Create Account

S64 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 10:00 AM by Spartan. Edited 2 times in total.)

Task 1 - 3 TPE
Gatorade

Task 2 - 4 TPE
a. Having been traded to Atlanta earlier in my career and getting to know some of the folks in that LR and on the team, I think I will root for Atlanta despite also having friends on Chicago. It's good for the league to see new teams rising up and challenging for championships instead of the same 3-4 teams every season. But Otter good GM, I root for him.
b. I don't really know, turnovers are nice and all but just have a better all-around game otherwise. Will need a strong goalie performance and shooters to do well. A game isn't purely reliant on generating turnovers, I don't think it's as important as it might be made out to be. I also don't know who each of the teams played against, but those turnover numbers could be skewed based on competition levels.
c. Unlike my thoughts on turnovers, I think penalty minutes can really determine a series. Gooning it up loses cups, unless injuries were turned on and you're taking out other teams' best players. Being disciplined means keeping your best players on the ice, and drawing penalties takes the other team's best players off the ice. Discipline will be a large factor for sure.
d. I can't really speak for tactics or what can work, or even try to compare to a prior year's finals. Each team is different and clearly Atlanta has been doing something right in order to get to the point they're at now. Sheltered minutes may be a little questionable in the finals, so hopefully their players with more minutes can handle the extra ice time.

Task 3 - 4 TPE
a. NEWFOUNDLAND LETS GOOOO. If I'm Quebec's coach, I'm shitting bricks knowing I have to go against the best team in the J - ever. You're not shutting down Rash or Thor, they're simply elite and you can't stop elite. Maybe mitigate them a bit, but other players will step up in typical Newfoundland fashion in that case.
b. 20% is a pretty high shooting percentage, and I'm not sure if that's really sustainable. I'd have to see their shooting volume as well to know if it's really that gamebreaking, or if it's just luck. I'm not too concerned about shooting percentages, especially in the finals since both teams are the best of the best if they've made it this far.
c. Hot streaks are certainly nice, and it'll provide a nice morale boost for Quebec as they come into the finals. For Newfoundland to make it this far while also knowing that they've been unlucky means that they still have the potential to turn it on and take it up another notch. To me, that's even scarier since a finals team has room to play up to potential while the other team has already been over-performing a bit.
d. Continued success is difficult to maintain, and of course all good things must come to an end. However as an alumni of Newfoundland, I can speak to the dedication of the organization's management and the quality of players in that locker room. Regardless of when the playoff success falters, everyone should be proud of how the organization has developed players and experienced success in the minor leagues. It's really furthered the SHL as a whole by continuing to give players a good experience while preparing them for the pro level.

Task 7 - 3 TPE
+3 Milestones

Task 20 - 3 TPE
Well if it was $2 million in SHL money, consider it useless since inflation runs RAMPANT here in this league. Like sheesh, everything is so expensive man, life's tough out here. But if it was real life money, the first thing that everyone should have on their list is to upgrade this damn forum so it doesn't look like it's straight out of the 1990's. Like come on, this is setting the league back years. I don't think an upgrade would be that expensive, so the second purchase would be to hire developers to create a proper portal, to do player updates on, automate audits, integrate player/team stats with the respective teams, and basically just bring the league up to par with the other sim leagues like VHL, EFL, SBA, etc. From mild testing with OOTP, it is possible to upload ratings files if you create the players in FHM/OOTP first and then identify them in the ratings pack and then match updated ratings to the player, this was a test done a couple years ago though. But yeah I think new forum and portal development would be huge for the league.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 06:35 PM by Matteo. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Trivia (Hopefully 3 TPE)
Word: Word

5. Cup Check (3 TPE)
Through mathematics we can determine that the Four-Star Cup is the more prestigious trophy to win in the league. This is a player spends just four seasons in the juniors, competing alongside 14 total teams, so on average a player would win the Four-Star Cup in their career just over a quarter of the time. Compare this with the Challenge Cup in the SHL where there are more teams at 20, but players can spend as long as they want chasing a championship. Let's say for argument's sake that a player spends 10 seasons being useful in the SHL (as in being good enough to sign with a competitive team), this puts the average odds for a Challenge Cup at 50%. In fact, a player would only have to spend six seasons in the SHL to have better average odds at a Challenge Cup than an SMJHL player would have playing four seasons. Of course none of this accounts for whether a player is on a perennial contender or not so that would be another factor to consider as well.

