Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

Life can take you down some very unexpected roads. After being a late pick for the Maine Timber in the S55 draft Thomas underperformed. To his surprise we was still drafted by Texas with the 55th overall pick. A late pick that many teams seemed to have overlooked. That was a big surprise, but it was not done there. Soon after when he was looking to try and get down to Texas and settle in, he was shipped off to San Francisco. His world was completely turned upside down. The shock had barely worn off from being drafted to suddenly being shipped off before his career had even started. This young man from the Prairies had no idea what to expect when he landed in San Francisco’s airport but being met by the current leaders of the team in HLO and Petrenko seemed to have calmed his nerves and helped show him what he could be a part of with the Pride team. He was quiet and didn’t know much of anything when he first arrived but when he was able to make the jump and become a full time SHL player he really came out of his shell and the young talented team in San Fran had everything to do with it. Life is full of surprises it is all about how to handle them and try to make the most of out of them. Becoming part of the Pride was one of the most welcome surprises of Thomas’ life so far.

(WC:253)

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

I believe the thing that went unexpected for me was the story of New Orleans Specters - from dust we will rise and fall again.

I'm somehow fascinated by this team. When I returned to this forum first I was surprised by the existence of this team. I knew the SHL would expand but I didn't pull the real numbers up. Also as a happy surprise was that franchise symbols looked sweet. I liked it. Logo - not too much detailed, fitting to name. Colors - match to name, differs from other teams, not too toxic for the eye.

I remember when they were around the play-off zone. I can't pull together if they were just before the PO spot or managed to get there. Doesn't matter because is a season 1 or 2 they rocked the league. Won the cup, smashed the sim, won the regular season and fell down in the next seasons.

What's the best surprise? League changed rules because of it. No agitators anymore! That's my big surprise.

PT pass

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021, 02:05 AM by Carpy48.)

Not so many truly unexpected events have happened in my career. I have never been traded and never won anything interesting either, so in that sense my career has been relatively uneventful compared to others. If I go back to the early years, what could be seen as unexpected was after my second season with the Lethbridge Lions (to the younger ones among us, now known as the Newfoundland Berserkers) that my GMs basically disappeared off the face of the earth (we still have no idea what happened) and the team was left without anyone running it and then new management came in and traded everyone and everything that they could find new teams for. Of course they did that in order to start a rebuild. It was my first season as a starter and I was hoping for a good season. What happened instead was that I was one of the 2-3 players they couldn't trade and stayed with the Lions. That was a little unexpected to be honest, but I handled it the best way any professional could and played the S48 with the good old 'skeleton crew' (greetings to my North Stars teammate @Massive Coiler here who was part of it then as a rookie). However, it helped my decision to join Toronto the next season instead of staying down longer.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

an unexpected event was me getting drafted by Chicago like 8th overall in the S54 draft. That was wild. I had a conversation with Chicago and I think it kind of ended openly, no real guarantees. I thought I was going to Hamilton, Texas, or somewhere in the 2nd round. Chicago really needed defensemen, and I am of course a forward, so I figured they would take two defensemen at 7 and 8 in the draft. On draft day I wanted to go to Hamilton, mostly because @Gwdjohnson seemed like a cool guy (what was I thinking). When Chicago took Vitecek at 7 I figured I was off the board for them, as it didn't make sense for them to draft a forward that high with no defensive prospects. Drafting two forwards was kinda wocky slush, so I thought I wasn't going there. Then they drafted me, and I was like oh yo I went 8th overall this is sick. Obviously things didn't work out with them and we had a public skirmish in the transactions thread, but they still drafted me so thanks chicago syndicate.

[Image: rotti.gif]

The most unexpected event that I experienced so far as a member of the site is seeing how unpredictable J drafts can be by looking at Quebec City's S55 draft. More specifically, looking at the draft in retrospect and seeing how unexpected it was for so many core members to be drafted in the very late stages in the draft where most other teams had already skipped. To start, we saw Quebec draft three very important players with their first three picks. Nothing unexpected yet. After their third pick, however, five of their next six picks would fail to provide active earning users for the team. This brings us to pick 55, Quebec's 10th pick, with only 22 players left on the board. Of these 22 remaining players, only 8 would go on to earn 425 or more TPE and Quebec City was able to find and draft 5 of those 8 players. The draft as a whole for Quebec was very unexpected in the sense that their successful picks were either made very early or very late and they were able to find a majority of their future core players by taking control of almost all the eventually successful later round players.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

An unexpected event that has happened in the life of William Salming happened a few seasons ago. He wrote an article about CF% and compared some analytics of SMJHL teams when it comes to CF%. He wrote that based on definition of CF%, elite player is a guy whose CF% is over 55%. Then he calculated how many players in each team dropped into that category. After releasing the article he got bad feedback because everybody didn't understand that article was written with a slight humor because everybody knows or should know that based on one statistic you can't define if a player is elite or no. However, Salming didn't took too seriously the feedback which was also given not so seriously but still it was an unexpected event that happened in the life of Salming. From that point on, he hasn't anymore wrote articles about other organisations. He has focused himself and only gives one print media interview per season, usually after season has ended.

[Image: salming.png]

Bit of a mix of both here, but for me personally, it would be when Jarmo/myself got moved from Nevada to Colorado way back in his first year in the SMJHL. I think the only time I had been traded in sim leagues before this was once in the VHL, and I had been told by my GM before hand, so this was completely out of left field for me. I had gone into a small dip of inactivity, missed a short amount of time. So maybe that played into me being moved? I know Nevada was trying to kind of gear up for a bit of a run if I remember, and they wanted Rock Strongo. Colorado got myself and a few picks if I remember correctly. Really worked out nice for everyone, I got to go to a team that was so welcoming and I had four really fun seasons there (not that NV wasn’t welcoming btw).

