Create Account

PT 2 - I Wanna Be Like You

There's many good role models to follow but one stands out. I was able to follow him since his rookie season and he's been someone I've looked up to for a long time. 

His name is Viktor Vorkämpfer. Playing a physical game through out his carer he leads his team by example. Playing hard at all times in both ends of the rink and is by no means unfamiliar to scoring and assisting. 

If one would lead a career with half the hits and points Viktor has racked up one could say they had a great career, this speaks just how great Viktor is. 

Watching Viktor boss skaters around for most of my youth made a clear imprint on my own hockey style, I spent a lot of time watching Viktor and then trying to emulate him. 

I would say Viktor is one of the reasons I stayed up late at night to catch the games live, and how my love and dream of one day making it to the SHL.

If I was to be able to play with or against Viktor would be a great honor and I'm hoping he's still around when and if I make the SHL.

I do not dare say I'm coming after you but I'm going to try my best and hopefully by the end of this adventure I will have earned your respect!

RETIRED

[Image: ZT2bo8g.png]

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

It was a long preseason, but it went quicker than I thought. I had lots of questions. My GMs have been amazing, but for goalie specific stuff, there's been one man: Friedrich Schmidt. He's twice the goalie I'll ever be. Graceful in skating, quick in movement, perfect position but can laser across the crease if he needs to. Training with him in warm ups has been a blast. I'm finally learning how to use my body to artificially create the size that I certainly lack, but presenting myself as big and not slumping or hunching.

What I really want to work on is emulating his size, style control, rebound control, and hand speed. While some of those are my strengths, there is so much room for improvement. Working on the drills with Schmidt and the coaches has really enlightened me on my weaknesses as a goalie and person, and hanging out in the locker room with everyone has inspired me to keep working towards SMJHL greatness. We have alumni still hanging around because our locker room is the best (shhh don't tell anyone).

I'm looking forward to proving myself as someone that my GMs want to hold on to, someone that my teammates want to stand up for, and someone that will continue to pop up on lists of late round steals long after my playing career is over.

229 words

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

[Image: MunXHg7.png]
@MP7

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

[Image: PT_2.jpg]

[Image: HansSHL.gif]

Word count: 302

As a strong-skating, scoring power ,forward--who plays on the left wing--a player that I aim to emulate is Patrikov Bure of the Simulation Hockey League's Hartford Wolf Pack. I look at Patrikov Bure's player build and career trajectory as a working model for my own career. When you look at Patrikov Bure and then look at Jack Kennedy, it becomes crystal clear why Patrikov Bure has been such a role model for how I conduct myself on and off the ice. To begin with, both Patrikov Bure and I share similar physical traits along with playing the same position. Moreover, as a player and a teammate, Patrikov Bure has achieved great success-- of which I hope to follow in the footsteps. Most significantly, Patrikov Bure is a three-time challenge cup champion. This is obviously the ultimate prize. Patrikov Bure was made an alternate captain because of his great leadership abilities. While I'm quiet in the room right now, in a couple of years I will be in a position to lead vocally in the room and demonstrably on the ice. Individually, concerning player attributes, Patrikov Bure is an incredibly well-rounded player. This, too, is my ultimate goal. When you look at Patrikov Bure's skating (86), puck handling (90), passing (84), scoring (90), and defense (83) it is obvious that he has put in his time training to gain such TPE. While my TPE is minuscule in comparison, my scoring (80), skating (74) are what make us comparable players with me being at such a young stage in my career. Seeing Patrikov Bure's success in the Simulation Hockey League, and looking where he started (same league and similar skill set as I, Jack Kennedy), I cannot help but envision the same good fortune for myself--all I got to is put in the work.

[Image: cK9Gzxg.png]

[Image: mTgAyCs.png]

“Jordin FourFour, definitely.”  Cedric Robinson doesn’t even need to think twice when asked about his childhood heroes.  “I grew up watching Renegades games with my dad, and he would always show me old clips of Jordin FourFour making crazy acrobatic saves and stealing games.”  The childhood connection is great and all, but it takes a special breed to emulate FourFour’s style and success.  Robinson, at first glance, is cut from similar stock.

Robinson plays a decidedly different style, avoiding the butterfly that dominates modern goaltending, but was fortunate enough to sprout up to a towering 6’7”.  At only 17 years old, Robinson stands only one inch shorter than FourFour himself.  Thanks to his tremendous size, Robinson displays flashes of number 44 by using his big body presence in the net.  “I didn’t know what to do when I broke 6 foot [sic] as a teenager, so I just kept watching old film.  The way Jordin FourFour used his height and mass to cover the net was a huge inspiration.”  The Falcons draftee has a similar way of reading plays, as well.  “Back then, it was easier to stay up and look over heads, get a grip on the play.  I borrowed that from Jordin and use those looks to keep track of key players.”  His ability to monitor the styles of forwards on the ice and track the action has kept Robinson successful much like his role model.

Even the stylistic decisions between the two are similar.  “FourFour got away with staying in his crease a lot,” Robinson pines, “and letting his defense pick up the play behind the net.  I really prefer doing the same.”  While FourFour’s decision may have been preference, Robinson covers up his weak skating by staying post-to-post.

“I really want to be like him one day.  Hall of Famer, a Challenge Cup champion, maybe even work in a front office sometime.”  Robinson has big plans for the future, and a good head on his shoulders following one of the league’s best ever.

When you think about people to try to emulate, one has to think about Los Angeles Panthers center -- Yuri Boyka Jr. A member of the Soulja agency who happens to be a friend of my agency. Both of our youngest players happened to be very similar. Bust sees Boyka as a potential role model for Bust in terms of playing style. Both of them are roughly the same height and weight and excel in the scoring department. Bust has about a 77 rating while Boyka has a 95 rating. It would be impressive if one day Bust could reach that mark.

Not only that -- but Boyka is a great character for the locker room and that is something Bust strives to be. Bust is hoping to vocalize himself more often and in a better way by becoming a leader similar to Boyka Jr. Lastly, Bust wants to emulate Boyka Jr.'s skating ability. Skating is an immense attribute for the current SHL and Boyka is an elite skater with a 95 rating. Bust currently has a 75 rating and knows he will have to improve his skating ability long term in order to become an elite player in the league. Bust currently looks up to Boyka and who knows, maybe one day they will play together.

Being a rookie in the SMJHL has been an absolute dream come true, Colorado has been the perfect place for me to end up, and I think it’s the right place for me to develop and become a better player. Despite a lackluster preseason, I was able to start the year with 2 points in the first two games, including my first career goal in front of our amazing home fans here in Denver. It’s hard to think about players that you want to emulate, like you want to be able to carve your own path, but there are players you look up to and here about that have gone through the system. For me, that’s a guy like Nour Harrak (@nour ). He’s a player that’s been around, even he’s only been around 6 seasons more than I have. But at the same time, his skating and stick handling are exceptional, as are his passing. That’s the kind of player I want to be when I make it to the SHL. My skills aren't there yet, but it's one day at a time to grind out to get to that level. I’m hoping to be a pass first guy, which Nour isn’t, but those parts of his game are exactly what I want to emulate and hope that I can bring to my team both here in the SMJHL and eventually in the SHL.

Word Count: 235

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Standing at 6'3", and weighing in at 250 pounds, Svatoslav Bodnar of the Seattle Riot is an intimidating presence on the ice. While he doesn’t have an affinity for scoring, Bodnar knows where to be on the ice and can lay a mean hit on anyone who happens to be in his path. As a young defenseman, this style of play is almost exactly what SMJHL rookie Jake Reid is looking to learn from, while mixing in his own talents of course. As another big defenseman, comparisons between Reid and Bodnar came quickly. When asked about Bodnar, Jake Reid had this to say.

“You know, I just look at the guy and I’m always impressed by his play. I mean, he skates hard, and he’s really hard to knock off the puck. Definitely a guy I look up to and try to learn from his game. He could drop the gloves a bit more though”

While both players are strong defenders who know how to play the body, Jake will have a long road ahead of him if he wants to reach Bodnar’s level. Particularly, Jake will need to make some significant improvements to his puck handling and skating skills, that some say are lacking. Only time will tell if Jake Reid pans out in the SHL, but after speaking to him, I think he’s happy with his progress so far.

[Image: qz8wzYd.gif]

One player that I have always admired is Chris York of the Toronto North Starts. I mean, whats not to like, the guys can literally do it all. There are some similarities and some major differences between our two builds. For similarities, we both have a strength in scoring. For Chris, this leads to him being one of the most prolific goal scorers in SHL history. Ryan Mason has a long way to go to get up to that level, but its a good goal to shoot for. Another similarity is that both of our builds play a strong two-way game. York and a 90 at defense and Mason has a 70, which is tied for his highest stat. With all that being said, there are a couple major differences between the two players. To start with, Ryan Mason is a power forward while York is more of a pure sniper. Ryan Mason has a little bit more edge to his game and is more likely to drop the mits than what York is. York is also more disciplined and takes less of the dumb penalties than the young Ryan Mason does. All in all, Mason has a long way to go, but York is a great player for him to try and emulate.

[Image: mason_sig_3.0.png]

There is no one player I really look to as a player I want to emulate. I have my own ideas about where I want to be and how I want to play. If I would be forced to pick one there are a number of options to look at. Any prolific scorer from the past would be a good start. You can look at names like Alex Light who was really strong in the SMJHL in the past as someone I could look to copy in the short term, while names like Flacko and York show up as recent models at the SHL level. Having a relation to the Minnesota Chiefs really draws me towards looking at the golden years of Lord Pretty Flacko as my direct and ideal career. Playstyle is always important and Flacko with his strong skating and shooting was one of the most enjoyable players to watch. He would be on the ice for more minutes than any other forward I could think of at the time, really being relied on to put the team on his back and make it run. He was the Chiefs engine up front for a number of years. In season 36 he was the leagues top shooting player, and also led the league in assists. If he had gotten a bit more luck with his shooting at the time he could have realistically had led the league in both goals and assists, which is not something most players set out to do. At the time he had perfect (99) shooting, skating and puck handling, which is exactly what kind of game I want to play at this level as well. I want to be able to hold onto the puck and make sure I can get myself chances on net. I do enjoy being a reliable player up and down the ice as well, as that is important to succeed if you are to become the heart of any team. As I only have midlevel skills for the junior level right now in these three skills (73 SC, 68SK, 64PH) I have work to do to get to a dominant level now and in the SHL for sure.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM by Bonk.)

When looking at the current SHL superstars in the league there are several names that come to mind Visser, York, Kurczewski, but certainly not Anrikkanen that old man is over the hill. Although when it comes to Lil’ Manius looking up to a player there is a lesser-known star and that star is the Winnipeg Jet’s winger Corey Bearss ( @CBear ).

Granted Lil’ Manius and Bearss do have some differences Bearss is a left winger, Manius is right winger. Manius has strength as a weakness and Bearss has checking as a weakness. Although Manius and Bearss are both solid two way forwards. Both players have puck handling and defense as strengths.

How could I not want to player like Corey Bearss. Just look at his season 41 numbers. The man put up 70 points consisting of 30 goals and 40 assists. In addition to the offense, bears proven himself as monster when it comes to the physical game, by having 181 hits. Just to put a little ice on the cake by have 13 block shots not bad for a forward. All this earned the most first and second star games for the Jets this past season. Although it is hard to draw any type of statistical comparison between those numbers and Lil Manius’s less than stellar six games in the SMJHL premiere

Word count ~225

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

I want to be Roman Augustus ( @TheDangaZone ).

As i grew up, i always saw Sir Roman Augustus as a distant father figure. The one father i never had. You see, he was to me what Bill Cosby is to everyone else; a gigantic TV superstar leading an honest christian life being a perfect human being. Daddy Augustus, on the other hand, was and still is a gigantic superstar defense man hockey hall of fame legend god.

Everything i did, i did it to get his approval. Everything i said, i said it for him to notice me. Every time i smiled, i thought about one of his many game seven winning goals. Oh Mr. Augustus, you don't know how much i need you.

Roman Augustus is the reason why i always wanted to be a defense man but, Billy Bob the third, my pee wee coach, needed a center... so i played center. And got quite good at it. Just like my daddy i specialize in defense and discipline, killing Penalties and things like that, you know.

My hard work made me reach my idol's attribute total in discipline. We're both at 62 and i'm so excited about that!

I wanna be you.

Yours truly,
Mr. Faceoffs.

Code:
206 words.

[Image: Faceoffs-sig1.gif]