7. Milestones (3 TPE)
+3 here

17. Substitute Teacher (2 TPE)
Hello class! Welcome to Fast Finnish Fun Facts, where we're gonna raddle off as many fun facts about Finland as we can in 100 words. Let's begin. First, did you know that the Finnish language has roots closer to Hungarian than any of the other Scandinavian countries? Second, Finland is heavily wooded, having 74% of their total land covered by forests, more than any other country in Europe! Third,  there are more saunas than cars, with Finnish people enjoying one sauna for every 2-3 residents. Last, Finland offers free schooling at all levels, including university! I hope you all learned a thing or four about Finland today, and hopefully one day you'll come visit!

20. Ruthless Capitalist (3 TPE)
There are many ways you could make the SHL profitable (and objectively worse) with way less than $2 million, but the money will be handy to run a marketing campaign and get lots of eyes on the site. What you would have to do to turn a profit is what every predatory mobile game and video game nowadays (cough cough EA) does, make everything pay to win. Every week you can buy +3 training for SHL money, but if you want +5 you'll have to buy the battle pass. Need more site money? Well since media and graphics pay almost nothing now, Twitter is a thing of the past, and site jobs are done as actual jobs, that'll be $2.5o for $100,000, $10 for $900,000, $50 for $60,000,000, or $150 for $200,000. Notice how steep the price increases are and how the lower levels give you just under what you'll actually need to buy training for example. Next, there are no more PTs, it's now a clicker game where you can spend gems to get things that click for you. What are gems you ask? Well they're separate from the other site currency, and they can only be obtained through the battle pass or by purchasing them. Also there are thousands of ads on the site now.

21. Epic Loot (3 TPE)
For my Materia item, I'm going to enchant my goalie stick and mask so that every time I hit someone with the stick, they're immediately afraid of me and skate as far away as they can, as fast as they can. This should keep my crease clear and make sure I always have a good line of sight on the puck, while still keeping the game interesting enough that the other team is still able to score on me. How it'll work is that there will be some sort of magical connection from the stick to the mask so that it knows when I want it to activate, and when I do, the mask will make an illusion where it morphs into something that the opposing player has only ever seen in their deepest darkest nightmares, though only that player will see it. These items will appear ordinary and almost boring at first, just pure, jet black with a little bit of yellow detailing, but when looking at them through peripheral vision it almost looks like there's a billowing yellow smokestack coming off them. This quickly disappears when the items get focused on. These are only two of the items in the "goalie gaslight" set.

22. Be nice (2 TPE)
There are so many great people that I've met on this site that I could fill up the 100 words just on pings. Going back to my beginnings, to everyone in QCC, both people who have been there since the start and people who have joined along the way, thank you all for being so kind, so funny, and most of all just for being yourselves. Tuesdays have become my favourite day of the week thanks to y'all, I'll always cherish our crazy game nights and look forward to all the next ones. Going to where I am now, Chicago, thank you guys so much for bringing me into this hilarious, chaotic locker room and making me feel so welcome all these years, letting me in on all the inside jokes, spamming my name every time I make a save, and so much more. Thanks to both these teams I can never go on Discord and log off without getting a smile on my face at some point. For the first time ever both of these teams are in their respective finals at the same time, and I just want to say that no matter what happens I love everyone in both these locker rooms and I'm proud of how far we've come.