Alas, that time is over now as I make the jump to the bigs next year Sad

PBE Affiliate PT

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

I would like to take something quite recent that I did not expect and was very surprised when it was announced.
The recent New England Wolfpack trade where we sent Zemas player Alexander Oscarsson to the San Fransisco Pride in return for siddhus player Bjorn Jakobsen and 2 picks. While the trade does make sense for both teams with the upcoming expansion, to see Alexander Oscarsson traded away, a player/user who was recently the co- General Manager for New England Wolfpack is very surprising to me.
As mentioned, the trade does make sense for both teams in terms of expansion list protection, with New England Wolfpack previously having to leave 1 defender unprotected, and by obtaining Bjorn Jakobsen, they circumvent that as he is automatically protected. And for the San Fransisco Pride only having 5 defenders they would protect, adding Alexander Oscarsson adds no risk while adding a high earning player who is a great locker room presence! A double benefit for the San Fransisco Pride is the fact that Alexander Oscarsson already know many of the Pride players from Maine Timber or team Sweden.

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

Frankly, the biggest surprise of Daryl Urquhart’s career so far was getting drafted 23OA in the SHL draft. I know that doesn’t seem very impressive, but hear me out!!

As a late joiner to the league, only signing with St Louis 6 games into the regular season, I was already well behind most contemporaries, in terms of TPE earnings. This was compounded by my own confusion over certain things, like team training camp, and having missed any offseason PTs. Many of the others in the class had been DFAs as well, at the end of the previous season, so they had a better idea of their way around things. Luckily, I couldn’t have had a better, more supportive LR for my rookie season. With their help, I managed to certainly close the gap to my peers in the forthcoming draft, but still felt a way behind. I reckoned late 3rd/early 4th was where I was going! I was shocked to be picked at 23 by Seattle, and super happy. I did, of course, sour things a bit by having to go IA, and my future situation is unclear, but that surprise and elation will live on from the SHL draft, wherever I end up!

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Emilia Bergman -- as I've described in an article maybe a year and some change ago - was formerly a competitive figure skater. Her unexpected event came at the Junior World Championship in Bulgaria (and shortly thereafter) as a teenager: after neatly finishing a double axel, she found her landing to take a bit too long and found herself barreling into the side of the rink, effectively ending her run at the championship and embarrassing herself on nationally-shown Swedish TV. For days and weeks after the even, she was sullen and heartbroken -- but a second surprise ended up providing her with another opportunity to see the ice. Her friend Sigrid opted to try to get Emilia off of her lazy butt (as she had little motivation to skate after her mishap at worlds), and she was shown hockey on a random off-day instead of sulking her embarrassment away. The rest, as they say, was history: Emilia was convinced that she could show the neighborhood hockey kids a thing or two about skating, and with time she grew increasingly dedicated to the sport before eventually becoming noteworthy enough to declare for the SMJHL Draft just a handful of years later!

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

I feel like this 1 is quite easy to be honest cause when Jon Forty One entered the league he was quite a nice hopeful guy. But getting fucked over by the Vancouver Whalers and getting drafted way too low, Jon turned into just the biggest asshole. He is an asshole to the fans, his team mates, the owners, the refs, the opposition, etc. You name it, he is it. I think he has done very well considering all odds were against him but that is through sheer fucking will power more than anything else. Okay maybe also stubbornness but yeah that just changed everything ever.

Out of character I think nothing has changed in SHL for a long time. I will be reworking Jon and including my 1st failed character but we will see how that ends up going cause I may just merge the stories or something. As for future changes, nothing will probably change now cause if you look at the league its always Buf vs Ham too so every season is the same lol

[178 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Quote:(b) Describe an unexpected event that has happened in your player's life - anything, on ice or off, that surprised your player - and how they handled it.
Written Task: 150 words min. on one of the above.

As a Japanese native who only just moved to North America to become a professional hockey player Kawashima's draft profile coming into the draft was a huge suprise for him. Scouts were very eager in conversations with Kawashima and expressed great interest in the opportunity to aquire his services. At the end of the day it was the Anaheim Outlaws who say themselves get lucky enough to pick him up. As the latest early first round draft pick media attention surronding him became grealy big and he had initial struggles keeping his cool with all the attention. He would get flustered in interviews and feel like he woulds ay the wrong things. Since then Kawashima has gotten used to the life of a pro sports player and knows how to handle himself in these situations. He will always remember fondly of how great the interesting in him were and hopes to continue to deliver on the hope people have placed in him and his playing career.

Code:
166 words

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

When thinking back about an unexpected event in my players career, I have to think about some of the major highlights that have taken place.  For me the most unlikely was my first season in Hamilton after being left unprotected by Texas, drafted by Atlanta and then promptly traded to Hamilton.  I did not expect all of that movement but it ended up as a blessing as it allowed me to join the greatest SHL franchise in the history of the league.

In the first season, it almost seemed like my player was on a revenge tour averaging a point per game for much of the season.  While I couldn't keep up the pace, there is no denying that going from my rookie season in which I only put up 19 points to that first season with Hamilton putting up 42 in 50 games was nothing short of amazing.  It took me until just this past season to beat that point total and that was in 16 more games.  Certainly the RNG gods were shining upon me in the glorious season.

Code:
181 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks