Create Account

S12 CW: Rivalry Task

1. Minnesota/Hamilton: Always a heated battle when we play them, seems that all of our FA talent somehow ends up there. Its always a close game, and a fierce game.

2. Minnesota/Winnipeg: 2 out of the past 3 years we have met in the finals. Always an entertaining series with these twos. Poor Team Canada though, losing both McBride and Sawyer in their net, both goalies have tons of respect for each other, but they want to win and will play their hearts out to do it creating some frustrated goal scorers.

3. Edmonton/Hamilton: More fierce then the Minny/Hamilton rivalry but not as documented due to the Conference difference, fans absolutely hate each other and would love nothing more but to see the opponents player get destroyed.

1. Minnesota Chiefs vs Hamilton Steelhawks

For the last few seasons these teams were battling for the number 1 spot in the east. With the last seasons it being the deciding factor for the cup. The western teams didn't have what it took last years, putting more pressure on both the Chiefs and Hawks to win their series

2. Texas Renegades vs Hartford Hydras

The battle of the expension teams, the teams are rivalring eachother due to the fact that it will have to be seen which team can bring home the first cup. Texas looks like it's miles ahead though.

3. Edmonton Blizzard vs The rest of the SHL

The Blizzard seem to be in a continues battle against every other team. Not liked by many in the past, they have grown theirselves into a contending team in the west, that includes all the trash talk that is thrown to other teams like the Hamilton Steelhawks. The Blizzard want to hold up a bad boy image and is a rival to any team in the league.

How would Chiefs vs Jets rank here? I'm not sure, but with their appearances in the finals, they might as well have a top 5 rivalry.

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

SHL Rivalry

In every competition there is rivalry between teams and in the SHL that is no difference.

The first rivalry is off course between the two new expansion teams.
Hartford Hydras vs. Texas Renegades

The Hydras had a rocky start and they still are struggling to prove that they a competing team.
Unlike the Renegades they chose to keep their draft picks in the first year and went for a young team. But if this was a wise choice of the hydras only time will tell. One thing is for certain the Renegades are going to have the advantage this year since the hydras have hardly any picks. We can't wait to see what the future has in store for these two teams

The second rivalry is off course Dragons vs. Rage
This rivalry is not much a rivalry between teams but a rivalry between goalies. On the Dragons we have Jesster but the Rage has Heiss. Just think about how unstoppable a team must be if they played on the same side.

The last one is the most obvious one: Edmonton vs. ehhhh who isn't a rival from them.

To be fair Edmonton isn't the Edmonton we are used to. these guys are a serious contender and if they keep up this pace we can expect them in the final soon. The only downside this team has is their attitude. For most teams the game stops when the last buzzer sounds but for Edmonton it doesn't stop. They are known to harass the players of the ice as well which makes them unpopular with (almost) everybody else. Once they lose the attitude it will be a whole other story

1. Rage vs. Stars: This rivalry is almost brand new, but these two teams are certainly up and coming. I expect it to develop greatly over the coming years. However it isn't a nasty rivalry as both teams have great respect for one another. But I can expect these two teams to be ruining one another's playoff runs in years to come.

2. Steelhawks vs. Blizzard: There is just some bad blood between these two squads. Where it started I'm not sure, but its not getting any better soon. And those of us on the outside will watch these games light up with passion that is unseen anywhere else.

3. Jets vs. Chiefs: To be fair, this finals matchup is one that has great potential to create an even more intense rivalry. These are two highly competitive teams that really know how to play hockey. The most competitive games are often filled with the most passion and that creates a rivalry. I love this rivalry

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

I am going to take a different approach to this, I am going to talk about 3 different rivalries that I have been apart of. Starting to least volatile to most, here are my top 3.

Hartford vs Texas - Two expansion teams, two different philosophies. Challenge now, or challenge later for longer. So far, Texas and Hartford are both failures. Who will fail harder in the future? Only time will tell.

Manhattan vs Hamilton - Before the rebuild, Manhattan was one of the top contenders and they ran into a real strong Steelhawks team when Chisling was on the team. Frustrated by defeat, the Rage vowed to return to their glory and shut down the Steelhawks.

Calgary vs Las Vegas - SLAY THE DRAGONS! It seemed to be more of a jealousy thing, but the Kings were awfully interested in shutting down the Dragons more than making sure they earned wins. The Dragons players kind of enjoyed playing them as they seemed more interested in insulting the Dragons than playing hockey.

The Winnipeg/Minnesota rivalry isn't that much of a rivalry in my eyes. Sure they are always competitive, but is there that much bad blood? It seems to be rather professional in my eyes.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

1. Minnesota/Hamilton: We seem to hit each other in the post season quite often and it's a tough battle for either team to come out on top. I feel like this is a natural rivalry that will stick for seasons to come.