3+3+2+3+3+2+trivia=Over 16

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022, 09:40 AM by Bfine. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. JNH
+3 TPE

5. I think the four star is a more impressive cup to win than the challenge cup. As a GM, you are mainly dealing with new people to the site that may not even update, and it’s your job to scout them and take that risk. With how competitive free agency is in the J, the fact players get locked in to their capped builds, and the fact that players can only be on your team for 4 seasons, it’s a shorter and faster timeframe that I think makes it more difficult to GM in the J. In the SHL, you can generally know how good a prospect is by the time of the draft, and players tend to play in the SHL for about 10 seasons vs the 4 they play in the J. While both cups are difficult to earn, I think the timeframes surrounding the J make the four star the more impressive cup.
+3 TPE

7. Milestones
+2 TPE

15. I think Canada is going to be the team that wins the gold this season. They are the only team in the IIHF that has 4 players with over 2000 TPE in Rock Strongo, Gudmundur Kristjansson, Sarah Burke, and Kev Kevens. Canada also has the infamous Aaron Wilson as Federation Head, and thus get the patented HAM strats to help them win. The only challenge may be that they are also in a group with defending champions USA, however I think Canada has the edge this season for the gold, and I do think the USA gets bronze. Silver I think will be between Sweden and Japan. This is going to be a bias pick, but I think Japan gets the silver medal this season. Japan consistently finishes in the top 4 of the IIHF, and while Sweden has a strong team, Japan tends to perform very well in the playoffs specifically, and I think they’ll come away with the silver.
+3 TPE

16. When I first joined the site, I saw Russia didn’t have a lot of players, and thought it would be fun to make a player with an ostensibly Russian name. However, the opportunity came up for me to become a Federation Head, and I knew a lot of people that played for Japan and was interested in moving over there and becoming the Federation Head. I was talking to Ham the whole time and he told me he was interested as well and we should submit a duel bid to become Fed Head. We were given the job, and that’s how my Russian player ended up on Japan.
+2 TPE

21. First of all I love that it’s called Materia, solid reference. If I’m getting a magical piece of equipment, I’m definitely getting a new stick that has magical powers. The first power is a rocket shot, whereas the shots the player with the stick makes are so fast it would be almost dangerous for a goalie to even try and save it. However, I believe the stick would need some kind of defensive capability as well. I think it should have the ability to cause blowouts, meaning with a subtle point of the stick an opposing player will wipe out on command, not only embarrassing them but also giving up possession of the puck. Finally, just because it’ll be an overpowered stick anyway and there’s no limit on the powers it can have, I’ll have the stick also grant super strength, making it easier to lay down big hits as well as set up screens in front of the net.
+3 TPE

16 TPE

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

CW pass because I spent hours writing the darn thing.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=665ea534&is=665d53b4&hm=80...8cd6be61d&]
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 01:02 PM by TheFlash. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Olivia

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a) So obviously, it's over. Atlanta lost. But I actually thought Atlanta would win. I did a write up on the teams in the East, and said Atlanta had a very good team. Said they'd be a top team for many seasons from here out. I'm not shocked that Atlanta lost, because Chicago is very good and has been. FMH seems to favour these top dogs for some reason. But I think Atlanta kept it close and could easily be back next season.

b) Smart passses. Take your time, make the right moves. Treat it like a game of chess. Look up, see your options, and make the smart play. Against a smart, veteran team like Chicago, you need to outsmart them to beat them. Not sure how it ended up in terms of takeaways, but I bet Chicago was able to take advantage of some turnovers.

c) Discipline is so important in the playoffs. Can't give the other team a chance to have the man advantage. So hopefully both teams do their best to stay out of the box. The team that can take advantage of the power play, use their time to score some big goals, they'll come out on top.

d) I'm a big fan of a balanced attack! I think depth always wins out. Having players sheltered, you can only protect them so long. If they're going to play, there's always going to be a chance for them to get taken advantage of by the stronger players on the other team. Depth wins out, especially in a long playoff battle. And I think the evidence shows that to be true, since Chicago won this year! Balance wins the day again!

