Create Account

Official Montreal Announcement

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Mar 6 2016, 02:40 PM

There was always going to be backlash, you could've had an amazing team concept with perfect names and whatever. I doubt most of this was avoidable. Yes, I don't love the name but they followed the current procedure in place.
That doesn't make peoples' criticisms illegitimate.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Argar stop making me agree with you on everything. It's creepy.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Logo looks meh by itself.

But the jerseys with the logo on them are sick

Quote:Originally posted by Jesster@Mar 6 2016, 06:31 PM

HFFO, you can't think of ways to announce this to include the history of the team instead of completely focusing on new (besides the shoulder patch)? Because I have some ideas, and I shared a bit with Baller through PM.  I'm saying it's completely possibly to make it seem less shocking to alumni.  No ones saying they didn't follow proper procedure anymore, but to question why no one else on the commish team was notified in the least is something worth mentioning.

If anything it's more an indictment that this is just the SMJHL. We both know if this was an old school team in the SHL and a GM tandem (and let's add fairly new to the team) wanted to rebrand a team name, logo, and jersey the HO would be involved.

Deezy rebranded the Brandon Blazers into this team in Season 5. This isn't an original team. Yes, it's been around for awhile but things change. It's an online sim league, continuity generally equates to complacency and a dearth of activity.

Yes, people loved the Impact, and they have without a shadow of a doubt the most proud alumni on the site. But the name Impact is a rip off of a professional soccer team and makes us look more lazy and unoriginal than even the Jets logo does.

I'm not saying there aren't ways that this could have been handled better, I'm saying that it was Kez's decision whether or not he would share this with us and I'm not going to question it.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Mar 7 2016, 09:05 AM

I don't think anyone is saying that there should be a majority vote by the alumni to approve of any name change, but it is annoying to have someone make sweeping changes to a franchise in some closed-door meeting without even trying to get an idea of how those who played for Montreal and are big parts of Montreal's history think of the branding. The fact the name and logo feel uninspired doesn't help, either. Something that could have been acknowledged with a greater amount of collaboration.

Yeahthat

I mean, the logo is a pixelated, backwards 'M' piece of garbage and the name is horrendous and has nothing to do with Montreal. It was basically two peopl saying they want a name change and Militia was the best they could come up with with no heritage to the Montreal name or French-Canadian aspect to the region of the city. I guess they figured we can't move the team without approval, so let's just fuck it up as much as we can.

Quote:Originally posted by Baelor Swift@Mar 7 2016, 09:45 AM

That doesn't make peoples' criticisms illegitimate.

No people's criticisms are illegitimate because they have no say in the matter.

The Impact are a professional MLS soccer team and were an established soccer team prior to becoming the SMJHL squad they are now. If anything, the team name itself should have been turned down the day it was proposed.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

Quote:Originally posted by JNH@Mar 6 2016, 05:51 PM

Of course you like change, you can't stick with one player for more than a couple seasons, never mind a team.

Yeah, good thing I haven't consistently despised the Impact name since it was brought up. Rolleyes

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Mar 7 2016, 07:05 AM

I don't think anyone is saying that there should be a majority vote by the alumni to approve of any name change, but it is annoying to have someone make sweeping changes to a franchise in some closed-door meeting without even trying to get an idea of how those who played for Montreal and are big parts of Montreal's history think of the branding. The fact the name and logo feel uninspired doesn't help, either. Something that could have been acknowledged with a greater amount of collaboration.

The more people you get involved the more opinions you get, its not always a good thing. Yea not everyone is going to agree, C'est La Vie

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

Quote:Originally posted by TheLastOlympian07@Mar 7 2016, 03:26 AM

bursts dropping the truth bombs here!

i think the whole alumni thing is kinda stupid, sure they are important but what happens when they move on and get drafted to a new team when he re creates next. people put way to much thought into the alumni.

While I agree that the whole old member, elitism idea is dumb, a lot of people feel connected to their junior franchise and generally try to manufacture a return to where they originally played. Having a caring alumni is good for a franchise, I just generally disagree with people who can't see why changing the Impact's name was a good idea. I'm surprised it took so long.