2. Hartford/Texas: A couple expansion teams that I feel are fighting to prove who is better faster. As of now they are both losing that fight.

3. Edmonton/Hamilton: This one is a given as a Steelhawk player, We honestly hate there players and they hate ours! Games between us are always chippy and when either team posts there's a shit storm.

Winnipeg/Minnesota: I don't really see a rivalry here other than both teams being good. But I would have to hear from the players myself to really have a solid opinion.

The rivalary between the Chiefs and the Jets is definitely growing as they are both two very competitive teams that have been solid for a long time. However I feel there are 2 rivalries in the league that are bigger.

1) Hamilton and Edmonton. Even as a newer member here the animosity between these two teams on the board is hard to miss. Every game between them there is always gloating on who came up ahead.

2) Hamilton and Toronto. Yes Hamilton again and this time with their provincial rival in Toronto. Both these cities are close apart and the fans for each respective team want to be able to brag that they have the best team in Ontario.

3) Winnipeg and Minnesota. This is where this finals rivalry slots in. As opposed to a hatred of one another, both teams respect each other as fierce competitors and know they have to beat the best in order to be the best.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

1. Blizzard - Steelhawks This rivalry is that of the Blackhawks and Canucks: two teams you wouldn't necessarily expect to dislike each other, but they've played each other often in recent history and have grown to dislike each other, especially with Edmonton's recent dominance of the league.

2. Jets - Chiefs Geographically speaking, this rivalry makes the most sense. Most rivalries in sports are divisional opponents who are close to each other on the map. This rivalry is no exception. They're ranked number two because they're two of the top hockey cities in North America, just 467 miles, or 752 kilometers, away from each other, and two perennial powerhouses in the SHL.

3. Jets - Stars This rivalry is more historic than anything. I sort of compare the Stars to the main character of Colin in the John Green novel 'An Abundance of Katherines': they try and try again over and over again with the same idea in their heads, the same main controls at the helm, but they just can't seem to get it right. Both are exceptionally good teams who see red each time they lay eyes on the opposing team's paraphernalia. One has won multiple championships, the other just one playoff series, but they still know how to put on a good game.

1. Hamilton v Edmonton : A classic case of bad blood and old wounds. This is a bitter divide that runs deep. Every game is do or die for bragging rights and the stakes couldn't be higher for either club's fans.

2. Hamilton v Minnesota : The Hawks and Chiefs have clashed hard each of the past few seasons both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Top teams and elite players make this rivalry more competitive than an ASG. Both clubs ramp up every time these two meet and the games are as close as you will find in the League.

3. Hamilton v SHL : The Hawks have constantly battled with the rest of the League in recent years. Known for their passionate and competitive spirit, the Hawks aren't ones for sitting back on their heels and their clashes with the League Officials in recent seasons have provided most of the fireworks seen lately. Factor in several suspensions, LR drama and trades....and its easy to see why Hamilton is always exciting and entertaining. Now its up to the players to use that US AGAINST THE LEAGUE attitude and apply it as motivation to get back to success.

Chiefs and Jets are elite teams and whenever they clash its provides some of the best hockey and competition the fans could ever hope to see. Both are recent Cup winners and their top players know how to elevate their game when the time comes. Anytime you get that many great talents on the same ice, its sure to be competitive and that's what a great rivalry is, competition. I think it's certainly worthy of mention but I don't know that its spilled over into that "bad blood drama" area that really fuels those historic rivalries.

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

3. Hamilton vs. Minnesota

The Eastern Conference Finals has been won by either of these two teams the last three years and it could continue this way for a while, unless the Toronto Stars jump into the mix. When long time Minnesota Captain Brodie Witzel decided to take his talents to Hamilton, a rivalry was born. And it has not disappointed. This is a newer rivalry, but I only expect it to grow.

2. Edmonton vs. Hamilton

There is a clear hatred between these two teams that is real. This is a more off the ice type of rivalry than on the ice, but it does not make it any less enjoyable. The Hawks are known around the league to complain and embellish calls (Montreal Canadiens) and the Blizzard are known more for their toughness and won’t take any shit attitude (Boston Bruins). The combination of these two mentalities leads to some pretty interesting hockey.

1. Edmonton vs. West Kendall

The rivalry between the Edmonton Comets (now known as the Blizzard) and the West Kendall Platoon is the greatest rivalry in SHL history. For a long stretch of time these two teams dominate the SHL. The rivalry has been down recently due to the fact that both teams have gone through rebuilds, but with the Blizzard back to Cup contention and the Platoon on the rise under great new leadership, expect this rivalry to come back to life.

Toronto - Hamilton

Pretty self explanatory. Bad mouthing in previous playoffs brought the rivalry to New heights, not to mention the close proximity of the two cities.

Calgary - Edmonton

The battle of Alberta, a lot like in the NHL. With these teams only 4 hours away from one another, they see a lot of eachother. Not to mention the fanbases that mix within the short distance apart leading to rivalry outside the rink as well.