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

So in terms of which league's trophy is more prestigious, I think it has to be the SHL. Nothing against the SMJHL, but it's just a stepping stone for everyone. Is it awesome to win? Yeah it is! I've won one with a previous player. Both cups are long battles, and both feel great to win! But the SHL is the goal for every single player that creates. No one is a career minor leaguer around here. Your goal is to make the big leagues, and win it all. Simple as that. NOW, that being said. Harder to win? I'm tempted to give that to the SMJHL. A GM in the minors only has so many seasons with a roster to put it all together and win. You get three, four seasons tops with your elite players (who aren't even at their peak until they spend two seasons reaching the 425 cap) and then they're gone! in the SHL, you get these guys and can have them their whole career if things go as planned, and they grow to 1500-2000+ TPE. The window for a SMJHL GM is barely even open, it's a very small chance.

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.]

Milestones  +2 TPE

Code:
16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

So my player, Jarmo Kekalainen, is from Finland. He's a real person, former NHL player turned St Louis Blues assistant GM/director of scouting. I'm a lifelong Blues fan, and was really getting into them when he was hired. He scouted and drafted a lot of the players that built up those like late 2000's, early 2010's teams for the Blues, which was when they started to step out of the leagues basement and be competitive again. So my player is from Finland, only because his namesake is. I just thought it was a cool name, and wanted to be a bit different than my normal, Canadian name. So role play for me.

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

The playoffs definitely weren't as I expected them to go this season. The first round went well, although I did think that Tampa would put up more of a fight against Atlanta. I thought for sure that in the second round, Hamilton would falter after their lackluster regular season, but they squeaked one out against Buffalo. I was really happy to see San Fran beat LAP, they were the team that drafted Jarmo, so I've got a soft spot for them. Atlanta beating Baltimore (who had to be the team that most people thought would win it all back before the season) and then Hamilton to go to the finals, really cool to see. Love seeing a new team step up and take their place as one of the top tier teams. Ultimately, the finals. Things were close, but Atlanta just couldn't get it done. I think they've got a good shot next year, but I really did think this was the year.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 05:36 AM by advenny4. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: LATVIETIS

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 TPE - SMJHL Milestones

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Hype (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Do you think the same teams will be on top this year, or are we due for some turnover? How are you feeling about your country’s chances this time? Any players that you think will light up the tournament?

I have two feelings. I played both tournaments and I would like to see both of these tournaments. I'll start with THE IIHF tournament. The forecasts will certainly be boring, because mostly I think there are a couple of favourites and then there are other teams. I want to add Sweden, USA and Finland to the favourites. It seems to me that there will be the next champion between these teams. From the sub-final teams, it could be said that Latvia, Austria, Russia and Germany will split the sub-table sites. If we're talking about THE WJC tournament, I'd say I can only forecast some of my team's positions, because it's not really time to keep track of everything. I would like to say that our team will be one of the leaders, because our offensive line is at a high level. I would like to say that all the lines are very good. And because of a strange coincidence, I have come to the Swedish team, which is a great surprise to me and an ordeal at the same time.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

In my opinion, both quarterbacks are equally strong and difficult to get, because yet the player's career is not so long as to be able to win all the eventual caucuses. It's hard. In fact, it is also a matter of luck, where you come and be able to fight for a trophy. But if we look at it as a whole, it would be logical that the adult-level tournament trophy is superior and much more difficult to get. Looking at the Cup winners in advance, though, it's hard to find quite a lot of teams out there that have accomplished it. There are teams of favourites in the big league and then there are others chasing them, but I think there should be leadership shifts soon, too, as the old leaders will start to paginate and have to make a team remake that certainly won't happen soon enough. I would like to leave the caucuses as they are, because the Junior Cup is also a big challenge, which is certainly important for the young players to be able to motivate themselves even more.

