Create Account

S69 PT #1: Surplus January 29th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Written Task:

In terms of a salary cap, I think it is unfortunately one of the acceptable evils of pro sports structures to be quite honest. The only other sport I really partake in following closely is football(soccer), which although has no out right salary cap, has other mechanisms in place to curb spending. The reality of the situation in most people views is that teams should be able to spend what they want, and players should get market rate for their talent without the cap artificially capping it. I think those are fair arguments in an economics sense, but there are a few big problems. One smaller issue in the argument is that players are still able to get cash flow from outside their contracts, so that isn't the whole picture anyways, but mainly that the cap is allowing the league to be closer than it really ought to be most nights. That is the big problem with the MLB in my eyes, some teams will simply NEVER be good, and their good players will ALWAYS leave for bigger dollars. Having a team be in that environment when you have the league set up with franchises basically just means certain cities have pity teams that will never have a chance, not sure what the point of cheering for that is. I think the cap is really good for the North American markets, it gives all fans a chance at being good eventually, even Arizona has had some runs. I think it is bad for the league internationally, as marketing 5-6 really big teams, and flexing the small top of the crop internationally would be closer to what the premier league has been able to create, but there are some pretty big negatives to go with it. From a sporting sense, I see no real problem with the cap, removing it would just lead to some teams being a joke, and completely pointless to cheer for, having it just helps keep the top teams in check without really doing too much damage to them.

3M$ is a hell lot of money. That's funny because we just changed our arena and our ice last season, so these 3m will not be invest in hockey-related stuff. Instead, we will invest it in robots. All of our employees will only be robots. Robots in the entrance. Robots at the entry doors to scan electronic tickets only. Robots at the cafeteria that will work as cooks. Even the national anthems will be sing by robots. In brief, EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE will be replaced by robots. Why you say? Because robots are love, robots are life. In a future not far away, we will see a lot more robots in our shops and in life in general. For the Texas Renegades, investing in robotic is investing for a bright future. I'm sure that this investment will bring a lot of benefits not only for our team, but for our city and the state of Texas.

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?

Written Task: What is your opinion on the NHL salary cap? Is it great? Bad? Needs improvement? Tell me why. Is there another league that has a cap structure you like more? Do you have a compelling argument for removing it all together? Would allowing teams that could afford to spend extra money on players be too unfair in this day and age? What do you think? (150+ words)

I would not really consider it being bad at all. I think it is much needed. I have recently gotten back into soccer, and seeing that sport with no cap space is really making me miss it. Teams can literally just be given a shit ton of money to get whatever players they want by investors and make a dream team. And if those players do not work out? Frick it just buy more players whatever. It is honestly sad seeing small struggling teams trying to even compete against those types of teams. Back to hockey, the cap space just makes sense. It allows all teams to be held to a certain maximum level, and teams under are not really under because of money reasons, but more because of trying to tank or rebuilding. And naturally good players usually take pretty valuable contracts, so teams cannot just stack many good players that take bare minimum. And I think it makes general mangers have to be good by managing that cap and try to get players at good value.

178 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Hockey Prompt:

There's a clear need to have a salary cap or some sort of great 'balancing' element otherwise, teams at the top would simply just dominate to the point of making things boring. The argument against that I guess is that hockey is already a fairly even sport where even the 'best' teams only had a relatively small expected chance of winning compared to some of the other favorites in other sports. With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to things such as a luxury tax to allow the teams who are able to spend more, be able to flex some of that muscle to a degree. To prevent the teams who have high revenue from allowing players from earning more, and having the league artificially limit the "middle class" type of players, while funneling the money to the top end seems a little bit unfair. I'm surprised that the NHL as a whole won't stand for it especially with what the NHLPA has to stand to gain.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Hockey prompt

I think having a salary cap is a must for hockey. We cannot let some teams like Montreal, Toronto and New York run the league just because they’re bigger markets, earn more and can get any player they want. Parity is a need for hockey, to grow the market, and restraining some teams from being good will not grow anything. While it should progressively go up, I don’t think copying a team like the MLB where you tax teams going over the cap works, as the teams not respecting the limits can just pay their way out of trouble anyways. It also makes cap space valuable and an actual asset, for example in the case of Chicago and Arizona this year. While it can limit trading, it makes sure of a certain fairness in the league considering salaries, a thing that does not exist in every league. So overall I think the salary cap in the NHL is a good thing rather than something to change!

166 words

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Out of all the leagues I can think of my favorite is definitley the NHL cap, it's fair enough and allows teams to stay competitive however their market is doing plus it hasn't really changed much over the years. Teams trade and have plenty of ways around it too so nothing gets out of hand usually but you gotta find the right dance partners making it more interesting. Don't really have anything specific I'd change other than having a little larger contracts and lower minimums so more players can get a chance or make more dough like some or the other leagues. Speaking of other leagues the leagues who are allowed to spend extra money take all the fun out of it like the MLB and I've never understood it, the NBA is pretty close to the NHL but the difference between contracts is ridiculous when the talent is very close.

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

ISFL Affiliate Claim
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023, 12:57 AM by iStegosauruz. Edited 1 time in total.)

