. In this battle between land and air supremacy, I'd have to go with the eagle winning due to air superiority. I just can't foresee a scenario where a lion, an ambush and chase predator, could single handed get an eagle out of the air long enough to maul it. Meanwhile, the eagle could just rip away at the lion until it eventually could take out the lion's eyes, rendering it unable to fight. (73 words)

2f. In my original playoff predictions, I took the Baltimore Platoon and I am going to stick with that. They were a buzz saw throughout the entire regular season, and have no let up during the playoffs. While San Francisco presents as the most worthy opponent that they have face on their road to the finals, I still think they are going to be too much to handle for the Pride. (70 words)

13. The San Francisco Pride came out victorious in the finals in a shorter than expected 5 game series over the Baltimore Platoon. While the Pride's offense has been impressive throughout the regular season and playoffs, it was their defense and goaltending that ultimately won them the series by holding the Platoon to two or less goals in two of the five games including one of which was by shutout including the Cup clinching Game 5 win. In games 3 and 4, which were more shootout type games, San Francisco flexed their offensive muscle to outscore Baltimore, proving they were the most deserving. (102 words)

Chop

Code:
Water

Code:
a. Neither of the teams have been relying on one or two superstar forwards to do all their goal scoring in playoffs, but if you had to pick a player you expect to carry their team to cup who would it be?
c. Willow Söderberg-Snooks has 7 goals, 18 points, 18 takeaways and no giveaways, is that enough to make them best defenceman in finals? Who would you pick instead?
d. Which of the teams had easier path to finals?
f. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?
a. I think the difference maker will be Justin Time. Like you said, not one of the teams has a superstar that will score goals, so it will come down to which goaltender will make the big saves or which goaltender will let in the muffin. If they can just keep the other teams superstar under control, the goaltender will be that difference maker.
b. I always believed that the numbers have been misleading in the SHL. There are some really good teams and then there are the really bad teams. And that is where the problem lies. You see it during the regular season, the Pride were in the same division as Seattle and Edmonton, and the leading goal scorer played for the Pride.
e. I think that the Lion would win. That is why he is the king of the Jungle. The Eagle does have an advantage, and that is that he can fly. BUT, once the Eagle would get knocked down, there is no chance he would be able to escape or even last a long time with the lion. The Eagles goal would be to try and jab at the Lion and fly away and then come back and attack the Lion and repeat, but he has to avoid just one swipe.

Code:
I had never represented Canada in the past in the SHL. My previous player represented Latvia and that is because my friends and I all wanted to represent the same country and play together for an IIHF team and develop a core for that country. Then, with the new player, I decided I wanted to try and win some trophies and medals in the IIHF so I decided to represent Canada. I am Canadian, I am from Montreal and yes, I am a fan of the Bruins in the city of Montreal. I am happy with the decision of representing Canada, and also being on the same country as my brother is an added bonuses.

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 01:21 PM by Count Chocula. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

JNH

Code:
Both teams were competent in early S60s but ultimately didn’t end up winning the cup leading both into a rebuild shortly after. Now they are back at the top, looking to end long cup droughts. Making it to the finals isn’t easy and so both teams will want to make this one count. But there can be only one Challenge Cup Champion, leaving the other team to look ahead to next season.For which of the teams you think it is more important to win now and which is in better position to get back to the finals in the future? Why?

It is far more important that the San Francisco Pride win this seasons championship. The pride came out of nowhere last post season to almost upset the LA Panthers. That was after the Pride traded away a hefty bounty to aquire Sydney Shaw on the blue line. Then they went out and made another big trade to aquire Luke Laraque and Justin Time from Edmonton. It's sad to say, but if the Pride don't win this season they will be in for another long rebuild after selling off their entire future in assets. Even if they are able to win, it may end up being a fleeting franchise. They may have to start selling off the assets that made them so strong just to recover what they gave up to get to the mountain top. It all may be worth it though just to win their first championship in franchise history. Some teams will do short sighted things to get something for the first time.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Presidents’ Trophy Curse (150 words min.)
Seattle Argonauts won both the Challenge Cup and Presidents’ Trophy in S68, but no team has won both during the same season since. Yet season 75 Los Angeles Panthers and season 72 Winnipeg Aurora both won the cup after being second best team during the regular season. Do you think that winning regular season has impact on playoffs performance outside of seedings and home advantage? Would you say San Francisco is better of coming into the series with second seed or will Baltimore get more out of their home advantage than any curse could hurt them?