Code:
3. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Four Star Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?
b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?
c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?
d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

a. I would certainly encourage my players not to be afraid of such caliber players. All of us are human beings and can be mistaken, and I think these players will be able to do that too. The key is to work hard in defense, and to track down opponents. If it works, I don't see any problems.

b. Pressure must be exerted on these players, the more they will be covered, the worse they will get. And with such tactics, they will start strescentuating and feel uncompromising. It's also what should be done to stop them. They have every chance to do it. The second option is all simple, shots need to be blocked.

c. All hockey is, in some ways, a game of success, because if the two teams meet in the finals, it means that tactly they are the best teams and good luck will make it all right now. I think this hot line might end up and go over to the other team. I think it could happen, and Quebec has already been pumped out.

d. Newfoundland is just a wonderful team. I want to see how long such dominance will continue, because so far I haven't heard of such teams that have been in leading positions for so long. It's certainly a big plus for them because they already know how it is to play in the finals and Quebec will need everything they can to break the dominance of that team.

16/16

Toms Zīle - young talanted latvian goalie

SMJHL GM CW pass

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2022, 01:03 PM by sulovilen. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:

verification word: lomake

+3 TPE

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestone link
+3 TPE

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Recovery
Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, you’ve gotta' find time to heal up some of the injuries you’ve earned over the season. Show me your player doing their favourite relaxation or resting routine, whether it’s for physical wear-and-tear or mental exhaustion, how do you fix yourself up?
[Image: gHBjVAu.png]
+3 TPE

Code:
13. Graphic, 2 TPE, Put a Ring On It
No, this task isn’t going away yet. I’ve decided it can stay… for now. Design a championship ring for either team, you may use the fancy ring site. Here's a link: https://designer.trophysmack.com/productdesigner/index/index/id/97/template/MTUz/cid/MzMwMDA2MzU2Mjk2Mjk=

[Image: lEyJAEo.png]
+2 TPE

Code:
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!
Walton Stromberg comes from Finland, and so do I. Honestly when I joined the site, I did not put any thought into it as I did not even realize there are international games in SHL. So I just went with the first country that came to mind, and that happened to be my own country of birth. Even though I now know the league and how things go in here, I would still probably make the same choice. International games aren’t somehow super interesting to me, although I do try to catch at least the playoff games if I am awake during them. And Finland has been a great choice in hindsight, because I’ve managed to win both WJC and IIHF tournaments! (122 words)
+2 TPE

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?
While it would be intriguing to start making money with SHL, I have a feeling that once the players realize there’s one person milking money for one’s own benefit, people would just leave. So I am not going to take that risk, and instead improve the league. For starters I would do some research on game development companies, and choose the best one that could create us a 3D sim engine, that would meet the exact needs of our league. I would pay them up to 1 million dollars for that, because that would be an aspect that no other sim league has. Watching games would be amazing, and the sim would impossible to be exploited. The other million dollars I would use to hire a few of our core users to work full time for the next couple of years. They would work between game devs and HO to make sure our requirements will be met, and they could also work on the index, bank and other backend stuff. There would be way more stats available, and you could check each game’s boxscore and highlights. etc. Casino / betting would also be integrated in the index. (197 words)
+3 TPE

[Image: sulov.gif]

Simmer CW Pass BABY!
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 08:57 PM by Dangles13. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer
Verify

2. Written, up to 4 TPE
a. I ate yesterday and yet I am hungry again today. It's curious how we use that analogy but then we pretend as teams can only get hungry once. Chicago is a rapidly aging team that may only have this one last kick at the can and for that reason, they are my pick to win in the Finals.

b. I think when you are facing a veteran team that has seen almost every scenario you can throw at them, you have to double down on becoming unpredictable. You have to be bold and take chances that don't fit into conventional hockey wisdom. This could mean you make some costly mistakes but it also means you might expose a chink in the armor of one of the best to do it.

c. Discipline is always important but I don't think Chicago should be considered any more undisciplined than Atlanta. Five of Chicago's penalty minutes come from a fight and depending on the circles you run in, that is considered a good thing in the playoffs. I don't think you make the finals this often by accident and the Syndicate know how to play on the edge.

d. Most teams that run a balanced approach do so because they have the players to accomplish it. If you had enough good players then you would want to keep throwing them over the boards too. It's always possible to win with a top-heavy lineup if the depth is breaking even but the Syndicate have a tight knit group who know how to win.