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Mar 7 2016, 09:05 AM

From what I've heard, a lot of the vocal Vive L'Impact folk barely even discuss in the locker room or talk about the Impact in any way, shape or form besides in this thread.

I could check some SMJHL Play-by-Plays but I doubt I'll be finding any of you in there.

Quote:The Impact are a professional MLS soccer team and were an established soccer team prior to becoming the SMJHL squad they are now. If anything, the team name itself should have been turned down the day it was proposed.

They weren't in the MLS when the team was created. They were in a lower league and no one knew about them. Seriously, it is false information and you need to stop on this front. Did they become a part of MLS, yes they did, but the team was not name after a MLS team.

Quote:From what I've heard, a lot of the vocal Vive L'Impact folk barely even discuss in the locker room or talk about the Impact in any way, shape or form besides in this thread.

I could check some SMJHL Play-by-Plays but I doubt I'll be finding any of you in there.

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know that you knew what everyone's schedule is like on the site and that all of us have time to be everywhere at once...

Seriously, this is a stupid argument. I have a limited amount of time most days to do anything on the site and yes I tend to stick to MIN LR and some MIN related topics. So for the last two season, I was not big in the Impact LR. Before that though, I would always stop by.

Just stop pretending to know what is going on for everyone or why alum might be absent for a short time from other areas of the board.

EDIT: The reason Alum are upset is not because of a name change, but because the new name has nothing to do with Montreal despite their attempts to stretch a big truth to cover it and the logo is god awful.

Quote:Originally posted by TML99+Mar 7 2016, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (TML99 @ Mar 7 2016, 11:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

The more people you get involved the more opinions you get, its not always a good thing. Yea not everyone is going to agree, C'est La Vie[/b]
You don't even have to necessarily get people "involved" in the final decision, but even a simple canvassing would have done wonders. There was even a question regarding rebranding on the old combine threads and the majority from my experience were against it. They do surveys and such for a reason.

Hell when I started thinking of players to have their jerseys honored my first year, I fielded requests from current alumni and players they thought had an impact on the franchise. The next season I took even more alumni opinion into my research to bring even older and more legendary players into the fold (including the only current GM to have his name honored). Stuff like that, while small, can go a long way. I feel that step was not taken and it hurt the finished product.

<!--QuoteBegin-HabsFanFromOntario@Mar 7 2016, 11:26 AM

From what I've heard, a lot of the vocal Vive L'Impact folk barely even discuss in the locker room or talk about the Impact in any way, shape or form besides in this thread.

[/quote]

So because I haven't posted in the PBP threads I have no opinion on the matter? Come on. Also guys like Byrde and Bojo still remain loyal guys to Montreal even if they aren't post-whoring it up in the thread. Perhaps we should band together and start a "Montreal Appreciation" thread and post in there a lot to prove our allegiance?

Honestly this is likely a less tense discussion if the new brand to replace the Impact didn't feel so uninspired. When you replace an established brand that a lot of people connect with, it helps for the actual brand to mean something with regards to the city/state that the team originates from. Militia is a major stretch.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

To be fair, I was most certainly pissed about the name change. Even if it was a great rebrand I would've flipped. Ah well, no point in fighting it now.

But hffo, there are no smjhl pbps minus playoffs. Even then people will support their current teams. Doesn't mean I can't still be a proud montreal alumni. Tongue

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Mar 7 2016, 12:56 PM

Maybe because our newer players got drafted to a different team and we lose LR PRIVS. Honestly aint that hard to understand.

[Image: 336.jpg]

I haven't read this whole thread, but just to speak to the folks who weren't consulted - no one consulted the folks on the Force when they re-branded back to the Firebirds either. And yea, there was no question of whether the logo / branding was good or not because it was an already existing / accepted logo, but I'll say I was as tied to my team as you were to yours. The league clearly has a precedent of not going through the process of checking with alumni in this this situation.

(Not to say that's the right way of doing it, just that it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.)

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]