There is no curse surrounding the President's Trophy. It is an arbitrary award that doesn't really reflect a teams actual ability. Every team does not play each other an equal amount of times throughout the season. So West and East teams could have inflated records depending on how strong or weak their division and conference are. If I fought 100 babies and had a record of 100-0, does that mean I would beat Mike Tyson with a record of 20-10 against professionals? It's the same concept. Not to mention a lot of teams make trade deadline acquisitions that change their teams performance. If rosters were locked from the start of the season it may have a limited amount more merit. Teams get better and worse throughout the season and may look completely different once the playoffs hit. So the trophy is meaningless at the end of the day, it just makes GMs feel like they're doing something special.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

HO Pass

[Image: lespoils.gif]

1. CW Trivia
Word: Water

2b. Justin Time is a player who is being overlooked in this series due to the fact that his counting stats weren’t quite as strong going into the series as Kavanagh did, but I think that he is going to be a difference maker in this series (something that I was proven correct on as he got a shutout in the critical Game 5 win to clinch the Cup win).
WC: 69

2c. WSS is 100% the best defenseman in the Final this year for either team. I think that there is very little to argue about given that the points are there, the lack of turnovers are a thing, and they’re just an incredible presence on the ice and in the locker room for the Pride.
WC: 54

2f. I’m cheating a little bit here due to the series being over, but my answer wouldn’t have changed between now and the start of the series. San Francisco 100% would win the series. I know going into the series, the big questions were about if the Pride could win on the road and I think they were able to answer those questions in the final, winning 2 of 3 in Baltimore as well as winning both games in San Francisco.
WC: 80

13. I could not be more proud to be a part of this Pride team who was able to win the Challenge Cup for the first time in franchise history. The last time that San Francisco was in the Challenge Cup Final was in S52 against the Manhattan Rage (a team I was part of at the time) and I had played a role in stopping the Pride back then. Now, I was able to be a part of the team’s success and bring the trophy to San Francisco. Our team played with a lot of depth and a lot of heart, letting our lines overwhelm the Platoon as each line was a genuine threat to score whenever they got on the ice. The lines of Webb-Winters-Schattenaxt and Laraque-Hargreeves-Scholz put up 99 points and 88 points respectively during the 21 game playoff run for the Pride, and that doesn’t even look at the final line which had 54 points. Each line rolled and it was something that proved to be overwhelming for each of the Pride’s opponents.
WC: 176

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

6: 3 TPE
Alright, Berserkers fans. I know this season didn't go as we hoped, but let me tell you something, this tough loss will only make us stronger. We may have faced tough opponents and challenges, but that's what makes our journey so incredible. Although we weren’t able to raise the cup, we believe in this teams future and you should to.

As we look ahead to the next season, let's keep our heads held high and our spirits higher. We will train harder, play smarter, and push ourselves to better heights. Every setback will only serve as motivation to come back stronger than last season.

To the fans, stay optimistic, stay passionate, and stay by our side. Together, we will rise above any challenge and show the world what it means to be a Berserker. Get ready for an electrifying season ahead, because the Newfoundland Berserkers are ready to bring a cup back home! 

4: 3 TPE
I truly believe the Presidents Trophy Curse is real. I do not believe it is an actual curse but I do think winning it has some drawbacks. Hockey is a tough and physical sport where the playoffs double that intensity. Winning in the regular season could wear a team down where they aren’t ready for the postseason. Next, there is a cockiness to winning the presidents trophy. They might think there is no way one of these 1st round teams will beat us. Then they might find themselves in a quick hole in the series which could be detrimental.

With that being said, I only thing the curse lasts the 1st two rounds. Once those rounds are over, that so called curse is over. If the Presidents trophy team is in the finals, I am picking them 10/10 times. They have already showed they aren’t too cocky or banged up by making it this far. The curse has lifted and that Presidents Trophy winner will bring home the Challenge Cup.

[Image: mattyj.png]