3. Written, up to 4 TPE

a. Newfoundland is dangerous in all positions and there isn't one adjustment you can do to stop that kind of talent. The players have to stay cool and smart so they don't let their emotions play for them. You have to get the team to defend as one unit and make sure the D isn't activating and breaking your coverage.

b. The Zerk's approach is the same for all players and teams. Constant communication and making sure we are doing what our system calls for. If everyone is in their spot and doing their job then it becomes a lot easier for the defenders and the goalie to read the plays. If the process is good then the results should follow.

c. PDO benders are more of a mirage in the regular season than in playoffs. Each series is a relatively small sample size compared to the regular season. I don't think it is unreasonable to see both Newfoundland and Quebec ride their hot/cold streaks through the finals with the Zerks winning it all. You can have bad luck and still get a lucky break intermittently.

d. I have to admit that I am nervous about losing this series. This season hasn't had the same feeling like the past one, even though the results are similar. I have to trust in the process and the team that has done it time and time again and stick to our plans.

5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check
I have spent many years in the SHL and last season was my very first Four-Star win and for that reason, it is the harder to win. The windows are smaller in the SMJHL and you can't be bad for a few seasons while rebuilding. You really have to land in the right situation or catch lightning in a bottle to earn this award.

I have managed in both leagues and I find the SMJHL to be more fun but more difficult. You get very little time to scout a prospect and you are often relying on gut instinct to get your roster set. The free agents are non-existent and trades are hard to come by because we all want the same thing. As a process-driven individual, it can be tough to fly by the seat of your pants so often but that is what makes it fun. In the SHL you can be slow and methodical and the margin for error is forgiving but it does have its own perks. Seeing your team grow into a contender is a fulfilling experience.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3208795

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 11:56 AM by Highhaschdi. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for
each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked
below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get
credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Feuer

Code:

3 TPE

[Image: Haschdi.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 06:21 AM by Ronniewalker. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:

Verification: Burp!

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

A. If I were a betting man, the recent decade in the SHL has shown us that it’s very rarely a good idea to bet against experience even if the other team has a sizable edge in talent (which the Inferno don’t anyway), so I would unfortunately have to bet against the Atlanta Inferno, who I would otherwise in fact really like to see win their first Challenge Cup. (68 words)

B. I think the Atlanta Inferno will just have to try to force their game and their own strengths onto their opponents, just like they have thus far in their journey to the finals. While Atlanta can be said not to have met with an adversary the like of Chicago yet, the same can be said for Chicago also, so both teams will have to take some time to feel out their opponents at first, before making any drastic changes to their respective styles of play. (85 words)

C. Discipline will be a huge factor in this series, for sure. But despite Chicago having amassed the larger amount of penalty minutes of the two so far, Atlanta will have to be careful to not let themselves be goaded into needless retaliations against their more experienced foes. Chicago’s vets have all the cunning tricks in them that you might expect from a team with so many grizzled veterans and Atlanta will have to have nerves of steel to withstand them. (80 words)

D. I think the more balanced approach will again prevail, because Chicago has the depth to overwhelm the Inferno no matter how well they stash away those weaker lines. The closest anyone has come to beating them so far in these playoffs were the Texas Renegades and they were another team with a very similar balanced build wherein all three lines carry a viable offensive threat without discounting overly in defensive prowess. (71 words)

Code:

+3 TPE - S64 milestones

Code:

I am estonian myself and so is Lemo, my first player here in the SHL. When I joined up, I had as yet no real knowledge of how the international tournament system works or how national teams get selected. I didn’t even know it was pretty much a given that everyone should be able to find at least some team to participate in international play if they are even a little bit interested. So I made Lemo an estonian as well and thought that if it enables him to maybe one day play on a Team World or something then that would be fine, but if not, well what the hell… But as I got to know my way around a bit and my first season was starting to end and I started getting calls from various national team managers to recruit me for their own nation, I felt right away that while it was neighboring states of Latvia and Sweden that approached me first, it was Finland that I wanted to represent myself, since finnish hockey is almost the only hockey I had a chance to see on TV when I was a kid and in any international tourneys I was always on their side. So representing the Leijonat in the SHL was something that I would genuinely take pride in! (222 words)

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)
Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!