ISFL Welfare

Hockey prompt:

The NHL salary cap is unfortunately a necessary evil to keep hockey from ending up like professional baseball. I personally don't think it's the best method but I do think it helps keep parity pretty decent and makes it so bottom teams don't get constantly out spent. If there was not a salary cap then I think you would have scenarios where big markets teams like the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs are the only teams getting the big free agents. I remember when Jeff Finger was getting absolutely ridiculous deals as a free agent. There has to be some sort of balance so that this does not happen again. Arizona and other small market teams will never be able to compete with this and you'll see what happens in baseball where a small market team is good for 2-3 years and then has to sell off everyone to tank for draft picks.

I honestly think the NBA's salary cap is pretty good structure with some adjustments so teams aren't spending 100 million plus more than teams closer to the floor. It would allow teams who draft and develop their players well to go over the cap maximum.

Hockey prompt -

Despite being the SHL I am not all that knowledgeable on the NHL, but with that said I am in favor of the salary cap. Hard cap systems like the NHL’s seem to be the fairest in my opinion, as it forces some level of parity amongst the teams in the league. Soft caps and/or a luxury tax can essentially be ignored by big market teams who will just eat the tax if it means making a super team. Is it really a salary “cap” if you can just blow right through it? I think not. In terms of where that cap should be set, I have no idea, but I think it has been fixed for a few years due to COVID, so it should probably be raised to help teams across the board. I certainly don’t think the cap should be removed. Modified to patch up some loopholes maybe, but definitely keep a hard cap in place, if only for some semblance of parity around the league.

Personally I like the fact that the NHL has a pretty hard salary cap. In my opinion having parity is a really important thing for a sports league. I think it goes a long way to creating a balanced league. It seems like every year in the NHL you will have good teams miss the playoffs with teams who struggled last year suddenly click and go far. There are always different teams going far in the playoffs instead of the same teams a lot of the time. I'm not a huge basketball fan for example but for some time there it was basically Lebron vs Golden State every single year in the playoffs and I feel like those consistent fixtures kill some interest, they certainly do for me who is not overly invested in the league. Also in the MLB for example where there is no real cap you just see the richest teams end up with all the good players. Feels like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox end up buying everybody. In the NHL you don't see those kinds of things happen and I think it provides better storylines and more drama.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

NHL salary cap needs some improvement. I understand that NHL teams already are losing money right now as it is, but it doesn’t help having a hard cap. It’s really gotten bad where the market for some players won’t work specifically because cap. Market by now was supposed to be above 87M. It didn’t get to that point based on Covid the Flat cap for a good couple of years, and only now they are starting to slowly boost cap.

So what I would ultimately do is add an exempt player to the list to help. It takes that contract off the actual team books but they are still paying that player it would help when it comes to mid season and cap hell isn’t what every single team except for rebuilders are in. Either that or push for an NBA type of setup with a soft cap and a luxury tax and then a hard cap after that, but right now the salary cap is too low imo.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

CREATIVE PROMPT

With 3 million one dollar bills, I am building a really incredibly photogenic tunnel for our entry onto the ice.  Everyone knows the team will only be as cool as they look walking to the ice.  Some of the money is going into tunnel lighting and two way mirrors so we can get sick social media content.  However, some of the money will become part of the tunnel itself as a dollars in a wind tunnel backdrop.

We are going to invest in new technology, like a snapchat filter which puts sunglasses and cigarettes on the players in all the pictures and jumbotron feed.  Conversely, the visitor tunnel is going to have a filter which puts mustard stains on their jerseys and makes it look like they have a fly and it is down.

This will create a virtuous cycle of advertising money which will be fed into making our tunnel even more cool.  We will put digital ads on the jerseys specifically in the tunnel.  We will make the video slow motion to increase exposure.  We will make them come out one at a time to extend the process (announcing the entire lineup, not just starting 5).

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

3 milly wow. That’s not insignificant. It is actually my current shl salary, but maybe it is insignificant because these days in this day and age I am an insignificant player now well past my prime in the twilight of my career as I slowly age out of the league. Anyway if the team gave me 3 mil to improve the team I would technically improve it but my method to improve it would just be the give that entire 3 mil to me so that I would earn 6 mil instead of 3 because I am almost broke and I do not want to have to write media to afford training and equipment every season. Could the money be better spent elsewhere? Yes most definitely. But if you wanted it better spent you should have given someone else the money, not some greedy fuck like me so really it is your fault not mine for using the money as interpreted rather than intended

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

I honestly have been constantly pretty conflicted about the current salary cap structure in the NHL and it's effects on player transactions, player salary, and long-term roster viability - especially in comparison the other 3 major North American sport leagues.

So, say the NHL had a luxury tax system like in baseball. This is probably the most commonly suggested alternative to the so-called "hard cap" employed by the NHL. While this system does have it's advantages for players and team salary structures, there are obviously some major drawbacks as well. The big downside is that there will always be haves and have-not's, with some teams barely spending to the floor and forgoing team success, while others spend far and above the base cap to bring in as much premium talent as possible.

Coming from a purely financial perspective, this wouldn't work as well for NHL teams - having a bad roster in the MLB one thing because most franchises are lucrative enough to bring in profit even when the team sucks. This isn't the same in the NHL, and every team would eventually have to attempt to compete to satisfy a paying audience. So in that regard it might evade one of the biggest pitfalls of it's implementation in major league baseball. On the other hand though, teams like the leafs, rangers, and habs would sign every big free agent and choke a lot of those smaller markets out of contention, which would cripple competition. (243 words)

[Image: kezia-elk4-smol.png]
sig by me (:

Kezia MacKenzie - LW - Regina Elk - Atlanta Inferno