Hartford - Texas

Not so much a rivalry in the way of the others but when two expansion teams are brought in at the same time, they will be forever competing to see which one turned out best.

As for the Minnesota/Winnipeg rivalry, I would have it ranked pretty low on my list as I have never experienced it. It seems like a pretty tame rivalry I'm my eyes.

Nr. 1
Edmonton/Hamilton
I'm not too long in this league, but going off from the opinions of the older members, Edmonton and Hamilton games always feature some kind of hatred, close games and a lot of fights and bad words.

Nr. 2
Winnipeg/Calgary
Another canadian rivalry of two teams that just can't stand each other apparently.

Nr. 3
Toronto/West Kendall
WKP needs to do better to get this rivalry going again. Maybe a playoff matchup between those two would help.

Where does Chiefs/Jets rank? I think playoffs can help building rivalries and especially final matchups do so. While I don't think it is a big rivalry, it's definitely one of the more intense matchups.

EDM VS. HAM: Rivalries are things many fans love. Right now in the SHL we’ve got a bunch of rivalries but the obvious most heated one is the Edmonton vs. Hamilton rivalry. Both teams hate each other’s guts, pre-game they chirp each, in game they chirp, and post-game they chirp. It is always a bloodbath when both teams meet, and many fans were hoping for a Steelhawks vs. Blizzards Final so the rivalry could brew even more.

HAM VS.TOR: Another rivalry is Hamilton vs. Toronto; both of these teams have faced one another in the playoffs twice in the past three seasons. Both series had Hamilton coming out on top. Hamilton hates Toronto, and Toronto hates Hamilton it is simple. Many of the Hamilton fans despise Darian Scherbluk for walking out on the team not too long ago.

HAM VS. MIN: Our last rivalry is Hamilton vs. Minnesota; both teams hold rich history, and have won one championship in the past two seasons. However, they have also met each other in playoff series more so than not and when the two meet it gets bad quickly. Hamilton proves to Minnesota at times they can be the better team but Minnesota always returns seeking redemption and earning redemption. It’s no doubt that this rivalry will just grow and grow.

Toronto v. West Kendall
The North Stars and Platoon wouldn’t be a close matchup in the current season, but the two, despite being 2,000 km apart, have been historical rivals. These two have been in the league since its very beginning, since Toronto was founded by JJ Krever and West Kendall was founded by Fernando Garcia. These are two of the most historic teams in the league, and their fanbases are some of the best in the league. The two teams even played each other in the SHL’s first Winter Classic.

Calgary v. Hamilton
Calgary and Hamilton used to be the two best teams in the league. In both Season 8 and Season 9, the Dragons and Steelhawks had a firm grasp on the lead of both of their conferences, and met in the championship twice. While Calgary won both times, the series was always close and proved to be a very strong rivalry.

Calgary v. Winnipeg
This is probably one of the most historic rivalries. Ever since Season 1 when the Jets traded the first overall pick to Calgary (who selected goaltender Ryan Jesster, a mainstay in Calgary since the beginning), these two teams have hated each other. While Edmonton fans have tried to create the “Battle of Alberta”, this rivalry has never truly worked, and Winnipeg v. Calgary is a rivalry with a lot of history, as seen in their matchup in the Heritage Classic a few seasons ago.

Past players:
(S3) C/D - Turd Ferguson (HOF)
(S7) LW - Anton Wagner
(S13) RW - Christian Bauer
(S18) D - Turd Ferguson, Jr.
(S30) D - William Goddard

Today, the TSN panel has released their top 3 SHL rivalries and have also ranked this year's Challenge Cup Final matchup amongst other rivalries.

1. Stars vs Platoon
The battle between these two original six teams has grown over the years, Toronto and West Kendall are two of the most storied franchises in SHL history and over the years have been involved in some of the most intense matchups. It is without a doubt that this rivalry will go down in history as one of the best ever.

2. Jets vs Blizzard
Another battle of two very historic franchises in the SHL. Winnipeg and Edmonton have fought through years of heated playoff matchups and tight regular season games and the most recent chapter of this rivalry came to life this season when the two teams met each other in the conference finals. The tensions were obvious throughout the entire season as the supporters of both teams wanted to see their team come out on top, in the end Winnipeg won in 7 games.

3. Jets vs Chiefs
This fairly new rivalry comes in at 3rd place, Winnipeg and Minnesota are going at it for hockey's greatest prize for the 2nd time in 3 seasons and it's sure to be a good one with all the emotions, battles and memories of the Season 10 finals, the Jets will be out for revenge after their heartbreaking game 7 loss, meanwhile the Chiefs will be looking to confirm that they are the better team once again by winning their 2nd Challenge Cup in 3 seasons.

Code:
Words: 265