I’m going to give a quick Estonian perspective of Finland. Finland is what we like to think of as our big brother state on the other, northern side of the Gulf of Finland. While Estonia is said to be one of the Baltic states, throughout our history many estonians have felt a much closer emotional and cultural bond to the finns on the other side gulf than to the other baltic nations. This is perhaps most evident in the similarities in our fenno-ugric languages, especially when compared to the completely different languages of the other baltic states Latvia and Lithuania. On the map, Finland is this big slender country to the north of Estonia, squashed between Sweden and the mighty Russia. It’s only slightly wider than Estonia, but about 5 times as tall, reaching far beyond the polar circle in the north. Unlike the Baltics, Finland managed to attain and retain their independence of the Soviet Union during the 20th century and this proximity of a ‘free’ nation (though there were also times when this was called in question in Finland as well) also had a huge effect on Estonia’s outlook on the world, as for instance, TV signals from Finland could reach at least the northern part of Estonia, giving us the chance to see a world so much different from our own existence in the Soviet Union and also serving as a constant reminder of the possibility of a different way of life. There was also decades of - though limited and controlled by the authorities - cultural exchange and Finland was thus a hugely important window to the rest of the world for us. (277 words)

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

This season’s playoffs finally brought us some tangible evidence (instead of just the vague glimmers of hope that we’ve soon had extinguished in many previous seasons) that there might actually be a kind of changing of the guard at hand. Hamilton and Texas both finally failed to make it to the finals and while Chicago has also been a regular contender, the Atlanta Inferno taking the Eastern conference crown was a very welcome sight for most of the league at large. The same can perhaps also be said of the San Francisco Pride making their way to the Western conference finals, although they did succumb to the eventual Challenge Cup champions there. Hopefully next season will see even more ‘new’ teams make the last two playoff rounds. (127 words)

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 09:22 PM by Crazylemire. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

joeblow

6. Dream Team

I was set out to create the perfect SHL line for my player Kayden Pale to be on. Who I would put on my lines and why? Well I will put some players that I have played with that have really impressed me by there style or accomplishments.

My Center on this Team I would probably go with the Young 61 Seattle Argonauts Rookie in Max Mannings, Mannings is an excellent leader in the room and for many diffrent Canada Teams him and Kayden Pale have been apart of Organizing together Max and Kayden have both aged out of WJC but will remain behind the bench for the team as coaching staff this just shows too the amount of leadership in this young player also the Canada team apart IIHF has picked max too be apart of there team aswell for this upcoming tournament.

On the Right slot I would probably put in S62?Newfoundland Berkshires Jeff Larrson, Larrson has really soliafited his career in the WJC posting huge points in last 2 seasons also the season before that he played Defense and put up incredible ratings for not playing his own position.

Finally for the Sniper we all been waiting for too slot in at the Right side will have too go with the one and only Buffalos Greyson Cooper , Cooper put up an Absolute show in the juniors for Quebec Kayden Pale has yet to see someone have that good of a season J or Pro , Cooper is a really special peice and would be the main piece too this forward group.

well when it comes too Defense I Guess I will slot in my Player Kayden Pale Obvs just to get him in somewhere but I would also want too bring in his mentor and partner Sven xyslaft of Buffallo this guy is unreal and is great player for this whole young roster too look up too

https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=446626
(PBE PT affiliate)

+3 TPE - Milestones

12/16

Quote:
Citadelles

CW PASS BABY

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Smjhl ho cw pass

[Image: FJPVyys.png]